ADVERTISEMENT

Suudy or any other rules "expert"...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
Ol Miss guy catches ball with his feet in the end zone but the ball doesn't cross the goal line.
Touchdown?

What if the ball curves around the outside of the pylon and is caught in the back of the end zone

Ball has to cross the plane and be a “catch.”
Interesting. I see so many touchdowns where the receiver shows great body control to keep his feet in bounds and stretches to catch a ball a yard outside of the endzone.

Ball has to cross the plane and be a “catch.”
Key point is the plane of the goal line is extended up and out "infinitely". But that extension applies only when the player is on the ground. So considering that case where the receiver leans out of bounds but has a foot in bounds, the ball passed through the plane of the goal line at some point.

Consider another case where a runner is going down the sideline. If he stretches and the ball breaks the plane outside the pylon, but his feet are still in bounds, we use the "goal line extended". However, if he leaves the ground, say diving, and the ball passes outside the pylon, it is not a TD--ball is dead where it crossed the sideline. I think the NFL has slightly different rules on this, but I'm not sure.

Similar example is the punt rolling near the goal line. The player can be in the EZ and so long as the ball doesn't break the plane, the player can down the ball. It is the ball that matters, not the player. (Though out of bounds is different, which is where the controversy over that fumble by Stanford in Pullman a few years ago--and for the record, I think the officials got that one right.)

Reactions: 79COUG
Interesting. I see so many touchdowns where the receiver shows great body control to keep his feet in bounds and stretches to catch a ball a yard outside of the endzone.
In those cases( side of back of the endzone ), the ball crosses the goal line in the air to get to the receiver. In this case the ball never crosses the goal line at all.

Reactions: 79COUG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT