ADVERTISEMENT

WSOC: Coug's win 3-2 over UVA

watched the last 30 minutes. Me thinks the Pac, as good as it is and as strong as it's rep is in women's soccer, is underrated this season. The lady Cougs were were at worst just as skilled as Virginia and had more speed/athleticism on the field.

Reactions: Cougzz and SDCoug
About 90 seconds to go!

Big win for this team and for the program overall.

UVA has been a college soccer power for decades on the men’s side. Dates back to former USA Men’s National Team coach (and former multiple title winning LA Galaxy coach, currently with MLS NE Revolution), Bruce Arena.

I honestly don’t know the history of their women’s program, other than they were highly ranked this year.

WSU going back there and beating a highly ranked team on their home field says a ton about this team, and our program in general, coming on the heels of our recent successes.

I said early on in the season that this “could be” WSU’s best team ever. They had some ups and downs after that. But, funny, it still COULD end up as our best?

Win one game at a time, to paraphrase Mike Leach (and many others).

GO COUGS

Reactions: Cougzz
This is a team that UVa hammered, but so did Georgetown, and they got their revenge.

Big win for this team and for the program overall.

UVA has been a college soccer power for decades on the men’s side. Dates back to former USA Men’s National Team coach (and former multiple title winning LA Galaxy coach, currently with MLS NE Revolution), Bruce Arena.

I honestly don’t know the history of their women’s program, other than they were highly ranked this year.

WSU going back there and beating a highly ranked team on their home field says a ton about this team, and our program in general, coming on the heels of our recent successes.

I said early on in the season that this “could be” WSU’s best team ever. They had some ups and downs after that. But, funny, it still COULD end up as our best?

Win one game at a time, to paraphrase Mike Leach (and many others).

GO COUGS
The only ESPN I watch is through the app on various platforms and over the last 5/6 years I've watched a lot of the "non" revenue sports. Virginaia, Florida State, and UNC are always highly ranked out of the ACC. Virginia spent some time at #1 this year according to the telecast announcers.

What was the Lady Cougs' record against UW this season? I'm watching the replay of their game against USF and the Huskies look slow. They look like a basketball team full of rebounders and defenders that have no chance to score.

What was the Lady Cougs' record against UW this season? I'm watching the replay of their game against USF and the Huskies look slow. They look like a basketball team full of rebounders and defenders that have no chance to score.
They lost for the first time in 15 years. It has been a mercurial season. If we play the "back to the goal game" that predominates college soccer, we are down right ordinary. We are a race horse, tall and fast, and aren't in our element unless we are breaking down the wings.

Reactions: Cougzz
They lost for the first time in 15 years. It has been a mercurial season. If we play the "back to the goal game" that predominates college soccer, we are down right ordinary. We are a race horse, tall and fast, and aren't in our element unless we are breaking down the wings.
I know next to nothing about soccer outside of it's similarities to hockey/basketball, but watching the game today, the Cougs looked to be playing very aggressively and pushing the pace. I was impressed with the team speed across the board. They made it look pretty easy dispossessing the ball from a vary good team. It looked like a lot of the UVA players weren't ready for the closing speed of our players. Watching UVA/UNC/FSU in the past they almost always spend the vast majority of the game controlling the ball in the other team's half or better. Virginia couldn't do that today. They had short runs of pressure, but more often than not we turned them over before they got close to the "box" area. I'd be interested to see the stats of that game.

The UW loss was just one of those things. We basically controlled play for most of the match but their best player slipped past the defense and we fouled her in the penalty box. It was the right call but that was that. UW ends up with the easier draw with USF (#24) and go home earlier than the Coug's. I'll take the Sweet 16 over that win but we really should have won that match.

The UW loss was just one of those things. We basically controlled play for most of the match but their best player slipped past the defense and we fouled her in the penalty box. It was the right call but that was that. UW ends up with the easier draw with USF (#24) and go home earlier than the Coug's. I'll take the Sweet 16 over that win but we really should have won that match.
I watched USF beat the breaks off Florida at their house in the first round. They're good. They have legit players. They're just a much better team than UW from what I could tell. UW got players in position to score, but they just aren't skilled enough to finish when they get there. They look pretty toothless

watched the last 30 minutes. Me thinks the Pac, as good as it is and as strong as it's rep is in women's soccer, is underrated this season. The lady Cougs were were at worst just as skilled as Virginia and had more speed/athleticism on the field.

That first goal was amazing. Dribbling down the left side and took a shot as the ball was only a yard from the end line. How it squeezed between the goalie and the post is almost magical.

That first goal was amazing. Dribbling down the left side and took a shot as the ball was only a yard from the end line. How it squeezed between the goalie and the post is almost magical.
I think it was deflected

I thought I read last week that they shift to regional games. So think that they will still be playing at Virginia but not sure about that. Game is Sunday.
Yeah just saw that. Charlottesville it is for the mountaineers.

Could have called interference on the Cougs.

Here is my take. First, MFE was clearly onside after the initial shot. Second, as MFE was the only Coug in the area, she can't, by definition, be
"obstructing" the goalie, Third, as a result, only if the goalie has possession of the ball could it be goalie "interference." Otherwise, it is a 50/50 ball, the goalie has no special right to space to catch the ball. . I think the real questions are whether MFE's initial touch was a hand ball and whether it was a own goal.. Clearly there was never any possession, and the goalie cause the call to cross the line. I can't tell from the angle whether it was hand ball. The only protest was a one player brief, half hearted, offside claim. The goalie did not protest and no one claimed hand ball. The ref waited, when no immediate protest came. the flags stayed down, he then call the goal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT