ADVERTISEMENT

The way Eukale is playing he might be the highest rated WSU Dlineman

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
to be drafted since Xavier Cooper was drafted in the third round. He is really doing some good things.

Reactions: earldacoug
It certainly shows what good coaching can do. Gerald Mc Broom is also playing much better than last year as well as others:)

Also Jahad Woods has been a beast. Just watched the replay and that dude is everywhere and seems to love to hit. Nice to see these guys step up seize their opportunity.

defense and linebackers are killing it, but I did see someone get trucked in the Oregon game. I can't remember who it was, but he held on and made the tackle anyway which was impressive.

I am saying that Phelps is a better coach in my opinion. In the bowl game last year,he did a masterful job against the cougs. The D line s play is much improved this year and that is a big reason for the defense's success this year.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
I am saying that Phelps is a better coach in my opinion. In the bowl game last year,he did a masterful job against the cougs. The D line s play is much improved this year and that is a big reason for the defense's success this year.
The dline seems to be improved. But 2015 Hercules was unstoppable as well. Hard to argue with Xavier Cooper who Joe coached, along with Destiny, Hercules and even Robert Barber.

I agree, although I am disappointed that we don't have a foothold on the islands anymore. Imagine this team without Ekuale, Hercules, Luvu, Tago & Mauigoa

Oregon's DL has, at least according to what I've heard, been playing well this year (and, specifically, better than last year). I think Coach Joe is a pretty good coach in his own right, but I can't disagree with anyone who thinks Phelps is a better one.

Eukale and McBroom getting up field on every play. Both are getting into the backfield and are disruptive.

Phelps is a good on field coach I think. Let's see how well he recruits.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

I like Phelps, but Oregon's d-line also is much improved from a year ago, so kudos to Big Joe. Phelps is a great get, but let's see if he can recruit the next generation of Ekuales and Mata'afas. I hope he can, but he's also going to have to snare some bigtime transfers.

Reactions: dgibbons
Recruiting is one area where i wonder about with Phelps, I hope that the televised games and the performance of the D line helps attract quality D line recruits.So far, We are getting quality DE s some of whom may be moved inside.But the Speed D also needs a few bigger guys to jam the inside .

The juco transfer whom the the cougs are involved with is Jonathan Pono Lolohea. He is originally from Hawaii . He is a 6'3 310 pd DT juco, who is the 6th rated DT juco nationally. He has good measurable s . He has a 705 pd squat,360 clean and 24 reps and a 31 JR.He is down to TCU,Kansas,Kansas St and WSU. He will graduate in December and has 3 to play two.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Agreed, I don't think it's too early to come to this conclusion. The D Line is playing better as a unit more consistently than they did w Joe.

Recruiting is one area where i wonder about with Phelps, I hope that the televised games and the performance of the D line helps attract quality D line recruits.So far, We are getting quality DE s some of whom may be moved inside.But the Speed D also needs a few bigger guys to jam the inside .
Hopefully success sells
The juco transfer whom the the cougs are involved with is Jonathan Pono Lolohea. He is originally from Hawaii . He is a 6'3 310 pd DT juco, who is the 6th rated DT juco nationally. He has good measurable s . He has a 705 pd squat,360 clean and 24 reps and a 31 JR.He is down to TCU,Kansas,Kansas St and WSU. He will graduate in December and has 3 to play two.
nice call El. He would be THE get at DT from the JC's.

I think Phelps is a better Technical coach that Coach Joe, but Coach Joe is an incredible recruiter and support man and strength advocate.

Ideally, you would want both on your staff, Coach Joe to bring in the talented Polynesians and develop their strength, and Phelps to elevate their quickness and movement and penetration techniques.

i think one year makes it tough to come to any conclusions about the quality of coaching (from our easy chairs). is it that phelps is that much better? or is it that the kids are all a year older with one more year in the system? perhaps a little of each?

The entire DL has improved over last year and stats don't tell the entire story, but 7 tackles, 1 TFL , 0 sacks and 1 hurry in 6 games playing along side Mataafa (Millard II), who is being double teamed on every play, are not NFL numbers. McBroom's numbers are much better, particularly considering he isn't generally playing along side Mataafa.

Joe can recruit, but even Leach acknowledged in his presser that Phelps is a excellent technical coach. We will find out whether he can make up for the loss of the Polys we will suffer on the recruiting front.

Salvala is doing an excellent job of recruiting polys to Oregon. That is the main reason,they hired him and he is delivering.big time for them. I hope that when Grinch leaves that he does not take Coach Phelps with him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT