ADVERTISEMENT

Terms of Rolo’s buyout.

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
This may have already been posted, but here are the details of Rolo’s buyout. Well structured by Chun.
  • Year 1: $8 million
  • Year 2: $6 million
  • Year 3: $5 million
  • Year 4: $2 million
  • Year 5 and beyond: $1 million

How about not for cause buy out on WSUs side

The buyout for Rolo is a lot friendlier for WSU than the deals Moos gave to ML and Ernie. He’ll get 60% of base salary owed and his base is $2M per year with another $1M for media obligations. I wasn’t in the negotiations but I’d guess Rolo agreed to that in exchange for a higher salary. He’s betting on himself to perform which I like. Perfect contract for all parties. Nice job by Chun and Rolo.

Last edited:
Reactions: earldacoug
Any thoughts on reversing the buyout? Specifically if another school makes an offer down the road... hit them for as much as possible...

If inside 3 years you want to fire him the buyout is lower than higher.

Any thoughts on reversing the buyout? Specifically if another school makes an offer down the road... hit them for as much as possible...

If inside 3 years you want to fire him the buyout is lower than higher.
Tie it to performance targets. Less than 8 combined wins in 2 consecutive seasons triggers an option for WSU to terminate with no buyout.

Tie it to performance targets. Less than 8 combined wins in 2 consecutive seasons triggers an option for WSU to terminate with no buyout.

Yes. Some of these coaches getting huge buyouts... makes me think coaches have sharks for agents negotiating deals with minnows from schools...

The low standard roll overs, no performance quotas, raises for the sake of raises...

There is no shortage of good football coaches. You may have to dog for them, you may have to do a great job hiring the right coach for your situation... but paying guys $4,000,000 or more??? There is no lack of supply. Only lack of schools that know what theyre doing hiring.

Yes. Some of these coaches getting huge buyouts... makes me think coaches have sharks for agents negotiating deals with minnows from schools...

The low standard roll overs, no performance quotas, raises for the sake of raises...

There is no shortage of good football coaches. You may have to dog for them, you may have to do a great job hiring the right coach for your situation... but paying guys $4,000,000 or more??? There is no lack of supply. Only lack of schools that know what theyre doing hiring.
No lack of supply indeed.

Jim Walden and Paul Wulff are the last two WSU coaches to take below market salaries as the new football coach at WSU.

Wulff Part Deaux might work for as little as $300k - or maybe what he is making at Cow Poly $100k. (He worked for free at Iowa State and Cow Davis as volunteer coach and his Super Bowl year with the 49ers they paid him nothing - it was WSU picking up the tab)

But perhaps Paul Wulff will even PAY WSU for the opportunity to coach football again in the Pac 12 - let's say $100,000. (He'll demand health insurance)

Then the risk is Wulff declaring instead of an indoor facility, he needs gender reassignment surgery which perhaps the state picks up the cost for but it then makes him close to unfireable. Not to worry, Paul Wulff is guaranteed of wining the Apple Cup in the years that UW goes 0-12.

Another idea.

Why not charge the players to pay for a football coach like on they do on local select teams? If they balk at that then tell their parents that one of them will have to volunteer to coach the WSU football team.

In principle, I agree with you about the current coaching climate. Salaries are ridiculous, payouts are even worse and the lack of accountability for coaches is disturbing. The idea that a coach with less than three years remaining on his contract is hamstrung is laughable.

That said, you are dead wrong on the availability of good football coaches. There is a huge supply of coaches.....but a discouraging lack of really good coaches. If there were so many good coaches out there and it's so easy to be successful if you find the "right one", UCLA wouldn't be struggling to finish above 0.500 for most of the past 14 years. Colorado wouldn't have one winning season in the past 14 years and Kansas wouldn't have gone 21-99 in the past 10 years. Rutgers wouldn't have fallen back into the toilet after Schiano left. Oregon State wouldn't be looking at six straight losing seasons....again. I could spend a half hour writing about schools that are struggling despite hiring what were supposed to be "good coaches".

You are absolutely correct that you need to hire the right coach for your situation, but too often, it turns out that coaches that seemed great for your situation were only great because of the situation that they fell into and aren't that great at recreating it. Kevin Sumlin is exhibit A on that one. Dude fell into Case Keenum and Johnny Manziel and has been average to below average when he didn't have them. For every Chris Klieman at Kansas State exceeding expectations, there are plenty of Chip Kellys, Jim Moras and Herm Edwards that are failing to meet them even though they should be succeeding based on their reputations. Every coach is trying and just getting a good guy doesn't mean that you are going to win games. Now a bad hire like Wulff where they don't understand the situation can make things terrible....but that's a different conversation.

Ask Nebraska fans how easy it is to find a good coach that can recreate the Osborne era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT