ADVERTISEMENT

this team stinks

Pathetic effort vs a 2-6 Montana State team. 16/32 on threes. I was hoping this team would be improved------ guess not.

Postgame: EK says he will take the hit for tonight............ How about taking the hit for this pathetic program?

Ryder/Rider should be licking their chops.. I don't even want to think about conference time.

Pathetic effort vs a 2-6 Montana State team. 16/32 on threes. I was hoping this team would be improved------ guess not.

Postgame: EK says he will take the hit for tonight............ How about taking the hit for this pathetic program?

Ryder/Rider should be licking their chops.. I don't even want to think about conference time.
this team will go winless in conference

I do have to say that Newman cat looked like he should be playing at the YMCA. We might be able to beat CAL after that I see a lot of 20 + point losses

how long to we have to endure ernie kent and his zero defense team?

Any of us could have more success than Ernie.

What a horrible coach. He should take the hit after every loss. He is the one making $1.5M per year to field a team that is terrible. It is not on the players. It is on him.

I'd coach this team for a mere $250k per year and have more success than Ernie. Moos really blew this hire.

Any of us could have more success than Ernie.

What a horrible coach. He should take the hit after every loss. He is the one making $1.5M per year to field a team that is terrible. It is not on the players. It is on him.

I'd coach this team for a mere $250k per year and have more success than Ernie. Moos really blew this hire.

I’ll coach em for 125k. Plus a football suite

Thanks, Bill. The middle finger you gave to the school extending Ernie was classic passive-aggresive crap or just plain laziness. Tack on another $11.2 Million of salary wasted to the financial debacle under your watch.

he needs to go, year 5 and zero progress has been made

At some point you need to make a statement about your #2 Men's program, buyout be damned. It's not as if we will owe him $10 million after this season. 3 years at $1.4 = $4.2 if my math is correct? And while I think little (OK none) of EK's moral or ethical compass, it would be nice if he would help out on this and just retire with say, half that. Does he really want to end his career by getting fired? Again?

At some point you need to make a statement about your #2 Men's program, buyout be damned. It's not as if we will owe him $10 million after this season. 3 years at $1.4 = $4.2 if my math is correct? And while I think little (OK none) of EK's moral or ethical compass, it would be nice if he would help out on this and just retire with say, half that. Does he really want to end his career by getting fired? Again?

Depends on if his contract was rolled over last year by Chun or not. If it was, he'll 4 years remaining, if he didn't, he'll have 3. So it'll either by $5.6M or $4.2M. But for how bad attendance is and everything, firing him might be the best long term investment. Ernie has to be done after this year. I bet Chun didn't roll it over, so he'll only have 3 years left and with hiring a new women's coach he didn't want to do two searches at the same time.

Now who to look at? I don't know. Jim Hayford seems to be turning around Seattle U. I think TJ Otzelberger would be an interesting choice at SDSU. Fred Hoiberg is my pipe dream.

Depends on if his contract was rolled over last year by Chun or not. If it was, he'll 4 years remaining, if he didn't, he'll have 3. So it'll either by $5.6M or $4.2M. But for how bad attendance is and everything, firing him might be the best long term investment. Ernie has to be done after this year. I bet Chun didn't roll it over, so he'll only have 3 years left and with hiring a new women's coach he didn't want to do two searches at the same time.

Now who to look at? I don't know. Jim Hayford seems to be turning around Seattle U. I think TJ Otzelberger would be an interesting choice at SDSU. Fred Hoiberg is my pipe dream.

Nope. 3 years after this one (in link below). And this is a funny article to read, 2 months later.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...nt-living-on-the-hot-seat-he-doesnt-think-so/

Does Dick Bennett have any grandsons?

Dick Bennett could come in via Skype and develop these guys better than Ernie.

I thought this team was starting to show some improvement, not any longer. I said it earlier, Kent's style of D is just bad. 95 pts given up to Montana freaking State! I'm tired of watching this team give the other team easy, wide open 3's all game.

Find someone that knows the Bennett defense and get them to come in and teach Kent. A strong defensive focused team has a better shot at beating teams with higher rated/level recruits, the Bennett's showed us that. Yet, here we are getting slapped around by nobodies, it's freaking pitiful. This team is more athletic than any of the Bennett teams, but this garbage defense just kills us.

I thought this team was starting to show some improvement, not any longer. I said it earlier, Kent's style of D is just bad. 95 pts given up to Montana freaking State! I'm tired of watching this team give the other team easy, wide open 3's all game.

Find someone that knows the Bennett defense and get them to come in and teach Kent. A strong defensive focused team has a better shot at beating teams with higher rated/level recruits, the Bennett's showed us that. Yet, here we are getting slapped around by nobodies, it's freaking pitiful. This team is more athletic than any of the Bennett teams, but this garbage defense just kills us.

Won't work. With breathe-on-them-its-a-foul officiating, no team is going to be able to find success with inferior athletes by playing smothering D. Basketball has changed and that style no longer works.

Won't work. With breathe-on-them-its-a-foul officiating, no team is going to be able to find success with inferior athletes by playing smothering D. Basketball has changed and that style no longer works.
Try feeding that line of BS to Virginia Cavalier fans.

At the D-1 level, particularly in a Power 5 conference, there should be no inferior athletes.

Try feeding that line of BS to Virginia Cavalier fans.

Tony Bennett is having his level of success with 4 star recruits, not two star recruits. Figure out a way to get 4 star recruits to Pullman and I bet you have a coach who will win.

You have to believe they (Chun/Schulz) would have let him go if not for the contract but will eat the rest of it after this year and start the rebuild. We are not attractive at all and continue to fall behind even mid-major programs with facilities we can't afford. Pullman, tough conference, lack of facilities equals a really tough challenge few have been able to crack with just the first 2 in play.

Always have liked Hayford. He's not flashy or exactly dynamic but he knows the game and seems to pull recruits from all over the place. Only 2 years at SU. He's not someone who's jumped around often. Hoiberg almost certainly is out of our orbit. I really think it ends up someone with a connection to Chun and/or Schulz just like with Ethridge. A young assistant or a head coach at a smaller program that wants some of the benefits of a Pac 12 gig.

You have to believe they (Chun/Schulz) would have let him go if not for the contract but will eat the rest of it after this year and start the rebuild. We are not attractive at all and continue to fall behind even mid-major programs with facilities we can't afford. Pullman, tough conference, lack of facilities equals a really tough challenge few have been able to crack with just the first 2 in play.

Always have liked Hayford. He's not flashy or exactly dynamic but he knows the game and seems to pull recruits from all over the place. Only 2 years at SU. He's not someone who's jumped around often. Hoiberg almost certainly is out of our orbit. I really think it ends up someone with a connection to Chun and/or Schulz just like with Ethridge. A young assistant or a head coach at a smaller program that wants some of the benefits of a Pac 12 gig.

So let's talk about facilities. Specifically, let's talk about Gonzaga's facilities compared to WSU's. They have the piss-ant sized new Kennel (granted it's new, but still piss-ant). Because they are a little piss-ant college, they have facilities closer together then WSU (it's a walk from the gyms and weight rooms to Beasley). Are their overall basketball facilities better than WSU's? And if so, how and what? Weight rooms? Practice court (BFD IMHO)? Locker rooms? (for BBall, who the hell cares? Put your shorts on and get out there).

https://gozags.com/facilities/?id=1

Ernie Kent is not changing. He is what his record shows.

Many of the obstacles WSU faces in recruiting top players are the same it faces when trying to attract quality coaches. However assuming our next coach will be paid a million plus a year for at least four years, it would seem the financial aspects alone would attract someone of quality. An assistant at a big program or a successful small school coach would be at least interested in the substantial pay raise. Let’s face it, that kind of money is life changing. If you are successful it leads to bigger paydays and even if you fail you end up right back where you were a small school or as an assistant. (Ala Ken Bone)

So let's talk about facilities. Specifically, let's talk about Gonzaga's facilities compared to WSU's. They have the piss-ant sized new Kennel (granted it's new, but still piss-ant). Because they are a little piss-ant college, they have facilities closer together then WSU (it's a walk from the gyms and weight rooms to Beasley). Are their overall basketball facilities better than WSU's? And if so, how and what? Weight rooms? Practice court (BFD IMHO)? Locker rooms? (for BBall, who the hell cares? Put your shorts on and get out there).

We did some renovation on Smith Gym I believe. It's basically just courts, scoreboard, and signage. I guess it must have some sort of room for people to watch because they had the early season practice in there where fans were invited.

Gonzaga opened a 50,000 square foot Volkar Center for Athletic Achievement.
https://gozags.com/facilities/?id=13

7I indicated we were in the mix for another player from Australia on the women's side. I know GU has done a nice job but I haven't been impressed with their coach. First year for Ethridge but the facilities definitely didn't help our case.

Santa Clara is set to open a $38M facility with a $25M pledge from 2 former athletes.
https://www.scu.edu/news-and-events...ber-2018/athletic-excellence-on-the-rise.html

As long as Few is around we are in a totally different zip code than GU. Probably after Few retires as well. Santa Clara though? They don't have football but we are simply falling behind more and more.

By the way, definitely does not excuse the coaching we are seeing.

Last edited:

Gonzaga's basketball facilities destroy WSU's. And it's not even close. They also fly charter to every game and have for years.

BTW, their piss ant Kennel has been sold out virtually game since it opened in 2004. They'd sell out every game played in the Arena if they chose to play there regularly. Has there even been 6000 for a basketball game at Beasley since Ernie was hired?

Why build a football ops building if facilities aren't important? Just put the pads on and play, right?

Gonzaga's basketball facilities destroy WSU's. And it's not even close. They also fly charter to every game and have for years.

BTW, their piss ant Kennel has been sold out virtually game since it opened in 2004. They'd sell out every game played in the Arena if they chose to play there regularly. Has there even been 6000 for a basketball game at Beasley since Ernie was hired?

Why build a football ops building if facilities aren't important? Just put the pads on and play, right?
Charters are a huge. Whether we are able to fund a facility or not we need charters.

We were drawing better when Tony was in town so there still demand. Just not for what we have today. When we can get 7-8k it's a pretty good atmosphere. Obviously since Tony has left those kind of averages have fallen off a cliff. It actually looked like the Montana State game was a better draw than most this year.

Comparing Gonzaga and WSU is not overly relevant. Our facilities are at least comparable to theirs. The big difference is they win! That fills the seats, if they ever revert back to being an average WCC team who doesn’t make the tournament every year those seats will empty out. If we ever put a winning team on the court again our seats will fill up. The flights are an absolute must and a basketball operations building would be nice, and of course a decent coach! Kent has had a loosing conference record at every stop.

I know that there are serious money issues that Moos gave us along with a not so relevent hire in Hoop. But at this point it is a long road to respectability. We have many needs, but most of all we need a coach with a system that will work.

Not going to be easy and I don't think it will happen very soon either. Too many other things that WSU needs that are in front I am afraid. But I am tired of hearing how Ernie Kent is better than Paul Graham, I actually at this point don't thing so. He has several much better assistants but his vision is awful, his coaching ability is long gone, he just isn't the answer.

I know that there are serious money issues that Moos gave us along with a not so relevent hire in Hoop. But at this point it is a long road to respectability. We have many needs, but most of all we need a coach with a system that will work.

Not going to be easy and I don't think it will happen very soon either. Too many other things that WSU needs that are in front I am afraid. But I am tired of hearing how Ernie Kent is better than Paul Graham, I actually at this point don't thing so. He has several much better assistants but his vision is awful, his coaching ability is long gone, he just isn't the answer.

Hayford would be fine. Brandon Rinta at CWU (formerly LSCS) would work. Ryan Looney at Point Loma (formerly SPU) runs some really nice stuff. Matt Logie at Whitworth has built on what Hayford started - and I could possibly overlook his Mercer Island roots.

Hell, at this point, Matty McIntyre at Gonzaga Prep would be a better fit - but he's got a nice new gym and good players so that's unlikely.

WSU isn't going to get an up-and-comer assistant from a big time school to put out this grease fire without significant bucks and guarantees.

Deflect much? Exactly HOW do their facilities "destroy" ours? Weight rooms are better and bigger, now that FB has vacated ours? You telling me that piss-ant kennel with it's roll out seats is "better"? Why? Because they have a few "Box" seats shoved in the corners? Locker rooms have plasma TV's? What?

I was not asking to compare charter flights, attendance or FOB's. Just their overall BB facilities.

Deflect much? Exactly HOW do their facilities "destroy" ours? Weight rooms are better and bigger, now that FB has vacated ours? You telling me that piss-ant kennel with it's roll out seats is "better"? Why? Because they have a few "Box" seats shoved in the corners? Locker rooms have plasma TV's? What?

I was not asking to compare charter flights, attendance or FOB's. Just their overall BB facilities.

EVERYTHING about GU basketball is better than what WSU has under the Moos/Kent regime. You obviously didn't click on the link provided to the new Volker Center.

This isn't Raveling's shiny new Beasley 1974. It's a dump compared to what real schools with a commitment to basketball make.

You're letting your Gonzaga hate getting in the way of today's reality. They left us in the dust a decade ago.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/apr/12/gonzaga-dedicates-game-changing-volkar-center-for-/

The Volkar Center is a game-changer in numerous aspects, including recruiting. Recruits are influenced by more than just a team’s win-loss record. They study the arena, training center, practice facilities, even uniforms.

“For a 17-, 18-year-old kid seeing stuff like this and what this program is known for, it’s a win-win situation,” point guard Josh Perkins said. “It’s hard to say no.”

This is spot on. If the athletic department didn't have other needs, Ernie would already be gone (one of the reason's I've been rooting for the guy -- we're stuck with him for a while regardless).

Firing Ernie doesn't really fix the problem. Too many fans don't realize this.

If we can convince a Hall of Fame coach to come here, we might be able to have some success. But the bar for success in Pullman over the last 40 years has been HOF level coach. Raveling, Sampson, and Tony Bennett. Beyond them, we haven't had NCAA tournament level team.

No coach with options is going to take this job. Difficult path the NCAA tournament, no recruiting base, probably the hardest place to to win in both the Pac-12 and in the state of Washington. Why would an up and comer torpedo their career path by launching a massive rebuild in Pullman? A million dollars isn't life changing money. You can get a million bucks to coaching in a dozen easier destinations. If we want to win, we will need to overpay or get facilities/charters on par with the rest of the conference. Until then, success will be accidental.

Let me also be clear - I'm not blaming the kids. They are probably doing the best they can. Most of them should just be doing their best at a lower division school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT