ADVERTISEMENT

USC thread anyone?

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
How about we talk about the game.

The Spokesman-Review had a good article about the biggest 5 USC-WSU games in recent history.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/26/counting-them-down-the-five-most-anticipated-games/

I was there for the 1989 and 2002 games, watched the 1997 game on TV.

Don't know what the current line is on the game, but I'm sure we are a TD-plus underdog. My biggest fear is that USC's defensive talent will overwhelm us - their DB's will close to the ball unlike anything we have seen so far. The O-line will have to play the game of their lives. I look to see a lot of 2 back looks by the Cougs.

We will have to avoid any turnovers this game, and hope that the D can get one or two. Crowd will be full throated which will help. Falk must get rid of the ball fast. I will stick to my 38-35 Cougs prediction, but then I always will predict a win. We have won many games in the past where on paper we should lose. This is yet another one. It can be done.

I was a student during the 2002 season. That USC game was amazing.

I just dont like how we match up with these guys. Darnold is dynamic and I'm worried that a) he'll have all day to throw and/or b) when we do get pressure, he'll escape with his quickness. Their D also scares me. This is the first really good defense that Falk is going to have to go up against this season.

I think if both teams play mistake free football we lose. We need to force USC into beating themselves if we want to have a chance. Force turnovers and get them rattled early. If I had to predict this one, I'd give the edge to USC something along the lines of 37-27. Hope I am wrong. Beating USC could really propel us to the next level. Maybe even borderline top 10 in next weeks rankings. Its been what... 14 years since we were ranked that high?

I was a student during the 2002 season. That USC game was amazing.

I just dont like how we match up with these guys. Darnold is dynamic and I'm worried that a) he'll have all day to throw and/or b) when we do get pressure, he'll escape with his quickness. Their D also scares me. This is the first really good defense that Falk is going to have to go up against this season.

I think if both teams play mistake free football we lose. We need to force USC into beating themselves if we want to have a chance. Force turnovers and get them rattled early. If I had to predict this one, I'd give the edge to USC something along the lines of 37-27. Hope I am wrong. Beating USC could really propel us to the next level. Maybe even borderline top 10 in next weeks rankings. Its been what... 14 years since we were ranked that high?
The good news here is that Darnold loves to turn the ball over. He is elusive but I think this will be the fastest Defense he will have to face YTD. My biggest concern is their ground game. I think if we stack the box a bit and force them to throw more, we will fare better than if we don't. Yes, they are a well balanced team but the teams that limited their rushing attack against USC thus far, were able to keep the game close.

I am excited and worried about this game. The one thought that usually sways me back into excitement mode is when I think of their CAL game last weekend.

Is CAL truly better and more athletic than us? I would say no.

We got a legit shot at taking down USC, I hope our boys seize the moment. ESPN has been hyping this game up big time.

I'm in line with all of the above. In terms of matching up with USC, this is probably as close as we've been since 2002 to being able to go toe to toe with them. That doesn't mean that we can go toe to toe, it just means we are closer than we've been in a while. My head says we lose this game by 10 points. My heart says that we rattle Darnold and minimize our own mistakes and sneak out a 4 point win.

The good news here is that Darnold loves to turn the ball over. He is elusive but I think this will be the fastest Defense he will have to face YTD. My biggest concern is their ground game. I think if we stack the box a bit and force them to throw more, we will fare better than if we don't. Yes, they are a well balanced team but the teams that limited their rushing attack against USC thus far, were able to keep the game close.
it's all on Falk, if he comes out sleep walking we will get blown out early

it's all on Falk, if he comes out sleep walking we will get blown out early

This. We can't afford to get into a situation where our D comes out strong but we can't put points on the board. If we are down like 10-0 at the half, I will be mad. Our D will eventually get worn down. We need to start quick, force some turnovers, and build some momentum. Offensively, that falls on Falk.

At least if we start slow and get blown out, I can get to bed at a remotely decent time. I'm east coast so 10:30 start is brutal... and my young children couldn't care less how much sleep daddy got when they come wake me up at 6am.

i think this one will come down to how well the defense plays. talent-wise, we don't really match up, which i realize isn't a terribly original thought. sc is likely to break off big chunks of yardage against the d all night. however, this has been the definition of an opportunistic d, and if hercules and co. can get in that ass and be disruptive, they have a shot at generating the kind of pressure that leads to sacks/TFLs/turnovers.

i think the offense will probably sputter in this one. sc's defensive front is talented and physical, and our o-line has not been as advertised yet--especially in the run game. i don't see much of a run game for the cougs in this one and, if the o-line can't keep sc's pass rush at bay, we could see the return of deer-in-the-headlights falk (i know there's been a lot of debate about the guy, but let's not pretend that the deer-in-the-headlights version doesn't exist).

if the d can be its aggressive, ball-hawking self, i think we've got a decent shot. otherwise, it could be a real long night.

i think this one will come down to how well the defense plays. talent-wise, we don't really match up, which i realize isn't a terribly original thought. sc is likely to break off big chunks of yardage against the d all night. however, this has been the definition of an opportunistic d, and if hercules and co. can get in that ass and be disruptive, they have a shot at generating the kind of pressure that leads to sacks/TFLs/turnovers.

i think the offense will probably sputter in this one. sc's defensive front is talented and physical, and our o-line has not been as advertised yet--especially in the run game. i don't see much of a run game for the cougs in this one and, if the o-line can't keep sc's pass rush at bay, we could see the return of deer-in-the-headlights falk (i know there's been a lot of debate about the guy, but let's not pretend that the deer-in-the-headlights version doesn't exist).

if the d can be its aggressive, ball-hawking self, i think we've got a decent shot. otherwise, it could be a real long night.
we will see how falk is for this game immediately, he either will come out playing well or go back into his mummy act, there doesn't seem to be an in between

I think an early sign will be slowing down their run game. If they do rip off large chunks running as they weren't successful against Cal.....it means they'll most likely handle us throughout the game. Cal itself turned the ball over 4 times and still hung with them. SC is going to come out tough one way or another. TOP and large gains when you can get them. Cal had some 20+ long runs and I hope Morrow or Williams can get a few on their side of the half.

Who's all gonna be there? I'm already prepped to be horse AF after this game and will get my voice back by hopefully enjoying several celebratory beverages.

Who's all gonna be there? I'm already prepped to be horse AF after this game and will get my voice back by hopefully enjoying several celebratory beverages.
I will be there too! This was the game I had marked, planned and paid to attend this year. If we win, I'm seriously considering going to Autzen next weekend as I have never been.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
This. We can't afford to get into a situation where our D comes out strong but we can't put points on the board. If we are down like 10-0 at the half, I will be mad. Our D will eventually get worn down. We need to start quick, force some turnovers, and build some momentum. Offensively, that falls on Falk.
Yeah, he needs to come out and just play. I'd rather see him Throw 4 picks taking some chances to try and win the game and see us get blown out then watch USC bleed us to death by a thousand paper cuts because he is playing not to lose and throwing swing passes for two yards.

I'll take an agressive Falk no matter the result. No chance with a tentative slow starting Falk.

Darnold counts on his receivers to win the ball. He will throw into a crowd.

we will see how falk is for this game immediately, he either will come out playing well or go back into his mummy act, there doesn't seem to be an in between

The one constant on this board is your Eyore-ish negativity, LTC. C'mon man. Falk will be on fire and we will score many TD;s

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT