ADVERTISEMENT

This Video sums why PAC should rebuild the PAC with the BEST G5's, ACC leftovers NATIONWIDE

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
Here is a video that explains why the best thing that the PAC can, should do, is grab the best G5's from the MWC, AAC, and the left overs from the ACC, after the ACC falls apart.

Take the top 6 to 9 from MWC(Top 9 dissolves MWC)

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

Add Boston College, Syracuse, NC St, Wake Forest, Cal, SMU, from the ACC, as left overs from the ACC, to the PAC

FSU, Miami, North Carolina probably goto SEC.

Clemson, Virginia, Duke probably goto Big 10

Louisville, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech probably goto Big 12.

Stanford, Smith probably don't goto Big 10, SEC, Big 12, PAC(Because of BSU, etc), and are STRANDED, either go independent, or goto either IVY League, WCC, AAC, etc(Smith shouldn't have gone to Stanford)

So if that happened.

West Division would be

WSU

OSU

CAL

SDSU

FRESNO ST

Maybe SMU

Central Division would be

BSU

Airforce

UNLV

Utah St

Memphis or Tulane

Maybe SMU

East Division would be

Syracuse

Boston College

NC ST

Wake Forest

USF

Memphis or Tulane

The PAC would have 16/18.

A good quote from the video

"Someone needs to sit down with Schultz and let him know that while it's admirable that he wants to rebuild the PAC into a PREMIER WEST COAST LEAGUE, that that's not REAL WORLD, and that the best thing to do is to rebuild the best PAC possible with the best G5's, ACC leftovers"

Almost exact quote paraphrased.

Here is the video. The first 25% to 33% of it is about the PAC, etc

Here is a video that explains why the best thing that the PAC can, should do, is grab the best G5's from the MWC, AAC, and the left overs from the ACC, after the ACC falls apart.

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

Add Boston College, Syracuse, NC St, Wake Forest, Cal, SMU, from the ACC, as left overs from the ACC, to the PAC

Stanford, Smith probably don't goto Big 10, SEC, Big 12, PAC(Because of BSU, etc), and are STRANDED, either go independent, or goto either IVY League, WCC, AAC, etc(Smith shouldn't have gone to Stanford)

So if that happened.

West Division would be

WSU

OSU

CAL

SDSU

FRESNO ST

Maybe SMU

BSU

Airforce

UNLV

Utah St

Memphis or Tulane

Maybe SMU

East Division would be

Syracuse

Boston College

NC ST

Wake Forest

USF

Memphis or Tulane

"Someone needs to sit down with Schultz and let him know that while it's admirable that he wants to rebuild the PAC into a PREMIER WEST COAST LEAGUE, that that's not REAL WORLD, and that the best thing to do is to rebuild the best PAC possible with the best G5's, ACC leftovers"

If that kind of PAC rebuild is done, it would probably be a semi Hybrid, semi G5, semi P4, and would probably get about 15 mil to 20 mil per team per year from media deal, and in 2028, when things reevaluated, the conference would probably get 5 mil to 7 mil to 10 mil from CFP, instead of 3.6 mil it is at now. The conference would probably get semi guaranteed one of 12, CFP SPOT, to a 10-2 or better conference champ, at least 1 major January Bowl slot, Gator Bowl, Insight Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Vegas Bowl, Sun Bowl.

And that would be better then either joining MWC, or reverse merging whole entire MWC into PAC, as those options would ONLY get

5 mil to 10 mil per team per year from the media. 1.8 mil from the CFP. A 11-1, 12-0 conference champ could theoretically not get 1 of the 12 CFP spots, and the CFP could choose some other 12-0 champ from the AAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA, etc, instead, causing the conference to LOSE OUT ON MORE MONEY. WHICH WOULD COST WSU MORE MONEY. No January bowls. LESSER BOWLS, LIKE THE POTATO HEAD BOWL.

It's clear, or should be clear that rebuilding the PAC from the best G5's, ACC leftovers, etc, NATIONWIDE, is the BEST OPTION, MAKES THE MOST MONEY, AND STILL HAS OK TRAVEL BECAUSE OF THE WEST, CENTRAL, EAST DIVISIONS.

While I like the idea of this it would take leadership from both us and OSU to make it happen.
Unfortunately they have the leadership right now and we simply don't.
We're screwed.

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

So if that happened.

West Division would be

WSU

OSU

CAL

SDSU

FRESNO ST

Maybe SMU

BSU

Airforce

UNLV

Utah St

Memphis or Tulane

Maybe SMU

East Division would be

Syracuse

Boston College

NC ST

Wake Forest

USF

Memphis or Tulane

It's your vision but if I may add my 2 cents.

UNLV should only be in the WEST Division. Anymore Vegas is like part of SoCal with as many transplants that have moved there. Vegas is less than 240 miles to the Pacific Ocean driving. Colorado State should be added to the Central Division. AF and CSU drive time is 2 hours which helps AF travel costs in all sports. CSU has a media market share in CO that I would argue is larger than AF.

Reactions: 79COUG
It's your vision but if I may add my 2 cents.

UNLV should only be in the WEST Division. Anymore Vegas is like part of SoCal with as many transplants that have moved there. Vegas is less than 240 miles to the Pacific Ocean driving. Colorado State should be added to the Central Division. AF and CSU drive time is 2 hours which helps AF travel costs in all sports. CSU has a media market share in CO that I would argue is larger than AF.
Airforce is Semi National Brand, will probably have more TV eyes, is better at football, etc, then CSU.

It would be between Utah St and CSU, and Utah St is better at football, then CSU, and it's bball is pretty good too.

UNLV can be either West or Central, and can flip flop with SMU, etc.

There's room for minor changes, tweaks, but overall this is the overall kind of thing that the PAC needs to do.

And it's best for the MWC overall, as BSU, Fresno, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, Utah, CSU, is the MAJORITY of the MWC.

I think Gloria, Teresa Gould, Schultz, the MWC presidents need to work out a settlement that would allow the top 7 to join PAC, leave the rest behind, and have the Settlement be less then the ridiculous 17 mil to 35 mil per team that leaves MWC.

The 5 left behind MWC schools could get about 50 mil to 75 mil to 100 mil, instead of 200+ mil to the MWC for taking the top 7.

That's fair, and it's best for the majority, and the leadership of both the PAC, MWC need to make it happen.

Airforce is Semi National Brand, will probably have more TV eyes, is better at football, etc, then CSU.

It would be between Utah St and CSU, and Utah St is better at football, then CSU, and it's bball is pretty good too.

UNLV can be either West or Central, and can flip flop with SMU, etc.

There's room for minor changes, tweaks, but overall this is the overall kind of thing that the PAC needs to do.

And it's best for the MWC overall, as BSU, Fresno, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, Utah, CSU, is the MAJORITY of the MWC.

I think Gloria, Teresa Gould, Schultz, the MWC presidents need to work out a settlement that would allow the top 7 to join PAC, leave the rest behind, and have the Settlement be less then the ridiculous 17 mil to 35 mil per team that leaves MWC.

The 5 left behind MWC schools could get about 50 mil to 75 mil to 100 mil, instead of 200+ mil to the MWC for taking the top 7.

That's fair, and it's best for the majority, and the leadership of both the PAC, MWC need to make it happen.
Meister - are you drinking this Koolaid?

Where does this video commentator come up with $350 as the Pac-2 war chest? Our now-known $65 million plus all 6 years of NCAA BB allocations?

I have looked all over the web, and the only place I see anyone talking about anything remotely similar to Mik's plan is Mik. The Pac-2 needs to circle the wagons, do the reverse merger, and make the best of it. The Mtn West seems to be surviving just fine, with mostly profitable Athletic Departments.

Meister - are you drinking this Koolaid?

Where does this video commentator come up with $350 as the Pac-2 war chest? Our now-known $65 million plus all 6 years of NCAA BB allocations?

I have looked all over the web, and the only place I see anyone talking about anything remotely similar to Mik's plan is Mik. The Pac-2 needs to circle the wagons, do the reverse merger, and make the best of it. The Mtn West seems to be surviving just fine, with mostly profitable Athletic Departments.
lol. I didn't watch the video. Believe me there are many at Rebel-Net that would like to drop some dead weight and help rebuild the Pac-12. I just can't see how the Pac-2 can afford the termination fee from the scheduling agreement. That and the exit fees we would have to pay for leaving. There isn't any way we are going to get 9 Presidents to vote the conference's demise unless the Pac-2 in clandestine fashion buy's those votes with envelopes stuffed with cash. I don't think that is illegal but if Gloria finds out you might as well have a fire sale and lock the front doors at the Pac-12 HQ's.

All in all I'm afraid I don't see any way forward with the MWC without merging.

Meister_Rebel -

Just got home from lunch today with 5 Oregon State buddies, who follow the Beavers just like this board follows the Cougars. No one, I mean no one, has any interest in doing a full merger with the MWC. Two of the guys at lunch used to help do fund raising for the Oregon State athletic department.

Poaching cost for each MWC member: $17M exit fee + $10+M poaching penalty = $27+M/school

If we grab 5 schools, then the cost is = $27M * 5 = $135M (or a little bit more...)

If you believe the PAC-12 has a $250M war chest, then we can afford to buy 5 MWC schools. And we may be able to negotiate a lower number than $135M.

I believe the reason that schools like UNLV (+BSU+CSU+FSU+SDSU) in the MWC would leave and join the PAC-12 isn't because Oregon St. and Washington St. are so great, but rather because they, too, would like to "drop some dead weight".

EDIT: No one at lunch today was happy to see Chun go. In fact, there were some concerns about Chun's leaving.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I propose that all of the non super-conference programs break away from the NCAA and form their own alliance. Don’t schedule with the B!G and SEC in any sport.

Reactions: ATACFD
lol. I didn't watch the video. Believe me there are many at Rebel-Net that would like to drop some dead weight and help rebuild the Pac-12. I just can't see how the Pac-2 can afford the termination fee from the scheduling agreement. That and the exit fees we would have to pay for leaving. There isn't any way we are going to get 9 Presidents to vote the conference's demise unless the Pac-2 in clandestine fashion buy's those votes with envelopes stuffed with cash. I don't think that is illegal but if Gloria finds out you might as well have a fire sale and lock the front doors at the Pac-12 HQ's.

All in all I'm afraid I don't see any way forward with the MWC without merging.

I think if Gloria, Teresa Gould, MWC presidents, PAC 2 presidents, all sat down together, that a 50 mil to 75 mil to 100 mil to 125 mil SETTLEMENT agreement to have the top 7 MWC join PAC, dissolve the MWC, leave 5 behind to join MAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA, AAC, etc, could be reached.

It's just plain ridiculousness on the part of MWC, Gloria, etc, to have to pay 200 to 250 to 300 million to the 5 left behind, so that the top 7 can join PAC.

50 to 75 to 100 to 125 to 150 million is FAIR, JUST SETTLEMENT. It would give the 3,4,5 worst MWC teams a decent, fair, just amount of money, and would be for the best of the Majority, for everyone, etc

The ridiculousness of having to have the PAC pay 200 to 250 to 300 to 350 million for the Top 7 best MWC is TOTALLY UNFAIR, Ridiculous, etc, to BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, Utah St, CSU, totally PUNISHES them by keeping them in MWC, instead of being able to Join PAC.

Because of that a FAIR, JUST COMPROMISE, SETTLEMENT, NEEDS TO, AND CAN BE REACHED, if Gloria, Teresa Gould, PAC 2 Presidents, MWC presidents TAKE THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR ASSES.

Reactions: Dave_86
I just stumbled across this in another forum. Mik will like this:

Rebuilding the PAC

GJyTSCqbEAA-oEU

I don't know who "OS_Beaver" is. But wow, this is another rumor, similar to the CANZANO RUMOR. I'll hunt around and see if I can find out more.

Personally, I'm a fan of taking just 5 or 6 G5 schools. Any more than 6 G5 schools and we've turned the PAC-10 into a G5 conference. If we take just 6 G5 schools, then we can wait for Cal, UCLA, etc. to come crawling back and it will be easier for the conference to look like a Power 4 / Power 5 conference.

EDIT: I'd classify this "OS_Beaver" thing as another rumor. I looked around and can't find anything that backs it up, and "OS_Beaver" is a handle that I'm really not familiar with.

Last edited:
I just stumbled across this in another forum. Mik will like this:

Rebuilding the PAC

GJyTSCqbEAA-oEU

I don't know who "OS_Beaver" is. But wow, this is another rumor, similar to the CANZANO RUMOR. I'll hunt around and see if I can find out more.

Personally, I'm a fan of taking just 5 or 6 G5 schools. Any more than 6 G5 schools and we've turned the PAC-10 into a G5 conference. If we take just 6 G5 schools, then we can wait for Cal, UCLA, etc. to come crawling back and it will be easier for the conference to look like a Power 4 / Power 5 conference.

EDIT: I'd classify this "OS_Beaver" thing as another rumor. I looked around and can't find anything that backs it up, and "OS_Beaver" is a handle that I'm really not familiar with.

I'm with you on the only 6 MWC teams thing, and I suspect that those programs, fans, only want the top 6 to join PAC.

But in order to make something similar to this work, one of the following options has to be done for the following reasons.

1. Cherry pick BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, at minimum, and maybe 1 more, either Airforce, or UNLV at maximum.

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

When ACC falls apart add Syracuse, NC State, SMU, Cal, Boston College, Wake Forest from ACC.

Without ACC leftovers, and without USF:

PAC 8/10(can not take Airforce, UNLV, and only take 3 MWC, if Gloria, rest of MWC presidents want to be DICKS, and not settle, and cheaper, more affordable option)

West Division

WSU

OSU

Cal

SDSU

Fresno St

CENTRAL DIVISION

BSU

Airforce or UNLV

SMU

Memphis

Tulane

With ACC Leftovers: PAC 15:

WEST

WSU, OSU, CAL, SDSU, FRESNO

CENTRAL

BSU, Airforce or UNLV, Memphis, Tulane, SMU

East

Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, USF

2. Cherry Pick the top 7. Reason top 7, is so that in settlement talks with MWC, the MAJORITY card can be played as far as getting the MWC to cooperate, do what best for the MAJORITY, everyone, not just only the bottom 3,4,5 worst MWC programs that would get left behind to either rebuild MWC or join other G5 conferences, etc. 7 is a Majority out of the 12 MWC programs, and is 1 more then the top 6 option.

Add BSU, Fresno, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, Utah St, CSU,

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

Add ACC left overs, Syracuse, Boston College, NC St, Wake Forest, Cal, SMU

Without ACC leftovers:

PAC 11:

WEST

WSU, OSU, FRESNO, SDSU, UNLV,

CENTRAL

Utah St, CSU, Memphis, Tulane, BSU, Airforce

With ACC leftovers:

PAC 18:

WEST

WSU, OSU, CAL, FRESNO, SDSU, UNLV

CENTRAL

BSU, UTAH ST, CSU, Airforce, Memphis or Tulane, SMU

EAST

Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, USF, Memphis or Tulane

3. If Gloria, MWC wants to be DICKS, and NOT SETTLE, Take top 9 MWC(need 9 votes), dissolve MWC, leave bottom 3 behind

Add BSU, Fresno, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, Utah St, CSU, and the top 2 more whoever the hell they are, leave bottom 3, behind.

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

Add ACC leftovers, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, CAL, SMU

Without ACC leftovers:

WEST

PAC 13:

WSU, OSU, CAL, Fresno, SDSU, UNLV, maybe 1 or 2 more teams from MWC, that are the whoever the 2 hell they are teams

CENTRAL

Utah St, CSU, Airforce, Memphis, Tulane, BSU, maybe 1 or 2 more teams from MWC, that are the Whoever the 2 hell they are teams.

With ACC leftovers.

PAC 19:

WEST

WSU, CAL, OSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, 1 more, one of the whoever the hell they are bottom 2 teams out of the 9 teams taken from MWC

CENTRAL

Utah St, CSU, Airforce, BSU, Memphis or Tulane, 1 more, one of the whoever the hell they are bottom 2 teams out of the 9 teams taken out of MWC

EAST

Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, USF, Memphis or Tulane.

Joining MWC, or Reverse Merging whole entire MWC, into PAC, IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION, and therefore, will either NOT BE DONE, OR SHOULD NOT BE DONE.

JOINING THE MWC, OR REVERSE MERGING WHOLE ENTIRE MWC INTO PAC IS STUPID, GETS LESS MONEY, LESS CFP ACCESS, LESS JANUARY BOWLS, LESSER BOWLS, AND THE STUPID HIGHLIGHT STUPID WHATCHMACALLIT POTATO HEAD BOWL

CREATING A STRICTLY WEST COAST PAC CONFERENCE IS STUPID, WILL GET LESS MONEY, LESS CFP ACCESS, LESS JANUARY BOWLS, LESS BOWLS, AND THE HIGHLIGHT STUPID WHATCHMA CALL IT PEON BOWL

One the 3 main options listed above, is probably the main options, only VIABLE options, that can be, will be, should be done, and when if done, will be a semi Hybrid G5, Semi P4, 15 mil to 17 mil to 20 mil to 23 mil per team per year from the media, 5 mil to 7 mil to 9 mil from CFP, 1 semi guaranteed 1 of 12 CFP spots to 10-2 or better conference champ, 1 January Bowl, Gator Bowl, Insight Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Vegas Bowl, Sun Bowl.

The STUPID join MWC, or Reverse merger the whole entire MWC into PAC, only gets 5,6,7,8,9,10 mil per team per year, a lot less then the 3 main options, only get 1.8 mil from CFP, a lot less then the 3 main options, a 11-1, 12-0 conference champ, could end up not getting 1 of the 12 CFP spots, and another 12-0 conference champ, from another G5, could instead get 1 of the 12 CFP spots, instead. NO January Bowls, LESSER BOWL ACCESS, and the WHATCHAMACALLIT POTATO HEAD BOWL.

I'm with you on the only 6 MWC teams thing, and I suspect that those programs, fans, only want the top 6 to join PAC.

But in order to make something similar to this work, one of the following options has to be done for the following reasons.

1. Cherry pick BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, at minimum, and maybe 1 more, either Airforce, or UNLV at maximum.

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

When ACC falls apart add Syracuse, NC State, SMU, Cal, Boston College, Wake Forest from ACC.

Without ACC leftovers, and without USF:

PAC 8/10(can not take Airforce, UNLV, and only take 3 MWC, if Gloria, rest of MWC presidents want to be DICKS, and not settle, and cheaper, more affordable option)

West Division

WSU

OSU

Cal

SDSU

Fresno St

CENTRAL DIVISION

BSU

Airforce or UNLV

SMU

Memphis

Tulane

With ACC Leftovers: PAC 15:

WEST

WSU, OSU, CAL, SDSU, FRESNO

CENTRAL

BSU, Airforce or UNLV, Memphis, Tulane, SMU

East

Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, USF

2. Cherry Pick the top 7. Reason top 7, is so that in settlement talks with MWC, the MAJORITY card can be played as far as getting the MWC to cooperate, do what best for the MAJORITY, everyone, not just only the bottom 3,4,5 worst MWC programs that would get left behind to either rebuild MWC or join other G5 conferences, etc. 7 is a Majority out of the 12 MWC programs, and is 1 more then the top 6 option.

Add BSU, Fresno, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, Utah St, CSU,

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

Add ACC left overs, Syracuse, Boston College, NC St, Wake Forest, Cal, SMU

Without ACC leftovers:

PAC 11:

WEST

WSU, OSU, FRESNO, SDSU, UNLV,

CENTRAL

Utah St, CSU, Memphis, Tulane, BSU, Airforce

With ACC leftovers:

PAC 18:

WEST

WSU, OSU, CAL, FRESNO, SDSU, UNLV

CENTRAL

BSU, UTAH ST, CSU, Airforce, Memphis or Tulane, SMU

EAST

Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, USF, Memphis or Tulane

3. If Gloria, MWC wants to be DICKS, and NOT SETTLE, Take top 9 MWC(need 9 votes), dissolve MWC, leave bottom 3 behind

Add BSU, Fresno, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, Utah St, CSU, and the top 2 more whoever the hell they are, leave bottom 3, behind.

Add Memphis, Tulane, USF

Add ACC leftovers, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, CAL, SMU

Without ACC leftovers:

WEST

PAC 13:

WSU, OSU, CAL, Fresno, SDSU, UNLV, maybe 1 or 2 more teams from MWC, that are the whoever the 2 hell they are teams

CENTRAL

Utah St, CSU, Airforce, Memphis, Tulane, BSU, maybe 1 or 2 more teams from MWC, that are the Whoever the 2 hell they are teams.

With ACC leftovers.

PAC 19:

WEST

WSU, CAL, OSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, 1 more, one of the whoever the hell they are bottom 2 teams out of the 9 teams taken from MWC

CENTRAL

Utah St, CSU, Airforce, BSU, Memphis or Tulane, 1 more, one of the whoever the hell they are bottom 2 teams out of the 9 teams taken out of MWC

EAST

Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC St, USF, Memphis or Tulane.

Joining MWC, or Reverse Merging whole entire MWC, into PAC, IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION, and therefore, will either NOT BE DONE, OR SHOULD NOT BE DONE.

JOINING THE MWC, OR REVERSE MERGING WHOLE ENTIRE MWC INTO PAC IS STUPID, GETS LESS MONEY, LESS CFP ACCESS, LESS JANUARY BOWLS, LESSER BOWLS, AND THE STUPID HIGHLIGHT STUPID WHATCHMACALLIT POTATO HEAD BOWL

CREATING A STRICTLY WEST COAST PAC CONFERENCE IS STUPID, WILL GET LESS MONEY, LESS CFP ACCESS, LESS JANUARY BOWLS, LESS BOWLS, AND THE HIGHLIGHT STUPID WHATCHMA CALL IT PEON BOWL

One the 3 main options listed above, is probably the main options, only VIABLE options, that can be, will be, should be done, and when if done, will be a semi Hybrid G5, Semi P4, 15 mil to 17 mil to 20 mil to 23 mil per team per year from the media, 5 mil to 7 mil to 9 mil from CFP, 1 semi guaranteed 1 of 12 CFP spots to 10-2 or better conference champ, 1 January Bowl, Gator Bowl, Insight Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Vegas Bowl, Sun Bowl.

The STUPID join MWC, or Reverse merger the whole entire MWC into PAC, only gets 5,6,7,8,9,10 mil per team per year, a lot less then the 3 main options, only get 1.8 mil from CFP, a lot less then the 3 main options, a 11-1, 12-0 conference champ, could end up not getting 1 of the 12 CFP spots, and another 12-0 conference champ, from another G5, could instead get 1 of the 12 CFP spots, instead. NO January Bowls, LESSER BOWL ACCESS, and the WHATCHAMACALLIT POTATO HEAD BOWL.

Pretty insightful article. Notice that NOWHERE is there any mention of your Tulane/Memphis Pac fantasy. But keep dragging it out buddy.

OKay, I think we can safely summarize what everyone wants...

Mikalalas: wants to build a super G5 conference using the PAC-2 as a starting point. Mik doesn't seem to be too concerned about the impact of flying the Olympic sports all over the country to compete.

Loyal Coug1: wants the PAC-2 to reverse merger with the entire Mountain West Conference, relegating Oregon St. and Washington St. to G5 status.

Dave_86: wants to poach the 6 most attractive Mountain West schools to rebuild the PAC-2 to the minimum number of schools required by the NCAA to be a conference. Then wait for schools like Cal and UCLA to come crawling back. Dave doesn't seem to care if the money is there to do this or not.

WSU President Kirk Schulz and OSU A.D. Scott Barnes both want to rebuild the the PAC-2 into the best possible west coast conference.

Meister_Rebel: wants UNLV out of the Mountain West Conf and into a better conference, leaving behind the MWC's dead weights.

Finally, here's a thread at a San Diego St. message board. A couple of their fans express interest in helping OSU & WSU rebuild the PAC: OSU and WSU settle with exiting PAC schools

Last edited:

Mikalalas: wants to build a super G5 conference using the PAC-2 as a starting point. Mik doesn't seem to be too concerned about the impact of flying the Olympic sports all over the country to compete.

Loyal Coug1: wants the PAC-2 to reverse merger with the entire Mountain West Conference, relegating Oregon St. and Washington St. to G5 status.

Dave_86: wants to poach the 6 most attractive Mountain West schools to rebuild the PAC-2 to the minimum number of schools required by the NCAA to be a conference. Then wait for schools like Cal and UCLA to come crawling back. Dave doesn't seem to care if the money is there to do this or not.

WSU President Kirk Schulz and OSU A.D. Scott Barnes both want to rebuild the the PAC-2 into the best possible west coast conference.

Meister_Rebel: wants UNLV out of the Mountain West Conf and into a better conference, leaving behind the MWC's dead weights.

Finally, here's a thread at a San Diego St. message board. A couple of their fans express interest in helping OSU & WSU rebuild the PAC: OSU and WSU settle with exiting PAC schools

Their board is so respectful

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

I was able to find the actual agreement in the Seattle Times. Link below. A lot of redactions, a lot of legal gobbelty gook, and a lot of unanswered questions, such as:
  • This $5 million per team we are withholding - so how much are the total FY24 distributions going to be (for WSU and OSU) up and above the withholdings? Will FY 24's net revenues going to include paying off all the liabilities (Kliavkoff I assume, what about that huge TV liability?) Can't remember who or how much but wasn't it like over $60 million? If we walk away with the $65 million plus our normal share and with no major hanging liabilities that would seem pretty good. Forget the class action suit, that will be in court for years
  • Looks like we will get ALL of the 6 year NCAA basketball payouts IF AND ONLY IF the Pac-2 stays alive. Otherwise the traitors share? That is a big number. So Wilner estimates our eventual pot may be in the $250 million range.
Wilner: "Each of the 10 outgoing members will have $6.5 million withheld from their conference distributions (in installments) over the remainder of the calendar year, leaving behind a pot of $65 million for Washington State and Oregon State.

The Cougars and Beavers also are entitled to all NCAA tournament revenue paid out in future years, including the money earned by departing schools, as well as the distributions from the Rose Bowl and College Football Playoff.

The total assets should land in the $250 million range — enough for the Cougars and Beavers to fund athletic operations and potentially rebuild the conference during the two-year grace period allowed by the NCAA. (Starting with the 2026 football season, the Pac-12 must have at least eight members.)"

• Time is of the essence to really quantify these numbers. It seems to me that the reverse merger is the best and maybe only way to retain/secure these monies, particularly the BB distributions. All the redactions don't help
  • I don't see any way that the ACC orphans (which may never happen) would fold their entire league and join a Pac-whatever. What about all their BB allocations and other assets?
Bottom lines - first, NO to the Pac-2 paying for any schools to join. We need to squirrel away our money and stretch it out over years. The MW gets a win by reverse merging. No way is there a downside for them. If they want to boot a couple of schools along the way, let 'em. But we need 12 schools total, at least. No to this coast to coast, multi pod structure - simply to hang on to CFP money, which admittedly is substantial but would be watered down by all the travel and administration and Gawd knows what. The ACC will stay (a weak) P4 by adding a handful of replacement schools in their footprint (yes Mik, Tulane, Mamphis and USF). Why in hell would these schools prefer some f-ed up mish-mish out West?

Clarification. You came close. Myplan is actually a combo of your plan and my plan,.

My way: take 3 or 4 or 6 or 7 or 9 top MWC, whatever either can afford or settlement, * ACC left overs, after ACC falls apart, travel will not be a problem because of the WEST, CENTRAL, EAST DIVISIONS(plenty of teams in the west division, to play against, without traveling far, or across whole country, etc)

I was able to find the actual agreement in the Seattle Times. Link below. A lot of redactions, a lot of legal gobbelty gook, and a lot of unanswered questions, such as:
  • This $5 million per team we are withholding - so how much are the total FY24 distributions going to be (for WSU and OSU) up and above the withholdings? Will FY 24's net revenues going to include paying off all the liabilities (Kliavkoff I assume, what about that huge TV liability?) Can't remember who or how much but wasn't it like over $60 million? If we walk away with the $65 million plus our normal share and with no major hanging liabilities that would seem pretty good. Forget the class action suit, that will be in court for years
  • Looks like we will get ALL of the 6 year NCAA basketball payouts IF AND ONLY IF the Pac-2 stays alive. Otherwise the traitors share? That is a big number. So Wilner estimates our eventual pot may be in the $250 million range.
Wilner: "Each of the 10 outgoing members will have $6.5 million withheld from their conference distributions (in installments) over the remainder of the calendar year, leaving behind a pot of $65 million for Washington State and Oregon State.

The Cougars and Beavers also are entitled to all NCAA tournament revenue paid out in future years, including the money earned by departing schools, as well as the distributions from the Rose Bowl and College Football Playoff.

The total assets should land in the $250 million range — enough for the Cougars and Beavers to fund athletic operations and potentially rebuild the conference during the two-year grace period allowed by the NCAA. (Starting with the 2026 football season, the Pac-12 must have at least eight members.)"

• Time is of the essence to really quantify these numbers. It seems to me that the reverse merger is the best and maybe only way to retain/secure these monies, particularly the BB distributions. All the redactions don't help
  • I don't see any way that the ACC orphans (which may never happen) would fold their entire league and join a Pac-whatever. What about all their BB allocations and other assets?
Bottom lines - first, NO to the Pac-2 paying for any schools to join. We need to squirrel away our money and stretch it out over years. The MW gets a win by reverse merging. No way is there a downside for them. If they want to boot a couple of schools along the way, let 'em. But we need 12 schools total, at least. No to this coast to coast, multi pod structure - simply to hang on to CFP money, which admittedly is substantial but would be watered down by all the travel and administration and Gawd knows what. The ACC will stay (a weak) P4 by adding a handful of replacement schools in their footprint (yes Mik, Tulane, Mamphis and USF). Why in hell would these schools prefer some f-ed up mish-mish out West?
I think you are right. Protect your money. After what the traitor 10 group did why buy other schools into the conference with your money. In reality every school is out for themselves. Everyone seems to be high on SDSU but what if you buy them out of the MWC and then a year or two later they get an invite to the B12. Do you think they would have any remorse in leaving after recently taking your money.

That link to the AztecMesa had one comment that made a really good point. So, if you rebuild taking/buying the top choices you want from the MWC how significant will the new media contract be above and beyond what it would pay for all the MWC teams in a merger. For example the entire MWC with those top schools you want only get just a hair over $4 million dollars annually in their media contract. If you drop the 4 bottom MWC schools who thinks that all of a sudden the MWC is now worth $12 million dollars per school? Unlikely. So you then add those top MWC schools you want and paid for to the Pac-2 do we know that the media contract will now be worth $15 million per school. Again, I wouldn't count on it. Somewhere you have to think of the trade off with your investment in poaching MWC schools. Is it worth spending $55 million dollars in termination fees to buy 5 MWC schools when you really don't know what the media payout return is. You invest money and look for a return on your investment. When will you recover that $55 million.

Keep your money.

Last edited:
I think you are right. Protect your money. After what the traitor 10 group did why buy other schools into the conference with your money. In reality every school is out for themselves. Everyone seems to be high on SDSU but what if you buy them out of the MWC and then a year or two later they get an invite to the B12. Do you think they would have any remorse in leaving after recently taking your money.

That link to the AztecMesa had one comment that made a really good point. So, if you rebuild taking/buying the top choices you want from the MWC how significant will the new media contract be above and beyond what it would pay for all the MWC teams in a merger. For example the entire MWC with those top schools you want only get just a hair over $4 million dollars annually in their media contract. If you drop the 4 bottom MWC schools who thinks that all of a sudden the MWC is now worth $12 million dollars per school? Unlikely. So you then add those top MWC schools you want and paid for to the Pac-2 do we know that the media contract will now be worth $15 million per school. Again, I wouldn't count on it. Somewhere you have to think of the trade off with your investment in poaching MWC schools. Is it worth spending $55 million dollars in termination fees to buy 5 MWC schools when you really don't know what the media payout return is. You invest money and look for a return on your investment. When will you recover that $55 million.

Keep your money.

1. When the Big 12 took CU, it had to agree to spend the next 99 years in Big 12(At least that's what a credible source I read, either directly said or seemed to say)

Now I am not saying that the PAC 2 are in Big 12's position, but SDSU, wants, needs the best possible PAC possible, and is, has been semi pushing to join PAC. If WSU is going to pay 35 million to the MWC, for SDSU, then there better be strong deterrents in the contract to prevent SDSU from doing things like leaving to the Big 12 from the PAC, the very next season.

And SDSU would probably agree to that because they want out of the MWC, and because it would be the PAC paying the 35 million to MWC, not SDSU, and because SDSU would get 13 mil to 23 mil per year from the media alone + their share of the about 3.6 mil to 5 mil to 7 mil to 9 mil from the future WELL rebuilt PAC's share of the CFP money, and the NCAA tournament units(Which they(SDSU, etc, will help produce), the January Bowl(s), Gator, Insight, Holiday, Alamo, etc(Covered in more detail in point 2).

2. If PAC spends about 120 million and gets BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, and then adds either ACC leftovers or Memphis, Tulane, and the PAC became:

WSU, OSU, BSU, CAL, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, SMU Memphis, Tulane OR Without Memphis, Tulane that replaced by ACC left overs, etc, at extreme minimum, with the option to taking ACC left overs if didn't take ACC leftovers, and with the option to taking Memphis, Tulane, if didn't take them, etc. That PAC would get about 14 mil to 23 mil per team per year.

That's based on that the PAC 12 got offered 30 mil per team per year, before the 10 left.

Thats backed up by what a lot of the so calked experts and pundits have also been saying the PAC would get by cherry picking the BEST G5's, and offering a home to ACC leftovers.

MWC is either at, gone be at about 5 to 10 mil per team per year. It makes sense that since the PAC(WSU, OSU, BSU, Fresno St, CAL, SDSU, UNLV, Memphis, Tulane, SMU + maybe other ACC left overs, etc, that kind of PAC), would be better then MWC, AAC, etc, but not as good as the PAC 12(Before the 10 left), that the PAC would probably get about 14 mil to 23 mil per team per year from the media alone + the about 3 6 mil to 5 mil to 7 mil to 9 mil from the CFP, after 2028 + the NCAA tourny units that currently getting and that would be earned by BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, WSU, OSU, Memphis, Tulane, SMU + 1 the money from the 1 semi guaranteed 1 of the 12 CFP spots to the 10-2 or better PAC champ + the money from the January Bowl(s), + money from Rosebowl, Alamo Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Vegas Bowl, Sun Bowl.

That would be a HELL of a lot more money then the 5 to 10 mil from media + 1.8 mil from CFP + NCAA tournament units + the beans, potatoes from the POTATO HEAD BOWL, the PAC would get if Reverse merger whole entire MWC into the PAC, including THE BOTTOM 3,4,5,6 WORST MWC programs.

And the PAC would still have about 50 mil to 75 mil to 100 mil to run the conference while waiting for the about, around 200 to 275 to 300 to 333 mil per year(14 to 23 mil per team, per year media deal, 3.6 mil to 5 mil to 7 mil to 9 mil from CFP, NCAA tournament units, Rosebowl, 1 CFP spot, Alamo, Holiday, Vegas, Sun Bowl.

Also there is the value that GOOD, SEMI GREAT, SEMI AWESOME, etc, recruits would probably rather prefer that PAC, over a reverse merger whole entire MWC conference into PAC. And because of that, if PAC leadership played cards right, that would semi probably build, make a best possible, even better, more semi prestigious, semi powerful, semi more profitable PAC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT