ADVERTISEMENT

Utah NIL deal- Ram trucks for everyone

The way truck deliveries are going, they won't have the trucks for 6 months.

According to Yahoo Sports' Ross Dellenger, the leases on the trucks are for six months and will be voided if the player transfers or if their eligibility expires.

The deal is said to be the most lucrative NIL agreement in history, with the 85 trucks valued at around $6 million in total.

“This is gonna give us a leg up on recruiting and that’s what it’s all about," said Utes head coach Kyle Whittingham about the record-setting deal.

And some guy hit the transfer portal today. Guess he’s a Ford guy!

According to Yahoo Sports' Ross Dellenger, the leases on the trucks are for six months and will be voided if the player transfers or if their eligibility expires.

The deal is said to be the most lucrative NIL agreement in history, with the 85 trucks valued at around $6 million in total.

“This is gonna give us a leg up on recruiting and that’s what it’s all about," said Utes head coach Kyle Whittingham about the record-setting deal.
OK I know I've been away from accounting for a while, but 6 million divided by 85 is 70,588. For leased trucks? Hell I am confident that sticker prices to buy them aren't $70,588 per.

Feel free to check my math.

Regardless:
A: must be some rich Mormons out there. How?
B: WSU can't compete with that. I'm curious as to what our NIL strategy is. I like the idea of giving every player the same "stipend". whatever that number is. We just can't afford to give one player what - $100k? and do little or nothing for everyone else.
C: Are we (or will we) be doing anything with our women (VB and Soccer)? I'm not even going there on BB, although I am curious if NIL is strictly a Football thing at other schools, or if other sports are dipping their snouts.

went to the Cougar Collective site, lots of PR but not a lot of detail as to how much money is coming in or where/who it's going to (generically or specifically). Even though I'm now retired and have to watch my spending (want to make sure lots is left for my kids and grandkids, I'm warming up slightly to maybe throwing some support at them. But not if it's tossing money down a black hole.

From the site:
"No, contracts vary based on the specific athlete and the requirements of the contributor and/or activation. Each deal is individually negotiated and agreed upon by the student-athletes. That being said, the Cougar Collective seeks to provide equal opportunities for both male and female student-athletes."

If any Board patrons are members, maybe they have more insight

$70K for a loaded 1/2 ton pickup is the new norm Loyal.
Wow. Guess things have gone up since we bought our (now my) 1500 Silverado 27 years ago. Think I'll keep hanging on to it. Still runs like a champ. Those 350's are rock solid.

Still doesn't explain it. They say the trucks are leases - not purchases. Maybe Utah is calculating it on the 4-5 years a kid will be there.

Wow. Guess things have gone up since we bought our (now my) 1500 Silverado 27 years ago. Think I'll keep hanging on to it. Still runs like a champ. Those 350's are rock solid.

Still doesn't explain it. They say the trucks are leases - not purchases. Maybe Utah is calculating it on the 4-5 years a kid will be there.
This isn't that hard, dude. "The trucks are valued at X." Not "the leases for the trucks will cost X."

If you really pay attention, you'd likely be amazed at how many facts, figures, and statements -- especially headlines -- are completely slanted for effect. It's pervasive.

HE MUST BE PROUD OF HIMSELF FOR KILLING THE CLIMATE!

Based on a few guys keeping the trucks for several years and most not more than a year or two; and some only 6 months; I'm guessing that the value of the collective deal is someplace in the range of maybe 35-40% of the quoted total retail figure. For a purchase this size they would get a deal...heck, probably one or more alum dealers involved. More than likely, when a guy graduates or is cut, his truck would go to the next guy. On that basis, the full cost becomes more real, but is spread over probably 5 years (common truck lease term). All in all, I'd SWAG the NIL cost at something like $1.5 million/year. The big deal is getting someone to guarantee the full $6m. Somebody stepped up to do that. But actual annual cost? Not nearly as much as the initial figure would suggest.

Based on a few guys keeping the trucks for several years and most not more than a year or two; and some only 6 months; I'm guessing that the value of the collective deal is someplace in the range of maybe 35-40% of the quoted total retail figure. For a purchase this size they would get a deal...heck, probably one or more alum dealers involved. More than likely, when a guy graduates or is cut, his truck would go to the next guy. On that basis, the full cost becomes more real, but is spread over probably 5 years (common truck lease term). All in all, I'd SWAG the NIL cost at something like $1.5 million/year. The big deal is getting someone to guarantee the full $6m. Somebody stepped up to do that. But actual annual cost? Not nearly as much as the initial figure would suggest.
And the insurance must be a huge figure. A bunch of 18-23 year olds?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT