ADVERTISEMENT

The baseball team is terrible!

CougFan1980

Recruit
Silver Member
Sep 22, 2021
The pitching staff is horrendous! How did we blow a 7-1 lead against the Ducks! We'll probably get swept by the Ducks. The baseball program has been bad for awhile! Go Cougs!

Bullpen is so bad. Starter went 6 2/3 and gave up 2 runs on 8 hits. Bullpen comes in and goes 3 2/3 and give up 6 runs. One pitcher in the 9th faced 6 hitters with one out and got 1 out. The pen is terrible.

We took the series which is a great sign of things to come in the future. They have certainly disappointed thus far, but I think we will see a much better team next year.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I wrong about the team! Coach Green has them playing well! Can't wait to watch them against UCLA! I'm attending the second game! Can't wait to see you Cougs there! GO Cougs!

Not sure I've seen a team turn around so suddenly. What's the deal?

Clp0_yMVAAM8Hk1.jpg

I have heard through local baseball guys, that WSU has been doing a great job at local area recruiting. Getting kids to commit early. This may be a longer term "build" or "rebuild" but if the best local talent wants to stay and play at WSU, that's how the program is going to move forward. You have to be used to, or "love" this type of weather, in my opinion.

Pitching has been way more consistent and that has helped a lot. Also, we aren't kicking the ball around the diamond so much. If this is the arms and defense we are going to get going forward Green might be able to do it.

I have heard through local baseball guys, that WSU has been doing a great job at local area recruiting. Getting kids to commit early. This may be a longer term "build" or "rebuild" but if the best local talent wants to stay and play at WSU, that's how the program is going to move forward. You have to be used to, or "love" this type of weather, in my opinion.
My gawd, it had to be in the 30s with the wind chill at the game I was at last week.

At the end of April.
Brutal.

Reactions: 425cougfan
WSU has done it before, and certainly can do it again. And right now GU is doing it, which means WSU still can absolutely do it too.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Speaking of baseball…any mariners fans out there I got a couple questions. 1. Why is servais not getting more heat for this shit show. The first three weeks showed me this team has the talent to compete. I’m getting to a point with servais where I’ve seen about enough. The players are there, win. Also, where has the bunt gone? They are playing shifts where every damn infielder is on one side of the Diamond. Bunt your way on FFS, and how about moving guys into scoring position instead of grounding into DPs.

Speaking of baseball…any mariners fans out there I got a couple questions. 1. Why is servais not getting more heat for this shit show. The first three weeks showed me this team has the talent to compete. I’m getting to a point with servais where I’ve seen about enough. The players are there, win. Also, where has the bunt gone? They are playing shifts where every damn infielder is on one side of the Diamond. Bunt your way on FFS, and how about moving guys into scoring position instead of grounding into DPs.
Servais isn't the problem - it is Dipoto and Stanton.

M's players made an effort to hold workouts on their own during lockout and rest of league caught up.

And after claiming previous GM Jack Z rushed Mike Zunino, current regime did the same to Kelenic and Julio especially with pandemic downtime in minors is factored in.

JP beat shift with butcher swing on opening night but they are waiting for MLB to just ban it for 2023.

Servais isn't the problem - it is Dipoto and Stanton.

M's players made an effort to hold workouts on their own during lockout and rest of league caught up.

And after claiming previous GM Jack Z rushed Mike Zunino, current regime did the same to Kelenic and Julio especially with pandemic downtime in minors is factored in.

JP beat shift with butcher swing on opening night but they are waiting for MLB to just ban it for 2023.
Thanks for your insight I’m not a baseball guy. Think they will ban shifts…why? That’s part of the strategy of the game, there’s always a way to beat it and be a step ahead.

My favorite joke in April is "this is the Mariners year (to make the playoffs)!" and by mid-June it becomes reality that isn't happening.

Thanks for your insight I’m not a baseball guy. Think they will ban shifts…why? That’s part of the strategy of the game, there’s always a way to beat it and be a step ahead.
They want more action, balls in play and less "three true outcome baseball" (walks, strikeouts and home runs).

It is a mix of "pitchers throw too hard for us to do that" and "opposing team would prefer for us to try for a single"

They really only hard shift for lefties - RH hard shift the 1B still has to stay close to his bag.

They need more action. Kinda dumb they can't/won't adjust but they have to do something.

For example intentionally bunting foul with 2 strikes was legal way back when and they made foul bunt with 2 strikes an out to stop that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT