ADVERTISEMENT

The State of Broadcast Television

Stretch 74

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
The visual from the Top 100 chart is staggering. I had no idea that things were THIS bad, although I think it has been over two decades since I have watched any ongoing show on a major network. As a leader in this regard, I guess a lot of the networks problems are my fault. I am truly sorry for that.........

Does this help explain why it was so tough for the PAC 12 to get a "good" media deal, or make it more puzzling why we were not able to get the media deal done?

The visual from the Top 100 chart is staggering. I had no idea that things were THIS bad, although I think it has been over two decades since I have watched any ongoing show on a major network. As a leader in this regard, I guess a lot of the networks problems are my fault. I am truly sorry for that.........

Does this help explain why it was so tough for the PAC 12 to get a "good" media deal, or make it more puzzling why we were not able to get the media deal done?

Pretty sad that the most watched recurrent program is the Oscars, and they’ve been complaining about declining viewership of it for years.

Broadcast TV has constant interruptions for ads, and there are far too many cookie cutter “reality” shows, and too many of those look the same from network to network. The continuing lack of creativity or originality at the networks is driving their demise.

It probably leads into why the networks didn’t come up with offers. Decreasing viewership means advertisers aren’t willing to pay as much for ads. And, the networks have turned to reality in part to reduce their own production and salary costs. Filming in a mansion or on a single stage set it far cheaper than location shooting or multiset shows where they have to pay actual actors. Moving the whole production crew between stadiums every week is also expensive. They’re looking for margins and for reliable ad buys, but in the process of doing that, they’ve reduced the number of reliable buys.

Not really surprising considering how much that platform has changed. All scripted programming can now be consumed in your chosen time. Add to that the sheer volume of additional networks and channels and places to watch these on demand and you get a fractured audience. It also doesn't matter in the realm of spoilers (for the most part).

Unlike sports. If you wait to watch a game you run a risk of having the ending ruined. The Oscars fits in with this also. Plus, those football telecasts are restricted to just a few networks at specific times and on specific days. Much of the ratings are likely driven by gambling as well.

It actually kinda still shows the power and relevance of the major networks. I'd expect very, very few of those top 97 football games to have been on ESPN.

In the old days people watched tv by time of day, no matter what it was. That's why such crappy shows like Night Court and Married With Children or almost many CBS sitcom (Two And a Half Men) lasted soo long. "Hey, it's 8pm on a Wednesday, what's on?"

Don't have to do that anymore. That's all I have to say about that.

Not sure I really believe those pie charts. You telling me that over the course of a year 93% of the eyeballs are on the NFL? Or I guess they mean that ratings were higher for at least one NFL game? But whatever. And I can't believe that redstate.com is your go-to source for accurate information. Forget unbiased, that ain't happening.

To 95's point, this proliferation of reality shows, dancing and singing shows, etc. makes me want to puke. I NEVER watch any of that shit. I have Spectrum and pay through the nose (And I get ESPN, and ESPN2, contrary to and assertion in the article within the article).

I do watch good shows like Yellowstone, and am pissed that I would need to go buy some other $10/mo. channel(s) to see other good shows like Reacher, the Yellowstone derivatives, etc. I do watch a lot of Two and a half Men reruns. Gawd I love Charlie Sheen, pig that he is. Just playing himself. And the obligatory hot girl every week. And what's her name the recurring psychiatrist, and Martin Mull the pharmacist.

Anyway, the network offerings are shit. They would do better to just have a full menu of reruns of good shows and movies from however far back. Like you get from the non-network stations.

Not sure I really believe those pie charts. You telling me that over the course of a year 93% of the eyeballs are on the NFL? Or I guess they mean that ratings were higher for at least one NFL game? But whatever. And I can't believe that redstate.com is your go-to source for accurate information. Forget unbiased, that ain't happening.

To 95's point, this proliferation of reality shows, dancing and singing shows, etc. makes me want to puke. I NEVER watch any of that shit. I have Spectrum and pay through the nose (And I get ESPN, and ESPN2, contrary to and assertion in the article within the article).

I do watch good shows like Yellowstone, and am pissed that I would need to go buy some other $10/mo. channel(s) to see other good shows like Reacher, the Yellowstone derivatives, etc. I do watch a lot of Two and a half Men reruns. Gawd I love Charlie Sheen, pig that he is. Just playing himself. And the obligatory hot girl every week. And what's her name the recurring psychiatrist, and Martin Mull the pharmacist.

Anyway, the network offerings are shit. They would do better to just have a full menu of reruns of good shows and movies from however far back. Like you get from the non-network stations.
Good lord, man!! For a guy with a background in accounting and statistics, that is a pretty warped interpretation of the data. Hell no, that is NOT what I or "they" are telling you. It is not at all that 93% of the time people are watching NFL. How did you ever come up with that? Every show on TV gets a rating, based on how many people are watching that particular show. What they are saying is simply that 93 times out of the top 100 watched shows, it was an NFL game. Likely with the Super Bowl occupying the #1 spot, with playoff games next. And Two of the most watched programs were College Football games. No 93% at all.

Would you feel better if the same information came from MSNBC? Or CNN? I could understand being skeptical if the article was some kind of political opinion piece, but why would they be twisting or perverting data that most likely came right from Nielson? Makes no sense.

I like watching the Pig also. Never once watched it live, but have discovered on re-runs that it actually IS a funny show. So what are your hottest girls from Two and a Half Men that are not the regulars? You know the ones with just a few lines in only one show?

Good lord, man!! For a guy with a background in accounting and statistics, that is a pretty warped interpretation of the data. Hell no, that is NOT what I or "they" are telling you. It is not at all that 93% of the time people are watching NFL. How did you ever come up with that? Every show on TV gets a rating, based on how many people are watching that particular show. What they are saying is simply that 93 times out of the top 100 watched shows, it was an NFL game. Likely with the Super Bowl occupying the #1 spot, with playoff games next. And Two of the most watched programs were College Football games. No 93% at all.

Would you feel better if the same information came from MSNBC? Or CNN? I could understand being skeptical if the article was some kind of political opinion piece, but why would they be twisting or perverting data that most likely came right from Nielson? Makes no sense.

I like watching the Pig also. Never once watched it live, but have discovered on re-runs that it actually IS a funny show. So what are your hottest girls from Two and a Half Men that are not the regulars? You know the ones with just a few lines in only one show?
That's kind of what I meant in sentence # 3, just didn't say it very well. I guess I can buy it. Everyone that want to watch FB has their game(s) to watch. Non-FB fans have a zillion other splintering options.

Oh, favorite one timers. Hmmm. Candy's Mom? Saw her last night. The gal with the Charlie lookalike kid maybe? Or the soccer Mom. They all blend together......

That's kind of what I meant in sentence # 3, just didn't say it very well. I guess I can buy it. Everyone that want to watch FB has their game(s) to watch. Non-FB fans have a zillion other splintering options.

Oh, favorite one timers. Hmmm. Candy's Mom? Saw her last night. The gal with the Charlie lookalike kid maybe? Or the soccer Mom. They all blend together......
Well, there ARE a lot of beauties to choose from! I am in love with the gal that Charlie Waffles bumps into in the grocery store-so cute, great voice and smile, and a world class ass!!! The tech in the vasectomy clinic. Nurse Kendra in the plastic surgery clinic. The "masseuse" in Alan's office. The "Why didn't you just call the guy?" gal when Alan fell off the roof. The dancing twins. (yahoo!) *

As far as mom's.....yeah, you nailed them. (well, not actually. LOL)

*Yeah, so maybe I have watched it too much. I have also wasted too much time hanging around here! :) so sue me.....

Well, there ARE a lot of beauties to choose from! I am in love with the gal that Charlie Waffles bumps into in the grocery store-so cute, great voice and smile, and a world class ass!!! The tech in the vasectomy clinic. Nurse Kendra in the plastic surgery clinic. The "masseuse" in Alan's office. The "Why didn't you just call the guy?" gal when Alan fell off the roof. The dancing twins. (yahoo!) *

As far as mom's.....yeah, you nailed them. (well, not actually. LOL)

*Yeah, so maybe I have watched it too much. I have also wasted too much time hanging around here! :) so sue me.....
Yeah, those are all good ones! Episodes might be easier for me. The Cloris Leachman one. Miss Pasternack. The one with the devil worshipping chick (I know she is a known actress). The ones with - ah shit - the older actress with the self help books. The one with Emilio Estevez visiting from Hell and describing the pitchfork and lube. "You want the lube". Isn't that the one where he is imagining his funeral and all the ex-chicks line up to spit on him in his casket? Oh hell they are all good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT