ADVERTISEMENT

Tavares Martin Jr. Declares for 2018 NFL Draft

He actually wrote that note in a classy way and needs credit for that.

Wish him luck , but do not see NFL for him . Maybe Canada or Arena. Too bad he could not have patched things up, a good senior year and who knows.

Reactions: Cougatron
He did the right thing thanking everyone and moving on. When he started to go after his teammates and started to get complacent with his standing (like sleeping through meetings) and what not he needed to move on to somewhere else.

This is a much different scenario than when Marquitter left, and honestly I hope Tavares makes it. He had a lot of growing up to do. I think he's made a lot of strides since he was arrested and got the second chance at WSU, and he's matures quite a bit (obviously not completely, but he has grown up some and that should be recognized too).

I wish him the best and hope he can make something out of his talent. This was his dream. He's got this shot, hopefully he can make something happen.

Reactions: Tx64
Go get'em, Tavares! What a classy announcement of his plans.

TMJ does have a reason to play nice. Remember when Marquess Wilson asked if he could go to Pro day at WSU?

Anyway, I hope this was a choice, not a necessity. I hope his grades are in order.

that's what I've been thinking...wondering if he wasn't doing the classwork. Not doing classwork will get you kicked off the team when you already have strikes against you. I hope he is successful.

Good for you Tavares. VERY classy. Hope CML and WSU lets him participate in NFL day at WSU if he so chooses, and helps put aother Coug in the NFL.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Guy quit with a game left on the schedule. I'm guessing Leach will tell him he can hold his pro day at Pullman High.

He actually wrote that note in a classy way and needs credit for that.

Wish him luck , but do not see NFL for him . Maybe Canada or Arena. Too bad he could not have patched things up, a good senior year and who knows.

HE wrote it? You mean his agent wrote it. Full on damage control mode.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
TMJ does have a reason to play nice. Remember when Marquess Wilson asked if he could go to Pro day at WSU?

Anyway, I hope this was a choice, not a necessity. I hope his grades are in order.

Grades are my suspicion as well. Regardless, I hope things work out for him in life.

Regarding pro day, I’m not sure how I feel about it. He had several team conduct issues from what I understand, culminating in him walking out on his teammates (his explanation) or getting kicked off the team (Leach’s explanation) prior to our bowl game.

If Leach plays hard ball and tells him thanks but no thanks, I’d understand his position. Send a message to the future generation that being in the program carries with it a team responsibility. I can’t tell my company to piss off and walk out before our biggest trade convention of the year and later ask them for a glowing letter of recommendation. Life lessons.....

Reactions: Coug95man2

Let's play the speculation game. I am totally making this up, as I have no idea if true or even close to being true. They are friends having gone to high school together. Near the end of the semester, they are talking to each other about how much they are tired of school, Pullman, etc. Heck, toward the end of each long semester, I was tired of school and Pullman. I think a lot of us are.

So, they get to talking to each other, A LOT. Their tiredness of school and Pullman begins to snowball between themselves to the point where they actually decide to leave school. They dream of the hot weather and beaches in Florida, instead of the monotonous classes and cold weather at WSU.

It was a quick and rash decision. But, once they decide to miss the bowl game, there is no going back.

I do not know if true, just one possible scenario.

Grades are my suspicion as well. Regardless, I hope things work out for him in life.

Regarding pro day, I’m not sure how I feel about it. He had several team conduct issues from what I understand, culminating in him walking out on his teammates (his explanation) or getting kicked off the team (Leach’s explanation) prior to our bowl game.

If Leach plays hard ball and tells him thanks but no thanks, I’d understand his position. Send a message to the future generation that being in the program carries with it a team responsibility. I can’t tell my company to piss off and walk out before our biggest trade convention of the year and later ask them for a glowing letter of recommendation. Life lessons.....

This is one where we will get an answer. My guess is that he will be allowed to use Martin Stadium for his pro day. He didn't use a torched earth policy like Wilson. He is showing contrition. I think Leach will chalk this up to a 21 year old making a bad decision.

Reactions: Coug95man2
This is one where we will get an answer. My guess is that he will be allowed to use Martin Stadium for his pro day. He didn't use a torched earth policy like Wilson. He is showing contrition. I think Leach will chalk this up to a 21 year old making a bad decision.

Bad decisions have consequences. His consequence may be not getting a WSU pro day, and I'm fine with that. I don't wish him bad will or anything like that, but if he wants to be a big boy he gets to deal with big boy consequences.

I'd have slightly more respect for this move if he was 100% forthcoming and said "I let my grades slip" or whatever instead of this subterfuge and smokescreen like nothing happened at the end of the season. "Whatever mistakes" isn't exactly forthcoming, in fact its a cop out.

how many second chances are reasonable to give someone? We'll see what Leach decides but if I were he I'd feel like I'd been burned more than once after granting multiple opportunities

where does one draw the line?

Last edited:
I'd tell him to try one of the Florida schools for pro day. If doesn't want to be at WSU, he should move on.

Who rolls before the bowl game? That's another game film for the NFL or even your next team. He is not very bright. Be a businessman and make strong decisions for your career. Young guy or not, get your head on straight. Good grief.

I'd tell him to try one of the Florida schools for pro day. If doesn't want to be at WSU, he should move on.

Who rolls before the bowl game? That's another game film for the NFL or even your next team. He is not very bright. Be a businessman and make strong decisions for your career. Young guy or not, get your head on straight. Good grief.
Nobody rolls before a bowl game. Is it possible he was getting ahead of a suspension or removal from the team and that CML has taken the high road?

Reactions: BiggsCoug

Agree 100% with Biggs. TMJ made a decision and he should live with it. If he had played in the bowl game than announced the transfer, I would feel differently. As it is, he made the decision that he was not part of the team when we needed him and that should have consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT