ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Gordon stakes claim to starting QB job with stellar spring game

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Story: https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/...m-to-starting-qb-job-with-stellar-spring-game

D4pEhDEVUAE5aOf.jpg

Gordon is TOOO INCONSISTENT, like he has always been.

He had a good scrimmage, followed that up with a 3 to 6 interception scrimmage, followed by a good spring game.

That is NOT consistent, good enough.

And as good as Tinsley has been all spring, (better then Gordon), Tinsley reminds me of Dave Krieg, good but fumbling, accidentally have the ball slip out get intercepted. That like Dave Krieg is NOT good enough, but will have to be, if Gabrud is not ready to go.

So NO Gordon will not be the starter.

Gage will be the starter. Its his job to lose.
And if Gage is not able to go, Tinsley will be the starter.

While I think you are right about Gabrud ending up the #1 QB this fall, Leach had a ton of praise for Gordon after yesterday's scrimmage and seems very happy with how Gordon is playing right now. I've seen nothing this spring that would clearly indicate Tinsley would be the starter if Gubrud isn't. Tinsley doesn't seem to have the same dynamic play as Gordon. I don't know where you got the 3-6 interception scrimmage for Gordon....he had 3 passes intercepted, period. Not 4, not 5, not 6.

Glad Cougar

Thats still BAD, when you throw 3 interceptions during a Saturday Scrimmage.

Sat Scrimmage #1: He had a good scrimmage. About 115 yards, about 1,2 TD's, no interceptions

Sat Scrimmage #2: Terribly bad scrimmage with 3 interceptions.

Spring Game: He had a good scrimmage. Only 1 interception.

Totalls about 375 yards, 4 interceptions, 4,5,6 TD's

Thats still INCONSISTENT.

Tinsley:

Sat Scrimmage #1: About 150 yards, 2,3 TD's 1, or no interceptions

Saturday Scrimmage #2: About 150 yards, 2,3 touchdowns 1, or no interceptions

Spring Game: About 150 yards 2,3 Touchdowns, 1 interception

Totals:

About 425 yards, about 6 TD's, 2 interceptions

More consistent then Gordon.

Also Trey has similarly been more consistent then Gordon in practice.

Your reading too much into 1 game.

Gordon had a good, great game. Leach acknowledges that.

But Gordon having 1 good game does NOT make up for INCONSISTENCY.

And Leach recognizing that Gordon had a great game, does not mean Leach will forget all of GORDON'S inconsistency, and make him the starter.

Leach VALUES CONSISTENCY.

Trey Tinsley has been consistently good in past. He pushed Minshew. Tinsley was consistently ok in practice, scrimmages, spring game, NOT interception prone like Gordon has been.

As long as that trend continues into fall camp, Leach will remember that, and Gage be starter, with Tinsley the back up, and Gordon #3.

Now if Gordon can take his spring game performance, into fall camp, and have fall camp scrimmages, like his spring game, and be consistently good, then Gordon might beat out Gage for being the starter.

I jst dont think its likely that Gordon becomes consistent.

I will believe it, if I see it.

Gordon definitely played better than Tinsley, but to say he played "stellar" is quite an exaggeration. I watched the entire game, he was far from stellar. Minshew had some stellar performances last year, some average ones, and some poor showings. That was an average/solid performance IMO. Let's also not forget that him and Tinsley were playing against a vanilla defense scheme (typical for scrimmages), that didn't do any blitzing.

I too believe that Gubrud will more than likely be the starter. He's proven, and he did some great things at Eastern. Plus he will have a top tier WR corps that exceeds anything he ever had at Eastern. Granted he will face tougher competition and D's, but I still think Gubrud has the ability to take us to an overall higher level of play than either Gordon or Tinsley.

If Gubrud is ready and brings his game similar to what he did at Eastern, I think we could be in for another really good year. I'm envisioning another Minshew like performance/stat sheet from Gubrud.

"I likethe fact that Leach isn’t reshuffling based on one day’s work. But if Gordon has many days with 3 INTs, he’s going to be looking up at Cooper."

Said 95coug

Like I said, Gordon threw at least 3 interceptions, in 1 scrimmage, was INCONSISTENT

"If you watch the highlights, Gordons picks were on him as well. These weren't bad breaks or phenomenal defensive plays. It's the biggest concern with Anthony Gordon. Those type of individual performances cost teamsgames"

Said Etowncoug

Again shows that he threw 3 picks, a lot of interceptions in 1 Saturday Scrimmage during spring practice, and shows that he is INCONSISTENT.

Dont see comments like the ones I copy pasted, posted about Gordon, being posted about Tinsley.

Why?

Because Tinsley is MORE consistently ok, semi good, better, more consistent then Gordon

I'm happy with Gubrud, Gordon, or Tinsley (or Cooper, Bledsoe, and Cruz, for that matter). Mike Leach will make the right choice and, as a fan, I'm not really interested in pitting one against the other. I'm rooting for all of them.

Glad Cougar
I think it's really tough to gauge their overall consistency without the same cast of players around them consistently. Leach will pull out another horseshoe and pick THE guy that gives them the best chance to win. Has anyone asked him his prediction of wins based on who the starter is?

I think it's really tough to gauge their overall consistency without the same cast of players around them consistently. Leach will pull out another horseshoe and pick THE guy that gives them the best chance to win. Has anyone asked him his prediction of wins based on who the starter is?
Does CHRISTIAN HAANGANA have a brother that can play DT? He is one large man.

I saw him hold his ground a couple times against McDougle, while McDougle generally pushed everyone else back.
Remember this guy at 400? Couldn't/wouldn't/ didn't have to bend his legs in high school.....just lean on em' and fall on him.

He had a good scrimmage, followed that up with a 3 to 6 interception scrimmage, followed by a good spring game.

And as good as Tinsley has been all spring, (better then Gordon), Tinsley reminds me of Dave Krieg, good but fumbling, accidentally have the ball slip out get intercepted. That like Dave Krieg is NOT good enough, but will have to be, if Gabrud is not ready to go.

Wasn't Gordon a 2.8/ 2 star or a 3.4/ 3 star recruit out of high school? I believe Gubrud was just a 2.6 or a 3.1, so I am going to go with Gordon this fall. :D

Reactions: longtimecoug
I saw him hold his ground a couple times against McDougle, while McDougle generally pushed everyone else back.

It's amazing what this conditioning staff has done with many of our players. Haangana is a different body.

Gordon clearly has a better arm than Tinsley, and while Tinsley is no statue, Gordon is more agile/elusive. It's a safe bet it'll come down to Gordon and Gubrud.

It's amazing what this conditioning staff has done with many of our players. Haangana is a different body.
Hats off to whomever took a good chance on this guy. Someone must of said that this guy would look good at 345. Don't know if he's a weight room junkie (something tells me he a video game/Doritos/can of bean dip junkie in HS), but if he was- he'd a be the strongest player on the team.

Gordon clearly has a better arm than Tinsley, and while Tinsley is no statue, Gordon is more agile/elusive. It's a safe bet it'll come down to Gordon and Gubrud.
I agree.....although..all 4 QB's have had their moment which led me to ask about how many wins could you get with each one. Do you think they'd have a winning record IF they had to start one of these five. What if they had to start Aaron Angelos? If I were a Big Sky team...I'd be watching Bledsoe and Angelos.

It’s too early to press the panic button with regard to Cooper, but he’s clearly struggling to aclimate himself to the speed of the game.

I’m somewhat concerned, if only because you typically know very early on when a young QB has “it.” Right now, for my money, Cruz looks ready to take the position over next Spring.

Thanks coach

I agree.....although..all 4 QB's have had their moment which led me to ask about how many wins could you get with each one. Do you think they'd have a winning record IF they had to start one of these five. What if they had to start Aaron Angelos? If I were a Big Sky team...I'd be watching Bledsoe and Angelos.
Interestingly, Bledsoe had a scholarship to Big Sky's Northern Arizona coming out of HS but opted to walk on at WSU.

Glad Cougar

I think we’ll find the right guy by game 1 in the fall. There are summer workouts, fall camp/practice.

I am pleased that we have a lot of options as it pushes everyone to be better and better. We will have the right guy next year.

Enjoy the process.

I think if Gubruud doesn’t capitalize we could have a Menkenbaum situation. I think both these QBs will drive Leach nuts. Which sucks because the offense is pretty loaded everywhere else (thin at RB but Borghi is all PAC12 good)

Gubruud needs to lock it down and quick this fall.

Gubrud will start. Mark it down in ink. He’s Minshew with better wheels.

Go track his stats - and then say it was all Kooper Krupp (it wasn’t). He could have gone pretty much anywhere in the country for his grad transfer. This isn’t some schlock FCS backup. He’s Vernon Adams with a better arm and math skills. And for certain Vernon Adams would walk in and start for this Coug team.

All this hand wringing over Tinsley and Gordon is like debating Farmers vs Allstate homeowners insurance is better. You only care in the case of catastrophic events. And even then they both pay out about the same.

Leech knows this. Tyler’s passing put a gap in the succession plan. Gubrud will fill the gap fine.

Last edited:
Gubrud will start. Mark it down in ink. He’s Minshew with better wheels.

Go track his stats - and then say it was all Kooper Krupp (it wasn’t). He could have gone pretty much anywhere in the country for his grad transfer. This isn’t some schlock FCS backup. He’s Vernon Adams with a better arm and math skills. And for certain Vernon Adams would walk in and start for this Coug team.

All this hand wringing over Tinsley and Gordon is like debating Farmers vs Allstate homeowners insurance is better. You only care in the case of chaotistrofic events. And even then they both pay out about the same.

Leech knows this. Tyler’s passing put a gap in the succession plan. Gubrud will fill the gap fine.

Agree with the general take, but it's a bit of an overstatement to say he's Minshew with better wheels or could have gone anywhere. I think he could have gone to Utah if not WSU, certainly, and perhaps some other places, but I don't think Saban was texting him.

I agree he has better math skills than VA ... Vince Young and most farm animals have better math skills than VA.

Hard to tell too much based on past stats ... Minshew's stats weren't anything special, but he had a different mental approach at WSU than in the past and just let it rip, all while having Air Raid experience and having trained with Mumme. I don't think we can expect what Minshew did, let alone anything better. Expecting that out of anyone is a pretty tall order. I think we're getting an experienced, physically capable player who can do some good things but probably won't know the offense as well and may suffer from some inconsistency.

In any case, again, agree with the main point. He should start over Gordon or Tinsley. I'm glad those guys will both stick around, presumably, in case he gets hurt.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT