ADVERTISEMENT

The case for and against an improved defense next season...

Agree, good list. If not for injuries, IMO Derting is in the top 5.

I wouldn't put him in that list, but just outside of it. In fact, I think Woods has the potential to become on the same level as Gleason, or possibly a bit better. Similar size, speed, and tons of heart/effort.

Agree on both comments. Derting was a beast before he screwed up his wrist (hand?)

I started paying attention to WSU football in 1968 and didn't get serious about it until 1970, so I don't include anyone prior to that. Some of these guys played more than one position during their careers. Some played for one year, some for several. Some were the bell cow on teams that were not blessed with a lot of other great D players, others were part of groups that made everyone look good. And my numbers 3-7 are so close that you could reorder those 5 guys in almost any order you chose. That said, here is my LB top 11 (I could come up with 11 worth mentioning), in order:

1.) Fields
small drop to
2.) Blakeney
smaller drop to
3.) Darling
4.) Childs
5.) Forde
6.) Bush
7.) McLanahan
small drop to
8.) Smith
And then 3 guys who for me are pretty much a coin toss; different eras but similar contributions:
9.) Derting
10.) Gary Larsen
11.) Scott Pelluer

I would suggest that any of the group noted above could contend for a starting position today.

Larsen had the best celebration dance as he whooped it up doing his warrior sack dance around a horizontal Sonny Sixkiller in the win over uw.
I was sold on the Cougs that day, and was the only fan in a house full of huskies.

Larsen had the best celebration dance as he whooped it up doing his warrior sack dance around a horizontal Sonny Sixkiller in the win over uw.
I was sold on the Cougs that day, and was the only fan in a house full of huskies.
He had some funny g’damned cartoons as well

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
How did I forget Forde?

I’m a little torn on where to put him. He kind of fits with Greg Trent in that his teams weren’t very good. If he’d had 3-4 seasons I don’t think there’s any question he’d be top 5.

We also forgot Louis Bland.

Sincerely,
CougEd :D

Reactions: taf88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT