ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer QB

I love it. He’s physically mature and has a lot of game experience. I wonder when he will arrive on campus ?

Ive been to his high school. It is a big time program in Northern NJ. He was prob recruited very heavily out of high school. Who knows what kind of coaching he has received at UofTerrible.

Not me. I’m guessing Rolo expects Cruz and/or Cooper to leave, and knowing that the QB room has two freshmen next season, he wanted to bring in a 4 year SEC veteran for experienced depth.

4 YEAR EXPERIENCED VETERAN SEC STARTER TO START over JDL, and the 2 freshmen.

Not me. I’m guessing Rolo expects Cruz and/or Cooper to leave, and knowing that the QB room has two freshmen next season, he wanted to bring in a 4 year SEC veteran for experienced depth.

I assume this is a joke. Guarantano would have been drafted had he gone pro. He's not coming to back up. And if offers out of high school mean something, we just added a guy with offers from all four playoff teams out of HS.

Guarantano's accomplishments so far are pretty close to Jayden's ceiling. No way the coaches haven't penciled him in as the starter.

We’re probably losing a QB, but it’s clear that JDL needs time to develop. This dude buys us that time. Coaches are looking to win now. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out with Ward and JDL since both will be the same year in 2022.

Reactions: mikalalas
We’re probably losing a QB, but it’s clear that JDL needs time to develop. This dude buys us that time. Coaches are looking to win now. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out with Ward and JDL since both will be the same year in 2022.

Ward v. JDL will be an interesting battle.

I assume this is a joke. Guarantano would have been drafted had he gone pro. He's not coming to back up. And if offers out of high school mean something, we just added a guy with offers from all four playoff teams out of HS.

Guarantano's accomplishments so far are pretty close to Jayden's ceiling. No way the coaches haven't penciled him in as the starter.

That’s what KJ Costello thought this season. Guarantano just got benched in favor of a freshman QB at Tennessee.

Wouldn’t bother me at all if he starts nexts season, but his accomplishments thus far at UT are crap. Of the 14 starting QBs in the SEC, Pro football focus rated Guarantano 13th.

Some “don’t get your hopes up” links.

Jarrett Guarantano trash can

Back to back

Last edited:
That’s what KJ Costello thought this season. Guarantano just got benched in favor of a freshman QB at Tennessee.

Wouldn’t bother me at all if he starts nexts season, but his accomplishments thus far at UT are crap. Of the 14 starting QBs in the SEC, Pro football focus rated Guarantano 13th.

Some “don’t get your hopes up” links.

Jarrett Guarantano trash can

Back to back
He totally showed flashes of greatness but then would make poor decisions also. As far as a person he is tough as nails. We have had some pretty bad olines during his time. He is an amazing guy that is super respectful and loyal. Every Vol fan knows he is a great guy and has a ton of respect from us for that. He is just so inconstant. Hopefully between a new location and a new QB coach he comes around. Best of luck to him and you guys!

Didn't the Irons Laws for Year 2 of 8 year rebuilds mention something about players leaving and Guantanamo?

Or was it Guarantano?

Reactions: longtimecoug

I doubt he would have been drafted. Pro teams don't like inconsistency, particularly from a guy who had a lot of game experience. I appreciated the comments from the Vol fan. Sounds like an excellent young man who didn't get a ton of help from his O line. But after extensive game experience he was benched for a freshman. That does not scream, "NFL draft". His optimum scenario is to get a year of starting somewhere...preferably a P5 team...he picked WSU...where he can show that he can avoid the bad decisions ("inconsistency") and improve his chances of being drafted. I only did a cursory check, so I don't know the book on the bad decisions. A QB has many opportunities to do things for which he would like to have a do over, and interceptions are just one of those things. Audibles. Leaving the pocket. Throws made on the run. Choices in an option situation. Most of those are split second sorts of decisions. He needs an opportunity to show that he has acquired better judgement and is more reliable. I think he was probably a very good pick-up. How much PT he gets comes down to how he adapts to the offense, chemistry with the team (especially the receivers), and again...the decisions he makes. Time will tell. He will get a fair shot at the job.

This signing doesn't surprise me. As i stated a few weeks ago, Smith our OC and Stutzmann QB coach were following some Big School QB's on Twitter that just entered the portal. Turns out, they were eyeing both Tenn Portal QB's and they each landed in the Pac12.

Has everyone already forgotten about Gubrud? I’m not saying he won’t start, but it sure as hell isn’t a given.
And FWIW Gubrud was a helluva lot more accomplished. I don’t see this as anything more than ensuring depth and competition at QB and likely at least one of the QBs planning on transferring.

Has everyone already forgotten about Gubrud? I’m not saying he won’t start, but it sure as hell isn’t a given.
And FWIW Gubrud was a helluva lot more accomplished. I don’t see this as anything more than ensuring depth and competition at QB and likely at least one of the QBs planning on transferring.

He needs bodies. I wouldn't blame either Cruz or Coop for leaving. That was a crap competition covid circumstances or not.

Cooper and or Cruz were probably going to transfer before this and Rolo knew that, he’s ensured it now. I expect a competition for the job but I think JDL will probably be learning behind a 6th year Sr. Not a bad thing.

I still think de Laura is going to end up being a good QB at WSU, but we generally haven't had much success with our HS quarterback recruits in recent years. To be fair, the jury is still out on Cooper & Cruz (&, of course, Ward)....but prior to JDL, our last 5 prep QB scholarships have gone to:

Cruz
Cooper
Neville
Bender
Bruggman

(*For the sake of argument, I left Hilinski off the list, and there's every indication he would've been successful as our #1 quarterback. But we'll never know for sure.)

It's very possible, if not likely, that all 5 of these guys will have washed out at Washington State. It's either bad luck, bad evaluation, bad coaching once they get here, or an inherent challenge for all teams' coaching staffs of not being to reliably assess how a HS quarterback is going to do at the next level. (That's not unique to WSU and different from a simple poor evaluation on our staff's part) It's likely a combination of all the above.

Glad Cougar

Gubrud’s career was sliding downhill. He was getting benched at Eastern. And he wasn’t an Air Raid QB.

Was this guy caught in a scheme or coaching change? That’s kinda what happened with Minshew.

I still think de Laura is going to end up being a good QB at WSU, but we generally haven't had much success with our HS quarterback recruits in recent years. To be fair, the jury is still out on Cooper & Cruz (&, of course, Ward)....but prior to JDL, our last 5 prep QB scholarships have gone to:

Cruz
Cooper
Neville
Bender
Bruggman

(*For the sake of argument, I left Hilinski off the list, and there's every indication he would've been successful as our #1 quarterback. But we'll never know for sure.)

It's very possible, if not likely, that all 5 of these guys will have washed out at Washington State. It's either bad luck, bad evaluation, bad coaching once they get here, or an inherent challenge for all teams' coaching staffs of not being to reliably assess how a HS quarterback is going to do at the next level. (That's not unique to WSU and different from a simple poor evaluation on our staff's part) It's likely a combination of all the above.

Glad Cougar

The coach and scheme change plays a role for Cooper and Cruz.

Cooper and or Cruz were probably going to transfer before this and Rolo knew that, he’s ensured it now. I expect a competition for the job but I think JDL will probably be learning behind a 6th year Sr. Not a bad thing.
My guess is that after the season ended he sat down with all of his QBs to get their temperature on their futures. He should already have a pretty good idea who’s coming back and who’s moving on. In the current landscape of college free agency if you aren’t having these conversations with your guys early, you aren’t doing your job right. Head coaches at this level are CEOs, and players being able to up and leave is a new reality that needs to be managed accordingly.

Gubrud’s career was sliding downhill. He was getting benched at Eastern. And he wasn’t an Air Raid QB.

Was this guy caught in a scheme or coaching change? That’s kinda what happened with Minshew.
I’m not super familiar with Tennessee, perhaps our Vols poster can come back and share more. Considering the fiasco that occurred when they were going to hire Leach a couple of years ago I’d guess they have issues at all levels of that program.
At no position can talent be more easily ruined or resurrected by coaching/culture than the QB position.

Cruz
Cooper
Neville
Bender
Bruggman

Glad Cougar

It is amazing to me that the most important position on offense, the position that has the most stats to evaluate, the most film to evaluate, the most time with high school head coaches to gather info on their personality... has this little success when moving forward to college and then the NFL.

Imo, quarterback is the most poorly coached and evaluated position in all of football from pop warner to the NFL.

It wouldn't surprise me if schools started taking 2 qbs per class. You have to commit numbers to the position to ensure you always have a good player. Im not advocating for having 10 qb's on scholarship. Kids will move on once they find out where they are on the depth chart. Or coaches will move them on once they've seen them in the program for a while.

That was a different situation.

Both Gordon and Tinsley were BETTER then JDL, Cooper, Cruz.

Also even the coaching staff, EVERYBODY, EVERYONE, expected Gubrud to start.

It was only a TOTALLY UNEXPECTED HERCULEAN PERFORMANCE by Gordon that allowed Gordon to win the Job.

Also Gubrud was NECK and NECK with Gordon In a GOOD way. If it wasnt for that. Gubrud would have been the starter as expected.

Also based on how things turned out.

Leach made the WRONG decision, and SHOULD have started Gubrud.

So way different situation then here now.

Here now:

We have Cruz who is not as good as the transfer.

We have Cooper that might or might not be as good as the transfer, but PROBABLY is not as good as the transfer, and MIGHT Transfer out.

We have JDL, who long term might probably be better then the transfer, but is LESS EXPERIENCED then the transfer, and is just as INCONSISTENT as the Transfer. Also JDL has shown that he might probably need 1 redshirt year to develop.

And then there is the transfer, who while INCONSISTENT, is EXTREMELY talented, had a lot of BIG TIME offers, had a TRASH O LINE and bad coaching to explain his inconsistency, and had, has 4 years of EXPERIENCE IN THE SEC, NOT THE BIG SKY, like with Gubrud, going up against the BEST DEFENSES in the country..

Guarantee that the coaches are bring him in to start.

They plan on starting him, and having JDL redshirt.

And that would be my plan as well.

Only way the Transfer doesnt start is if he either tanks loses the job or if one of the other QB's comes out of nowhere to win it.

Its basically the Transfer's job to lose.

And thats the only similarity to Gubrud.

It was only a TOTALLY UNEXPECTED HERCULEAN PERFORMANCE by Gordon that allowed Gordon to win the Job.

Also Gubrud was NECK and NECK with Gordon In a GOOD way. If it wasnt for that. Gubrud would have been the starter as expected.

Here now:

We have Cooper that might or might not be as good as the transfer, but PROBABLY is not as good as the transfer, and MIGHT Transfer out.

We have JDL, who long term might probably be better then the transfer, but is LESS EXPERIENCED then the transfer, and is just as INCONSISTENT as the Transfer. Also JDL has shown that he might probably need 1 redshirt year to develop.

And then there is the transfer, who while INCONSISTENT, is EXTREMELY talented, had a lot of BIG TIME offers, had a TRASH O LINE and bad coaching to explain his inconsistency, and had, has 4 years of EXPERIENCE IN THE SEC, NOT THE BIG SKY, like with Gubrud, going up against the BEST DEFENSES in the country..

Only way the Transfer doesnt start is if he either tanks loses the job or if one of the other QB's comes out of nowhere to win it.

And thats the only similarity to

Here now:

And thats the only similarity to Gubrud.
Every situation is a different situation. Gubrud was brought in to compete for QB1...just as this guy has. You think Rolo told him he’s the starter? What do you think the depth chart would look like if they released one today? You think he’d be at QB1? I’m sure he did some research and felt like he has a good shot at winning the job, especially with JDLs Inconsistencies. And I’m sure Gubrud did too. It’s a wide open competition, whoever is best suited to lead the team will be the guy.

It is amazing to me that the most important position on offense, the position that has the most stats to evaluate, the most film to evaluate, the most time with high school head coaches to gather info on their personality... has this little success when moving forward to college and then the NFL.

Imo, quarterback is the most poorly coached and evaluated position in all of football from pop warner to the NFL.

It wouldn't surprise me if schools started taking 2 qbs per class. You have to commit numbers to the position to ensure you always have a good player. Im not advocating for having 10 qb's on scholarship. Kids will move on once they find out where they are on the depth chart. Or coaches will move them on once they've seen them in the program for a while.
I get what you are saying and it’s true that QBs are increasingly difficult to evaluate. But you also have a case of diminishing returns if you have too many on your roster or you have 2-3 leaving every year. There’s only so many practice reps to go around and so much time to coach them.

I get what you are saying and it’s true that QBs are increasingly difficult to evaluate. But you also have a case of diminishing returns if you have too many on your roster or you have 2-3 leaving every year. There’s only so many practice reps to go around and so much time to coach them.

Agree. That’s why kids have to move on.

However many it takes to get a legit 4-5 guys is however many it takes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT