ADVERTISEMENT

The amount of new offers is alarming

The stats say about 2 more rushes per game, and very few passes. The RBs are going to touch the ball less of Rolovich keeps running the offense the same way.

We know Leach never took advantage of the best player on the football team. Will Rolovich use Borghi when it makes sense? That is the million dollar question. If the defense drops eight, I know what I would do. So does JL and Wilcox. Will Rolo? I think Coug nation is hoping for an offense that retains it’s passing identity while running the ball when the defense hopes they don’t. But what do I know. :)

Curiosity begs the question of whether access to elite rb talent will swing the play calling at all.
A good question. We all expect to see more running with the R&S than we saw from the air raid. I doubt if Rolo has ever had a RB with the ability of Borghi and then throw in McIntosh and Bazil. I am expecting him to run the ball more than he did in Hawaii. He does not strike me as so set in his ways as to allow that available talent to just sit on the bench.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Like proclaiming that Leach won't get it done after one game?

Might want to focus on your case load instead and do right by your clients instead of posting on here from dusk til dawn and worrying about what I posted almost 8 yrs ago.

Blither on!

He coached like a guy with no fire, zero hunger to win.

WSU is a grinders job. Spending 5 months a year in the Keys isnt grinding. It takes a team capable of winning 7 or 8 league games and makes it a 3 league game winner.

He either changes his tune or he gets run out of MSU inside 4 seasons. LSU, Ole Miss, A&M, Auburn, Alabama have zero issues putting 50+ on him.

If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Leach is done learning. If he refuses to adapt at MSU they will run his act out of town. He will finish at Florida International angry and blaming everyone else for what went wrong.

MSU will fire a coach after three years f they aren't getting what they want.

We know Leach never took advantage of the best player on the football team. Will Rolovich use Borghi when it makes sense? That is the million dollar question. If the defense drops eight, I know what I would do. So does JL and Wilcox. Will Rolo? I think Coug nation is hoping for an offense that retains it’s passing identity while running the ball when the defense hopes they don’t. But what do I know. :)

Here is Rolo's answer to that. Forward to about the 3:20 mark if in a hurry..but I recommend watching the whole thing to get a good idea of how he will attack different defenses.

Reactions: CrazyAnt
Our bowl losses have been embarrassing. There is no parsing words or arguing with that fact. They came out listless and lifeless. This is ultimately a reflection of coaching after it happens several times. Yes, the D coaching a mess, but Leach has eyes. He isn't stupid. He allowed the team to go out and line up 3 on the LOS against the triple option. You have to assume that was their game plan all along, so he saw them practicing it for 3 weeks as well.

The Minnesota loss basically was a run back of every AC ever under Leach. The Holiday bowl the team got run out of the stadium because he stuck with falk until it was too late.

I mean, I am truly grateful to Leach for putting us in a position for future success, but lets not lionize the guy when there were clearly deficiencies that he continued to ignore.

IMHO, he showed his true feelings when he reiterated his stance on the recruiting - he got WSU as far as he could and wouldn't get them any further because (magically) UW (and everyone else) gets all the talent and he gets none. When he came to that conclusion is up for debate, but I would wager that it was about that same time he turned off the afterburners.

Don't get me wrong. I think it was a good time for Leach and WSU to part ways. And the man certainly has his flaws and Mississippi State fans are about to learn about them.

I was agreeing with the fact that people act like us making a bowl game five years straight was some casual act that Mike was pulling off without effort. Before Leach was hired (and before we made it to five straight bowl games), I posted that for a coach at WSU to be considered successful, we needed to see the following cycle (at a minimum):

Year 1: 3-4 wins
Year 2: 5-7 wins
Year 3: 7-8 wins
Year 4: 9-11 wins

rinse & repeat. Basically, if we made it to a bowl game around half the time and had a good team once every four years, I felt that most Coug fans would be happy. Looking at 2015 onward, our win totals were, 9, 8, 9, 11 and 6......much better than I hoped for. However, because we couldn't beat the mutts (which we also failed to do from 1998 to 2003), Leach's tenure has been deemed a failure by some. That's laughable.

Again, he's flawed and I think he hit his ceiling....but we were lucky to have him.

Reactions: Coug82
Might want to focus on your case load instead and do right by your clients instead of posting on here from dusk til dawn and worrying about what I posted almost 8 yrs ago.

Blither on!

Memorable posts should be revisited now and then. That post was quite memorable. And I'm not worried about anything you've ever posted.

The only bowl loss I considered embarrassing was the 2016 Holiday bowl loss to Minnesota.

The loss to Colorado State was very embarrassing with regard to the way we choked the game away. We took a 35-13 lead in the first half. We were up 45-30 with 9:00 minutes left in the 4th quarter, and 45-37 with just under 3:00 left and still managed to lose in regulation. It was eerily similar to this years UCLA game.

I place a lot of blame on Leach for the Colorado State loss. Prior to us fumbling the game away, we had the ball with 4:30 minutes left and CSU had just spent their 1st timeout after we picked up 4 yards on 1st down. So what do we do? Rather than run the ball and make CSU use all of their timeouts, we throw 2 straight incompletions and give them the ball back with 4:00 minutes left and still 2 timeouts. They drive down and score. We fumble. They score. We fumble the kickoff and lose.

At the time, it was the 2nd largest choke in bowl history. Leach deserves blame for that loss.

Last edited:
He coached like a guy with no fire, zero hunger to win.

WSU is a grinders job. Spending 5 months a year in the Keys isnt grinding. It takes a team capable of winning 7 or 8 league games and makes it a 3 league game winner.

He either changes his tune or he gets run out of MSU inside 4 seasons. LSU, Ole Miss, A&M, Auburn, Alabama have zero issues putting 50+ on him.

If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Leach is done learning. If he refuses to adapt at MSU they will run his act out of town. He will finish at Florida International angry and blaming everyone else for what went wrong.

Do tell how the team was capable of winning 7 or 8 league games. I mean for real, not cliches and nonsense. With that defense, 5 league wins would have been a miracle.

Memorable posts should be revisited now and then. That post was quite memorable. And I'm not worried about anything you've ever posted.

The fact that you bring up something I said 8 yrs ago on a msg board says differently. Kinda like when you say you don't care about what Ed or Biggs posts...yet you leg hump their posts ad nauseum.

I bet he lasts 3 season there. They will go apeshit if he tries throwing the ball 60 times when they drop 8 in coverage.

He has to win. If he loses, he will find out what media pressure is. If he rolls out to the Keys after spring ball and doesnt come back until a week before the season starts, he better win a division title.

His act is only going so far down there. He is a juco coach that made it big. Now he is in the big time competing with big time schools with big time dollars and coaches. Change your ways or get smoked.

I predict Borghi gets less touches next year than he had this year. Maybe more carries but fewer touches. Not sure if if the Oline will be as productive from a YPC standpoint.

I don't think we'll be a tire fire next year, but I suspect our offense won't be good enough to get us to a bowl game next year. That is going to be on the defense. If they can get off the field, we'll win a few games.

I'm going to laugh when our offense takes a step back, but the defense improves by enough to get us some wins. Then the obstinate anti-Leach crowd can claim Rolovich improved the offense. I'll shake my head, but who cares as long as we win.

I predict Borghi gets less touches next year than he had this year. Maybe more carries but fewer touches. Not sure if if the Oline will be as productive from a YPC standpoint.

I don't think we'll be a tire fire next year, but I suspect our offense won't be good enough to get us to a bowl game next year. That is going to be on the defense. If they can get off the field, we'll win a few games.

I'm going to laugh when our offense takes a step back, but the defense improves by enough to get us some wins. Then the obstinate anti-Leach crowd can claim Rolovich improved the offense. I'll shake my head, but who cares as long as we win.

Why would you laugh if our offense takes a step back?

It probably will. We will have gone from the pac 12 record setter in TDs in a season to a first time starter.

I guess you care more about Leach than the Cougs.

Newsflash: Leach left us and Rolo is our coach now.

Last edited:
Reactions: sellas and CrazyAnt
He has to win. If he loses, he will find out what media pressure is. If he rolls out to the Keys after spring ball and doesnt come back until a week before the season starts, he better win a division title.

His act is only going so far down there. He is a juco coach that made it big. Now he is in the big time competing with big time schools with big time dollars and coaches. Change your ways or get smoked.

I don't know why you feel the need to put things over the top and lose credibility. He has coached for 18 seasons at Power 5 schools, in both cases taking them to the highest win totals they've ever had and national relevance. 139 wins as a head coach, all in Power 5. The whole time, he's been at disadvantaged schools whose historical average record is more along the lines of 4-8.

He has a great tree, is regarded as one of the most noteworthy innovators in the sport in the past several decades, and is the progenitor of the offenses taking over the NFL.

But yeah, he's a "juco coach." You don't have that kind of Power 5 success for two decades at places that don't win if you're a "juco coach."

If you want to say he's one-dimensional and needs to innovate to have further success, or to take it up a notch, fine. But the bluster and bullshit is over the top.

The fact that you bring up something I said 8 yrs ago on a msg board says differently. Kinda like when you say you don't care about what Ed or Biggs posts...yet you leg hump their posts ad nauseum.

I don't care what you post. I post here to entertain myself and learn things about the team I root for. Not necessarily in that order.

I don't know about the rest of it, and I certainly won't laugh my ass off if the offense takes a step back, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Borghi gets fewer, or pretty close to the same, touches per game.

I don't know why you feel the need to put things over the top and lose credibility. He has coached for 18 seasons at Power 5 schools, in both cases taking them to the highest win totals they've ever had and national relevance. 139 wins as a head coach, all in Power 5. The whole time, he's been at disadvantaged schools whose historical average record is more along the lines of 4-8.

He has a great tree, is regarded as one of the most noteworthy innovators in the sport in the past several decades, and is the progenitor of the offenses taking over the NFL.

But yeah, he's a "juco coach." You don't have that kind of Power 5 success for two decades at places that don't win if you're a "juco coach."

If you want to say he's one-dimensional and needs to innovate to have further success, or to take it up a notch, fine. But the bluster and bullshit is over the top.

I am convinced that Biggs bet his life savings on WSU to win the natty in 2019, and blames Leach.

I am convinced that Biggs bet his life savings on WSU to win the natty in 2019, and blames Leach.

I don't know. More substantively, I think Leach pretty much was the same guy, doing the same things, in 2019 as he was in 2018 and previously. If 2018 was a face plant and 2019 was a disaster, I could buy arguments that he mailed it in. But I saw the same old Leach being the same guy. He just finally was hit by the impact on the defense of lessened recruiting due to assistants getting poached and, in 2019, the Thompson surprise magnifying the talent deficiency on defense and resulting in a bunch of moving players around in the secondary. Keep Thompson around and we almost certainly win at least two more. The defense still would have been a house of cards but it would have held together to a greater extent. If we're 8-5 instead of 6-7, it's just a typical Leach season with a pretty bad but not comically bad defense. He was the same guy.

Reactions: cougcowboy
I don't know. More substantively, I think Leach pretty much was the same guy, doing the same things, in 2019 as he was in 2018 and previously. If 2018 was a face plant and 2019 was a disaster, I could buy arguments that he mailed it in. But I saw the same old Leach being the same guy. He just finally was hit by the impact on the defense of lessened recruiting due to assistants getting poached and, in 2019, the Thompson surprise magnifying the talent deficiency on defense and resulting in a bunch of moving players around in the secondary. Keep Thompson around and we almost certainly win at least two more. The defense still would have been a house of cards but it would have held together to a greater extent. If we're 8-5 instead of 6-7, it's just a typical Leach season with a pretty bad but not comically bad defense. He was the same guy.

I agree. I don't think Leach's approach or energy, or really anything else was different from 2018 to 2019. The dude even did a belly flop in Lewiston. I suspect he would say the defensive turning into a sieve surprised him, or at least say that in a Leach kind of way about doing your job or effort or something like that. There were adjustments to the offense just like there were every year.

Going forward, the guys in the 2018 class need to live up to their billings. Especially on the defensive side.

Why would you laugh if our offense takes a step back?

It probably will. We will have gone from the pac 12 record setter in TDs in a season to a first time starter.

I guess you care more about Leach than the Cougs.

Newsflash: Leach left us and Rolo is our coach now.

Biggs is fond of blaming the offense for last year's woes. Mark my words: if the offense takes a step back next year, but the defense steps up allowing us to win more games, he's going to credit Rolo's offensive adjustments.

What's not funny about a washed up, never could make it, coach completely misdiagnosing the reasons for success?

I'm happy with the Rolovich hire. He's a different kind of coach as Leach. I expect lots of change in the program and not all of it will be positive. I hope his energy on the recruiting trail and extra scholarships allocated to the defense more than offset what we miss with Leach leaving.

Biggs is fond of blaming the offense for last year's woes. Mark my words: if the offense takes a step back next year, but the defense steps up allowing us to win more games, he's going to credit Rolo's offensive adjustments.

What's not funny about a washed up, never could make it, coach completely misdiagnosing the reasons for success?

I'm happy with the Rolovich hire. He's a different kind of coach as Leach. I expect lots of change in the program and not all of it will be positive. I hope his energy on the recruiting trail and extra scholarships allocated to the defense more than offset what we miss with Leach leaving.

Well, I agree with him in the sense that the staff knows the offense is going to have to carry this team and light up the score board like a Christmas tree due to our garbage defense.

Considering the weapons we had on offense, I think we underachieved.

I really feel that if we ran the ball more and made the defense respect the run this offense would have been unstoppable. Then the best you can hope for is that the defense will make a stop once in a blue moon.

So I don't want to speak for him...but my guess is he feels the offense left a lot of scoring on the table by not running the ball more which would open up the pass.

Making a 22 yr old kid throw the ball 60 times in a game in tight windows when the D drops 8 and expecting him to go 80 yds without making a mistake is where I have the problem.

Tom Brady can do it...not sure many others can.

And I say the above with holding Anthony Gordon in very high regard...much more so than most on this board. I flat out loved watching the kid play.

Well, I agree with him in the sense that the staff knows the offense is going to have to carry this team and light up the score board like a Christmas tree due to our garbage defense.

Considering the weapons we had on offense, I think we underachieved.

I really feel that if we ran the ball more and made the defense respect the run this offense would have been unstoppable. Then the best you can hope for is that the defense will make a stop once in a blue moon.

So I don't want to speak for him...but my guess is he feels the offense left a lot of scoring on the table by not running the ball more which would open up the pass.

Making a 22 yr old kid throw the ball 60 times in a game in tight windows when the D drops 8 and expecting him to go 80 yds without making a mistake is where I have the problem.

Tom Brady can do it...not sure many others can.

And I say the above with holding Anthony Gordon in very high regard...much more so than most on this board. I flat out loved watching the kid play.

Maybe we were watching a different team, but I saw a top 10 offense last year. The only stat where we weren't near the top was total plays and that's more about the defense never being able to get off the field. Running the ball more wasn't going to improve our results. Unless you think we would average more than 8 yards per play in the ground.

I have not studied the R&S enough to know if they have the OL in a 3 point stance and back to normal splits.......but if they do as I suspect then of course they are going to run the ball more.

If the defense drops 8 against a line ready to run block it is a no brainer......but I doubt we will see that. Rolo probably will see more sophisticated defenses that will give the appearance of more in the box but gets after the R&S strengths. It will be up to him and his staff to adjust.

I have not studied the R&S enough to know if they have the OL in a 3 point stance and back to normal splits.......but if they do as I suspect then of course they are going to run the ball more.

If the defense drops 8 against a line ready to run block it is a no brainer......but I doubt we will see that. Rolo probably will see more sophisticated defenses that will give the appearance of more in the box but gets after the R&S strengths. It will be up to him and his staff to adjust.

Draw, qb draw and lead qb draw were there all day. They chose not to run them. Nothing new needed from the OL. Build on those, add the pistol run game.

Maybe we were watching a different team, but I saw a top 10 offense last year. The only stat where we weren't near the top was total plays and that's more about the defense never being able to get off the field. Running the ball more wasn't going to improve our results. Unless you think we would average more than 8 yards per play in the ground.

I think we were watching a different team.

An offense that goes on several 3 and outs against Air Force(including a critical one in the 3rd quarter) is not a top offense.

Running the ball absolutely would improve the results.

Expecting a qb to throw the ball 50 plus times without turning the ball over is a tall task.

If we gash a defense enough times with the run, those who drop 8 in coverage against us will have to adjust which will open up more passing lanes and make things easier.

The thing is, they know we won't continue to run it so they stay in their coverage.

I think you are looking at stats and I am looking at play on the field. Stats don't tell the whole story. If they did 400 yds passing would have the same effect as 400 yds rushing.

It doesn't.

Last edited:
Draw, qb draw and lead qb draw were there all day. They chose not to run them. Nothing new needed from the OL. Build on those, add the pistol run game.

I like Gordon, but I don’t like him running the ball. The few times that QB runs were called did not end well.

An offense that goes on several 3 and outs against Air Force(including a critical one in the 3rd quarter) is not a top offense.

Expecting a qb to throw the ball 50 plus times without turning the ball over is a tall task.

If we gash a defense enough times with the run, those who drop 8 in coverage against us will have to adjust which will open up more passing lanes and make things easier.

I think you are looking at stats and I am looking at play on the field. Stats don't tell the whole story. If they did 400 yds passing would have the same effect as 400 yds rushing.

It doesn't.

WSU was 11th in scoring offense and 7th in total offense. You probably were watching a different team. As you always have, you’re whining about situational execution and play calls.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
WSU was 11th in scoring offense and 7th in total offense. You probably were watching a different team. As you always have, you’re whining about situational execution and play calls.

Yeah, because stats are what REALLY matter and situational execution and play calling has no bearing. Gotcha.

But I am glad to see that you still tow the company line and are afraid of questioning the "higher ups" at a level never seen before.

Yeah, because stats are what REALLY matter and situational execution and play calling has no bearing. Gotcha.

When you’re a passing offense, you pass the ball. That’s what you do. Those are the plays that get practiced thousands of times. So, on key plays that’s what gets called. You have a consistent and fundamental misunderstanding of that. You also ignore the many times WSU would run the ball against a three man rush and get stuffed.

When you’re a passing offense, you pass the ball. That’s what you do. Those are the plays that get practiced thousands of times. So, on key plays that’s what gets called. You have a consistent and fundamental misunderstanding of that. You also ignore the many times WSU would run the ball against a three man rush and get stuffed.

You see things as black and white. It's a little more complicated than that.

You can still be a heavily passing offense and run the ball 12-15 times more a game.

And yes, there were times we would run the ball and it gets stuffed...and then they wouldn't try it again.

So if a passing team tries throwing the ball and they incomplete a pass or get sacked then they shouldn't attempt to pass the ball again? That's what you are saying.

The thing is, they know we won't continue to run it so they stay in their coverage.

It doesn't.

We only had one three and out against Air Force.

You are complaining about situational execution.

Technically, the air raid has a prescription for running the ball based on players in the box.

If the defense chooses to line up with the prescribed amount of players in the box that tells the qb to run the ball, ANY amount of rushing attempts is still the air raid. Even if all 70 snaps are runs.

You see things as black and white. It's a little more complicated than that.

You can still be a heavily passing offense and run the ball 12-15 times more a game.

And yes, there were times we would run the ball and it gets stuffed...and then they wouldn't try it again.

So if a passing team tries throwing the ball and they incomplete a pass or get sacked then they shouldn't attempt to pass the ball again? That's what you are saying.

Wrong again. You complain about whether a play worked or not, without knowing anything about match ups, game plan, tendencies, execution or anything else. If a play doesn’t work you complain about it not working and say it was a bad call and something should have been called. Totally result oriented.

It’s not surprising you are complaining about an offense that was 11th in scoring and 7th in yards.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT