ADVERTISEMENT

***WSU @ HALF-BREEDS - Special Edition APPLE CUP Game Thread***

Falk is horrible and Leach feels he deserves to finish out his career.I said he was basically not a good QB and people got angry. They wanted him and they got what they deserved

You can bet their defense wanted a shutout in the worst way. Not that it matters, mind you.
I'm a huge fan of just getting 3 on the board when you sense their defense thinks they're going to clamp down and get the shutout. 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter. End the thought of a shutout and you change everything.

Falk is horrible and Leach feels he deserves to finish out his career.I said he was basically not a good QB and people got angry. They wanted him and they got what they deserved
I don't think this is an accurate characterization of your position - or anyone's for that matter.

Come on. Not horrible. I would say "good"...except when playing top defenses. By defintion then, he is "good"...not "very good", "excellent", etc.

We've given up 300 rushing yards, including 200 to one player who also has 4 TDs by himself. By contrast, our best - Morrow - has 11 yards on 5 attempts; basically 2 YPC. -28 rushing yards overall, 4 turnovers, 5 sacks, 4 penalties, given up 41 points... complete and total humiliation.

Reactions: 79COUG

You just bitch about the starting QB.

Must be nice to be a receiver or a back in this offense and know that by the time you even TOUCH the ball, Luke has set you up for a receiver to be launching himself into your lumbar at the exact same moment.

I don't like the "Leach moves on" innuendo, but keeping Falk in after this horror show seems to fit nicely into the "hey, I went 9-4 / 10-3 with a bad team and I only lost my rivalry game because my QB couldn't hang onto the ball" narrative pretty well. I just can't think of another game Leach has coached where any QB has done this poorly and stayed in the game to keep up the bad work.

I said at the beginning of the season we had already seen the best of Falk. He is who he is. It wasn't like he was going to- after hundreds of plays under center in his first three seasons- figure out a way to be any better. He reached his peak last year...and that is not meant as an insult. He's a good college QB. He is totally exposed against very good defenses...and even some average ones.

I'm ready to move on from him. Really ready.

I don't like the "Leach moves on" innuendo, but keeping Falk in after this horror show seems to fit nicely into the "hey, I went 9-4 / 10-3 with a bad team and I only lost my rivalry game because my QB couldn't hang onto the ball" narrative pretty well. I just can't think of another game Leach has coached where any QB has done this poorly and stayed in the game to keep up the bad work.

Cal

yes gibbons you have been his strongest backer Step up and man up.he is not half the QB you made him up to be and wanted. He will graduate and we may see a competent QB again. Someone who will not throw a short pass and the Rb turn it into a 60 yard gain A few of those and he has a 300 yard game. Mn up gibbons

yes gibbons you have been his strongest backer Step up and man up.he is not half the QB you made him up to be and wanted. He will graduate and we may see a competent QB again. Someone who will not throw a short pass and the Rb turn it into a 60 yard gain A few of those and he has a 300 yard game. Mn up gibbons

Ok. He’s not the winningest QB in school history. He doesn’t hold conference records for passing yards or TDs. He doesn’t hold nearly every record in school history. And he certainly isn’t the only QB to lead the team to three straight bowl games.

Nice win for UW. They are a helluva team. I have no idea how Furd beat them and ASU did the same.

They are a top 15 team to be sure. Maybe even top 10.

Gaskin is terrific.

Nice win for UW. They are a helluva team. I have no idea how Furd beat them and ASU did the same.

They are a top 15 team to be sure. Maybe even top 10.

Gaskin is terrific.

UW is a very good team.
But they lost to ASU on the road who had an athletic running QB, to Stanford on the road with who uses a running game and were given fits by UTAH at home who had a running QB.
Some teams give certain teams fits based on their system.

UW is a very good team.
But they lost to ASU on the road who had an athletic running QB, to Stanford on the road with who uses a running game and were given fits by UTAH at home who had a running QB.
Some teams give certain teams fits based on their system.
We also go mental on them. It's ridiculous.

I said at the beginning of the season we had already seen the best of Falk. He is who he is. It wasn't like he was going to- after hundreds of plays under center in his first three seasons- figure out a way to be any better. He reached his peak last year...and that is not meant as an insult. He's a good college QB. He is totally exposed against very good defenses...and even some average ones.

I'm ready to move on from him. Really ready.

He has 3 choices every play.

1. Throw it
2. Run it
3. He runs it

It's the same choice every time. He has no idea how to call a game.

It's like watching a pitcher in a baseball game throw the fastball over and over and over and over.... how bout a curveball??? How bout a change up??? Nope. Just the fastball. Eventually the hitters are gonna tee off.

41-14

He has 3 choices every play.

1. Throw it
2. Run it
3. He runs it

It's the same choice every time. He has no idea how to call a game.

It's like watching a pitcher in a baseball game throw the fastball over and over and over and over.... how bout a curveball??? How bout a change up??? Nope. Just the fastball. Eventually the hitters are gonna tee off.

41-14
Yeah, he can’t read a defense a lick, and when you go against one like UW that is going to get home with 3 and have 8 athletic guys patrolling the back end it’s gonna be trouble. We needed to mix it up tonight, run the ball not take sacks...Falk just can’t get the team into a good play to save his life. Hilinski has the physical tools throwing it, will be interesting to see if he figures it out.

I felt Leach’s hands were tied a bit last night with regard to subbing for Hilinski. Our line was getting repeatedly bull rushed by 2-3 guys and once again, it was 24-0 before we knew what hit us. I guess he could have tried him for a couple of series, but I didn’t see that helping matters any.

Falk wears the goat horns again because he’s the QB and he played badly, but the offensive line was garbage too. How do you win in this system if you can’t block 3 guys?

I felt Leach’s hands were tied a bit last night with regard to subbing for Hilinski. Our line was getting repeatedly bull rushed by 2-3 guys and once again, it was 24-0 before we knew what hit us. I guess he could have tried him for a couple of series, but I didn’t see that helping matters any.

Falk wears the goat horns again because he’s the QB and he played badly, but the offensive line was garbage too. How do you win in this system if you can’t block 3 guys?

The 3 guys know the play every time. Literally every time. What if Ken Griffey Jr. knew it was a fastball every time? Teed off. 1000 home runs. That's the uw's big DT. He took the OLs milk $ and ate their lunches. WSU didn't think it might take some heat off to run zone, zone read, draw, screen, counter, I'd have loved to have seen the Continent trap block him... Make the DL do something other than pass rush. Make them read blocks. Make them hit the deck on a run play. Cut no block the guy 10 times in a row and still come off the ball like a track star. WSU offensive coaches do ZERO to help their OL. For Pete's sake they could've rolled out two more OL and gone double tight!!! Force two more defenders into the box and give your tall receivers something other then a double team for a fade route!!!

The 3 guys know the play every time. Literally every time. What if Ken Griffey Jr. knew it was a fastball every time? Teed off. 1000 home runs. That's the uw's big DT. He took the OLs milk $ and ate their lunches. WSU didn't think it might take some heat off to run zone, zone read, draw, screen, counter, I'd have loved to have seen the Continent trap block him... Make the DL do something other than pass rush. Make them read blocks. Make them hit the deck on a run play. Cut no block the guy 10 times in a row and still come off the ball like a track star. WSU offensive coaches do ZERO to help their OL. For Pete's sake they could've rolled out two more OL and gone double tight!!! Force two more defenders into the box and give your tall receivers something other then a double team for a fade route!!!
Yup zero creativity offensively and not game planning works against Oregon State and Nevada, but when you are going against a team with two 330 lb high draft picks and other talent all around, you can’t just rely on “execution” alone.

Yup zero creativity offensively and not game planning works against Oregon State and Nevada, but when you are going against a team with two 330 lb high draft picks and other talent all around, you can’t just rely on “execution” alone.

The first thing you do to a pass rushing DT hard charging up the field is run trap. You hit the kid so hard it looks like he stepped on a land mine.

Washington is obviously not better than Stanford (scoreboard) so how can your team look so intimidated in this game every year but can go toe to toe with other PAC12 heavyweights ?
Tackling is fundamental to most coaches that coach football. When your team can't tackle you can't win big games. Not shocked to see the outcome of this game. Had USC's offense been healthy they would have blown the doors off of Wazzu. If Gaskin tore a new one in Wazzu's defense imagine what the best Pac12 running back Ronald Jones II would have done to it.

Tackling is fundamental to most coaches that coach football. When your team can't tackle you can't win big games. Not shocked to see the outcome of this game. Had USC's offense been healthy they would have blown the doors off of Wazzu no tackling defense. If Gaskin tore a new one in Wazzu's defense imagine what the best Pac12 running back Ronald Jones II would have done to it.
Our defense wasn't healthy vs USC. They are loaded with 4 and 5 star recruits. We beat them fair and square. It was their problem that they had players injured, not ours.

Reactions: chipdouglas
Tackling is fundamental to most coaches that coach football. When your team can't tackle you can't win big games. Not shocked to see the outcome of this game. Had USC's offense been healthy they would have blown the doors off of Wazzu. If Gaskin tore a new one in Wazzu's defense imagine what the best Pac12 running back Ronald Jones II would have done to it.

That post make absolutely no sense. Ronald Jones played the entire game against WSU. Had carries in all 4 quarters and had 138 yds.

There is a mental thing going here and fortunately it may change with new players in the lineup next year.

If Washington was truly as good as they look against WSU every year they should not be getting smoked by SC at home last year or whipped by ASU on the road or having to pull out a last second win against Utah at home just last week.

Uh. He did. He broke a 90 yard run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT