ADVERTISEMENT

Tentative return date set

Darn, thought the curve was flattening. Turns out testing dropped 30% in the last week. Maybe it means fewer cases, but wasn’t testing needed to reopen?
Testing is critical to any reopening. It’s the only way to identify a second wave and control it.
Not sure why testing would drop so significantly, but the rapid tests are finally supposed to be getting distributed this week. Those should provide health care with better response tools and help respond to positives more quickly. It’s also likely to create a new spike in confirmed positive cases.

Testing is critical to any reopening. It’s the only way to identify a second wave and control it.
Not sure why testing would drop so significantly, but the rapid tests are finally supposed to be getting distributed this week. Those should provide health care with better response tools and help respond to positives more quickly. It’s also likely to create a new spike in confirmed positive cases.

Abbott is working to ramp up production of rapid tests. Will be churning out 2m a month by June, they say. https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...date-on-abbotts-work-on-COVID-19-testing.html

One reason for fewer tests is that fewer people are showing symptoms and asking to be tested.

One reason for fewer tests is that fewer people are showing symptoms and asking to be tested.
IF they had started say a few weeks earlier...they would be producing several millions a month for every essential worker...starting with healthcare and first respondors along with contact tracing and essential workers. That's several hundreds of millions here in the US before June 2021' when a vaccine in projected.

IF they had started say a few weeks earlier...they would be producing several millions a month for every essential worker...starting with healthcare and first respondors along with contact tracing and essential workers. That's several hundreds of millions here in the US before June 2021' when a vaccine in projected.
Where are you seeing June '21 as vaccine release timeframe? Everything I've read is 12-16 months to develop, test, approve, produce, and release said vaccine.

Reactions: Cougzz
Where are you seeing June '21 as vaccine release timeframe? Everything I've read is 12-16 months to develop, test, approve, produce, and release said vaccine.
Taking an educated gues, those initial numbers were taking into account clinical trials and standard protocol, which has been all but thrown out the window now.

Taking an educated gues, those initial numbers were taking into account clinical trials and standard protocol, which has been all but thrown out the window now.
I guess nothing is off the table, but I would be amazed if the powers that be authorize for human use a completely untested vaccine without proper clinical trials. Can you imagine the liability if there does happen to be unknown side effect if this vaccine were to be given to 10's if not hundreds of millions of US citizens? I'd think they'd rather see people succumbing to the disease during a thorough testing period rather than taking that risk of putting out an untested product.

Reactions: Cougzz
I guess nothing is off the table, but I would be amazed if the powers that be authorize for human use a completely untested vaccine without proper clinical trials. Can you imagine the liability if there does happen to be unknown side effect if this vaccine were to be given to 10's if not hundreds of millions of US citizens? I'd think they'd rather see people succumbing to the disease during a thorough testing period rather than taking that risk of putting out an untested product.

I don't know, man -- I mean, what's the worst that could happen? https://www.google.com/search?q=i+a...rome..69i57.2927j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And now, for another first time it has ever happened, the president is going to adjourn congress to appoint anyone he wants to any position.

And now, for another first time it has ever happened, the president is going to adjourn congress to appoint anyone he wants to any position.
Hey, if you’re one of the lucky ones that haven’t done direct deposit with the IRS, you’re gonna get a stimulus check with The Dump’s autograph on it! And it’ll only delay your check a few days, worth the wait, right?

Last edited:

It's politics- Confirm his nominees or adjourn to allow him to make recess appointments. Recess appointments are acting secretaries, undersecretaries, etc. There are a number of open slots that I can recall- Homeland Security, one or two governors of the Fed, the director of national intelligence. I'm sure some of that is Trump's fault and some is probably the Senate's. Regardless, I think it's fair to say that the Executive branch ought to be fully staffed during a national emergency.

The president does have the Constitutional authority to adjourn Congress, but I don't know if it's been done before.

I think the solution here is for Congress to figure out a way to vote remotely, or get back in session.

It's politics- Confirm his nominees or adjourn to allow him to make recess appointments. Recess appointments are acting secretaries, undersecretaries, etc. There are a number of open slots that I can recall- Homeland Security, one or two governors of the Fed, the director of national intelligence. I'm sure some of that is Trump's fault and some is probably the Senate's. Regardless, I think it's fair to say that the Executive branch ought to be fully staffed during a national emergency.

The president does have the Constitutional authority to adjourn Congress, but I don't know if it's been done before.

I think the solution here is for Congress to figure out a way to vote remotely, or get back in session.
I think the presidents authority to adjourn congress applies only when the two houses disagree on a date of adjournment. Not sure that is the case right now though - in fact don’t think it is the case.

Only the Senate is required to confirm presidential appointees of course and their agenda is controlled by Republicans so I suspect this is just more blather by Trump. Nothing will come of it but it will provide a useful distraction from his incompetence for a while.

I think the presidents authority to adjourn congress applies only when the two houses disagree on a date of adjournment. Not sure that is the case right now though - in fact don’t think it is the case.

Only the Senate is required to confirm presidential appointees of course and their agenda is controlled by Republicans so I suspect this is just more blather by Trump. Nothing will come of it but it will provide a useful distraction from his incompetence for a while.

So couldn’t Moscow Mitch just say “We should adjourn”? Pelosi could agree, or disagree. The result would be the same.

So couldn’t Moscow Mitch just say “We should adjourn”? Pelosi could agree, or disagree. The result would be the same.
He could but I’m not at all sure he would. It would kind of make it look like his Senate is just a bunch of screwups that need to just get out of the way. However true that might be, I don’t think he wants to paint that picture in an election year.

I’m sure he recognizes that this thing is little more than a distraction since acting appointees to all these cabinet positions are allowed. There really isn’t that big a difference between a recess appointment and an acting appointment. Both are supposedly temporary until approved by the Senate. And with Trump they rarely last long enough to run up against any time limits that exist.

He could but I’m not at all sure he would. It would kind of make it look like his Senate is just a bunch of screwups that need to just get out of the way. However true that might be, I don’t think he wants to paint that picture in an election year.

I’m sure he recognizes that this thing is little more than a distraction since acting appointees to all these cabinet positions are allowed. There really isn’t that big a difference between a recess appointment and an acting appointment. Both are supposedly temporary until approved by the Senate. And with Trump they rarely last long enough to run up against any time limits that exist.

Congress is kind of in limbo right now- officially in session but not doing anything because of social distancing.

Sucks for the players if they have to conduct most of their practices in the heat of July and August.
Yes, but that would be essentially the normal schedule, wouldn't it? Consider that one of the alternative scenarios is that the season starts sometime in February. That would mean that pre-season practice would be conducted in the snow. And we still have no IPF and are unlikely to get one in the near future because of the financial effects from the pandemic. Also somewhat problematic for Utah and Colorado but I would imagine that they at least have IPFs. The Arizona and Cal schools would not mind a bit especially knowing that the more northern schools were screwed.

Slightly OT but do anyone of you know if Rolo is going to continue the practice of going to Lewiston for pre-season practices? I got the distinct impression that spending time together at Sacajawea Middle School did a good job of forming a tight bond within the team.

Last edited:
Huh? The problem started around the turn of the year so 12-16 months would be June 2021. Am I missing something again?

Huh? The problem started around the turn of the year so 12-16 months would be June 2021. Am I missing something again?
I somehow skipped a year as I had it in my head it’s 2021. I wish I could blame it on my Flux capacitor-equipped Delorean, but unfortunately just early onset dementia.

I somehow skipped a year as I had it in my head it’s 2021. I wish I could blame it on my Flux capacitor-equipped Delorean, but unfortunately just early onset dementia.

Joe, get off the message board and get back to running for president! Didn't realize Biden was a Coug. Awesome!

Joe, get off the message board and get back to running for president! Didn't realize Biden was a Coug. Awesome!
Hey watch it or I’ll call you names like poopy pants while making mocking gestures of mentally disabled and then tell you how amazing and great and fantastic and awesome I am

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT