ADVERTISEMENT

2013-2019

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Were some great times. Those are over. We are back in Wulff days. Except in this case, any talent can both choose or be persuaded to leave. It’s over boys. This is the worst I’ve seen things since Wulff’s last year. And instead of looking up, things are looking bad. Trendline is pointing down. Whatever happened on the bye week is compounding our lack of talent and coaching. And those are the two biggest problems, talent and coaching, which they have very little ability to change for the better in the coming future unless we gain some unforeseen windfall. 4-8 seems most likely. Rough.

Were some great times. Those are over. We are back in Wulff days. Except in this case, any talent can both choose or be persuaded to leave. It’s over boys. This is the worst I’ve seen things since Wulff’s last year. And instead of looking up, things are looking bad. Trendline is pointing down. Whatever happened on the bye week is compounding our lack of talent and coaching. And those are the two biggest problems, talent and coaching, which they have very little ability to change for the better in the coming future unless we gain some unforeseen windfall. 4-8 seems most likely. Rough.
This team would dominate wullf teams

WSU could always fall back on being in the P12, now that is gone (in whatever context it ends up).

Two bad football hires in a row killed all momentum. The poor AD operations have continued (ticket office, CAF, etc. etc. etc.), and the university has become more deluded. It all starts with leadership, and that doesn't matter if you're the university president, the AD, or a head coach. Everyone that couldn't fail, has. Troubling times for the university are ahead.

This is getting disturbingly close to that 2011 team, at least. What's more troubling is what could be to come, both during and after the season.

Leach showed up at WSU with experience. As a head coach, as an assistant at SEC and Big 12 schools, having called plays and created a scheme. He had made decisions and worked with admin. He had hired and fired. Having been at power 5 schools, one of which was a blue blooded program, Leach showed up knowing what “it” is supposed to look like.

He leaves and Chun hires Turd2. Then he gets fired and hires Dickert.

Look at Leach’s resume. Now look at those two resumes.

Dickert is over his head. He should never have been hired. I understand the reasoning behind it. Continuity, etc. Fine. He was woefully prepared. And guess what? It caught up to him.

Chun extended him. He sucks too.

Power 5 football is not a place to learn on the job. Not now. Not at WSU.

The WSU athletic department needs a Meion Sanders type team meeting.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
This is frustrating but nowhere close to Wulfiann. We have players that show signs of being good but can’t string it together for a couple of series. We have coaches that show signs of being good then we see players looking lost for a couple of series. Wulff was shitty coaching and overmatched players from start to finish every week.

There’s a talent issue at defensive tackle and LB that can’t be overlooked. Wisconsin and OSU were nice wins, but neither of them are great teams. By the 4th quarter, they both had our defense figured out.

The bottom of the P12 is significantly more physical than we are on both sides of the ball. The top of the P12 have more speed and skill.

Bingo. Similarities to 06, 07 are uncanny.
06 in particular. I think that team was 6-2, then lost out. Of course that was largely due to injuries. This team? I don’t know. They just woke up one day and sucked.

thinking the same thing myself, linebackers aare not making plays, at all

Replacing the 1st team all league LB was never going to happen. They did nothing to upgrade other than find JAGs. The DTs are JAGs too. Why throw the ball into WSU’s best defensive players when you can run it right up the gut?

How many tackles did Stone and Jackson have yesterday?

WSU is not a school that can be poorly coached in bad schemes. They are getting beaten soundly on the chalk board.

Replacing the 1st team all league LB was never going to happen. They did nothing to upgrade other than find JAGs. The DTs are JAGs too. Why throw the ball into WSU’s best defensive players when you can run it right up the gut?

How many tackles did Stone and Jackson have yesterday?

WSU is not a school that can be poorly coached in bad schemes. They are getting beaten soundly on the chalk board.

Seems like Stone and Jackson have been non existent in the last couple games

Leach showed up at WSU with experience. As a head coach, as an assistant at SEC and Big 12 schools, having called plays and created a scheme. He had made decisions and worked with admin. He had hired and fired. Having been at power 5 schools, one of which was a blue blooded program, Leach showed up knowing what “it” is supposed to look like.

Dickert is over his head. He should never have been hired. I understand the reasoning behind it. Continuity, etc. Fine. He was woefully prepared. And guess what? It caught up to him.

Now spew a rant over how Leach dealt with NIL and the active, constant recruiting of his roster.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz

For those of us that don't need to take off our shoes to count to eleven, WSU has been and continues to be in hard times financially since 2020. Once Leach left it was budget hires. WSU Athletics lost $31 million in 2020.

You continue to bitch. That's all you do. You don't buy tickets and don't donate.

06 in particular. I think that team was 6-2, then lost out. Of course that was largely due to injuries. This team? I don’t know. They just woke up one day and sucked.
Price had his fair share of teams that crapped the bed down the stretch. 1993 was my freshman year, so I remember that one quite well. I believe it was 1997 before Price had a road win in the month of November.

There’s a talent issue at defensive tackle and LB that can’t be overlooked. Wisconsin and OSU were nice wins, but neither of them are great teams. By the 4th quarter, they both had our defense figured out.

The bottom of the P12 is significantly more physical than we are on both sides of the ball. The top of the P12 have more speed and skill.
We’re not a very good team. We looked good early because we played 2 soft opponents, and we held things together well enough against Wisconsin and OSU to build first half leads and hang on to win. We, for the most part, disappeared in the second half of both.

We definitely have a talent issue at LB and DL. This springs from the depth and talent issues we had there last year, but masked behind Daiyan Henley. We just didn’t fix it in the off-season.

On top of that, something happened in the bye week. The team stopped playing with any kind of motivation or direction. I think if they’d gotten some significant news about the future it would have leaked, but I can’t imagine anything else that would make them so suddenly just quit.

We’re not a very good team. We looked good early because we played 2 soft opponents, and we held things together well enough against Wisconsin and OSU to build first half leads and hang on to win. We, for the most part, disappeared in the second half of both.

We definitely have a talent issue at LB and DL. This springs from the depth and talent issues we had there last year, but masked behind Daiyan Henley. We just didn’t fix it in the off-season.

On top of that, something happened in the bye week. The team stopped playing with any kind of motivation or direction. I think if they’d gotten some significant news about the future it would have leaked, but I can’t imagine anything else that would make them so suddenly just quit.

If this is essentially a “contract year” for these kids, it would be a good idea to play like your hair is on fire. Have film for the next coach to watch that doesn’t include you giving up.

If Chun doesn’t have a 2024 schedule to show the current roster by the time the portal opens, it could be a jailbreak for the door. None of these kids came to WSU to play Mtn West football.

If this is essentially a “contract year” for these kids, it would be a good idea to play like your hair is on fire. Have film for the next coach to watch that doesn’t include you giving up.

If Chun doesn’t have a 2024 schedule to show the current roster by the time the portal opens, it could be a jailbreak for the door. None of these kids came to WSU to play Mtn West football.
Well that is what it is going to be, basically.

Our program as we knew it is gone. We're looking at essentially a death penalty of sorts. 60% of the roster will likely turn over. We're stepping down to a G5 conference, but the reality check is going to hit hard because the MWC isn't weak. With a new roster, we'll be lucky to win 2-3 games next year.

Our program as we knew it is gone. We're looking at essentially a death penalty of sorts. 60% of the roster will likely turn over. We're stepping down to a G5 conference, but the reality check is going to hit hard because the MWC isn't weak. With a new roster, we'll be lucky to win 2-3 games next year.
Well aren't you Mr. Positive!

I agree the MWC isn't weak, at least with the top teams.
So riddle me this? If they aren't weak, then why would a PAC-14 not be deemed P5?
And why are many so opposed to a merger? I thought it was because they were too weak.

So riddle me this? If they aren't weak, then why would a PAC-14 not be deemed P5?
And why are many so opposed to a merger? I thought it was because they were too weak.
In time, I think things will be restored to generally what they are now. It's the fans in our demographic who are going to have a hard time adjusting to a G5 schedule.

The reason people are opposed to a merger is because we valued our P5 status. Punching above our weight class, playing in the bigtime. Now we've got a schedule of programs we grew up looking down on. It isn't the same.

The likely outcome is, in fact, playing a Mountain West schedule. I don't see this preventing anyone from transferring who otherwise is so inclined. https://www.deseret.com/2023/10/24/...tate-scheduling-alliance-mountain-west-pac-12

In time, I think things will be restored to generally what they are now. It's the fans in our demographic who are going to have a hard time adjusting to a G5 schedule.

The reason people are opposed to a merger is because we valued our P5 status. Punching above our weight class, playing in the bigtime. Now we've got a schedule of programs we grew up looking down on. It isn't the same.
The financial picture is very different as well. Yes, WSU always was looking up even in that brief "golden era" of equal revenue sharing with less than promised amounts in the Pac-12. Other schools had much better financial situations and could spend it on myriad "analysts," recruiting helpers, and other off-field personnel, and on stuff like charter flights. But at least WSU was in the mix with Power 5 schools and clearly above the G of 5 in that regard. We could pay our coaches more and kids wanted to play in Power 5. No longer. Donations and attendance definitely are going to take hits. Yes, attendance already was bad for a lot of games, but you're getting even fewer people to watch a mediocre WSU team play a mediocre Utah State team in November than you get now when it's WSU playing, say, Colorado. I won't be surprised if we're under 15,000 actual butts in seats for a lot of games and a virtually empty stadium if we get stuck with something like a Friday night home game right before Thanksgiving break against a MWC opponent.

I realize one could interpret this as "generally what they are now" at a very high level.

Sincerely, University of Idaho.

I am noy opposed, without some kind of merger we have nothing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT