ADVERTISEMENT

7-5 Wisconsin is playing on New Years Day vs. LSU...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Very, very hard to believe our team (who handed them and OSU a solid defeat) went on that losing streak.

Very, very hard to believe our team (who handed them and OSU a solid defeat) went on that losing streak.

It was a crazy year. I attribute the slide to a combination of all of the conference demise BS combined with an unexpected a$$-kicking at the hands of Arizona. I think that loss got in our heads and it took a month to get our heads back on straight.

It's going to be real interesting to see if Jake can put forward a good team next year. That 2024 schedule could be tricky. Below are my predictions for the season (green - win, red - lose)

Portland State (5-6)
Texas Tech (7-6)
@ UW (13-1)

SJSU (7-6)
@ OSU (8-4)
Utah State (6-7)
Wyoming (8-4)
Hawaii (5-8)
@ SDSU (4-8)

@ BSU (8-6)
@ UNM (4-8)
@ FSU (9-4)

We got no favors with UW, OSU, Boise State and Fresno State on the road. I think it's going to be a 7-5 season but it could easily be another 5-7 clunker or a surprising 10 win finish. Just depends on how well we fill holes in the offseason and if Mateer can ball or not.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
It was a crazy year. I attribute the slide to a combination of all of the conference demise BS combined with an unexpected a$$-kicking at the hands of Arizona. I think that loss got in our heads and it took a month to get our heads back on straight.

It's going to be real interesting to see if Jake can put forward a good team next year. That 2024 schedule could be tricky. Below are my predictions for the season (green - win, red - lose)

Portland State (5-6)
Texas Tech (7-6)
@ UW (13-1)

SJSU (7-6)
@ OSU (8-4)
Utah State (6-7)
Wyoming (8-4)
Hawaii (5-8)
@ SDSU (4-8)

@ BSU (8-6)
@ UNM (4-8)
@ FSU (9-4)

We got no favors with UW, OSU, Boise State and Fresno State on the road. I think it's going to be a 7-5 season but it could easily be another 5-7 clunker or a surprising 10 win finish. Just depends on how well we fill holes in the offseason and if Mateer can ball or not.

A lot depends on whether Mateer or a JC QB or Transfer Portal QB can ball or not, and whether can get decent, good, ok, replacement WR's.

The rest of roster there won't be as much to replace. If don't get a serviceable QB, WR's, then WSU can finish 4-8, 5-7, 6-6, etc.

But if WSU gets good QB, WR's, semi service replacements on rest of roster, then WSU would probably be 6-6, 7-5, etc, AT WORST, to 8-4 at average, to 9-3 at best vs that schedule.

Texas Tech is, can be a TOSS UP, it's not a CLEAR LOSS or win.

And While OSU had a good season, at 8-4, they going to the crappy Sun Bowl, and they losing their HC, and COACHING STAFF, and THEIR QB, and WSU beat a OSU team that probably WAY THE HELL BETTER then next seasons OSU team. So because of those factors, OSU is probably somewhere between TOSS UP and WIN, but is a game WSU can EASILY lose, but not the automatic or likely loss you have OSU pegged as.

And while BSU and Fresno St are tougher games, that are on the road, WSU can semi probably win one of them.

While BSU, Fresno St are tougher and on the road. BSU was 8-6 down. And as good as the tougher MWC teams are, they are beating up on weaker MWC teams. If WSU were to play BSU, Fresno St. on the road 10 games each on the road in a row, WSU would probably win 3,4, and BSU, Fresno State would probably win 6.5 out of 10. But if it was a mid PAC 12 team 10 in a row, instead of BSU, Fresno St, WSU would only win, 0,1,2 out of 10.

So because of that WSU can might probably beat 1 of either BSU, Fresno St. And of the 2, I think WSU either beats or has the better chance to beat BSU, because Fresno St, is pretty good.

So since there is 2 TOSS UP games vs TTU, OSU, WSU beats one of them, and loses to the other.

So I see 1,2 more wins

So I see a 8-4 season, maybe a 9-3 season, as a semi flyer, semi stretch, at semi best.

But it all depends on what Dickert does recruiting wise.

But since Dickert had to do a MIRACULOUS replacement of ALMOST whole team last season, and did a pretty good job of doing so, and since it was on X's and O's and injuries that was responsible for losing streak, and NOT Dickert supposedly failing to get good replacements, then Dickert will probably get good replacements just fine, AGAIN.

But really there is really too many unknown variables to give more then the loosest of projections.

And so because of that, you shouldn't be super worried, and not step onto cliff or step back from cliff.

Remember this is the MWC, not the PAC 12 that had 8 teams in top 25 at one point.

Portland State (5-6)
Texas Tech (7-6)
@ UW (13-1)

SJSU (7-6)
@ OSU (8-4)
Utah State (6-7)
Wyoming (8-4)
Hawaii (5-8)
@ SDSU (4-8)

@ BSU (8-6)
@ UNM (4-8)
@ FSU (9-4)

Mateer is obvious, I’ll say the key is having some kids step the F up on the O-Line and/or some actual coaching happening there. The running game was pathetic this year and way too many lookout blocks for Ward. Mateer is gonna struggle as a first year starter if we aren’t light years better on the line. Had been an area of strength under Leach, need to get that nastiness back.

Mateer is obvious, I’ll say the key is having some kids step the F up on the O-Line and/or some actual coaching happening there. The running game was pathetic this year and way too many lookout blocks for Ward. Mateer is gonna struggle as a first year starter if we aren’t light years better on the line. Had been an area of strength under Leach, need to get that nastiness back.
We need guys like Dillard, Lucas, Ryan and Dahl back.

Since that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon, the strength and conditioning coach needs a miracle to produce bigger arms, bigger thighs, bigger butts, and smaller bellies.

When you look at the lack of depth and talent we had on the OL and the interior DL, it’s not that hard to believe. Also look closer at the Wisconsin and OSU wins and recall that we jumped on both early and built leads and then hung on to win. The offense faded in both games, and there’s a fair chance that if they’d had an additional late possession, we lose both of them.

Portland State (5-6)
Texas Tech (7-6)
@ UW (13-1)

SJSU (7-6)
@ OSU (8-4)
Utah State (6-7)
Wyoming (8-4)
Hawaii (5-8)
@ SDSU (4-8)

@ BSU (8-6)
@ UNM (4-8)
@ FSU (9-4)

The slide started before Arizona. We were pretty uninspired in a winnable game at UCLA, coming off a bye. And, we were largely absent for the 4th quarter against OSU. The degree of the beat-down was surprising, but the loss wasn’t. Most of the team looked pretty uninterested from halftime of OSU until Colorado.

Since that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon, the strength and conditioning coach needs a miracle to produce bigger arms, bigger thighs, bigger butts, and smaller bellies.
If I remember right, none of those guys were blue chippers. They were all developed. Harder to do now, one good season and they are getting calls from everyone, but average o line play would be acceptable. It was putrid this year.

Reactions: UberCougars

Portland State (5-6)
Texas Tech (7-6)
@ UW (13-1)

SJSU (7-6)
@ OSU (8-4)
Utah State (6-7)
Wyoming (8-4)
Hawaii (5-8)
@ SDSU (4-8)

@ BSU (8-6)
@ UNM (4-8)
@ FSU (9-4)

B-b-b-but the Husky game is a “ Home” game!

Gotta say, TTech in Pullman is pretty sweet!

I love Mateer and his leadership. Looking cautiously optimistic for next year from my seat.
If I remember right, none of those guys were blue chippers. They were all developed. Harder to do now, one good season and they are getting calls from everyone, but average o line play would be acceptable. It was putrid this year.
putrid at times for sure but this team was #13 AP at one point and effective enough. Colorado happened. No way an “bad” or “broken” team spanks anyone that hard.

and we were still two phantom penalty flags away from a bowl game beating the #2 team in the country on the road.

The middle of the season. What happened?

"I like big butts and I cannot lie" . Donkey

Portland State (5-6)
Texas Tech (7-6)
@ UW (13-1)

SJSU (7-6)
@ OSU (8-4)
Utah State (6-7)
Wyoming (8-4)
Hawaii (5-8)
@ SDSU (4-8)

@ BSU (8-6)
@ UNM (4-8)
@ FSU (9-4)

I can't argue with this projection much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT