ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another SDSU thread

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
So the Mountain West denied SDSU's extension request, meaning the exit fee goes from 16 million to 34 million on July 1. I have been surfing around, Canzano, Trojans wire included, and the consensus is the PAC if F-ing up bigtime. But I have some questions that I can't find answers to.

Whatever the media deal ends up being, it will be a shitload bigger than the Mountain West's. So this notion of getting it done being critical to offering SDSU perplexes me.

WTF is the problem with the media deal? It's been imminent for months, now PAC sources say there is no big hurry. WTF? Yeah when the Big-12 swoops in and grabs SDSU you'll wish it had been a hurry.

If SDSU waits until after June 30, does that add another year to their exit timing? I think not, but don't know.

I am so opposed to SMU, I think that would/will be a horrible mistake. But apparently the PAC has no interest in CSU, Fresno or UNLV. All way better geographical fits than SMU. So if SMU doesn't pan out, are these 3 Mtn West schools all subject to this giant post-June 30 exit fee? We need 12 schools. At least.

Bottom line PAC, get off your f-ing asses and at least offer SDSU before June 30. This shit is making Larry Scott look good.

So the Mountain West denied SDSU's extension request, meaning the exit fee goes from 16 million to 34 million on July 1. I have been surfing around, Canzano, Trojans wire included, and the consensus is the PAC if F-ing up bigtime. But I have some questions that I can't find answers to.

Whatever the media deal ends up being, it will be a shitload bigger than the Mountain West's. So this notion of getting it done being critical to offering SDSU perplexes me.

WTF is the problem with the media deal? It's been imminent for months, now PAC sources say there is no big hurry. WTF? Yeah when the Big-12 swoops in and grabs SDSU you'll wish it had been a hurry.

If SDSU waits until after June 30, does that add another year to their exit timing? I think not, but don't know.

I am so opposed to SMU, I think that would/will be a horrible mistake. But apparently the PAC has no interest in CSU, Fresno or UNLV. All way better geographical fits than SMU. So if SMU doesn't pan out, are these 3 Mtn West schools all subject to this giant post-June 30 exit fee? We need 12 schools. At least.

Bottom line PAC, get off your f-ing asses and at least offer SDSU before June 30. This shit is making Larry Scott look good.

There could be things going on behind the scenes that explains the silence on the issue? It's possible that there's a plan that requires announcements to be done at the right time?

Reactions: PeteTheChop
I don’t think that’s correct. If they don’t give notice by July 1, the fee goes up. But seems like the league said they were accepting their letter from last week as their notice…so the fee shouldn’t go up.

It’s a mess. I’m thinking I should just stop looking until there’s an announcement.

There could be things going on behind the scenes that explains the silence on the issue? It's possible that there's a plan that requires announcements to be done at the right time?
I too don't buy SDSU is leaving without some sort of assurance on the media deal and where they stand. SDSU is in. My guess is the media deal is pretty much done. We are just waiting on complexities to be ironed out. (Think selling or JV'ing the Pac-12 network).

I too don't buy SDSU is leaving without some sort of assurance on the media deal and where they stand. SDSU is in. My guess is the media deal is pretty much done. We are just waiting on complexities to be ironed out. (Think selling or JV'ing the Pac-12 network).

Yeah, it seems like there are a lot of people worrying about nothing at this point.

T-Town, when do you think the official announcement comes from the Pac-12 office?

Last edited:
I’m feeling kind of fed-up with the so-called Pas-12 leadership. How is this better than Larry Scott? Get this deal done and announce it, dam it! If the numbers aren’t there, tell us and move on. Fans have been held hostage long enough. Oh, and BTW I don’t watch football from back east, past Montana. I don’t care about the Big Ten and the yippee Big 12. I care even less about southern football, it’s 2-3000 miles away. I do care about WSU and the PAC-12 and watch most of their games on Sat., even if WSU is not on. It’s just too dam bad that college football in all its glory and tradition is being totally ruined. This whole thing totally blows!!!

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Assurance of what? that the $4 million per team Mtn west deal is better than what is now a $21 million per team Pac 12 deal? I mean C'mon. Whatever deal we cut in the renewal is going to dwarf whatever the Mtn West comes up with in 2 years. This delay in picking up SDSU is F-ing ridiculous, and blaming it on the undone new media deal is even more ridiculous. The Pac is so f-ing stupid. Includind Quackkoff, Chun and Sgt Shulz. The 3 godamn stooges. Not even one ball between the 3 of them.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Assurance of what? that the $4 million per team Mtn west deal is better than what is now a $21 million per team Pac 12 deal? I mean C'mon. Whatever deal we cut in the renewal is going to dwarf whatever the Mtn West comes up with in 2 years. This delay in picking up SDSU is F-ing ridiculous, and blaming it on the undone new media deal is even more ridiculous. The Pac is so f-ing stupid. Includind Quackkoff, Chun and Sgt Shulz. The 3 godamn stooges. Not even one ball between the 3 of them.

Good Lord man. Chill a little. If you pay attention to this board at all, you'd realize that EVERYONE here has a common goal which is the long term success of Coug football as their priority, yet FEW here can agree on what needs to transpire to turn the PAC 10 into a stable competitive PAC 12 or 14 for the long-term... Can you imagine the differing opinions among the head honchos of the remaining 10 schools have as they argue for what's best for their school, and how much like herding cats that's gotta be for Kliavkoff as he tries to put something on the table? And maybe he's not in the strongest bargaining position as he faces the folks he's negotiating with?

I'm as frustrated as everyone else here by the state of PAC-12 football, and have no clue if Kliavkoff is good at his job or not, but I've been around the block enough to know that this is a tuff gig. The LAST thing that Kliavkoff ought to be doing is catering to the whims of a fickle fan base that loves to bitch and moan w/o ponying up $$ support.

And here's a little unsolicited life tip for you... EVERYBODY that fails to agree with you, or fails to meet your expectations, does NOT necessarily qualify as an idiot or a stooge, or an imbecile, or an incompetent... (Even those of us from Idaho.) Conversely tho, when you reach that point in life when you find yourself accusing everyone around you as an idiot, and a stooge, and an imbecile, and an incompetent... then maybe, just maybe, you ought to look in the mirror and ask WTF? Your act is growing thin.

Thanks Mom. Am I wrong about the $4M Mtn West vs $21M current Pac-12 deal? And how that makes the hesitation about SDSU ridiculous?
Good Lord man. Chill a little. If you pay attention to this board at all, you'd realize that EVERYONE here has a common goal which is the long term success of Coug football as their priority, yet FEW here can agree on what needs to transpire to turn the PAC 10 into a stable competitive PAC 12 or 14 for the long-term... Can you imagine the differing opinions among the head honchos of the remaining 10 schools have as they argue for what's best for their school, and how much like herding cats that's gotta be for Kliavkoff as he tries to put something on the table? And maybe he's not in the strongest bargaining position as he faces the folks he's negotiating with?

I'm as frustrated as everyone else here by the state of PAC-12 football, and have no clue if Kliavkoff is good at his job or not, but I've been around the block enough to know that this is a tuff gig. The LAST thing that Kliavkoff ought to be doing is catering to the whims of a fickle fan base that loves to bitch and moan w/o ponying up $$ support.

And here's a little unsolicited life tip for you... EVERYBODY that fails to agree with you, or fails to meet your expectations, does NOT necessarily qualify as an idiot or a stooge, or an imbecile, or an incompetent... (Even those of us from Idaho.) Conversely tho, when you reach that point in life when you find yourself accusing everyone around you as an idiot, and a stooge, and an imbecile, and an incompetent... then maybe, just maybe, you ought to look in the mirror and ask WTF? Your act is growing thin.
Thanks Mom. Am I wrong about the $4M Mtn West vs $21M current Pac-12 deal? And how that makes the hesitation about SDSU ridiculous?

Just for consideration, here’s a theory for why the offer hasn’t been made.

If the per team valuation for the media deal is still in flux, it’s tough to establish what any new team’s share is going to be. Odds are that anything is an increase for SDSU, so they’re in. But how much are they worth, and how much should the conference give them?

If the number is $21M (that’s the value under the old contract, so if that’s what we’re talking about there’s a bigger problem), then inviting SDSU at a 1/2 or 3/4 share seems reasonable. If the number is $50M, then a 1/2 share is probably the high end. Basically, you need to know how big the pie is before you start making slices. And, from what we’ve heard, we don’t even know what kind of pie it is…nevermind how big.

Personally, I like a funding model that has market targets for SDSU. They’re in a large market, a county of ~3M and they barely draw 200K. That needs to be a lot better.

I understand the hesitation for SMU but although they are competing against bigger brands in UT, TAMU, TTU, Houston(?), Baylor..... I'd think they would own the Dallas/Ft Worth market because they are local and they do have football history and heritage there (albeit tainted but we live in a time where paying players is acceptable). I think making SMU a P5 school would significantly increase interest in the program as well. Lets not forget they have some alumni with very deep pockets too.

I understand the hesitation for SMU but although they are competing against bigger brands in UT, TAMU, TTU, Houston(?), Baylor..... I'd think they would own the Dallas/Ft Worth market because they are local and they do have football history and heritage there (albeit tainted but we live in a time where paying players is acceptable). I think making SMU a P5 school would significantly increase interest in the program as well. Lets not forget they have some alumni with very deep pockets too.
Their history is ancient history. Boomers remember it, but they’re dying, and what they did pre-death penalty is meaningless to the bulk of todays fans. They’d probably get some sort of bump, but I think the increase in interest in them is being wildly overestimated.

Their history is ancient history. Boomers remember it, but they’re dying, and what they did pre-death penalty is meaningless to the bulk of todays fans. They’d probably get some sort of bump, but I think the increase in interest in them is being wildly overestimated.
Plus look at the map. Travel would be OK for Colorado and the Arizona schools, but it would suck for the Cali, Oregon and Washington schools. Remember we are talking about all sports, not just fooball.

I doubt SMU was doing business any differently than many programs in the old SWAC days other than maybe the involvement of the Governor at the time? Was there something else going on? Yeah, ancient history and paying athletes is now legal anyway.

Baylor would always give me a lot of pause. Too many scandals all over the map at that place.

They’ll always have Craig James.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT