ADVERTISEMENT

The fun police

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
Glad to see the fun police is out railing on our students for rushing the field. Saw a few hot takes on Facebook & Twitter about it, including a writer over at Brand X.

I've always found the unwritten rules about when it's acceptable to rush the field to be such a tired, lame take. The nerve of those college kids to get caught up in the fun of a great game and want to celebrate with their team on the field. "But it wasn't a ranked team", "It wasn't a top 10 team", "You were favored to win", or the cliched, "Act like you've been there before".

It was a regional rival, it was avenging a loss from last year and, most importantly, it was an improbable comeback. It was emotional, it was fevered, it was fun.

I say, good for the students. You don't get that many home games during your student career. Chances are, you probably won't get a chance to storm the field under the archaic guidelines of most codgery old timers. You stayed till 12:30, get out there and have a blast.

I guess I'm still a young gun but I wasn't a fan.

Hypothetical: if it was say T10 U$C and a T15 WSU and WSU wins, then yes rush that field to hearts desire.

BSU was a rollercoaster game and I can imagine sticking through the whole thing is deserving to rush. I just don't think it was necessary, but glad the students had a blast.

Guess that makes me a curmudgeon "millennial." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its the same crowed that whines about standing during games.

"Well golly gosh I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years so that means I can yell at you to sit down".

It's like no one wants to meet "in the middle" anymore. If you are the ONLY person standing in a section... then yeah you should sit down. If you are one of the few people sitting in a section that is completely standing... well then stand! I have youngin's and old people around me. I sat the whole game until after Pelluer's pick-six, to which I stood just like the majority of people in my section.

The old man sitting behind me, when I turned around to make sure he could see, was nice enough to say "You're fine son, I can see just fine".

I guess I'm still a young gun but I wasn't a fan.

Hypothetical: if it was say T10 U$C and a T15 WSU and WSU wins, then yes rush that field to hearts desire.

BSU was a rollercoaster game and I can imagine sticking through the whole thing is deserving to rush. I just don't think it was necessary, but glad the students had a blast.

Guess that makes me a curmudgeon "millennial." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With the exception of the $25K fine, I just see no reason to be against it. What concerns you about it?

Glad to see the fun police is out railing on our students for rushing the field. Saw a few hot takes on Facebook & Twitter about it, including a writer over at Brand X.

I've always found the unwritten rules about when it's acceptable to rush the field to be such a tired, lame take. The nerve of those college kids to get caught up in the fun of a great game and want to celebrate with their team on the field. "But it wasn't a ranked team", "It wasn't a top 10 team", "You were favored to win", or the cliched, "Act like you've been there before".

It was a regional rival, it was avenging a loss from last year and, most importantly, it was an improbable comeback. It was emotional, it was fevered, it was fun.

I say, good for the students. You don't get that many home games during your student career. Chances are, you probably won't get a chance to storm the field under the archaic guidelines of most codgery old timers. You stayed till 12:30, get out there and have a blast.

Paraphrasing Les Miles, I hope all of the girls gave them a big kiss on the mouth.

With the exception of the $25K fine, I just see no reason to be against it. What concerns you about it?
Yeah, I'm with the crowd of, go for it. The fine was exceptionally high, IMHO and strictly for that reason, I'd say we shouldn't really be rushing the field. But as far as, "Act like you've been here before"... please. Have fun. Do you think the players didn't think it was cool? Do you think the recruits didn't think it was cool? The problem with that attitude is... WE HAVEN'T BEEN HERE BEFORE! We aren't 'Bama! Stop trying to act like it. So be ourselves! Enjoy it. Relish it. Have fun. Be a team that's building and be proud of it.

Yeah, I'm with the crowd of, go for it. The fine was exceptionally high, IMHO and strictly for that reason, I'd say we shouldn't really be rushing the field. But as far as, "Act like you've been here before"... please. Have fun. Do you think the players didn't think it was cool? Do you think the recruits didn't think it was cool? The problem with that attitude is... WE HAVEN'T BEEN HERE BEFORE! We aren't 'Bama! Stop trying to act like it. So be ourselves! Enjoy it. Relish it. Have fun. Be a team that's building and be proud of it.
i think you're right. the "act like you've been there before" crowd likely wants to think that we're a different program than we are, but you hit it on the head. like it or not, beating boise state is still kind of a big deal for us right now.

whenever this type of thing comes up i always think to myself, what a terrible way to go through life that must be--being so consistently concerned about the fun that others are having that has absolutely nothing to do w/ you. just seems like a heavy burden, you know?

The fine was put in place like three years ago by the conference - probably for the conference to say they're doing something about it.

I guess my take is if fans rush the field when you beat an unranked team (that isn't your biggest rival) it takes away how special it is to rush the field when you beat a highly ranked team. It's like fans will see it as an expectation that it's cool to do, all the time.

I feel like we'll agree to disagree on this. I think I've hit the point where I expect the Cougs to win games they should and kinda wanna act like we've been there before.

I'm probably the minority, but my $.02.

i think you're right. the "act like you've been there before" crowd likely wants to think that we're a different program than we are, but you hit it on the head. like it or not, beating boise state is still kind of a big deal for us right now.

whenever this type of thing comes up i always think to myself, what a terrible way to go through life that must be--being so consistently concerned about the fun that others are having that has absolutely nothing to do w/ you. just seems like a heavy burden, you know?

We should have a bunch of Cougfans rush huskie stadium, win or lose.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Its the same crowed that whines about standing during games.

"Well golly gosh I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years so that means I can yell at you to sit down".

It's like no one wants to meet "in the middle" anymore. If you are the ONLY person standing in a section... then yeah you should sit down. If you are one of the few people sitting in a section that is completely standing... well then stand! I have youngin's and old people around me. I sat the whole game until after Pelluer's pick-six, to which I stood just like the majority of people in my section.

The old man sitting behind me, when I turned around to make sure he could see, was nice enough to say "You're fine son, I can see just fine".
I've had an old man in front of me give me that "you'd better be quiet" look. All I was doing was reacting to very positive plays. Is there a some hidden quota on how excited you can be that the team has something good going???? WTF!

The fine was put in place like three years ago by the conference - probably for the conference to say they're doing something about it.

I guess my take is if fans rush the field when you beat an unranked team (that isn't your biggest rival) it takes away how special it is to rush the field when you beat a highly ranked team. It's like fans will see it as an expectation that it's cool to do, all the time.

I feel like we'll agree to disagree on this. I think I've hit the point where I expect the Cougs to win games they should and kinda wanna act like we've been there before.

I'm probably the minority, but my $.02.

A few things with your take.

Students are only there for 4 years. There are years where we don't even play a ranked team at home. This year, we have SC & Stanford (if Furd is even still ranked at that point). Last year we played 1, UW. The year before we played 1, Stanford. There's a decent chance a student would never have the opportunity to see us beat a ranked team at home.

Second, so Boise isn't ranked. They could have been. They were 10-3 last year. Would a win over ranked South Florida or TCU, or even UCLA been all that much more impressive?

Third, again, who cares? If we beat USC in a few weeks, they can do it again as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not suggesting they rush the field any time we win a game, but man, a huge comeback against a regional rival that we lost to last year? I'm just not going to get on the students for getting caught up in the emotion of that game.

Bingo

I've had an old man in front of me give me that "you'd better be quiet" look. All I was doing was reacting to very positive plays. Is there a some hidden quota on how excited you can be that the team has something good going???? WTF!

I say you keep doing what you're doing.

A few things with your take.

Students are only there for 4 years. There are years where we don't even play a ranked team at home. This year, we have SC & Stanford (if Furd is even still ranked at that point). Last year we played 1, UW. The year before we played 1, Stanford. There's a decent chance a student would never have the opportunity to see us beat a ranked team at home.
I went to school during the he-who-must-not-be-named era, so the fact students have an opportunity and the team is ranked while doing it...I rushed AC2012, but I was already on the field and it was THE rivalry game.

Second, so Boise isn't ranked. They could have been. They were 10-3 last year. Would a win over ranked South Florida or TCU, or even UCLA been all that much more impressive?
No, but I don't see those as rush the field opponents either at this current time in the season.

Third, again, who cares? If we beat USC in a few weeks, they can do it again as far as I'm concerned. I agreed with that for USC.

I'm not suggesting they rush the field any time we win a game, but man, a huge comeback against a regional rival that we lost to last year? I'm just not going to get on the students for getting caught up in the emotion of that game.
Can agree it was an emotional game, exciting.

I think we could debate this subject until we're blue in the face. I'm not angry fans rushed the field, I think I just don't understand it due to the opponent/(lack of) ranking. 3OT, I would've probably hopped on down too, but I wasn't able to make it last weekend. I'm not usually the "get off my lawn" type either. And I promise I'm fun at parties.

I rushed the waitress at the bar...does that count?
(Relax...I'm joking)

These
Can agree it was an emotional game, exciting.

I think we could debate this subject until we're blue in the face. I'm not angry fans rushed the field, I think I just don't understand it due to the opponent/(lack of) ranking. 3OT, I would've probably hopped on down too, but I wasn't able to make it last weekend. I'm not usually the "get off my lawn" type either. And I promise I'm fun at parties.

These kids stayed and cheered for 4 and a half hours and helped us to victory. They can do whatever the F they want and I say Go (young) Cougs!

You gotta stop standing up behind people... so rude! :p

Bingo. The "act like you've been there before" posse is made up of 2 types of people:

1. Our opponents who have a problem with us celebrating EVER, in which case "act like..." is one a thousand rotating excuses
2. Our own fans who either want to believe we're way better than we are, or fear social judgment from our opponents in #1

Reactions: Fab5Coug

Let's say that Falk doesn't throw that pick to start the game, Hilinski doesn't get put in and throw the shovel pick, Falk doesn't get sacked and fumble, and that Falk could have ground out another 10 points in the second half. If that were the case, WSU wins the game 27-17. A grind it out, workmanlike win without the OT drama over Boise State would not have excited our fans to the point where they wanted to storm the field. So, I think this is more about the dramatic comeback win than the opponent.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Let's say that Falk doesn't throw that pick to start the game, Hilinski doesn't get put in and throw the shovel pick, Falk doesn't get sacked and fumble, and that Falk could have ground out another 10 points in the second half. If that were the case, WSU wins the game 27-17. A grind it out, workmanlike win without the OT drama over Boise State would not have excited our fans to the point where they wanted to storm the field. So, I think this is more about the dramatic comeback win than the opponent.

It's a combination. The dramatic nature of the comeback AND the fact it was Boise St. I don't know that the fans storm the field if we needed that kind of comeback against Montana St either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT