ADVERTISEMENT

2 OL is kiss of death

BiggsCoug

Hall Of Fame
Feb 5, 2003
With 2 OL signed so far, they'd better pick up 3 more on signing day. We have all seen what happens when you don't commit to the OL at WSU. Either Rolo learns from predecessors mistakes or he will be in a tough spot down the road.

How you can take only 2 kids that play 5 positions on your offense is beyond me. It is simply bad planning and stupid. Show me a coach that takes 2 kids to play WR, QB and RB in a class. Imagine how that sales pitch goes to the media... "Hey coach, I saw you took a WR and a RB this year for the offensive skill positions... How is that gonna work out down the road??? What happens if one gets hurt and the other transfers in a year??? That leaves you with 0 kids to play QB, WR and RB in a recruiting class. Your thoughts please..."

Insert bullshit story to justify stupid decisions by coaching staff...

With 2 OL signed so far, they'd better pick up 3 more on signing day. We have all seen what happens when you don't commit to the OL at WSU. Either Rolo learns from predecessors mistakes or he will be in a tough spot down the road.

How you can take only 2 kids that play 5 positions on your offense is beyond me. It is simply bad planning and stupid. Show me a coach that takes 2 kids to play WR, QB and RB in a class. Imagine how that sales pitch goes to the media... "Hey coach, I saw you took a WR and a RB this year for the offensive skill positions... How is that gonna work out down the road??? What happens if one gets hurt and the other transfers in a year??? That leaves you with 0 kids to play QB, WR and RB in a recruiting class. Your thoughts please..."

Insert bullshit story to justify stupid decisions by coaching staff...
Or what happens if they missed on both. Get numbers in , run them out of town if they turn out not to be Pac12 players

The only justification for his OL class of 2, while I don't agree with it, is that he already has a bunch of kids redshirting next year due to the extra year of eligibility because of Covid.

Dieu and Hilborn join Ripley, McNorton, Tiavalea, Mayginnes, and Kylany as true freshman next year. The position already has depth so I don't see us needing more.

Next year needs to be a return to the 4-5 OL classes we are used to.

If you want to complain about the current class, focus on the fact we found 5 scholarships for WR but haven't brought in a single RB and we are getting dangerously thin in the secondary. Especially at Safety.

Reactions: kougkurt
The only justification for his OL class of 2, while I don't agree with it, is that he already has a bunch of kids redshirting next year due to the extra year of eligibility because of Covid.

Dieu and Hilborn join Ripley, McNorton, Tiavalea, Mayginnes, and Kylany as true freshman next year. The position already has depth so I don't see us needing more.

If you want to complain about the current class, focus on the fact we found 5 scholarships for WR but haven't brought in a single RB and we are getting dangerously thin in the secondary. Especially at Safety.

I am a believer in taking 22 kids, one for each position and then with the 3 spots left to make 25 fill gaps. It isn't going to be perfect. I understand kids come and go and depth goes up and down. But have a solid plan. You need to cover all your bases and robbing Peter to pay Paul with an unbalanced class will show up down the road.

The NCAA doesn't help much this year. Everyone gets another year but how does the money shake out? Are you telling kids they can have another year but there won't be a scholarship for them?

How every PAC 12 team isn't landing a big time RB every year is beyond me. There has to be at least 10 good backs per year on the West Coast. It shouldn't be a problem finding at least 1 big timer every other year and another good back in odd years to fill the roster.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I always felt that the 5-6 OL mantra that took hold early in Leach's day at Wazzu was too much but yeah, 2 OL is clearly not enough to be sustainable. In my book, 3 is the absolute minimum that you sign and if that happens, you do take 5 guys the following year. Leach did show that in order to really have an effective depth chart, you need to have 15-18 OL on your roster. That gives a full two deep plus 5-8 young guys growing into the role.

So, to some degree, as long as you can keep a semblance of balance of some sort between classes, I'd worry more about overall numbers than a year by year thing. One thing about Leach is that he ended up with a lot of really good OL players but we had plenty of clunkers too. Got to get enough guys where a departure or two doesn't kill you.

I always felt that the 5-6 OL mantra that took hold early in Leach's day at Wazzu was too much but yeah, 2 OL is clearly not enough to be sustainable. In my book, 3 is the absolute minimum that you sign and if that happens, you do take 5 guys the following year. Leach did show that in order to really have an effective depth chart, you need to have 15-18 OL on your roster. That gives a full two deep plus 5-8 young guys growing into the role.

So, to some degree, as long as you can keep a semblance of balance of some sort between classes, I'd worry more about overall numbers than a year by year thing. One thing about Leach is that he ended up with a lot of really good OL players but we had plenty of clunkers too. Got to get enough guys where a departure or two doesn't kill you.
I remember reading an article that the Cougar staff still believes in bringing in big numbers of lineman. However, they also believe in allocating so many scholarships to different positions on the team. They still had huge numbers of lineman on scholarship, so it wasn't a necessity to bring in 5-6 lineman this season. In other words, normally they have more attrition. They haven't, so the need wasn't there. Expect the 2022 class to be big.

I agree I think this is where there’s tons of depth, young talent, and COVID red shirts. Rolos a former QB I’m sure he understands the importance of a solid 2 deep on the OLine and I don’t think it’s being overlooked.

I am a believer in taking 22 kids, one for each position and then with the 3 spots left to make 25 fill gaps. It isn't going to be perfect. I understand kids come and go and depth goes up and down. But have a solid plan. You need to cover all your bases and robbing Peter to pay Paul with an unbalanced class will show up down the road.

The NCAA doesn't help much this year. Everyone gets another year but how does the money shake out? Are you telling kids they can have another year but there won't be a scholarship for them?

How every PAC 12 team isn't landing a big time RB every year is beyond me. There has to be at least 10 good backs per year on the West Coast. It shouldn't be a problem finding at least 1 big timer every other year and another good back in odd years to fill the roster.
You might give them a year's break because there area sufficient number currently on the roster. What Ed might try to convince others is that if you 12 scholarship o-linemen and you only get 2 the next current year....maybe there's no linemen out there. I'll give them a break and assume they have some transfers they're looking at and they really need to concentrate on defense this year.

You might give them a year's break because there area sufficient number currently on the roster. What Ed might try to convince others is that if you 12 scholarship o-linemen and you only get 2 the next current year....maybe there's no linemen out there. I'll give them a break and assume they have some transfers they're looking at and they really need to concentrate on defense this year.

Doesnt matter if there arent linemen out there. You have to get someone. You have to line up 5 of them every snap. You cant add another linebacker when you need OL. It doesn't help you. We watched Coach Turd do exactly this! Can’t get the OL you want? Just take another position.. kick the can down the road... maybe a walk on or JC player to be named later???

Roster management is a thing. It can be tricky, it isnt always easy. I dont care. He makes $3,000,000. Figure it out.

2 OL in a recruiting class could very well mean 2 years of 2 wins down the road. It is the 1 position for WSU they have to push numbers into and grow kids the most. With the way kids come and go now thru the portal.... if there were ever a year for a solid, balanced class across the board this was it.

Doesnt matter if there arent linemen out there. You have to get someone. You have to line up 5 of them every snap. You cant add another linebacker when you need OL. It doesn't help you. We watched Coach Turd do exactly this! Can’t get the OL you want? Just take another position.. kick the can down the road... maybe a walk on or JC player to be named later???

Roster management is a thing. It can be tricky, it isnt always easy. I dont care. He makes $3,000,000. Figure it out.

2 OL in a recruiting class could very well mean 2 years of 2 wins down the road. It is the 1 position for WSU they have to push numbers into and grow kids the most. With the way kids come and go now thru the portal.... if there were ever a year for a solid, balanced class across the board this was it.

FWIW, here is my take on our 2021 OL based on last year's roster from the official website (** means 2020 starter, * means 2020 backup):

Freshman
Dieu - OT
Hilborn - OG

Redshirt Freshman
McNorton - OT
Tialavea - OT
*Kylany - OG
Ripley - OT
Mayginnes - OG

Sophomore
Utschinski - OT
*Fifita -OG
McCarthy - OG
*Gomness - OT

Junior
**Kingston - OT
Martin - OG
*Mayginnes - OG
*Beresford - OT
Riley - OG
McDonald - OG

Senior
**Greene - C
Yost - OG
**Lucas - OT
Price - OT

Extra Year
**Ryan - OG

I get the concern about balancing out the classes, but the 2020 team only had two seniors left. You obviously can't miss if you only take two guys, but it's not the end of the world. I do believe that we need at least one more OL guy this year to have any level of comfort. When you look at the big picture, we have a lot of young bodies to work with for years to come. We still have 22 OL on the roster and will lose five this season. If we only get 2-3 this year, it would be nice to get five next year because we are losing another six bodies after the 2022 season.

When you look at the distribution, we are getting 2-3 guys per class in the two deep. Based on that, getting 4-5 guys means that you can have 2 guys end up being misses or lost to injury without hurting you too much. If you only get 2-3 guys....you have no room for error.

FWIW, here is my take on our 2021 OL based on last year's roster from the official website (** means 2020 starter, * means 2020 backup):

Very True Freshman
Dieu - OT
Hilborn - OG

True Freshman
McNorton - OT
Tialavea - OT
*Kylany - OG
Ripley - OT
Mayginnes - OG

RS FR
Utschinski - OT
*Fifita -OG
McCarthy - OG
*Gomness - OT

So.
**Kingston - OT
Martin - OG
*Mayginnes - OG
*Beresford - OT
Riley - OG
McDonald - OG

Jr.
**Greene - C
Yost - OG
**Lucas - OT
Price - OT

Sr.
**Ryan - OG

I get the concern about balancing out the classes, but the 2020 team only had two seniors left. You obviously can't miss if you only take two guys, but it's not the end of the world. I do believe that we need at least one more OL guy this year to have any level of comfort. When you look at the big picture, we have a lot of young bodies to work with for years to come. We still have 22 OL on the roster and will lose five this season. If we only get 2-3 this year, it would be nice to get five next year because we are losing another six bodies after the 2022 season.

When you look at the distribution, we are getting 2-3 guys per class in the two deep. Based on that, getting 4-5 guys means that you can have 2 guys end up being misses or lost to injury without hurting you too much. If you only get 2-3 guys....you have no room for error.

All well and good except you have to bump everyone's eligibility back a year.

I was under the impression that seniors wouldn't lose eligibility but everyone else advances. Undoubtedly wrong.

Of course, if it's true that everyone is kept back, what that really means is that two OL in this class is completely irrelevant for future depth unless you had an existing problem that you were trying to backfill.

Running back might be the biggest need on Wednesday, I hope they come up with something, they need a freshman or a transfer that has 3 to play 2, hoping for a surprise tomorrow. Unfortunately there probably won't be any surprises tomorrow.

This is what makes it a mess. Who knows how this will shake out in the coming years. But I do know this, if these kids don't pan out there will be a time when WSU is starting kids because there was a huge hole in this year’s class for 50% of the offense.

The way I see an offense... you have half interior players and half perimeter players. If the roles were reversed and Rolo only signed 2 kids this year out of WRs, RBs and QBs.... that is a huge flub. So how is it a coach can justify taking only 2 interior players, when its those positions that make the offense go???

We have seen what a recruiting class with only 2 OL can turn into. We have seen what happens when a staff doesnt invest in the OL at WSU.

Rolo has not had so much as a cup of fuc$ing coffee in P5 football. He has signed 2 classes and coached 4 games. Maybe some schools can get by with 7 OL in 2 years, WSU isnt one of those schools. Leach had a formula for OL success. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Agree 100% with Biggs on Offensive Line. I'd go for at least 5 per year. Athletic kids that might be able to play other positions as well. Worked well for Price and Leach.

This is what makes it a mess. Who knows how this will shake out in the coming years. But I do know this, if these kids don't pan out there will be a time when WSU is starting kids because there was a huge hole in this year’s class for 50% of the offense.

The way I see an offense... you have half interior players and half perimeter players. If the roles were reversed and Rolo only signed 2 kids this year out of WRs, RBs and QBs.... that is a huge flub. So how is it a coach can justify taking only 2 interior players, when its those positions that make the offense go???

We have seen what a recruiting class with only 2 OL can turn into. We have seen what happens when a staff doesnt invest in the OL at WSU.

Rolo has not had so much as a cup of fuc$ing coffee in P5 football. He has signed 2 classes and coached 4 games. Maybe some schools can get by with 7 OL in 2 years, WSU isnt one of those schools. Leach had a formula for OL success. Don't fix what isn't broken.

If it's true that everyone gets an extra year, two linemen this year doesn't mean anything. As long as a bunch of our young guys don't leave, we are going to have seven freshmen OL in 2021 that are all eligible to redshirt. Most years, you might have a point, but not this year.

Even going forward, we typically only end up with 1-2 starters per recruiting class, so the notion that we HAVE to have five recruits every year is ludicrous. What's funny about people bringing up Price is that he cheated and brought in tall tight ends that he converted to OL if they didn't work out on the receiving end. Not even the same situation that Rolo works within.

This year is different you don't need 5 you already had 20 coming back, and last years freshman class still has 5 years of eligibility. I believe you will have scholarship 22 OL on the roster to start the year. A coach once told me you need to take the position and multiple by 4 to come up with the min number on your roster per position, and try to fill all 22 spots each year. With 22 OL you have other areas of bigger need, and this years class a bonus year, and is one where you fill with immediate need and depth. OL is one area of strength, and I like to think the coaches know what they have there. This team needs a lot of help on the Defensive side of the ball, and a Jerome Harrrison.

This year is different you don't need 5 you already had 20 coming back, and last years freshman class still has 5 years of eligibility. I believe you will have scholarship 22 OL on the roster to start the year. A coach once told me you need to take the position and multiple by 4 to come up with the min number on your roster per position, and try to fill all 22 spots each year. With 22 OL you have other areas of bigger need, and this years class a bonus year, and is one where you fill with immediate need and depth. OL is one area of strength, and I like to think the coaches know what they have there. This team needs a lot of help on the Defensive side of the ball, and a Jerome Harrrison.

Agree they need help on defense. If these frosh are playing either there was no one else, they're really that good or a mix of both.

Are there any big time backs still out there???

Reactions: froropmkr72
Agree they need help on defense. If these frosh are playing either there was no one else, they're really that good or a mix of both.

Are there any big time backs still out there???
There are 3 4-star guys plus a bunch of guys like Cyrus Habibi-Likio from Oregon. Plenty of talent to work with.

If it's true that everyone gets an extra year, two linemen this year doesn't mean anything. As long as a bunch of our young guys don't leave, we are going to have seven freshmen OL in 2021 that are all eligible to redshirt. Most years, you might have a point, but not this year.

Even going forward, we typically only end up with 1-2 starters per recruiting class, so the notion that we HAVE to have five recruits every year is ludicrous. What's funny about people bringing up Price is that he cheated and brought in tall tight ends that he converted to OL if they didn't work out on the receiving end. Not even the same situation that Rolo works within.

Leach has been the one coach who went all in on the OL and his meat grinder approach resulted in a line that never was an issue. Guys graduated and we didn't fall off. Leach got some big bodied athletes but the stated plan was almost always to play OL and he started them on a plan to be a 300 LB monster by their sophomore year.

Price recruited a lot of jumbo athletes but he took more of a wait and see approach with a lot of kids. Not sure it would have made a difference but I don't think Josh Shavies spending 3 years as a TE helped his development at his ultimate destination of DT. But I'll still give Price credit for bringing in a lot of athletic kids with size. The two coaches who followed him weren't able to do it.

Rolo has thus far been more committed to getting a ton of athletes for the D-line. It'll be interesting to see how the 2022 class shapes up now that Rolo has addressed areas where he wasn't pleased with the bodies he had at certain position groups. DT, DE, LB, and CB have the numbers he wants to get what he's looking for. We might go a little heavier on S and RB next year, but we should land a pretty balanced class.

You know...thinking about it....not sure the brilliance of leach was strictly about teh number of lineman he took every year, but how he kept them healthy for 8 years. I think the starting 5 stayed healthy year after year, so he almost could get away in terms of PT with 7 lineman.

He had a ton of attrition but went back into the market and got more. And I am wondering if his blocking scheme (get in front of the defender) in a pass block that position put the pass blockers in a position where they were less susceptible to leg injuries.

You know...thinking about it....not sure the brilliance of leach was strictly about teh number of lineman he took every year, but how he kept them healthy for 8 years. I think the starting 5 stayed healthy year after year, so he almost could get away in terms of PT with 7 lineman.

He had a ton of attrition but went back into the market and got more. And I am wondering if his blocking scheme (get in front of the defender) in a pass block that position put the pass blockers in a position where they were less susceptible to leg injuries.

Pass blocking isnt gonna put you on the ground as much. It isnt gonna put you belly to belly as much. It isnt gonna get you swept up from behind as much. Your wear and tear isnt gonna be the same as an option team or run heavy scheme.

Not every school is the same. Some schools can take 3 OL per year and be just fine with talent and depth. Other schools cant. Some schools have a ton of 4 star kids roll thru every year and are able to get kids on the field sooner. Some schools need kids to develop for 3 years before they get on the field.

IMO, WSU is a development school that needs to put numbers into certain positions in order to get production from them. OL is one of them. It may be time to do the same with DBs.

Pass blocking isnt gonna put you on the ground as much. It isnt gonna put you belly to belly as much. It isnt gonna get you swept up from behind as much. Your wear and tear isnt gonna be the same as an option team or run heavy scheme.

Not every school is the same. Some schools can take 3 OL per year and be just fine with talent and depth. Other schools cant. Some schools have a ton of 4 star kids roll thru every year and are able to get kids on the field sooner. Some schools need kids to develop for 3 years before they get on the field.

IMO, WSU is a development school that needs to put numbers into certain positions in order to get production from them. OL is one of them. It may be time to do the same with DBs.
Agree on the scheme helping to keep players healthy, but that was broadly true of the whole offense as well. I think Leach's focus on flexibility as much as strength made a big difference. How many high ankle sprains did guys get in the Leach regime?

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
Agree on the scheme helping to keep players healthy, but that was broadly true of the whole offense as well. I think Leach's focus on flexibility as much as strength made a big difference. How many high ankle sprains did guys get in the Leach regime?
I think it gives a lot of credence to the leach beach

I can't remember the last quality DB we "developed". For the most part we've had guys who could either play on day 1 or guys who couldn't. My rule for DB's has been if they aren't able to play as freshman, you can probably recruit over them without too much of a problem.

Reactions: chipdouglas
I can't remember the last quality DB we "developed". For the most part we've had guys who could either play on day 1 or guys who couldn't. My rule for DB's has been if they aren't able to play as freshman, you can probably recruit over them without too much of a problem.

If frosh are playing over vets you either got a big time frosh or vets aren’t good.

It may be that WSU needs to take 3 corners and 3-4 safeties per class. Maybe one of the safeties grows into a linebacker.

If frosh are playing over vets you either got a big time frosh or vets aren’t good.

It may be that WSU needs to take 3 corners and 3-4 safeties per class. Maybe one of the safeties grows into a linebacker.

I think WSU has had two really talented safeties over the last couple of years. But who has been the best corner? Some could argue Pippens had been their best playmaker. I know Molton was a four year starter, but did he really measure up to our past?

I would say Banker has changed the talent on the back end and upgraded it in a hurry. While it is the easiest position to change overnight, it doesn't always happen that way.

Like every staff, there are players you watch and you say...what did they offer him a scholie for. And many times it happens at the same position.

It will be interesting to see how Rolo does along the offensive line, and if he can put out five effective starters every year and keep them healthy like Leach.

Leach rolled through a ton of lineman who never played for WY, but always had a solid starting five. The only issue with his lines is he couldn't block an effective NG. Thus UW could rush three and be effective.

I think WSU has had two really talented safeties over the last couple of years. But who has been the best corner? Some could argue Pippens had been their best playmaker. I know Molton was a four year starter, but did he really measure up to our past?

I would say Banker has changed the talent on the back end and upgraded it in a hurry. While it is the easiest position to change overnight, it doesn't always happen that way.

Like every staff, there are players you watch and you say...what did they offer him a scholie for. And many times it happens at the same position.

It will be interesting to see how Rolo does along the offensive line, and if he can put out five effective starters every year and keep them healthy like Leach.

Leach rolled through a ton of lineman who never played for WY, but always had a solid starting five. The only issue with his lines is he couldn't block an effective NG. Thus UW could rush three and be effective.

Banker may prove to be Rolo’s best hire. Tons of experience in the league, knows what he is looking at, knows where to go to get kids, knows how to coach a sound defensive backfield...

The most important coaches on your staff are DBs, DL, OL and QB. If you cant get these 4 position groups coached up it doesnt matter what the rest do, the ship sinks.

You Can Say that...... But you would be wrong.

John Richardson is the one bringing in all the secondary talent. Very obvious to see this if you actually took a second to research it.

John Richardson is the one bringing in all the secondary talent. Very obvious to see this if you actually took a second to research it.

Ed’s not really a detail guy.

Ed on the brain at 5:45 am?

Safe to say that falls under the category of get a life.

WSU football and signing day on the brain. Since I'm a WSU that is part of my life. I wake up at 5:00. This website is one of the things I look at every morning.

Are you disputing that Ed is not really a detail guy?

Without looking it up...do you know who Banker is?
Ed’s not really a detail guy.

So what you are saying...when they evaluate Pac 12 talent, they watch film, Banker has had zero input on who they should recruit and he is in the film study falling asleep?

The fact that Banker has been a DC and a DB coach in this league, and has a ton of contacts I would suspect he is heavily involved in reshaping the secondary.

I was referring to the fact that Ed was always wrong about that opinion. LOL. We always argued this on the paid board....respectively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT