ADVERTISEMENT

Was UCLA the statistically biggest meltdown in school history?

chipdouglas

Hall Of Fame
Mar 16, 2005
Title sounds alarmist but consider the amount of points in a short time.

I went to bed when it was 49-17 (kids, time zones). There were just 19 minutes of game clock remaining. I woke up to learn we had given up 50 (!) points in scarcely 18.5 minutes.

Has this EVER been accomplished against WSU before; ie giving up 50+ in 20 minutes of clock or less? I went back and looked at 2008 USC and even they needed 46 minutes of clock to crack 50. People talk about Cal but that was 3 1/2 quarters to get to 50.

Worth pointing out that even an average defense would have held UCLA to 14 points. I'm aware of ST and the 6 turnovers but they had 28 first downs (matching their combined first two games) and 650+ yards of offense (they were averaging 250+).

I don't see this as a lapse because we saw signs of this earlier in the season but were able to skate due to how inferior the opponent was. If we couldn't handle UCLA, hard to imagine how we will handle Utah, UW, Cal and the rest.

Ah well, I guess at this point the pressure is off and we're just watching for fun - see how many points we can put up.

Probably all sorts pf unprecedented stats from last night. I doubt any team had ever overcome 6 turnovers and still scored 60 points.

Title sounds alarmist but consider the amount of points in a short time.

I went to bed when it was 49-17 (kids, time zones). There were just 19 minutes of game clock remaining. I woke up to learn we had given up 50 (!) points in scarcely 18.5 minutes.

Has this EVER been accomplished against WSU before; ie giving up 50+ in 20 minutes of clock or less? I went back and looked at 2008 USC and even they needed 46 minutes of clock to crack 50. People talk about Cal but that was 3 1/2 quarters to get to 50.

Worth pointing out that even an average defense would have held UCLA to 14 points. I'm aware of ST and the 6 turnovers but they had 28 first downs (matching their combined first two games) and 650+ yards of offense (they were averaging 250+).

I don't see this as a lapse because we saw signs of this earlier in the season but were able to skate due to how inferior the opponent was. If we couldn't handle UCLA, hard to imagine how we will handle Utah, UW, Cal and the rest.

Ah well, I guess at this point the pressure is off and we're just watching for fun - see how many points we can put up.
Third biggest meltdown in NCAA history.

2006 - Northwestern blew a 35-point 3rd quarter lead over Michigan state, lost 41-38

2017 - Texas A&M led UCLA by 34 with 19 minutes left. Lost 45-44

2006 - Northwestern blew a 35-point 3rd quarter lead over Michigan state, lost 41-38

Worth noting that the UCLA team that came back on A&M a couple years ago had Rosen at the helm and wasn't as inept offensively as the team WSU just lost to. I remember watching that game.

How does one figure that giving up 50 points in 19 minutes falls BEHIND those other two meltdowns?

How does one figure that giving up 50 points in 19 minutes falls BEHIND those other two meltdowns?
Purely size of the lead blown. No sign that anyone has ever given up 50 in so little time and simultaneously blown a lead that big.

Schadenfreude ist die beste freude.
That's why it's almost as rewarding to root against a team as it is to root for a team. Especially true when it comes to Ducks & Huskies. But that always sets up a conundrum when UO plays UW. The consolation in that scenario is that somebody has to lose that game.

Glad Cougar

Was there any snow?

I do not live anywhere close to the State of Washington but with social media you can figure out fan bases' sensitivities and for fun troll the hell out of them.

With the Huskies it is any inference that UW won last year's Apple Cup only because of snow. Say that on twitter or on message boards and Husky hit it like fish on a trot line. Admit to doing it and the reaction is incredibly predictable and funny to watch.

Husky fans are very aggie-like in their insecurities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 79COUG
I do not live anywhere close to the State of Washington but with social media you can figure out fan bases' sensitivities and for fun troll the hell out of them.

With the Huskies it is any inference that UW won last year's Apple Cup only because of snow. Say that on twitter or on message boards and Husky hit it like fish on trot line. Admit to doing it and the reaction is incredibly predictable and funny to watch.

Husky fans are very aggie-like in their insecurities.
Look at me opening up this can of worms but...

Homers (like myself) want TOTAL SURRENDER after defeating a rival. It doesn't matter how legitimate some qualifications may be because it's antithetical to the idea that, in victory, one should get to enjoy unqualified preening and celebration.

The idea that weather dictated our 100% timing- and blocking- based offense was unable to be in the appointed place at the appointed time, and that this would be [fatally] disruptive to such an offense, must be obvious to our in-state rivals. But, understandably, they don't want a panel discussion - they want Conan-style conquest:

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Gents, I don’t know what to say. It was a bad weekend for my team, UK, as well. I watched the Cougs up until halftime thinking that this game would be in the bag. I’m sure you guys felt pretty good as well. When I woke up Sunday and started reading, I thought there was no way that that score was right. I watched the highlights and was incredulous.

Hopefully, the Cougs will spend a significant amount of time on tackling, securing the ball, and special teams this week. What happened on Saturday to me was an anomaly. There is definitely some concern on defense, but I still think this team can win 8 or more games. I’ll definitely be watching the Utah game on Saturday. Beat the Utes!!

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Jeezus man, the Cougs just had a historic meltdown and that's all you can come up with?
Fab I gotta be honest, double H's remark was cutting. How else do you thread the needle of one of the worse meltdowns in NCAA history to the reasons(WSU)/excuses(UW) for our performance in the Apple Cup. It is almost brilliant in its simplicity. I had to get Bactine and a Dora the Explorer band-aid.

Reactions: HHusky
Both teams played in the weather. Just like Cal had a lightning delay too. And yes, I acknowledge that you can play the percentages and say weather won't affect the Air Raid most of the time. Still, the wind blows sometimes and it can snow during football season. Just additional reasons to be able to pound the rock. In the end, what the outcome of the Apple Cup would have been without snow is unknowable. Both teams played in it.
Do you acknowledge that a team whose offensive abilities are predicated exclusively on route timing and blocking would be more affected by adverse traction than a power run / PA team (or at least a team with the bodies and talent to adapt in-game to power run)?

Or are ALL offensive schemes impacted exactly identically by all weather and footing conditions?

Reactions: ATACFD
Whether he acknowledges it or not, Chip, I think it's pretty clear that the Air Raid was affected significantly by the weather (which, lest anyone forget, wasn't just "snow" but heavy snowfall that stayed on the field as thick crust and slush), with UW's offense not affected in the same way for obvious reasons. This was a 5-point game in the 4th quarter. It's not hard at all to envision that game going differently in even slightly better conditions.

That said, it's also clear that neither UW nor anyone else forces WSU to run the Air Raid, so if WSU is going to do so in a place where the weather can get dicey for the last month, if not longer, it has to accept the fact that it can be at a disadvantage in those games, including a fair number of home Apple Cups.

Last edited:
Are you seriously you don’t have the talented bodies necessary to run the ball as conditions dictate? You’ve produced All American and first round draft pick offensive linemen in the recent past. There are lots of supposed Air Raid teams that also run the ball.

Face it. Leach stubbornly loses games he should win because he won’t run clock or the ball. You have the talent, not the inclination.
Don’t tell all our TE’s and FB’s. I hear they can help a running game.

I’m sorry we prohibited you from recruiting particular position groups. Who knew football was played (mostly) outdoors?
That was a quick turnaround. From mocking the idea that "we don't have the bodies" to mocking the fact that we don't have the bodies... make up your mind, man!

Whether he acknowledges it or not, Chip, I think it's pretty clear that the Air Raid was affected significantly by the weather (which, lest anyone forget, wasn't just "snow" but heavy snowfall that stayed on the field as thick crust and slush), with UW's offense not affected in the same way for obvious reasons. This was a 5-point game in the 4th quarter. It's not hard at all to envision that game going differently in even slightly better conditions.

That said, it's also clear that neither UW nor anyone else forces WSU to run the Air Raid, so if WSU is going to do so in a place where the weather can get dicey for the last month, if not longer, it has to accept the fact that it can be at a disadvantage in those games, including a fair number of home Apple Cups.
Perfectly acceptable and after the final Price, most of the Doba, and all of the Wulff years, there is nobody here who wouldn't make the tradeoff we have.

The Dawgs want total intellectual surrender and groveling. Unfortunately this is just a game and people are permitted to be intellectually honest and thorough, even in defeat.

I’m just taking your word for it. It’s not as if no one ever thought of lining a DT up at fullback or an OT at TE. It is done. Frequently.
Do you think our opponents will bite on the play action to the DT. Because if you do, you may be onto something

I’m just taking your word for it. It’s not as if no one ever thought of lining a DT up at fullback or an OT at TE. It is done. Frequently.
With every troll there's a touch of narcissism. HH can't decide if he's above this whole situation or right in it.

From "weather doesn't matter" to "you should have made the adjustments", then "of course you have the talent" to "you should have already recruited the talent", to now suggesting we should be starting DTs on offense as an obvious fix... with a healthy sprinkling of "LOLs" and comments designed to appear aloof...

I hope you made sure to stretch before all these gymnastics.

Just a touch?

Anyway, you can always build your LeachDome if you're married to this offense. But I can't guarantee you'll never see weather again. Football is meant to be played outside.
For what it’s worth, I don’t subscribe to the “this offense can’t win in the weather”. I watched Tom Brady put up 50 on some poor NFL team in similar conditions not changing their offensive game plan at all. I think he threw 5 TDs.

I will say, GM2 was severely bothered. Couldn’t grip the ball, wasn’t seeing things. That won’t work when so much of your offense is predicated on the pass. Not an excuse, as I’ve said before UW handled it better and deserved to win.

Who the hell knows how the next QB will handle a bad weather game. I agree with you football is meant to be played outside. I’m not a fan of Domes.

Just a touch?

Anyway, you can always build your LeachDome if you're married to this offense. But I can't guarantee you'll never see weather again. Football is meant to be played outside.
Football isn’t “meant” to be anything.

Sometimes it’s inside (Atlanta) and sometimes it’s outside (Green Bay). Is somebody doing it “wrong” and if so, what is your source. The fact is, you’re saying that but it’s not true and it doesn’t meant anything.

To 90, who said “can’t win in weather?” The claim has always been that winning in weather is more difficult than with some offensive schemes. Hard to deny that.

Look, we have a nice, elusive little turbocharged rally car that gets us around the course with aplomb. But when the situation dictates that we need to go fast in a straight line at the drag strip, we are relatively disadvantaged.

HH insisting that only the latter is meaningful is his attempt to deligitimize program wins and make himself feel superior per his definition of “real” football. Fortunately for us, the NCAA doesn’t see it that way and ignores weird rival fodder on the Internet

Reactions: ATACFD
i dont care who the qb is, nobody can pass well with snow so thick you can barely see and howling wins-the power running team wins in that scenario-we were at buffalo wild wings and I took one look at the pregame weather and said -well were done

Just a touch?

You are somewhat clever at times but really a football caveman. Who the hell anymore builds an offense to stand up in the "weather". I think you watched too many frozen tundra games in the 1960's.

Face some facts, 75% of the NFL play in either warm weather cities or domes. I watch the Cowboys , and can't not even recall the last time they played a game where weather was a factor. Looking at Jacksonville's schedule, if Minshew starts the whole season he will not play a game the entire season where weather should be a factor.

The Big 10 even plays their championship in a Dome.

Seriously Scott? That joke was “inappropriate content”?

Whoosh

Why are you here?

You're like a slower version of Cognitive Dissonance.

Again, a typical Husky fan obsessed with Washington's most-hated rival 5 hours to the east.

Would rather talk about the rare WSU loss under CML than a rare UW win over a quality non-conference opponent.

Why are you here?

Again, a typical Husky fan obsessed with Washington's most-hated rival 5 hours to the east.

Would rather talk about the rare WSU loss under CML than a rare UW win over a quality non-conference opponent.
You obviously didn’t see the “inappropriate content”. I’ve enjoyed banter with Cougars on this site for about 20 years. I wrote the opponent’s column that appeared here before the 2003 Apple Cup. And you’ll never be most hated.

Other than that, you nailed it.

Why are you here?

I don't have a problem with HH paying a visit from time to time. He's got a good sense of humor and never displays the childish venom that other Husky fans dump on this site. Certainly, he's nothing like Cognitive Dissonance. I don't always agree with him...actually not all that often....but I appreciate that he tries to make his point without being offensive & juvenile, and can often be funny.

But that's just me. To each his own.

Glad Cougar

I don't have a problem with HH paying a visit from time to time. He's got a good sense of humor and rarely displays the childish venom that other Husky fans dump on this site. Certainly, he's nothing like Cognitive Dissonance.

I'll defer to Glad — so I stand corrected here.

Apologies to HHusky, but it's been a tough 72 hours.

And not sure how WSU isn't UW's most hated rival as you suggest.

Have you actually traveled the state of Washington?

I'll defer to Glad — so I stand corrected here.

Apologies to HHusky, but it's been a tough 72 hours.

And not sure how WSU isn't UW's most hated rival as you suggest.

Have you actually traveled the state of Washington?
Born in Sunnyside—long ago. Lived in Seattle for all but my first few weeks. I don’t find that most Huskies hate WSU. Many of us hate Oregon. The post deleted this morning was self-deprecating and inexplicably removed.

And I really do sympathize. I have a brother-in-law I’m trying to talk off the ledge. And I admit, I’m too old school to really want to see a pass happy offense succeed indefinitely.

Last edited:
Poor HHusky has two strikes against him: He's a Husky and a Lawyer. But other than that he seems OK and will occasionally exhibit a wry sense of humor. Sometimes even self-deprecating humor. I can appreciate that.

He usually knew when to let off. Thus, I don't understand his obsessive overkill on the sexism angle in the anti-Mowins broadcast thread. He was definitely barking up the wrong tree there. Mowins flaws as a broadcaster have nothing to do with her having XX chromosomes.

Poor HHusky has two strikes against him: He's a Husky and a Lawyer. But other than that he seems OK and will occasionally exhibit a wry sense of humor. Sometimes even self-deprecating humor. I can appreciate that.

He usually knew when to let off. Thus, I don't understand his obsessive overkill on the sexism angle in the anti-Mowins broadcast thread. He was definitely barking up the wrong tree there. Mowins flaws as a broadcaster have nothing to do with her having XX chromosomes.
I’ve married a strong woman and bred two more. I’ve seen a lot of criticism by men who think a strong woman is trying to be a man. Maybe I’m hypersensitive that way.

Reactions: CougEd
Why are you here?

I will say it again UW's is closest thing to the Texas A&M aggie fan base that i have ever seen and I have a large sample size.

Just a few parallels :

(1) Obsessed with their in-state rival to the point they lack big time quality wins outside of that game

(2) When they are on the big stage against a quality opponent in a bowl they wilt, Not only that when they make meaningless comebacks in garbage time in those games, the attitude like after the Rose Bowl "we did not lose , we just ran out of time ". A standard aggie motto.

(3) And the one aggie trait that I just noticed this week. They beat an unranked BYU team and they are suddenly on message boards , twitter etc. they are talking about making the play-offs

(4) the two programs really should play each other then trade off after each game with the winner thinking they are National Champ material and the loser saying welp we were really the best , but time just ran out on us. They really are match made in college football heaven.

I will say it again UW's is closest thing to the Texas A&M aggie fan base that i have ever seen and I have a large sample size.

Just a few parallels :

(1) Obsessed with their in-state rival to the point they lack big time quality wins outside of that game

(2) When they are on the big stage against a quality opponent in a bowl they wilt, Not only that when they make meaningless comebacks in garbage time in those games, the attitude like after the Rose Bowl "we did not lose , we just ran out of time ". A standard aggie motto.

(3) And the one aggie trait that I just noticed this week. They beat an unranked BYU team and they are suddenly on message boards , twitter etc. they are talking about making the play-offs

(4) the two programs really should play each other then trade off after each game with the winner thinking they are National Champ material and the loser saying welp we were really the best , but time just ran out on us. They really are match made in college football heaven.
My memory goes back a little further than a decade. The UW has a pretty good record on big stages over the past 60 years. Contrast: Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT