ADVERTISEMENT

Do you see Jeff Tuel taking on a linebacker here?

Maybe, maybe not. You still like to have your best option at QB. I think he would have helped against SDSU and UCLA. But the greater point is you can't roast a coach for making a decision to play the qb when other play their star players when they are and were sick. Coaches don't look at an opponent and say they suck, we are up by 14, lets not play our best players.

Piss and moan about the record all you want, but don't point to a normal decision that coaches make all the time, see Gronk and his broken arm, and piss and moan about that decision.

Yea, I bag on Wulff for plenty of stuff, but the Tuel injury isn't really one of them. Yea, would have been nice to just let Tuel rest and allow Lobster to get the easy W, but how could you ever know your guy is going to break a collar bone? And you need to get your starters some work too.

Just one more thing in a long line of things that didn't go well for Wulff at WSU.

Reactions: spongebob11
It looked to me like his path out of bounds- once he chose to turn upfield- would have led him DIRECTLY into the path of the bigger hit, so he avoided that, and got caught up in traffic. Interesting that the reel leads with how good Lobbestael looked up to that point. Probably should have just kept him in.
Yea, I bag on Wulff for plenty of stuff, but the Tuel injury isn't really one of them. Yea, would have been nice to just let Tuel rest and allow Lobster to get the easy W, but how could you ever know your guy is going to break a collar bone? And you need to get your starters some work too.

Just one more thing in a long line of things that didn't go well for Wulff at WSU.
I have said this many times, Wulff should have been fired because of the cloud clearly over his head. Aside from mistakes that were made, Cory MacKay neck injury. Non football related. Leandre McDaniel being put in a halo and ending his career. Pellum gets booted, Frietag and Ayers have career ending injuries. Dan Rowlands quit after going to fall practice and before the first game. Roxas has weird blood disorder that put him on the shelf for the year. Air Justin gets booted for PED's and he is a buck 60. Pencer gets booted for academic fraud. Roof gets booted for drinking. Ivory gets booted because of legal problems. He seemed to have at least stopped the revolving door at LT with David Gonzales and he breaks a leg. It was unreal.

If he looked in warmups like he did on that play, or couldn't warm up because of the flu, then you sit him, and let starters "get reps" in the game that they won by 50 the next week, because that looked awful... Even with all the adrenaline.

When you work up a list of descriptive adjectives for Jeff Tuel, "durable" is not one near the top of the list, so it's a "high risk/low reward" scenario- especially with the backup rolling.

I have said this many times, Wulff should have been fired because of the cloud clearly over his head. Aside from mistakes that were made, Cory MacKay neck injury. Non football related. Leandre McDaniel being put in a halo and ending his career. Pellum gets booted, Frietag and Ayers have career ending injuries. Dan Rowlands quit after going to fall practice and before the first game. Roxas has weird blood disorder that put him on the shelf for the year. Air Justin gets booted for PED's and he is a buck 60. Pencer gets booted for academic fraud. Roof gets booted for drinking. Ivory gets booted because of legal problems. He seemed to have at least stopped the revolving door at LT with David Gonzales and he breaks a leg. It was unreal.
Didn't both Tuel and Monty have compartment syndrome?

No, that's actually exactly what it means. He took an unnecessary hit. He didn't "take ON" anything at all. It's OK, I know the only path to Wulff defense is pretending things aren't what they really are.

No, that's actually exactly what it means. He took an unnecessary hit. He didn't "take ON" anything at all. It's OK, I know the only path to Wulff defense is pretending things aren't what they really are.
He took an unnecessary hit. He should have been out of bounds at the 12.

He took an unnecessary hit. He should have been out of bounds at the 12.
Must not have been coached into him. Wulff must have been a "turn it upfield" guy- would explain the unprecedented number of QB injuries during his tenure.

Gronk was healthy. Tuel was not. No examples, only Wulff. You're just lying, now.
It has zip to do with "HEALTHY. It has to do with risk. Riley Cooper played for Urban Meyer against Charleston S. Cooper was getting worse as the game went on. He puked on the field. Yet Meyers kept him out there even when it was 14-0. Both "played sick". WSU chose to give Tuel fluids via an IV. Cooper caught 8 passes, and one TD after he puked.

Quit pretending like football players are 100%. They aren't. Mike Scott threw a TD against USC jest after puking.

Must not have been coached into him. Wulff must have been a "turn it upfield" guy- would explain the unprecedented number of QB injuries during his tenure.
Yep, sure that is exactly what was coached. And Leach teaches stay in the pocket while your center is being bull rushed and snap a leg.

It has zip to do with "HEALTHY. It has to do with risk. Riley Cooper played for Urban Meyer against Charleston S. Cooper was getting worse as the game went on. He puked on the field. Yet Meyers kept him out there even when it was 14-0. Both "played sick". WSU chose to give Tuel fluids via an IV. Cooper caught 8 passes, and one TD after he puked.

Quit pretending like football players are 100%. They aren't. Mike Scott threw a TD against USC jest after puking.
Oh, WSU CHOSE to give him the IV. Tuel was healthy as a horse, but the staff thought the IV would be fun!

Your examples of how you'd can't find anyone else who did what Wulff did (tips: healthy player- NOT the same. Cleared to start- NOT the same) and the video backing up how much worse he looked than regular Jeff Tuel are all the proof I need on what a singularly stupid decision to insert a worse player.

If I thought less of Paul Wulff, I'd suggest he wasn't devastated about the injury he helped cause because excuses came easier for him than wins, and that gave him another one.

Also, MIKE Scott- played for Tony Bennett at UVa.

MATT Scott- former UA QB.

I know facts aren't your thing, but, hey, more stuff you got wrong.

Yep, sure that is exactly what was coached. And Leach teaches stay in the pocket while your center is being bull rushed and snap a leg.

That center a Wulff recruit and that QB a Wulff recruit, and so was the QB that didn't go out of bounds. All 3 have something in common. Paul Wulff.

I wonder if that's his whole recruiting pitch. If I recruit you you'll probably get hurt/help another player get hurt, and if you are lucky I'll take a dump in your house. I'm Paul "Doing it the Right Way" Wulff.

Gotta make your defense about the current coach. It's like oxygen to you. Probably stupid by Halliday, right?

If you had to honestly guess, which philosophy is closer to Paul Wulff's coaching:

"Take what you can get", or "Play to the whistle"?

Gotta make your defense about the current coach. It's like oxygen to you. Probably stupid by Halliday, right?
Nope not at all. It was stupid not to coach Sam Flor up better to protect Halliday.

I'm in tears laughing reading all this stuff about defending Wulff. He was so so bad.the more you defend him the more of a joke he becomes.

Nope not at all. It was stupid not to coach Sam Flor up better to protect Halliday.
So, when Leach does it, it should have been coached better. But when it happens to Wulff, well, the player should have better understood his coaching. Never mind that Flor's lapse was against one of the two or three most athletically gifted players in all of college football on the best overall collection of defensive talent, and an impaired Tuel's lapse was against Idaho STATE. One coach is at fault, the other is blameless. The blameless one is the one who always lost.

Compulsive.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
I'm in tears laughing reading all this stuff about defending Wulff. He was so so bad.the more you defend him the more of a joke he becomes.
The Flu doesn't exist! He took on a LB! No, not "took on" in the universally accepted definition of the words, but totally by a different, made up definition! He was cleared by the medical staff! If Wulff had held him out, he'd look so mean, and how can he recruit if people think he's mean!

Quicksand. The harder you struggle, the deeper you sink.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Not at all. Just making the same ridiculous argument you are making, that's all.

The Flu doesn't exist! He took on a LB! No, not "took on" in the universally accepted definition of the words, but totally by a different, made up definition! He was cleared by the medical staff! If Wulff had held him out, he'd look so mean, and how can he recruit if people think he's mean!

Quicksand. The harder you struggle, the deeper you sink.
He was cleared to play. It isn't that hard to understand. They have 10 trainers and the doctor on the field. He was evaluated and cleared. He should have stepped out of bounds, it really is that simple. Talk to a coach. Any coach, and see how "crazy" it is. .

Because Halliday was sick going into the USC game?

Not the same.
Nope, bum knee. It hurt. Had a fever and chose not to get out of the pocket. Again, players play sick all the time. Just type in puking on Google, it is your friend.

Which "defense" brought you to tears?
Your "when we've been saying "taking on", we actually meant the kind of taking on where you don't take anyone on" was pretty impressive.

None it is as good as the "Flu Truth" campaign you've waged though. You're the only people who know that the flu comes and goes within 10 minutes, like a stray rain shower, and you're denying doctors your wisdom.

He was cleared to play. It isn't that hard to understand. They have 10 trainers and the doctor on the field. He was evaluated and cleared. He should have stepped out of bounds, it really is that simple. Talk to a coach. Any coach, and see how "crazy" it is. .
The doctors cleared him.

The coaches should have seen how much worse than normal he looked (per video evidence, not your anecdotes), and sat him. That's on the coach.

Just type in puking on Google, it is your friend.
If it were, you'd have found an example to match Wulff's choice. Players play sick all the time- they also ALL start, apparently. Just not Tuel.

So far... still no, right?

The doctors cleared him.

The coaches should have seen how much worse than normal he looked (per video evidence, not your anecdotes), and sat him. That's on the coach.

Wufluii, you know I dislike Paul Wulff as much as anyone else, but you are really reaching for something to complain about here.

"He had the flu so he shouldn't have played. He played and broke his collar bone. Ergo, broken collar bone = Wulff mistake."

There is a mountain of terrible decisions and terrible practices Wulff had in his tenure. Playing Jeff Tuel in the ISU game ranks real, real low.

Reactions: spongebob11
Wufluii, you know I dislike Paul Wulff as much as anyone else, but you are really reaching for something to complain about here.

"He had the flu so he shouldn't have played. He played and broke his collar bone. Ergo, broken collar bone = Wulff mistake."

There is a mountain of terrible decisions and terrible practices Wulff had in his tenure. Playing Jeff Tuel in the ISU game ranks real, real low.
To be fair, it only ranks so low because of all the bad decisions. And let's consider this- after five wins in three years, if you've got a kid who's too sick to start the game, and you come out with huge momentum on the back of a different QB- why make the change?

Why not let Lobbestael at least have a hiccup before you put in your sick QB? He looked rough on that play, and since he only had three or four, I have to assume he was pretty rough. Not being able to start would lend to that idea, too. And I have to assume that it was his illness that kept him out, not our doctors being too occupied to clear him.

So after watching this it's settled then.

There was no need to play him
Tuel played slow
He didn't take on a LB
He got hurt
Paul Wulff still sucks

With the video available, I find it surprising that one or two here who apparently have watched did not notice that the contact made on Tuel occurred AFTER he went out of bounds.The safety flying across the field didn't touch him. It was Francis, the 6-3, 225-pound linebacker behind Tuel who jumped on his back as he was going down out of the field of play.

Last edited:
With the video available, I find it surprising that one or two here who apparently have watched did not notice that the contact made on Tuel occurred AFTER he went out of bounds.The safety flying across the field didn't tough him. It was Francis, the 6-3, 225-pound linebacker behind Tuel who jumped on his back as he was going down out of the field of play.
A coach would never tell a player to go a little extra at a competitor who wasn't 100%, either. Just impossible.

Your "when we've been saying "taking on", we actually meant the kind of taking on where you don't take anyone on" was pretty impressive.

None it is as good as the "Flu Truth" campaign you've waged though. You're the only people who know that the flu comes and goes within 10 minutes, like a stray rain shower, and you're denying doctors your wisdom.
With all due respect, I showed you numerous cases where peopel were sick with the flu and puking on the field and performed and their coaches didn't sit them. Clearly they didn't think it was that big a deal.

With the video available, I find it surprising that one or two here who apparently have watched did not notice that the contact made on Tuel occurred AFTER he went out of bounds.The safety flying across the field didn't tough him. It was Francis, the 6-3, 225-pound linebacker behind Tuel who jumped on his back as he was going down out of the field of play.
Yeah and if he goes out at the 12 like they are suppose to then none of that is in play, is it?

With all due respect, I showed you numerous cases where peopel were sick with the flu and puking on the field and performed and their coaches didn't sit them. Clearly they didn't think it was that big a deal.
With equally due respect, you showed me ONE scenario where a player who couldn't START wasn't sat by coaches, and that's probably, one of the ten most durable NFL players ever. That's NOT Jeff Tuel. So, you don't need to behave like Wulff made a choice that happens all the time- it's rare, but he made it, and it went bad.

Yeah and if he goes out at the 12 like they are suppose to then none of that is in play, is it?
It's also not in play if the coach just leaves the hot QB out there, rather than replacing him with a guy who was less than 100%.

Well, to kee the focus on the QB, Halliday has said he knew he was in trouble on that play because he saw the hit coming and didn't have his feet in the right position to avoid a potentially devastating injury.

So there is that.

The capper was really Wulff's comments about how much better the season would have gone with Tuel. Obviously the guy was trying to save her s job. But it was just so stupid. Besides the fact that Lobbestael and Halliday played pretty damn good during their time, it was like Wulff lacked the awareness to realize that there was no reason to put Tuel on the field, since (after the fact anyway) he was so precious to the season.

Well, when you've been defending a made up play with all your football knowledge for almost a month, (really "took on" that LB) what option do you have once everyone sees you made it up? Just shut up, tuck your tail, and hope you're not such a colossal idiot the next time you choose a hill to die on. Don't admit you're wrong, though- too mature.
Me and my brother call posting on here arguing with idiots. There are many that grace this board.

First off, the game wasn't on TV...and everyone, including you, thought he took on a linebacker. That has been the narrative since he got hurt.

Then all of a sudden, some video footage shows up, and all of a sudden the focus is that he didn't take on a linebacker.

What is lost in this is that now you idiots can't sit here and say that the flu impacted Jeff Tuel's decision making.

He looked fine on the play and it was a freak accident...that had nothing to do with the flu.

In fact, he got right up like nothing happened. If this is indeed the play that he broke his collar bone on.

But all you and others do all day every day is get together and hold hands and chant "Wulff sucks"..and you the funny thing is you named yourself after him when you joined in 2011!

Me and my brother call posting on here arguing with idiots. There are many that grace this board.

First off, the game wasn't on TV...and everyone, including you, thought he took on a linebacker. That has been the narrative since he got hurt.

Then all of a sudden, some video footage shows up, and all of a sudden the focus is that he didn't take on a linebacker.

What is lost in this is that now you idiots can't sit here and say that the flu impacted Jeff Tuel's decision making.

He looked fine on the play and it was a freak accident...that had nothing to do with the flu.

In fact, he got right up like nothing happened. If this is indeed the play that he broke his collar bone on.

But all you and others do all day every day is get together and hold hands and chant "Wulff sucks"..and you the funny thing is you named yourself after him when you joined in 2011!
YOU kept hammering that he took on a linebacker, you moron. Nobody else.

He looked slow and bad on that play, missed a receiver, then got hit late, in no small part because the shitbag coach you've spent a month defending pulled a QB who was rolling to play one who wasn't cleared ten minutes earlier.

You didn't have a goddamned clue about a single thing you've discussed, but because you have to defend Wulff at all costs, you'll make everything up.

You're a moron. And I was right, and you were wrong. And you're a moron.

YOU kept hammering that he took on a linebacker, you moron. Nobody else.

He looked slow and bad on that play, missed a receiver, then got hit late, in no small part because the shitbag coach you've spent a month defending pulled a QB who was rolling to play one who wasn't cleared ten minutes earlier.

You didn't have a goddamned clue about a single thing you've discussed, but because you have to defend Wulff at all costs, you'll make everything up.

You're a moron. And I was right, and you were wrong. And you're a moron.
You're an idiot Wulffui. Anyone who names himself after the worst coach in our history...and then bashes him all day every day is a F'ing idiot. But you already knew that.

And everyone said he took on a lb. That's been the narrative the whole time. If you knew he didn't take on a linebacker, why not say anything? Because you thought he took on a linebacker too.

You're an idiot Wulffui. Anyone who names himself after the worst coach in our history...and then bashes him all day every day is a F'ing idiot. But you already knew that.
I was right. You were wrong, mainly because you made stuff up. Lacking facts, you say dumb shit about people's usernames and football experience, that have nothing to do with the discussion. And you'll defend Wulff at any cost, to the point that you have to ignore centuries old medical science.

This has been an OVERWHELMINGLY consistent pattern in ALL (seriously, I can't say a word without you or your brother wanting to chat me up) the conversations you've tried, and ALWAYS FAILED to outwit me in, but it's woefully inept- downright Wulffian, one might say.

I won. You lost. Like Wulff would have.

Also, about a week ago I asked you to "produce the play" because I thought your "Stupid Tuel took on a LB!" narrative might be bullshit.

You didn't, and it was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT