ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Spring Game???

rufffrider

All Conference
Apr 16, 2006
I came away from the Spring Game with a couple distinct impressions:
  1. It was a nice atmosphere in Pullman -- felt like a scaled-down game day. Saw some tailgating underway, and a lot of people out and about having fun. Having the band on hand adds to the feel in the stadium. I was impressed when I got into the stadium with the number of people -- I estimated the crowd at 7500 at the start of the scrimmage, and was a little surprised when I saw the 5300 number reported. (Numbers in the stands varied widely during the course of the scrimmage -- there were a lot of people at the beginning, it got pretty sparse when it started to rain lightly, and then we had quite a few people again at the end when the sun came out for the last quarter.) I'd say this was a nice job by our Athletic Department for the return of the Spring Game to Pullman.
  2. I was pleased with how our DBs played the ball in the air. There was some blown coverages and missed communication out there at times (which is what I expect during Spring Ball when personnel is constantly changing and teammates are split up among the Crimson and Gray teams) but I saw more pass break-ups and heads-up ball by DB's than I have for a while.
  3. QB play was consistent with what I saw in the couple practices I went to earlier this spring, with Gordon having the better day and being more consistent than Tinsley. Neither have really laid claim to the QB spot this spring, but my impression is that Gordon has progressed more than Tinsley with his reps this spring, is more comfortable with the offense, and makes the offense perform better. Will be interesting to see how fast Gubrud grasps control of the offense this fall -- watching him in 7-on-7 drills during the practices, how he moves, and how he throws, he's got all the tools to excel and take ownership of the QB position IF he develops the recognition and decision-making skills necessary for this offense quickly. (I think the latter is a fairly tall order for anybody not named Gardner Minshew however, and don't expect Gubrud to be a clear-cut winner early in Fall Camp.) As for the QBs lower on the depth chart, their Spring Game performance also matched what I saw in practices. Bledsoe is pretty comfortable and relaxed running the offense and is capable of marching it down the field consistently more than any of the other underclassmen right now, Cooper has all the tools but seems to be struggling with the recognition and decision-making piece of the game (which I think is normal for how long he's been in the program), and Cruz shows great potential. (I had to leave the Spring Game before Angelos got his reps so can't really comment there.) Of all the QBs on the field, Bledsoe and Cruz seem to be the most relaxed and have the most fun out there, which is a plus for them in the leadership department and helps to keep the offense from imploding when things don't go quite right.
Looking forward to what football season brings us this fall.

I came away from the Spring Game with a couple distinct impressions:
  1. It was a nice atmosphere in Pullman -- felt like a scaled-down game day. Saw some tailgating underway, and a lot of people out and about having fun. Having the band on hand adds to the feel in the stadium. I was impressed when I got into the stadium with the number of people -- I estimated the crowd at 7500 at the start of the scrimmage, and was a little surprised when I saw the 5300 number reported. (Numbers in the stands varied widely during the course of the scrimmage -- there were a lot of people at the beginning, it got pretty sparse when it started to rain lightly, and then we had quite a few people again at the end when the sun came out for the last quarter.) I'd say this was a nice job by our Athletic Department for the return of the Spring Game to Pullman.
  2. I was pleased with how our DBs played the ball in the air. There was some blown coverages and missed communication out there at times (which is what I expect during Spring Ball when personnel is constantly changing and teammates are split up among the Crimson and Gray teams) but I saw more pass break-ups and heads-up ball by DB's than I have for a while.
  3. QB play was consistent with what I saw in the couple practices I went to earlier this spring, with Gordon having the better day and being more consistent than Tinsley. Neither have really laid claim to the QB spot this spring, but my impression is that Gordon has progressed more than Tinsley with his reps this spring, is more comfortable with the offense, and makes the offense perform better. Will be interesting to see how fast Gubrud grasps control of the offense this fall -- watching him in 7-on-7 drills during the practices, how he moves, and how he throws, he's got all the tools to excel and take ownership of the QB position IF he develops the recognition and decision-making skills necessary for this offense quickly. (I think the latter is a fairly tall order for anybody not named Gardner Minshew however, and don't expect Gubrud to be a clear-cut winner early in Fall Camp.) As for the QBs lower on the depth chart, their Spring Game performance also matched what I saw in practices. Bledsoe is pretty comfortable and relaxed running the offense and is capable of marching it down the field consistently more than any of the other underclassmen right now, Cooper has all the tools but seems to be struggling with the recognition and decision-making piece of the game (which I think is normal for how long he's been in the program), and Cruz shows great potential. (I had to leave the Spring Game before Angelos got his reps so can't really comment there.) Of all the QBs on the field, Bledsoe and Cruz seem to be the most relaxed and have the most fun out there, which is a plus for them in the leadership department and helps to keep the offense from imploding when things don't go quite right.
Looking forward to what football season brings us this fall.
REgarding the QB battle, I think it could be argued that - at least for the moment - Bledsoe and Cruz are also under the least pressure. There's little expectation from either of them, and they aren't in serious contention for the starting job. That makes it much easier for them to relax and just play. Next spring is likely a different story for Cruz.

This is a bit cynical, but I'm concerned about the QB spot. The fact that neither Tinsley or Gordon has been able to separate themselves worries me. Neither was able to threaten Falk, or even seriously push Hilinski for the backup spot. Neither was able to outcompete Minshew. I know it's been said that the competition was extremely close, but they got beat by the guy who'd been in town for a matter of weeks. That doesn't seem encouraging to me.

And now, neither of them can separate from the other. You'd think - based on what Leach typically looks for in a QB - that Gordon's lack of consistency combined with his interceptions would move the competition in favor of Tinsley. The fact that it hasn't suggests that Tinsley just doesn't move the offense very well. His numbers don't seem that bad, but if all the yards are between the 20s they don't do a lot of good.

I haven't really seen either of them, I didn't watch either scrimmage and of course neither has seen any significant playing time. Maybe they really are both just a fraction behind Minshew - which would be a great problem to have - but at this point I don't expect that's the case...and I really hope that someone can come out blazing in the fall and end the competition early.

Watched the replay twice. Defense impressed, lotta speed on the line and good tackling by the secondary. Size continues to be an issue tho. Power run offenses will continue to punish the Cougs,
QB's: Gorden did a pretty decent Minshew impression out there. Clearly he's learned some new techniques from Gard's year. Overall, both Gorden and Tinsley looked relaxed and competent. Nobody really dominated but do they ever in the spring game? As much as I hate to say it, there was considerable drop off when Cooper took the field. The whole offense seemed to slow down and that easy pick six was begging to happen. Bledsoe and Cruz show a ton of potential and even Angelos, who I wasn't even aware was even on the roster impressed with accurate throws and good zip on the ball. Receivers look great of course, would have liked to see Tay and Dez try a little harder to get open. They played like they were in a spring game and knew they had positions locked down. RB's were fun to watch although as much as I like the idea of Markoff, not sure how he will compete once he deals with Pac 12 level d's. Borghi is gonna be a huge playmaker. Based on the QB play so far, he's gonna get sooo many passes this year.

REgarding the QB battle, I think it could be argued that - at least for the moment - Bledsoe and Cruz are also under the least pressure. There's little expectation from either of them, and they aren't in serious contention for the starting job. That makes it much easier for them to relax and just play. Next spring is likely a different story for Cruz.

This is a bit cynical, but I'm concerned about the QB spot. The fact that neither Tinsley or Gordon has been able to separate themselves worries me. Neither was able to threaten Falk, or even seriously push Hilinski for the backup spot. Neither was able to outcompete Minshew. I know it's been said that the competition was extremely close, but they got beat by the guy who'd been in town for a matter of weeks. That doesn't seem encouraging to me.

And now, neither of them can separate from the other. You'd think - based on what Leach typically looks for in a QB - that Gordon's lack of consistency combined with his interceptions would move the competition in favor of Tinsley. The fact that it hasn't suggests that Tinsley just doesn't move the offense very well. His numbers don't seem that bad, but if all the yards are between the 20s they don't do a lot of good.

I haven't really seen either of them, I didn't watch either scrimmage and of course neither has seen any significant playing time. Maybe they really are both just a fraction behind Minshew - which would be a great problem to have - but at this point I don't expect that's the case...and I really hope that someone can come out blazing in the fall and end the competition early.

Now you understand why the transfer is here.

I hadnt seen the young man from CHA. Having lived in Philly, CHA is a very prestigious private school. Wouldnt be surprised if it were $40,000 per year. Very well respected academic reputation.

gordon looked decent, not a world beater, tinsley has issues, hence the transfer which has been my point all along

I won't pretend to know anything about Leach and how he thinks, but I'm comfortable going out on a limb and saying that the only reason he brought in Minshew and Gubrud was to have them compete for the starting QB job. They guys been coaching for decades, and is one of the best offensive innovators and QB developers in modern football history. Did he bring in Gubrud to hold a clipboard? Was his confidence in Gordon, Tinsley, and Cooper so high that he knew he probably wouldn't be needed? Come on....

Like Minshew, Gubrud isn't going to need that much time to pick up the offense. He's got a ton of experience, and despite not competing this Spring, he's been right there absorbing the philosophy and watching film. Injury will be the only thing that keeps him from starting this season.

gordon looked decent, not a world beater, tinsley has issues, hence the transfer which has been my point all along

I know this sounds harsh, but the need for Gubrud was driven by the fact that Cooper's development has been slow.

I won't pretend to know anything about Leach and how he thinks, but I'm comfortable going out on a limb and saying that the only reason he brought in Minshew and Gubrud was to have them compete for the starting QB job. They guys been coaching for decades, and is one of the best offensive innovators and QB developers in modern football history. Did he bring in Gubrud to hold a clipboard? Was his confidence in Gordon, Tinsley, and Cooper so high that he knew he probably wouldn't be needed? Come on....

Like Minshew, Gubrud isn't going to need that much time to pick up the offense. He's got a ton of experience, and despite not competing this Spring, he's been right there absorbing the philosophy and watching film. Injury will be the only thing that keeps him from starting this season.

He comes with an enormous amount of game time. That’s going to be what pushes him over the top. And if he can run his way out of bad plays it’ll get another big season.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

The top of your post I was in 100% agreement. I disagree with this piece. Minshew knew the Air Raid, Played In it, was tutored by Hal Mumme before coming to Pullman. Eastern didn't run the Air Raid, Gubrud is more like Connor Halliday... when he's hot he's good, when he's cold he's not good.

Gubrud will need much more time than Minshew. But, if he's the best of the bunch, he's the best of the bunch.

I might be in the minority here, but I think we are staring down another 10 win season if we get adequate QB play. We'll win with defense this season. I really hope one of our QBs figures it out. Also a little surprised to hear Gunner Cruz has been playing well, sounds like he has the potential to be a beast in the coming years!

I might be in the minority here, but I think we are staring down another 10 win season if we get adequate QB play. We'll win with defense this season. I really hope one of our QBs figures it out. Also a little surprised to hear Gunner Cruz has been playing well, sounds like he has the potential to be a beast in the coming years!

I'm not surprised by Cruz. He averaged about 73 comp% in each of the 3 years as the starter at his high school, and 100 TD passes to only 16 ints. He also had 22 total rushing TDs.

He enrolled early, he's only 17, built like an upperclassman already, and he has a good head on his shoulders.

IMO, he's our future after this year.

CP, we would need a couple of breaks, but we could certainly win 10 during regular season.

Let's be honest; we got some breaks last year. Yes, you make your own luck. Yes, the prepared seize good fortune. But fortune favored us in a couple of games, and we needed it. I still get the shivers thinking about how the Utah game ended.

Well, I think that depends on how you define 'adequate'. Not to be too Animal Farm here, but some adequate QBs are more adequate than others.

Given the amount of talent on this team, particularly in the receiving corps, I think every QB we've seen under Leach could take this team to a bowl (with the possible exception of the spontaneously self-destructive Connor Halliday of 2013). At the low end I think Tuel could stack up 7-8 wins, at the high end I'd expect 10+ from Minshew and maybe 2015 Falk.

Expecting the new guy to reach Minshew heights is probably unreasonable and unfair. But, if that guy can be 2016 Falk...then I think the improved D and the supporting offense can get to 10 wins.

Honestly, there's not a game on the schedule that I think we can't win. We've got some tough road games - we always stink at ASU, Utah is usually tough at home, and we rarely win in Seattle. Add to that Cal, which isn't a tough environment, but they look to have a pretty stout D. We go to Eugene also, which is a tough environment, but we actually seem to do reasonably well there. The home schedule seems manageable, with UCLA looking like the toughest opponent in Martin.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

I think 10 wins is a stretch given the schedule. Too many tough road games. 8 feels like it would a great achievement.

I agree regarding QB and I’m hoping Gubruud takes the bull by the horns this summer and in fall. I wasn’t impressed with any of the QBs. Gordon was the best but he held the ball a loooong time for n many ocasions and I have a feeling he’s going to get eaten up sacked, hit, fumble, etc.

DBs played well. Still concerned about the front 7. Not impressed with McDougle. Looks the part but he wasn’t dominating like I’d hoped and saw him sucking wind coming off the field several times...seemed like he was not in the best part of shape. Pelleur is going to be tough to replace so the D line needs to be stout.

I agree regarding QB and I’m hoping Gubruud takes the bull by the horns this summer and in fall. I wasn’t impressed with any of the QBs. Gordon was the best but he held the ball a loooong time for n many ocasions and I have a feeling he’s going to get eaten up sacked, hit, fumble, etc.

DBs played well. Still concerned about the front 7. Not impressed with McDougle. Looks the part but he wasn’t dominating like I’d hoped and saw him sucking wind coming off the field several times...seemed like he was not in the best part of shape. Pelleur is going to be tough to replace so the D line needs to be stout.

Borgi is the real deal (that was known) but depth behind him is a concern. Markoff is a good story but I don't expect him to be a major contributor. Hope the freshmen coming in are ready to play!

95, you started my morning out with a laugh:

"Well, I think that depends on how you define 'adequate'. Not to be too Animal Farm here, but some adequate QBs are more adequate than others."

That was great, and very true. Thanks!

95, you started my morning out with a laugh:

"Well, I think that depends on how you define 'adequate'. Not to be too Animal Farm here, but some adequate QBs are more adequate than others."

That was great, and very true. Thanks!
I'm here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

Reactions: taf88
What do you think will be the over/under for the season will be?

Not sure what the Vegas o/u will be, but for Coug fans, I’d set it at 7.5.

These 8 games are key; New Mexico St, Northern CO, at Houston, UCLA, at ASU, Colorado, at Cal, OSU. I don’t see us running the table, but 6-2 looks achievable.

That leaves the usual suspects as the make or brake games; at Utah, at Oregon, Stanford, at UW. Can we split those 4?

As of today, I’m projecting an 8-4 season. I think the o/u of 7.5 is pretty solid.

These 8 games are key; New Mexico St, Northern CO, at Houston, UCLA, at ASU, Colorado, at Cal, OSU. I don’t see us running the table, but 6-2 looks achievable.

That leaves the usual suspects as the make or brake games; at Utah, at Oregon, Stanford, at UW. Can we split those 4?

As of today, I’m projecting an 8-4 season. I think the o/u of 7.5 is pretty solid.

If Gubrud for someone reason isn’t there does that change your prediction or is the qb position interchangeable

If Gubrud for someone reason isn’t there does that change your prediction or is the qb position interchangeable

Well, with regard the o/u, it’s pretty much a preseason bet on how the season will go. If the QB position completely implodes, then obviously we’ll fall under the number, as would most every program.

When I look at our schedule, I see a WSU program that is in a better place than 8 teams on our schedule. Doesn’t mean we won’t lose to some of them, but I think betters would trust Leach to carve out 7 or 8 wins regardless of who plays QB.

With that said, I could see is slipping to 6-6 if things really go sideways, but generally Leach is a good bet for 8 wins. Pullman is no longer a fun place to play for visiting teams not wearing purple.

Patrol, I would have agreed with the 7.5 O/U at the close of the regular season. At that point I did not know what we would have at QB, I wasn't sure about the DL, and RB depth looked suspect. At this point I'm comfortable that we will have 2 quality guys competing hard for the starting QB job (Gordon and Gubrud) and Tinsley can back up if needed. Rogers' play on the DL plus McDougle to push the pocket has me more optimistic there than I expected to be. We may see a FB in the backfield (Markoff) for some plays, regardless of how he lines up, and that would be a dimension that we have not had previously. All things together, I'm thinking the O/U is now 8.5.

Only way WSU goes 6-6 or worse is if Gubrud, Tinsley, Gordon, all get injured, and Either Cooper, Bledsoe, etc, cant step up.

Or if Borghi, 1,2,3,4 starting OL, 1,2,3,4 starting WR, all combined together get injured.

Or if 1,2 starting DL, 1,2 starting LB, 1,2 safeties, 1,2 corners, etc, all combined together get injured on Defense

As long as 1 of those 3 scenarios, or similar scenarios, dont happen, WSU would win at least 7 games minimum.

WSU overall over under wins: 8, Best Case under Over 8.5, Worst Case Over Under 7, 7.5, 8, etc, ish.

With Gubrud over under is 8.5 wins, 9 wins Best case, Over Under Line 9, 9.5 wins at most. 8 wins minimum, Worst Over Under Line 7.5, 8

With Tinsley over under is 7.5, best case over under line 8, worst case over under line 6.5, 7

Gordon Over Under 7, Best case Over Under 7.5, worst case Over Under 6, 6.5

Cooper or Bledsoe Over Under 6.5, Best case Over Under 7, Worst case Over Under 5, 5.5

Any other QB, Over Under 6. Best case Over Under 6.5, worst case Over Under 4, 4.5

Its not bloody damn likely WSU wins less then 7

Its not bloody damn likely that WSU wins more then 9 wins.

I see no reason to think Oregon will win. Cry at halftime? Yes they will. Wear fancy uniforms? Yes. Be poorly coached? Yes.

I see no reason to think Oregon will win. Cry at halftime? Yes they will. Wear fancy uniforms? Yes. Be poorly coached? Yes.
Lots of talent. Top 5 class. Agree their coach sucks but talent alone can get you somewhere, especially in this conference.

Lots of talent. Top 5 class. Agree their coach sucks but talent alone can get you somewhere, especially in this conference.

All those true frosh gonna start? Oregon has prob had a higher ranked class for the last 5 years. WSU has won the last 4. Talent and no coaching isnt going as fas as you think.

All those true frosh gonna start? Oregon has prob had a higher ranked class for the last 5 years. WSU has won the last 4. Talent and no coaching isnt going as fas as you think.
I still count the missed PI call 5 years ago as a win, especially when reminiscing with my Duck son.

I see no indication Oregon will be better this year than last, they are unimaginative on offense, cristobal want to run an alabama power offense without the o line to do so. herbert is so over rated it has become comical. That big recruiting class isn't going to save them this year.

Well, another way to look at it is that Oregon was close with us last season after we jumped out on them. They’ll be about the same or better this season, we’ll likely take a step back, easpecially at QB. Plus, the game is in Eugene. Not a sure loss by any means, but also not a lock.

Well, another way to look at it is that Oregon was close with us last season after we jumped out on them. They’ll be about the same or better this season, we’ll likely take a step back, easpecially at QB. Plus, the game is in Eugene. Not a sure loss by any means, but also not a lock.

Were we head and shoulders above them in Pullman with what I consider a Heisman candidate playing QB for us? I think two factors, being in Eugene and having an NFL caliber qb playing for them has to give them a fighting chance. and no lock on our end.

If your kids are so soft and entitled that they are crying at halftime from the beat down they are receiving at the hands of an opponent they thought was gonna roll over for them, I think your kids suck, your coaches suck and I see no reason to think they will win. Year 5 coming up. WSU dominance over spoiled kids and coaches continues.

Reactions: longtimecoug
If your kids are so soft and entitled that they are crying at halftime from the beat down they are receiving at the hands of an opponent they thought was gonna roll over for them, I think your kids suck, your coaches suck and I see no reason to think they will win. Year 5 coming up. WSU dominance over spoiled kids and coaches continues.

Hope you’re right. Somehow they managed to beat UW.

I'll make a prediction.....that we will be looking for another grad transfer qb after this season. Cooper still is struggling making pre-snap reads and reading defenses. This fall.....We will rep Gordon and Gubrud to see who wins the job. Gordon has more arm talent , but Gubrud has the ability to run and more experience. Gubrud's ability to run will open things up for Borghi a bit.

Worried about the linebackers and running backs. Have some really good young wide receivers. Woods, Fisher and Gray all are gonna be really good. I'd say Fisher and Jackson have both passed up Martin. 25 and 34 both look really good on D. Mcdougald needs to lose another 5 to 10 lbs to get more explosive. Sivels looked really good at RUSH. I might give Travell Harris to running back at times....beside Borghi, our dump off game is really lacking. Hopefully the Masillon rb will be ready to go.

they were close to us after halftime when we had the inevitable letdown. when the game was still in play we beat them as bad as I have ever seen a team beaten, with the exception of every game of the wulff era

I'll make a prediction.....that we will be looking for another grad transfer qb after this season. Cooper still is struggling making pre-snap reads and reading defenses. This fall.....We will rep Gordon and Gubrud to see who wins the job. Gordon has more arm talent , but Gubrud has the ability to run and more experience. Gubrud's ability to run will open things up for Borghi a bit.

Worried about the linebackers and running backs. Have some really good young wide receivers. Woods, Fisher and Gray all are gonna be really good. I'd say Fisher and Jackson have both passed up Martin. 25 and 34 both look really good on D. Mcdougald needs to lose another 5 to 10 lbs to get more explosive. Sivels looked really good at RUSH. I might give Travell Harris to running back at times....beside Borghi, our dump off game is really lacking. Hopefully the Masillon rb will be ready to go.

It's not too late to dip into transfer portal for a RB. If they don't, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The only reason I think that could happen is that we lose at least 3 QBs after this year (Gubrud, Tinsley, and Gordon are all seniors). We'll have 2 scholarship kids in Cooper and Cruz, and a walk-on in Bledsoe...plus whichever freshman we sign in the current recruiting cycle.

But, I think the lean at that point will be to go all-in on someone already on the roster. There will be rookie mistakes, but the upside in years 2-3 (and 4, if Cruz wins) should be much higher.

they were close to us after halftime when we had the inevitable letdown. when the game was still in play we beat them as bad as I have ever seen a team beaten, with the exception of every game of the wulff era

To do sooo little with so much should have told the UO admin everything they needed to know about Cristobal. He sucks. Any program counting on true frosh to make plays for them, let alone an entire class to make plays for them, is struggling.

I think Walden is a dope. I will give him credit for his saying about freshmen. 1 loss for every freshman starting. How many is UO gonna start???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT