ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Cougs hire new BSB coach from NM State

You have to like his resume and track record. He recruited the kids he needed to win the WAC to NMSU. He will be able to recruit to Pullman.

I also like his resume but then again I liked that of Lees. That said, I am pleased and optimistic. Glad to see that Chun grabbed him before Knight's wallet came into play.

His first assignment- and I am sure that Chun has informed him of this- is to recruit the current team. The more talented players thinking of transferring need to be dissuaded.

I also like his resume but then again I liked that of Lees. That said, I am pleased and optimistic. Glad to see that Chun grabbed him before Knight's wallet came into play.

His first assignment- and I am sure that Chun has informed him of this- is to recruit the current team. The more talented players thinking of transferring need to be dissuaded.
Serious question: is there talent on the team?

Serious question: is there talent on the team?
Many of the pitchers had impressive stats coming out of high school. The field guys, not so much. We could certainly use more in that area, You have raised a good point and put your finger on a problem. The Cougs need more starting talent and depth. Our new coach has his work cut out for him.

Moxee also touched another and major problem. The talent that we currently have has not been developed.

I read elsewhere that Green signed a 5 year contract at $315,000, and that he was making $115,000 at NMSU. You wonder how poor old WSU can get these up and comers to settle for us, then you see the numbers. Wow.

Marbut made about $188,000 his last year. Lees supposedly was hired at about $250,000, but then we (me) saw him on the state salary list at around $300,000. Not opining on whether this is too much, just right or too low. Chicken scratch compared to FB salaries in any case......

Just watched Green's introductory news conference and came away very impressed. His priorities and philosophy are exactly what I wanted to hear. His resume is solid, he has a great presence that should play well in recruiting. Green stressed the importance of teaching and developing players into the best they can be. His success at NM State looks great, but I know it won't be as easy to turn around WSU's program while competing in a very tough Pac-12. Still, you get the feeling, after listening to him, that the Cougars have a chance to become competitive in a relatively short time.

I wonder if he'll bring his pitching coach from New Mexico State with him. Anthony Claggett pitched some for the Yankees and Pirates not that long ago. Wouldn't hurt to have that kind of resume on the staff.

Glad Cougar

I wonder if he'll bring his pitching coach from New Mexico State with him. Anthony Claggett pitched some for the Yankees and Pirates not that long ago. Wouldn't hurt to have that kind of resume on the staff.

Glad Cougar
I'm a pretty big Yankee fan and I had to look this guy up.

2 games as a Yankee, 1 game in Pitt. but stuck it out in the minors for 5 years PRIOR and a couple years after his MLB stint. He loves the game, obviously, for him to stick it out in the minors for that long.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/claggan01.shtml

I watched the press confess well. Most coaches sound good at an introductory press conference. However, he really seemed passionate about being a Coug and he definitely has a plan on how to build a program. I am looking forward to paying attention to both baseball and basketball again

Glad, I actually see the turnaround work as being very similar. NMSU is remote, with a tiny media footprint and small budget. They compete against larger and better heeled schools and have to bring their recruits in from elsewhere. Coach Green built them into a team that was a major force in the league. Yes, the PAC is a tougher conference, but the athletes available to WSU are better than what was available to NMSU. I suspect that we will be OK. This was the track record I was hoping to see.

I watched the press confess well. Most coaches sound good at an introductory press conference. However, he really seemed passionate about being a Coug and he definitely has a plan on how to build a program. I am looking forward to paying attention to both baseball and basketball again

I am feeling the same way. After a miserable showing in basketball and even worse on the diamond, we now have a couple of intriguing coaches who will spark interest if nothing else. And that is something that both programs have recently lacked. Apathy was prevalent in those two and now we can at least lift our heads and start paying attention again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT