ADVERTISEMENT

Abraham Lucas a coug

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
Do nt know if anyone posted this yet. I think this guy will have an awesome career. A big guy who can also play basketball has the tools to become a quality O lineman

Do nt know if anyone posted this yet. I think this guy will have an awesome career. A big guy who can also play basketball has the tools to become a quality O lineman
6'8" and 260 (I've seen reports of 280). Rivals has him as a Dline but I've also seen reports of Oline. That boy is tall…. :eek:

Abraham Lucas

The cougs recruited him as a O lineman. The O Line coach was the point man on him. After watching tapes of him,one wonders why he was not heavily recruited. OSU came in at the end but he stayed with the cougs.. The coaches did a good job on this one.

This is the kid that CougEd was referring to in his post last week. Nice catch, Ed. Except he is not a late signee for this year's class but is in the 2017 group. A tall TE destined to be converted into an OL. Sounds like one of Mike Price's projects. 6'8" and carries 260 lbs. well with sufficient footwork to play TE. The staff mentions that he has big hands and feet which tells me that he has the frame to put on the necessary weight for an offensive lineman. Loscalzo and McGuire have a promising prospect to work with in the young Mr. Lucas.

On a related note, it was not long ago that our recruiting was abysmal especially regarding linemen. Today our commitment list is full of 3 star kids with a couple or three 4 star verbals- depending of course on the recruiting site. Only two listed as only two star athletes, one of whom is 6'8" 260 lbs and the other is 6'5" 275 lbs. Both of whom have offers from other D1 schools. I can live with that quite nicely, thank you. I am hoping that the staff can continue the quality is this year's class. And then have Salavea put the frosting on the cake with some big Samoan prospects. Things are shaping up quite nicely on the recruiting front for us.

Last edited:
The cougs recruited him as a O lineman. The O Line coach was the point man on him. After watching tapes of him,one wonders why he was not heavily recruited. OSU came in at the end but he stayed with the cougs.. The coaches did a good job on this one.

Eric Mele ran point, not McGuire. But, McGuire was involved, as all position coaches are secondary recruiters to the position. In the end, it doesn't matter. Everyone on the staff are very good at evaluation and recruiting.

This is a kid that now the team has depth, they can take this athlete and make him a hoss on the line. Great frame to fill in. Dillard wasn't too big coming in (6'5" 245 lbs. if I recall?). If he turns out anything like that...good things on the horizon.

This is the kid that CougEd was referring to in his post last week. Nice catch, Ed. Except he is not a late signee for this year's class but is in the 2017 group. A tall TE destined to be converted into an OL. Sounds like one of Mike Price's projects. 6'8" and carries 260 lbs. well with sufficient footwork to play TE. The staff mentions that he has big hands and feet which tells me that he has the frame to put on the necessary weight for an offensive lineman. Loscalzo and McGuire have a promising prospect to work with in the young Mr. Lucas.

On a related note, it was not long ago that our recruiting was abysmal especially regarding linemen. Today our commitment list is full of 3 star kids with a couple or three 4 star verbals- depending of course on the recruiting site. Only two listed as only two star athletes, one of whom is 6'8" 260 lbs and the other is 6'5" 275 lbs. Both of whom have offers from other D1 schools. I can live with that quite nicely, thank you. I am hoping that the staff can continue the quality is this year's class. And then have Salavea put the frosting on the cake with some big Samoan prospects. Things are shaping up quite nicely on the recruiting front for us.
I'd like to add, this kid seems very humble, very excited to be playing. His quote:

"Man I'm in shock. I would've never thought that one day I would be blessed by God with the opportunity to commit to play college football…. (He says his thank you's) So, without further ado, I am so very proud and happy to announce that I am committing to Washington State University. #GoCougs"

While I still will wait for the fax to come through winter of 2017, this kid seems pretty solid. Love that the kid is eager to be a Coug. Welcome to the family.:)

6'8 is tall for defensive line, but nonetheless, it's always good to stockpile big kids with long levers.

6'8 is tall for defensive line, but nonetheless, it's always good to stockpile big kids with long levers.

I watched some video from his junior season. The young man can run. He is thin right now but has a large frame. Could be a quicker version of Cody O'Connell.

I watched some video from his junior season. The young man can run. He is thin right now but has a large frame. Could be a quicker version of Cody O'Connell.

That's 3 HS OL commits already and 1 JC, get 2 more HS and I'll be cool. We need to get a couple of JC d-tackles I think. We have a lot of young guys right now, could use some age next year.

That's 3 HS OL commits already and 1 JC, get 2 more HS and I'll be cool. We need to get a couple of JC d-tackles I think. We have a lot of young guys right now, could use some age next year.

I wish these grew on trees. I'd have to surmise talented JC DT are the hardest to come by.

6'8" and 260 (I've seen reports of 280). Rivals has him as a Dline but I've also seen reports of Oline. That boy is tall…. :eek:

Abraham Lucas
He is playing TE and DE in high school. Not highly regarded as a TE thus the DE listing on recruiting sites. We want him as an OL. Not aware of Oregon State's plans for him.

You are right; he is tall. If he is really 260 lbs. then I don't know where he is putting it. No fat on the young man.

I had the same thought re O'Connell. I envisage a 6'8" 320 lb. tackle in four or five years with better quickness than Cody has. His current stature is nowhere near ready to see the field which probably accounts for the two star rating. But Loscalzo has something to work with here and Lucas may well develop into a solid player over time. I have seen enough of the "diamond in the rough"/ "hidden gem" type of recruits over the years. But this kid is different. With most of these kids one hopes on blind faith and crimson optimism that he works out while knowing full well that they probably will never amount to much. With Lucas I see an excellent probability that with good guidance by McGuire and the S&C guys that he will develop into a contributor. I really like this verbal if for no other reason than the attention he will garner from me as I watch his development process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT