ADVERTISEMENT

Year two of a five year rebuild....we have two coach killers etc...

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Our "strength", an experienced offensive line and a position that Leach invested heavy in got their backside handed to them. Ryan is a below average left tackle. He needs to move inside. I don't see the prospects for a better line in a year or two either. Leach's philosophy was to have his line spread out and get in the d's way. So at this point it is hard to tell what kind of coach their oline coach is.

Apparently they thought the best way to attack USU threw the air. DeLaura right now is at best a change of pace qb. Bring him in for a series or two. Does anyone envision him stringing 6 of 7 passes together? He is fortunate he wasn't picked four times. It is interesting, all the success Leach has had with qb's, Bruggman, Bender, Cruz, Cameron and now DeLaura all have mechanical problems.

JG - looking at the kid physically he is a top ten talent in the the NFL. The ball comes out of his hand so effortlessly. And the ball has NFL velocity on it. But he reminds me of Josh Swogger. He could throw the ball threw a brick wall, but throws were always behind the intended target. He is the perfect example of what a coach killer looks like. Every coach would get intoxicated with his arm talent and think they are the one who can turn him around.

The dline is below average. Not sure what happened to Brendan Jackson, but he had no burst off the ball. Does anyone see a Hercules M, Robert Barber, Eukale, Destiny, Cooper, Travis Long, Guata (SIC) and even Pole? Two things come to mind, what happened in Leach's later tenure not to attract the same players he got early on, and way more important has rolo come close to finding diamonds in the rough, a Gary Holmes type to build into something really good.

The DB play was horrible last night and a huge disappointment. That surprised me as Banker had tons of success at OSU.

Year 2 of what I thought was a four year rebuild. Not sure the way Rolo apparently pissed off his boss that he will see that through.

I would say it is important to remember Leach lost to PSU and was out-coached by a DC that was fired by Wulff in 2015. And to that point Leach was 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 and fired his DC. He lost to PSU, and had to score in the last few seconds of the game against Rutgers or he would have started the season 0-2. I think with Leach for me he had a track record that I knew he would get it turned around, with Rolo his decisions from media to game day has me wondering. And this is how many games into the Rolo era that we had a decent lead only to blow it.

Finally, Abe Lucas walking off the field said it all. He was flat out disgusted.

Our "strength", an experienced offensive line and a position that Leach invested heavy in got their backside handed to them. Ryan is a below average left tackle. He needs to move inside. I don't see the prospects for a better line in a year or two either. Leach's philosophy was to have his line spread out and get in the d's way. So at this point it is hard to tell what kind of coach their oline coach is.

Apparently they thought the best way to attack USU threw the air. DeLaura right now is at best a change of pace qb. Bring him in for a series or two. Does anyone envision him stringing 6 of 7 passes together? He is fortunate he wasn't picked four times. It is interesting, all the success Leach has had with qb's, Bruggman, Bender, Cruz, Cameron and now DeLaura all have mechanical problems.

JG - looking at the kid physically he is a top ten talent in the the NFL. The ball comes out of his hand so effortlessly. And the ball has NFL velocity on it. But he reminds me of Josh Swogger. He could throw the ball threw a brick wall, but throws were always behind the intended target. He is the perfect example of what a coach killer looks like. Every coach would get intoxicated with his arm talent and think they are the one who can turn him around.

The dline is below average. Not sure what happened to Brendan Jackson, but he had no burst off the ball. Does anyone see a Hercules M, Robert Barber, Eukale, Destiny, Cooper, Travis Long, Guata (SIC) and even Pole? Two things come to mind, what happened in Leach's later tenure not to attract the same players he got early on, and way more important has rolo come close to finding diamonds in the rough, a Gary Holmes type to build into something really good.

The DB play was horrible last night and a huge disappointment. That surprised me as Banker had tons of success at OSU.

Year 2 of what I thought was a four year rebuild. Not sure the way Rolo apparently pissed off his boss that he will see that through.

I would say it is important to remember Leach lost to PSU and was out-coached by a DC that was fired by Wulff in 2015. And to that point Leach was 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 and fired his DC. He lost to PSU, and had to score in the last few seconds of the game against Rutgers or he would have started the season 0-2. I think with Leach for me he had a track record that I knew he would get it turned around, with Rolo his decisions from media to game day has me wondering. And this is how many games into the Rolo era that we had a decent lead only to blow it.

Finally, Abe Lucas walking off the field said it all. He was flat out disgusted.
Paul Wulff did not fire either of his DC coordinators at WSU.

Reactions: Cougatron
Paul Wulff did not fire either of his DC coordinators at WSU.
I didn't say he did....but more than happy to clarify for you. He fired Mailk Roberson, who became PSU's DC. Leach lost to DC who was on Wulff's staff and was fired. Better?

I didn't say he did....but more than happy to clarify for you. He fired Mailk Roberson, who became PSU's DC. Leach lost to DC who was on Wulff's staff and was fired. Better?
yes, you did, but roberson was DL coach

yes, you did, but roberson was DL coach
Again … I will restate for you … he was out coached by a dc that was fired by wulff while he was a dline coach. Somehow that materially changes the point … he (leach) lost a game they had no business losing . And to make matters worse he was out coached by a former position coach at WSU

I'll settle the Ed thing: he didn't say Wulff fired Roberson as DC. He does himself no favors with the writing or his usual conduct on here, leading people to want to argue with him.

As for the chosen means to attack USU, anyone notice three of Borghi's first four carries in the two opening series went for losses? His first run popped decently, then USU had TFLs on the next three rushing attempts. Two were draws, which are questionable calls in terms of converting on 3rd and long, but super duper stud RB Max Borghi can't even get positive yardage when running in a situation where the defense expects a pass? Biggest problem on that front appears to be that our OL sucks.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I'm still extremely high on de Laura and absolutely disgusted with the way his tenure has begun at WSU. First things first, WTF is Rolo doing having him share reps with JG or CC? This is a kid who was recruited by Mike Leach, Ohio State, and USC, not to mention Rolo himself. He was a true freshman last year who practiced with the team for like 3 weeks before suiting up and beating Oregon State. He's had some self inflicted off field issues, but there isn't a QB on our roster currently who should get a single meaningful game rep as long as he's healthy.

If you want to hit the transfer portal again next season and try to upgrade, that's fine. If X emerges as a contender for the starting job, that's fine too, but for right now, this season, you quit effing around with the silly rotation and hand the keys to JDL exclusively. You structure the offense around Borghi, McIntyre, the read-option, and play action passes.

JDL has some mechanical problems, but so do a lot of good college QB's. The difference is that they have coaches and schemes designed to compliment and offset his skill set. With Borghi, McIntyre, and de Laura alone, we should have been able to move the ball up and down the field all game with straight runs, screens, and read-option keeps by JDL. It was wide open all day, especially in the 2nd half when we drove the ball down to their 2 yard line before subbing in dear in the headlights CC and a new "diamond" formation.

What a clown show.

Again … I will restate for you … he was out coached by a dc that was fired by wulff while he was a dline coach. Somehow that materially changes the point … he (leach) lost a game they had no business losing . And to make matters worse he was out coached by a former position coach at WSU
And the scion of Felony Flats, an assistant on the Detroit Lions 0-16 team and protégé of Paul Wulff, the fully vaxed Jimmy Lake was outcoached by the Montana OC who is a WSU flunk out.

Reactions: Cougatron
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT