ADVERTISEMENT

Tapa...still in school

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
any word on his return to the team. Re-watching the Holiday Bowl when he collapsed 2 offensive linemen to get to the QB. Thought he had great potential. Even one more season would help.

any word on his return to the team. Re-watching the Holiday Bowl when he collapsed 2 offensive linemen to get to the QB. Thought he had great potential. Even one more season would help.

I posted this awhile ago and, like now, there isn't much reaction to it. This is kind of puzzling because the interior d-line really needs more big bodies. Here's hoping he regains eligibility this spring and is in shape. He's not an every-down d-linemen, but no one is in our system. Heck, we even had a rotation in 2002, which kept guys like Rien Long fresh.
It also will be interesting to see how Jesus Echevarria, the walk-on from Archbishop Murphy, looks this spring. A former Seattle Times red chip selection, he seems to have pretty quick feet for a guy at 330 plus.

Waiting to here he's eligible and taking part in off-season conditioning or spring ball.

Last edited:
I posted this awhile ago and, like now, there isn't much reaction to it. This is kind of puzzling because the interior d-line really needs more big bodies. Here's hoping he regains eligibility this spring and is in shape. He's not an every-down d-linemen, but no one is in our system. Heck, we even had a rotation in 2002, which kept guys like Rien Long fresh.
It also will be interesting to see how Jesus Echevarria, the walk-on from Archbishop Murphy, looks this spring. A former Seattle Times red chip selection, he seems to have pretty quick feet for a guy at 330 plus.

Lazy, inept media.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Leach doesn't publicly discuss eligibility, just like he doesn't discuss injuries.

I hope Tapa is eligible this spring, or failing that, this coming fall. I think he would make a difference.

Leach doesn't publicly discuss eligibility, just like he doesn't discuss injuries.

I hope Tapa is eligible this spring, or failing that, this coming fall. I think he would make a difference.

Things might change pretty quickly on the DL if it turns out Tapa is eligible and we land a JC DT (in addition to the one we already have) ... new offer went out to one today.

An in shape and motivated Tapamay be a dominant D lineman.
Agree but "shape" was part of the issue and I wouldn't expect time off helping in that area. When you are ruled ineligible how long does it take to regain? A semester or a full year?

Tapa definitely showed flashes if he can put it all together.

There are many "ifs". If he is still in school and if he has been working out are key factors. If he is eligible for spring ball will determine if he will be able to help the team.

If I recall correctly, this would be at least #4 Of a guy trying to return after being booted?

Never seems to work, but we’ll see......

Kufasi
LaRue/Farrar
Priester
Tapa

Was Calvin Green & Dochery also in this situation too?

He was not"booted' as i recall. I believe tat he was an academic casualty.I wonder if did stay in school on hie own resources? If so,that does show some grit and determination. Does any on have any real info as whether or not Tapa is still in school?

If I recall correctly, this would be at least #4 Of a guy trying to return after being booted?

Never seems to work, but we’ll see......

Kufasi
LaRue/Farrar
Priester
Tapa

Was Calvin Green & Dochery also in this situation too?

I (vaguely) remember Drew Loftus getting booted but earning his way back on the team and getting some PT before graduating.

Also bears emphasis that, as ElC writes, he wasn't "booted" but instead was reported to have "left the team" after becoming academically ineligible. See, e.g., https://www.cougcenter.com/2017/7/26/16046380/tapa-harris-sakaria-all-leave-team. I wouldn't be surprised if he simply became academically ineligible and it was characterized as him "leaving" the team since a couple other guys did at the same time. Hopefully he's in shape, has been hitting the books, and has a path back to getting on the team.

He was not"booted' as i recall. I believe tat he was an academic casualty.I wonder if did stay in school on hie own resources? If so,that does show some grit and determination. Does any on have any real info as whether or not Tapa is still in school?

My poor memory says that ElC is correct in this. And if you want to talk academic casualties who took a detour & eventually returned...doesn't Mark Fields fit that description?

He was working on "academics" last spring according to reports and didn't take part in spring drills. It obviously wasn't enough. At the time I thought he was not only academically ineligible but gone. Obviously that doesn't appear to be the case. Hope he works it out in the classroom obviously to play but more importantly for his future.

He was working on "academics" last spring according to reports and didn't take part in spring drills. It obviously wasn't enough. At the time I thought he was not only academically ineligible but gone. Obviously that doesn't appear to be the case. Hope he works it out in the classroom obviously to play but more importantly for his future.
Cmon you just want to see him play

Cmon you just want to see him play
No doubt! Most of us our WSU alums though (i.e., not just "fans") and see more of the big picture. One of the things I admired most about Leach when he was hired was the value he placed around graduating his players. Talked about it in almost every interview.

Reactions: kougkurt

Once again, his name is in the WSU directory, and keep in mind that Martin Jr. and Johnson-Mack are not. So ...

Last edited:
My poor memory says that ElC is correct in this. And if you want to talk academic casualties who took a detour & eventually returned...doesn't Mark Fields fit that description?

Fields was out of school his junior year and managed to restore his eligibility by way of a JC. I do not believe the current "academic progress" toward a degree requirements were in place back then. I'm hearing Tapa is fine gradewise, but was short on credits counting toward a degree.

I (vaguely) remember Drew Loftus getting booted but earning his way back on the team and getting some PT before graduating.

Also bears emphasis that, as ElC writes, he wasn't "booted" but instead was reported to have "left the team" after becoming academically ineligible. See, e.g., https://www.cougcenter.com/2017/7/26/16046380/tapa-harris-sakaria-all-leave-team. I wouldn't be surprised if he simply became academically ineligible and it was characterized as him "leaving" the team since a couple other guys did at the same time. Hopefully he's in shape, has been hitting the books, and has a path back to getting on the team.

I thought Loftus got booted again after coming back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT