ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Hillinski

As an old man, too many of my veteran friends have done this. As a veteran, I can understand their battles. As a parent, and as some of you may recall the parent of a former Coug, this makes me sick. Physically ill. We have all been robbed of his future. Not playing what now looks like a stupid game but his real future. Ask not for whom the bell tolls. We all died a little bit today. Every parent, every brother,sister,grandparent,aunt,uncle,friend and stranger. My prayers are with all who need them.

So terribly sad. My wife & I and Coug Nation will be holding Tyler & his family close in our hearts.

Reactions: Coug1990
First shock, then tears, and now a pit in my stomach.

As a parent, coug fan, and human being, this is very painful.

Prayers to all.

On vacation and just woke to this awful news. Absolutely sick to my stomach about it. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, team mates and fans. ✝️

A true tragedy. One wonders if the young man was getting any help with his personal problems?The student counseling Center has always been a top notch mental health facility. Suicide is difficult for all to understand and his passing will affect coug sports fans for a long time.The tragedy goes beyond his family,team and will effect many people on a personal level. I understand that a suicide note was found.But we may never know what transpired to lead this young man, with so much promise, to take his life.

Dammit all to hell. Breaks my heart. I've experienced suicide on a direct personal family nature. A young man very much like Tyler. This brings it all back.
My thoughts, my prayers are with his family. He no longer feels whatever pain he felt. It's now his family's to carry...forever. Our thoughts and our prayers are with them...

Reactions: PatBaum
Just devastating he was so talented, and such a smart guy. He always seemed so cheerful. He lead the incredible comeback against boise, and was poised to have a great year next year.

Absolutely horrible news.

I just woke up to this. I'm in tears at my keyboard... completely stunned and without words.

I can't wrap my head around this right now, but I wish peace and love to his family, teammates, and all of Cougar nation.

Total shock..... I got a little heads up and a Go Cougs from him at the USC game when he walked by me. Can't believe this happened. I hope his family is able to cope with the sudden loss of their loved one in the best way possible.

Condolences to the Hiinski family.

No sadness like a parent having to bury his or her child.

R.I.P. Tyler.

I've been at a loss of words since the news broke. Absolutely devastating.

Uplifting thoughts to his family, friends, teammates and all the people he touched throughout his life.

I've experienced depression personally. It's a spiral that feeds itself. It is very hard to come out of without help and many times those around, don't even know. Depressed folks are the best at putting on a smiley face.

TH3... you are thought of. You will be missed by Cougar Nation but most of all by your family and friends. May peace be with you, sir.

I've experienced depression personally. It's a spiral that feeds itself. It is very hard to come out of without help and many times those around, don't even know. Depressed folks are the best at putting on a smiley face.

TH3... you are thought of. You will be missed by Cougar Nation but most of all by your family and friends. May peace be with you, sir.
95 I think you touched on why so many people are in shock. I consider myself truly fortunate I don't suffer from depression, but I have seen it with friends and it can be devastating.

People who suffer from depression do hide it well. They know how to act and put on the happy face. I'll never forgot a girl from high school who was the most bubbly person in the school. Years later she was hospitalized because she was so depressed.

Sometimes when I talk to people I know who suffer from depression you can almost see the inner turmoil by looking at their eyes. You are right, the depression is hard to come out of and I am glad you shared your personal story.

From all the comments I read, yours really hit home. One could only imagine the inner turmoil/hell he must have been going through to end his life.

Moments like this remind me even Pullman which I think is the stepping stone to get college kids ready for the real world, that the real world comes to them and they have to deal with these tragedies. Thanks for sharing your story!

From the University of Richmond community - Thoughts and prayers being sent your way. I hope we learn enough about what happened so that others will benefit from this terrible tragedy. Many of those who choose suicide shock us all who didn't expect it, because they have already decided to take their life. In the days leading up to the actual incident, they may seem fine, even cheerful; this is because the decision has been made - so the pressure is off. Now they look forward to their final solution. Keep an eye on those who appear depressed, who then begin to function better - they may be ready to end it all. For any of you who may be considering this course of action to end your pain, just know that help is always available - and it is so easy to get - from a variety of places. Seek help, and seek it now - it's easier than you think!! Then all you have to listen and be thrilled by your progress as the days and weeks go on. Praying for all of you who need to ask for help. Praying for the Helinski family and extended family. God and your friends will get you through this. Expect small successes through baby steps at first; then notice that giant steps are now possible, and will thrust you into sustained success and happiness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT