ADVERTISEMENT

Tuel, in 2012, Halladay, Falk, Minchew, Gordon and Ward

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
All have looked confused against a defense that rushes three and drops 8. It came to light in Leach's first year against BYU.

UCLA and Arizona have coaches who coached in the NFL. They specialize in making a team left handed, IE take away the oppositions most comfortable thing to run. Arizona is a 4-2-5 team. They went to three down lineman. SAme with UCLA. OSU and Wisconsin run what they run. That's why we beat them.

Our oline has never been good under McGuire. Have him coach TE's if you want. But Dickert's money will be made...assuming we remain Power 5 (huge assumption) upgrading his oline coach. Maybe it isn't McGuire, maybe he is great. We just need different ideas. I would give the oline coach at Oregon State the opportunity to come home if he wants and he at this point gets a lifetime contract.

I have heard that there are whispers of transfer portal stuff etc. Of course we are losing our best defensive players in Hicks and Smith Wade. Not sure who else on that side other schools would want.

And if I see Thorton split out on a running back in man coverage one more time I am going to start wonder what is going on.

Other teams have started to scheme at our linebackers and scheme away from Hicks. And I am surprised Richardson hasn't done much our last three games.

Our oline struggles. Beresford in Boise and Kingston at USC might have helped a little.

And Dollar and the rest of the TE's haven't blocked anyone all season.

A question that should be asked how well are our receivers being coached. Are they getting open at all. Hard to tell just from a TV camera angle.

Some fair observations, Ed. I don't want to get into "gripe session" mode, but it is fair to ask some questions and offer some observations.

I think Beresford and Kingston would have started, so it is pretty much automatic to assume they would have helped.

If our TE's have an identity, I am missing it. In this offense, if a TE is on the field the D needs to be concerned about why he is there and it should force an adjustment. I'm not convinced that there are any significant D adjustments being made when we have a TE on the field.

I have no idea how well our WR's run patterns or if they are on the same page with the QB. What I don''t see enough of is a WR returning to the QB if he is scrambling. I thought that was pretty much WR 101.

As teams continue to scheme away from featured backs and as they continue to use TE in less traditional ways, I say rather than use a 4-2-5, go 4-1-6 or just or a 4-7. With the caveat that the "7" is a mix of dbs and safeties.

I'll confess to not knowing enough about the x's and o's (Piggs will tell you that, and this post just might confirm it), but as you said (and this has always griped me) why put a LB on a skill player when they gonout wide. Pros or college, if you line up as a "wide receiver" immagonna cover you with a dB or safety

Safties are big enough (if you can recruit the right body type) to be used in run-stuffing, and they are lthletic enough to be coverage guys if needed. I don't need some 250lb "tweener" plugging holes on off-tackle runs when a 210-220 lb safety or nickle-back will do.

These kind of smaller guys are probably easier to find, too. That's all I have to say about that.

The portal is going to hit us hard this year, but that was to be expected. I think there's still a decent chance that Dickert leaves as well.

The portal is going to hit us hard this year, but that was to be expected. I think there's still a decent chance that Dickert leaves as well.
I don't disagree with regards to Dickert. He may have a little Tony Bennett in him, wanting to get closer to home.

I've said this before, if rush 3 and drop 8 is such an obvious hack to shut down the Air Raid, then why didn't Utah employ this when we were tearing them apart under Leach? Or am I wrong and they did use that scheme and we just happened to beat them 5 straight years (and Oregon, too)?

Don't tell me Utah's defense wasn't as good as UWs under Peterson (who killed the Air Raid)....or as good as Arizona's this year, either.

I don't disagree with regards to Dickert. He may have a little Tony Bennett in him, wanting to get closer to home.
The difference is that he's not yet on Tony Bennett's level in terms of value. We're facing a daunting end to this season. Even teams like Stanford and ASU have shown significant improvement. Michigan State has deep pockets. They're even with UW financially, and they're coming off a disastrous hire. Someone like Dickert would be a huge risk hire for their AD.

I've said this before, if rush 3 and drop 8 is such an obvious hack to shut down the Air Raid, then why didn't Utah employ this when we were tearing them apart under Leach? Or am I wrong and they did use that scheme and we just happened to beat them 5 straight years (and Oregon, too)?

Don't tell me Utah's defense wasn't as good as UWs under Peterson (who killed the Air Raid)....or as good as Arizona's this year, either.
Easy .. ego . Same reason Leach never even made a small adjustment against the Huskies . It was his system . They go with their system .

Utah is not the only example Ed.
Agree...Beavs are a 4-3 team. They got torched. You asked me why Utah and even OSU don't employ that defense. I told you. Ego and system. The two that did this year are NFL pedigree....they play to take away what the offense does best.

I think it is extremely clear what defense what has made wsu look horrible on offense the last 11 years.

Agree...Beavs are a 4-3 team. They got torched. You asked me why Utah and even OSU don't employ that defense. I told you. Ego and system. The two that did this year are NFL pedigree....they play to take away what the offense does best.

I think it is extremely clear what defense what has made wsu look horrible on offense the last 11 years.
Not ego. No way.

All have looked confused against a defense that rushes three and drops 8. It came to light in Leach's first year against BYU.

UCLA and Arizona have coaches who coached in the NFL. They specialize in making a team left handed, IE take away the oppositions most comfortable thing to run. Arizona is a 4-2-5 team. They went to three down lineman. SAme with UCLA. OSU and Wisconsin run what they run. That's why we beat them.

Our oline has never been good under McGuire. Have him coach TE's if you want. But Dickert's money will be made...assuming we remain Power 5 (huge assumption) upgrading his oline coach. Maybe it isn't McGuire, maybe he is great. We just need different ideas. I would give the oline coach at Oregon State the opportunity to come home if he wants and he at this point gets a lifetime contract.

I have heard that there are whispers of transfer portal stuff etc. Of course we are losing our best defensive players in Hicks and Smith Wade. Not sure who else on that side other schools would want.

And if I see Thorton split out on a running back in man coverage one more time I am going to start wonder what is going on.

Other teams have started to scheme at our linebackers and scheme away from Hicks. And I am surprised Richardson hasn't done much our last three games.

Our oline struggles. Beresford in Boise and Kingston at USC might have helped a little.

And Dollar and the rest of the TE's haven't blocked anyone all season.

A question that should be asked how well are our receivers being coached. Are they getting open at all. Hard to tell just from a TV camera angle.
I don’t really follow recruiting anymore. I think Leachs greatest success was taking 5 OL every class. Do we still do that? Cause I haven’t seen the line this ineffective in a number of years.

Arizona tried this the game we scored 69 on them. You also have to have the athletes.
Exactly. It’s not as easy as simply dropping 8. You still have to pressure the QB. UW could do that cause they had NFLers on their DL. Other teams couldn’t.

Now, anyone can cause our line sucks.

Exactly. It’s not as easy as simply dropping 8. You still have to pressure the QB. UW could do that cause they had NFLers on their DL. Other teams couldn’t.

Now, anyone can cause our line sucks.
How do you explain Utah's problems vs us? I think we beat them 5X in a row....or 4 of 5 times? Great defense. Excellent talent.

How do you explain Utah's problems vs us? I think we beat them 5X in a row....or 4 of 5 times? Great defense. Excellent talent.
As I recall though, we didn’t exactly carve up Utahs Ds under Leach. I think what they did worked ok. They just couldn’t score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT