ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly has Leach done to deserve all your support?

Ummmmm, yeah. What I find hilarious is the "level 1 thinker" comment though. The way that the real world of college football works, level 1 (winning) is the only level that matters in the big picture. You can talk all you want about recruiting, culture, schemes, body types, technique and all that until you are blue in the face but at the end of the day, if the sum of those things don't add up to wins and bowl games on a consistent basis.....you're going to get fired. Not every school uses the same metric. At Nebraska, 9-4 gets you fired.....at WSU, it gets you a statue. but at the same time, you have to win football games to some degree. A bowl game in 2015 (preferably one with a W assigned to it) will shut up the fans that are growing unhappy for a year. A close call makes Mike Leach a glorified Paul Wulff. If you ain't winning today, you ain't winning at all. Call that level 1 thinking if you want, but when you want people to pony up the kind of money that's required to go to football games, results are mandatory or the support wanes. I'm done with platitudes and moral victories. I'm done with juice boxes and participation medals. Anyone who thinks that Leach deserves a free pass if our team stinks this year isn't paying attention to how the real world works. Most of the people supporting Leach right now will be calling for his head in December if we aren't scheduled to be in a bowl game. It's the way that the world works.
Wtf are you talking about? No one is giving Leach a free pass. I live in PDX and have had season tix during the entire Leach era. I donate four figs to the CAF. Don't tell me you're sick of juice boxes and participation medals. If you're done that means you turn off your 32 inch Sharp you bought at Wal Mart Kansas. The rest of us have real skin in the game.

Wtf are you talking about? No one is giving Leach a free pass. I live in PDX and have had season tix during the entire Leach era. I donate four figs to the CAF. Don't tell me you're sick of juice boxes and participation medals. If you're done that means you turn off your 32 inch Sharp you bought at Wal Mart Kansas. The rest of us have real skin in the game.
What, now there's something wrong with Sharp TV's?

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Stopping your complaining vs. him changing a username?

You're selling low.
Notice Sponge didn't answer? So basically, he doesn't like the Air Raid (he's been open about this), so he'll always be unhappy about the WAY the game is played. I'd wager even if we were a 7 or 8 win program, he'll find a reason the Air Raid didn't get that 9th.

I'll place this into my "context" folder in my head… whenever I read Sponge and we have CML, I know it doesn't really matter. He won't like it, regardless.

Notice Sponge didn't answer? So basically, he doesn't like the Air Raid (he's been open about this), so he'll always be unhappy about the WAY the game is played. I'd wager even if we were a 7 or 8 win program, he'll find a reason the Air Raid didn't get that 9th.

I'll place this into my "context" folder in my head… whenever I read Sponge and we have CML, I know it doesn't really matter. He won't like it, regardless.
I don't hold that against anyone on these boards. Most people throw out six or seven points, and whoever responds picks the point they can most easily destroy, like Ed not knowing that 3 of 4 is 75%, and ignore the rest of what was said.

I mean, people could just avoid saying dumb things, but some people have a compulsion, I guess.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

What didn't I answer? If I missed a question posted to me, I'm happy to answer it.

I like versions of the Air Raid. I don't like the way Leach runs it because I don't think you can win throwing the ball as much as he likes to...in today's game.

I simply think we need to run the ball 10-12 or even 15 times more per game. Just a few tweaks.
Price is known offensively for qb's, but in his good yrs(at least in the 90's), he always had a 1,000 yd back except for Maybe 2nd and Madu in 94.

And I don't think we will ever go 7 or 8 wins unless we run the ball more, so therein lies the rub. If we do, I'll take it.

And most outside this board think we need to run the ball more so the people on here who think our run-pass ratio is OK is in the minority.

Last edited:
What didn't I answer? If I missed a question posted to me, I'm happy to answer it.

I like versions of the Air Raid. I don't like the way Leach runs it because I don't think you can win throwing the ball as much as he likes to...in today's game.

I simply think we need to run the ball 10-12 or even 15 times more per game. Just a few tweaks.
Price is known offensively for qb's, but in his good yrs(at least in the 90's), he always had a 1,000 yd back except for Maybe 2nd and Madu in 94.

And I don't think we will ever go 7 or 8 wins unless we run the ball more, so therein lies the rub. If we do, I'll take it.

And most outside this board think we need to run the ball more so the people on here who think our run-pass ratio is OK is in the minority.
He asked if you'd be quiet if 2015 was a winning season. You didn't answer. I thought it a clever omission.

I don't know that anyone has really argued the running ratio needing to go up a bit. I guess I'd need to look into that… If I really wanted to. It seems to me, it's the underlying stuff that everyone gets hung up on. Is it the O-line, is it the QB calling, is it the RB's being small or young, or, or, or. Some look at those as reasons, others look at those as excuses. I know where you stand, hence I have "context".

I'll bite. First, anyone associated with winning had left the program. Doba had a team in 2003 that knew how to win. But they certainly did not in 1999 and 2000. It was learned with time and experience.

Second, what bad habits?

PEDs. Horrible strength and conditioning program. Whining. Lack of accountability. Poor work ethic. I'm sure others can add more.

So the disgruntled parents early in the Wulff era weren't called by their kids? Must have read their kids dissatisfaction via cougzone. If you were to ask the general fan who is M Wilson and what did he do, they would have no clue. If you asked the opponents of that showcase game what happened before that game they would be clueless. Wilson was immature. Got booted for it. You act like it is the Craig James deal. It has long been forgotten. No harm other than money lost in the investigation ever game of it.

Does that mean we won't be seeing anymore posts from you about it? Or posts about spraying kids with fire hoses in sub-freezing temperatures?

Of course, Leach's call to take a chip shot FG was for the win, Wulff's was for the tie.

In the Cal situation, you kick the FG 100 times out of 100. In the Utah game, it's debatable.

And I didn't rail on Wulff for that call at the time either. It didn't work out, but then again, it was Wulff, so it probably wouldn't have worked out either way.

Please read what I typed........and think about it........and then post about it.

I said that I wouldn't hold the bad record in 2012 against Leach because most coaches would have struggled in that situation. I said that the goodwill generated in 2013 was nullified by the loss in the New Mexico Bowl. The 3-9 disaster last year with bonehead mistakes costing at least two wins falls right on his shoulders. In the past 40 years, WSU has finished with a winning percentage at 25% or below a total of six times. Five of those are with Wulff or Leach as coach. It is NOT acceptable for us to have the type of season that happened last year. From 1980 to 2007, WSU finished with "bowl eligible" teams a total of 12 times in 28 years or just under half of the available opportunities. Nobody is saying that we should be bowl eligible every year but history suggests that Mike Leach is failing to live up to the legacy established by the coaches prior to Wulff if he can't get us to bowl eligibility by 2016. He will be matching that legacy (and perhaps exceeding it) if he can get us there this year.

I know that many of my comments are early and we all collectively hope that they mean nothing, but this thread was started by someone asking why people are so loyal to Leach. There are those that are willing to say that Leach hasn't done good enough and needs to do better. There are those that believe that 6-7 is meaningful improvement and reason for patience. All I can say is that coaches get fired all the time with winning records (including Leach at Tech) and Leach should thank his lucky stars that he has an AD and a fanbase that is willing to give him five years to surpass 0.500 in a season. Remember that Paul Wulff was not afforded that privilege even though his teams improved their winning percentage every year. Also remember that the bowl team was filled with guys recruited by Wulff. If Leach can't get a team with his own guys into a bowl game.....that's damning stuff. Again, let's hope that the reality is that we get to plan a trip to Vegas at Christmas to watch football.

You're wrong about Wulff's winning percentage improving every year. Again, Wulff proved he was not a coach that deserved patience. His recruiting was going down the drain. He was offering guys that ended up going to Idaho and New Mexico, and couldn't even pull Joe Dahl away from Montana.

Well simple...you have a coach from Eastern that walks into a program that went from 10 wins and cut them in half, which was clearly falling behind on recruiting. He walked into a situation where the bowl games where no longer in the rear view mirror. He had Williams drafted, he had Fullington make the 53 man roster, and Jake Rodgers was just drafted in the 7th round. \

Let's look at what Doba did on the heels of two ten win seaon's...how many Olineman were drafted ? Its ok, you can say it. How many of his olineman actually made a roster?

Keep moving the goal posts around. None of those linemen were All Pac 10. And I thought you were comparing Wulff's OL recruiting to Doba's defensive recruiting?

FWIW, I'd take Kenny Alfred over any lineman Wulff brought in during his tenure.

Ummmmm, yeah. What I find hilarious is the "level 1 thinker" comment though. The way that the real world of college football works, level 1 (winning) is the only level that matters in the big picture. You can talk all you want about recruiting, culture, schemes, body types, technique and all that until you are blue in the face but at the end of the day, if the sum of those things don't add up to wins and bowl games on a consistent basis.....you're going to get fired. Not every school uses the same metric. At Nebraska, 9-4 gets you fired.....at WSU, it gets you a statue. but at the same time, you have to win football games to some degree. A bowl game in 2015 (preferably one with a W assigned to it) will shut up the fans that are growing unhappy for a year. A close call makes Mike Leach a glorified Paul Wulff. If you ain't winning today, you ain't winning at all. Call that level 1 thinking if you want, but when you want people to pony up the kind of money that's required to go to football games, results are mandatory or the support wanes. I'm done with platitudes and moral victories. I'm done with juice boxes and participation medals. Anyone who thinks that Leach deserves a free pass if our team stinks this year isn't paying attention to how the real world works. Most of the people supporting Leach right now will be calling for his head in December if we aren't scheduled to be in a bowl game. It's the way that the world works.

But if the refs didn't conspire against us and the ball bounced our way a few more times, you'd be at least at level 2 thinker.

Couldn't resist.

Well, who is a better coach, Bob Knight or Coach K?

As much as it pains me to say since I am from Indiana, it is coach K because he was flexible and could adapt...and wasn't married to his ways.

The Air Raid is Mike Leach's baby. His former assistants who are head coaches aren't married to the philosophy and aren't afraid to tweak things...and they have.

If you look at Briles, Holgorson, and Dykes, about the only simliarity is that they run out of shotgun.

You have an offense that strikes fear in no one and was held scoreless in the Applecup at home until garbage time against a defense that gave up north of 50 to Eastern.

Passing the ball 60+ with a young QB is asking for turnovers, sacks, stalled drives, and loses

Not that I like defending UW, but labeling them as a "defense that gave up north of 50 to Eastern" is a little disingenuous. They were also the 4th best D in the conference, and 47th nationally.

Not that I like defending UW, but labeling them as a "defense that gave up north of 50 to Eastern" is a little disingenuous. They were also the 4th best D in the conference, and 47th nationally.
And since for some people, the be all and end all is where you got drafted, they had the best defense in the country by that measure.

He asked if you'd be quiet if 2015 was a winning season. You didn't answer. I thought it a clever omission.

I don't know that anyone has really argued the running ratio needing to go up a bit. I guess I'd need to look into that… If I really wanted to. It seems to me, it's the underlying stuff that everyone gets hung up on. Is it the O-line, is it the QB calling, is it the RB's being small or young, or, or, or. Some look at those as reasons, others look at those as excuses. I know where you stand, hence I have "context".

If we go 8-4 next yr and I'm still bitching, you and the others in my ear can drink on my tab at My Office.
I've mentioned that we should run more too, we just seem to differ on tactics-

I'd want us to run better on 3rd and 1.

You want us to run more on 2nd and 11.
Of course we have always wanted to run better on 3rd and 1...but even Price had a hard time in those situations.

And I would wager that we had more 2nd and longs due to getting sacked on 1st down than a loss on a running play.

We've had more nice runs than people here think. Not to be confused to be Barry Sanders or Oregon, but enough to keep them off balance a bit

And if Leach goes 9-3 will you put down the bottle and stop your incessant whining? GTFU
That's almost as funny as your we would have won 7 or 8 games if only we had gotten a few JC's...you know since JC'S always work out

Congrats Milf....did you have season tickets and the same level of support before hand?

And since for some people, the be all and end all is where you got drafted, they had the best defense in the country by that measure.
Who said it was the be all end all. Just means they evaluated players who had a ceiling high enough to get drafted.

Keep moving the goal posts around. None of those linemen were All Pac 10. And I thought you were comparing Wulff's OL recruiting to Doba's defensive recruiting?

FWIW, I'd take Kenny Alfred over any lineman Wulff brought in during his tenure.
I am sure you would take Alfred over any lineman in the Wulff years. He was a very good lineman. Plant the pole and tell me what you want to compare.

Nope, I'm not telling anyone anything. Have your opinion, it's wrong, but have it, no less.

Wasn't 2009 Hawaii 35, WSU 0 at 10 minutes of the second quarter? Yes, lets discuss the marked improvement.
WEll lets talk about the HAwaii game. What was the final score? It actually would have been a game if a lineman didn't "angle" down Chima. They had five turnovers, it was a crappy game. And the y played much better against USC. You can't see a difference?

No. I mean, Ed was borderline mad that I brought up 2008, without saying something nice about 2009.

We're all Cougars- I just assume the Leach complainers went to school when Walden coached and Wulff played, and the Wulff era really slaughtered their sacred cows.
I was borderline mad? How would ever know what is in my head. Mad is the last emotion I would have. You ever heard what happens when you assume? Never met Wulff. Met Doba, Price, the current staff. Met Walden. What was your point, who are the sacred cows?

I was borderline mad?
I just assumed that someone alienated by a lack of recognition for the almighty 1-11 Wulff put up in year two is probably mad under at least one of the accepted definitions.

That's almost as funny as your we would have won 7 or 8 games if only we had gotten a few JC's...you know since JC'S always work out

So Gauta and Sagote had nothing to do with wins over Utah, USC, and Arizona in 2013, and a tight game on the road v. Auburn, which played for the national title? Even your brother would likely admit they played a significant role in transforming 3-9 to 6-6. The dear departed Breske made some bad assumptions that he didn't need another infusion of JC talent. He got fired, and I bet he isn't laughing, and neither should you.
Cheers.

I just assumed that someone alienated by a lack of recognition for the almighty 1-11 Wulff put up in year two is probably mad under at least one of the accepted definitions.
Why do you use terms like great or almighty or any other adjective when you talk about wulff? I don't make such wild assertions about sub .400 mike leach. I respect your belief he will get it done. And if he doesn't and goes 4-8 this year, does it do any good to make such sarcastic statements. He could go 4-8 and there are aspects where I think he has done very well. And because he doesn't have the record it doesn't mean that he isn't a good coach. Similar to Breske. Do I have an a true opinion on him? Nope. HE could be a very good DB coach for example, just didn't have the right personnel. Tons of reasons for some of the lack of success in Pullman.

We were down 35-0, twenty minutes in. The game was over.

Good talk.
What was the final score? You turn the ball over that much of course you will be down 35-0. Did they give up? Did they rollover? How many did Hawaii score? 38?

Congrats Milf....did you have season tickets and the same level of support before hand?

"Milf"? You really shouldn't litter the board with your preferences. Your Wulffian whines are bad enough. But good luck with your anti-sarcasm campaign.

Last edited:
What was the final score? You turn the ball over that much of course you will be down 35-0. Did they give up? Did they rollover? How many did Hawaii score? 38?
Hawaii scored enough.

More than enough, actually.

What am I talking about? What are you talking about? We've got a five page thread filled up by people jacking their jaws without actually reading anything. You personally have responded to almost every one of my posts and called me an idiot when all I've been saying is that the time for blindly supporting Leach is over. It's time to start winning games. I said that if we don't get to a bowl game by the end of next year, all of the goodwill would be gone. You start blathering on about me not knowing anything and now you say that you aren't giving him a free pass? You're an idiot.

As for the 32" Sharp that I bought at Wal-mart. First, at least I don't live in Portland. You can have your moldy armpit of a town. I still remember driving by the Mercedes dealership and realized that the the hookers and dealers were hanging out a block away. Second, 32" TV from Walmart? Really? Is that all you've got? The 65" Samsung (not from Walmart) that I watch Coug games on is actually not too bad. Finally, I donate to the CAF every year but I don't donate four figures because I'm not an insecure dick whose self-image is based on college athletics. While you're busy pissing away that much money on football, I'm working on being a millionaire and making sure that my kids have money saved for a quality education. It's called perspective and you need to get some. It's DB's like you that ruin this board. Any fool who has "fing" in his name has already told the world what kind of person he is. An f'ing tool.

What am I talking about? What are you talking about? We've got a five page thread filled up by people jacking their jaws without actually reading anything. You personally have responded to almost every one of my posts and called me an idiot when all I've been saying is that the time for blindly supporting Leach is over. It's time to start winning games. I said that if we don't get to a bowl game by the end of next year, all of the goodwill would be gone. You start blathering on about me not knowing anything and now you say that you aren't giving him a free pass? You're an idiot.

As for the 32" Sharp that I bought at Wal-mart. First, at least I don't live in Portland. You can have your moldy armpit of a town. I still remember driving by the Mercedes dealership and realized that the the hookers and dealers were hanging out a block away. Second, 32" TV from Walmart? Really? Is that all you've got? The 65" Samsung (not from Walmart) that I watch Coug games on is actually not too bad. Finally, I donate to the CAF every year but I don't donate four figures because I'm not an insecure dick whose self-image is based on college athletics. While you're busy pissing away that much money on football, I'm working on being a millionaire and making sure that my kids have money saved for a quality education. It's called perspective and you need to get some. It's DB's like you that ruin this board. Any fool who has "fing" in his name has already told the world what kind of person he is. An f'ing tool.
To be fair Flat, every Cougar board in existence calls you an idiot.

Good to hear you are saving and investing for retirement and college. Too many American idiots live beyond their means.

Cougar football is a passion hobby, however, it doesn't define my existence or affect my mood. College football is about camaraderie and bringing people together.

I've always felt the "me and my internet friends who I never met all think yer an idiot" is a classic method to instill camaraderie and bring people together.

Reactions: spongebob11

Yes. That's how the score got to 35-0 with 10 minutes to go in the second quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT