ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm looking for at the Spring Game

Coug95man2

Hall Of Fame
Dec 7, 2011
Honestly, the offense is the last thing on my mind. CML knows offense, knows how to coordinate whatever talent level we have. Not concerned.

But what I'll be intrigued and interested in will be the D. Not really looking at any one position but overall. Looking at specifics to understand the overall. I reeeeaaaally want to see what/how Claeys works with these players. How he intents to leverage certain weak spots, etc.

What about you guys? Are you really that concerned about the O? I think the C&G game is going to be a fun one this year.

With the players that graduated, Hilinski's death and all of the coaching turnover, 2018 turned into a year where I have no expectations and just looking forward to seeing how things go. For me, there are three things that I'm curious to see:

1. I'd agree that I'm very interested in seeing how the defense looks. Can Claeys forge a dependable group with new faces on the DL in year one?
  2. Do any of the QB's look like they belong on the field this year?
  3. Does the OL look like a cohesive unit that isn't on skates?
On the offensive side, I think we'll be fine if the OL gives our new QB enough time to think. If the OL is getting pushed around, it's going to be a season that will likely feature losses caused by turnovers as our QB's scramble for their lives.

On the defensive side, I'm curious to see if the DL looks good. Unfortunately, given that we have questions on both the OL and DL, we really won't know where we stand until September, but I'm curious to see the first impressions.

Last edited:
With the players that graduated, Hilinski's death and all of the coaching turnover, 2018 turned into a year where I have no expectations and just looking forward to seeing how things go. For me, there are three things that I'm curious to see:

1. I'd agree that I'm very interested in seeing how the defense looks. Can Claeys forge a cohesive unit with new faces on the DL in year one?
On the offensive side, I think we'll be fine if the OL gives our new QB enough time to think. If the OL is getting pushed around, it's going to be a season that will likely feature losses caused by turnovers as our QB's scramble for their lives.

On the defensive side, I'm curious to see if the DL looks good. Unfortunately, given that we have questions on both the OL and DL, we really won't know where we stand until September, but I'm curious to see the first impressions.
In regards to the defensive side....it's interesting that Claeys thinks the backfield might be behind the rest of the defense. On paper, I thought the backfield would be the most experienced and deepest coming back with the line and linebackers being a step behind? As always...I'm interested in the second team players every where as a good indication of experienced depth. Hope 99 is on the field.

Reactions: earldacoug

1. I'd agree that I'm very interested in seeing how the defense looks. Can Claeys forge a cohesive unit with new faces on the DL in year one?

Excited to watch Rodrick Jackson-Fisher, the Army All-American speed merchant from Spokane East Valley.

RJF might be WSU’s most highly touted in-state signee since Drew Bledsoe back in the 1990’s.

In a pass-centric Air Raid seeking a deep threat, he’s got a chance to be the most productive freshman in the Pac-12.

Curious if CML gives RJF a long look Saturday or instead tries to keep him under wraps until the season kicks off in a few months.

Hard to gain any firm conclusions from the O-line or D-line this early as both are still in a state of flux.
Winston and Jackson-Fisher might be nice to watch.
Not too worried about the QB situation. It is still early but perhaps Gordon or Tinsley will eclipse the other. Leach knows what he is doing here. Remember that he was the only D-1 coach to offer Baker Mayfield if my memory is correct and now here the kid is a top ten possibility in the NFL draft. We may not have the next Ryan Leaf behind center next Fall but we will be adequate or better.

Honestly, the offense is the last thing on my mind. CML knows offense, knows how to coordinate whatever talent level we have. Not concerned.

But what I'll be intrigued and interested in will be the D. Not really looking at any one position but overall. Looking at specifics to understand the overall. I reeeeaaaally want to see what/how Claeys works with these players. How he intents to leverage certain weak spots, etc.

What about you guys? Are you really that concerned about the O? I think the C&G game is going to be a fun one this year.

Look test. Some guys transform physically. I want to see Hobbs in person. I want to see if Tay Martin, Harper and Jalen Thompson have filled out.

And of course, the QB position.

We may not have the next Ryan Leaf behind center next Fall but we will be adequate or better.

Well said, Kayak.

People may or may not like CML's stances on the most recent U.S. Presidential Election, but football fans on any side of the political spectrum would agree that he can darn sure find and develop a quarterback to fit the air raid.

Looking forward to seeing what Tinsley/Gordon/Minshew/Cooper do when the money's on the table next fall.

QB is going to be fine. It's what Leach does, and he does it well. Lobster is probably the worst air raid qb we'll see at WSU.

I want to see something special at WR, for two reasons.

First, it's our identity - we're an offensive minded Air Raid, let's look like it. We need the WRs to run good routes and go fight for the ball to help out our new qb.

Second, our best chance to win isn't by shutting down the opposing team, it's by out scoring them. Our defense is going to be average to poor and we'll have to compensate with big O.

I don’t think Lobenstall ever played in the Air Raid for Leach. I am pretty sure his senior season was Wulff’s last year in Pullman.

If I remember correctly, the QB’s Leach’s first season at WSU were Tuel and Halliday.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
I don’t think Lobenstall ever played in the Air Raid for Leach. I am pretty sure his senior season was Wulff’s last year in Pullman.

If I remember correctly, the QB’s Leach’s first season at WSU were Tuel and Halliday.
Of course.

My age is getting the best of me - my brain said Halliday, my fingers type Lobster. I see Halidays face and everything.

Thanks for the catch.

Honest question: what am I missing? I'm not much of a stats guy (maybe that's my problem), but as I recall, the defense was the strength of our team last year.

So, now we go from Falk, who seems destined for the NFL, to a QB who has never seen live D1 action. What else? Losing 2/3s of our running backs, our most experienced receivers, and 3/5s of our OL.

I love Leach. Just don't see the magic fairy dust for the QB that some seem to think he will sprinkle, especially when he got so frustrated with a four-year starter at times last year.

The idea of a (read: one) down year doesn't bother me. I've been a Coug a long time. (These days, by down year, I mean at least 5-6 wins).

Maybe I'm putting too much stock in Claeys. I think he's an upgrade, and we had a pretty good defense, based on pre-season expectations last year.

And speaking of last year, it seems we all thought the same thing, that the offense would be no problem, but lots of concerns with the defense. As I recall, ALL of the angst on this board last year (even when we were 9-3!) was targeted at the offense).

My biggest hope for our offense is Claeys, and that he can convince Leach to make ADJUSTMENTS, once defenses figure out how to scheme what we do. Anyway, tell me where I'm wrong, but be patient. I'm just an arm chair fan.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Nobody said anything about magic fairy dust. Our QB situation is in 2013ish territory, (less live game experience but far more practice snaps for the most experienced pair competing) and that gave us over 30TDs along with 22 INTs. That receiver group was more experienced as well, but the program as a whole only had one full season of Leach ball under its belt. This team has more talent, and talent better-suited to the offense, than that team did. And the defense, as a unit, is likely to be better than the 2013 version. I think we'll score less than that team did but we'll also give up fewer points. Will we scrape into a bowl game again? Maybe, if the bounces go our way. And the P12 North as a whole is weaker now than it was then (Stanford's down, Oregon's downer, Oregon State is way way down from there and only UW and Cal are up). But even if there's no bowl this is a team to watch as it evolves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT