ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Dillard

WASH ST A&M FAN

Head Coach
Sep 4, 2002
He's now up to 310lbs....

The development of this kid has been amazing. Kudos to him, strength coach, and coach McGuire.

All of the critical Cougs 3 yrs ago about Dillard being the future Left Tackle & McGuire not having any OLine experience have been proven wrong.

Reactions: kougkurt
I don't have stats but I would suspect the Cougs have done very well vs pac12 in number of starts missed due to injury. Some of that's luck but a lot of that is a credit to the S&C program. It was good to see Leach just gave him a nice raise.

Yes to the minimal O line injuries. Luck is always a factor. The strength aspect also helps, but IMHO the conditioning aspect is probably the biggest factor. Ankles, calves, knees…those respond well to the right conditioning work. Flexibility, strength, stamina etc. Clearly that aspect of the program is doing something right.

Pass blocking 85% of the time and the wide splits keep our lineman upright.

Agree. Not slamming into the defensive line every snap helps. You just take less tread off the tire in this offense. The OL stays healthy, the running backs aren't beat to all hell. Your receivers probably get run more but they're skinny anyways so tough.

Biggs a question? Would this offense have helped you prepare to become a Pro O Lineman? I have seen where some pro scouts have called it a "quirky " offense and coug linemen had to learn how to learn how to block for a running game.

He's now up to 310lbs....

The development of this kid has been amazing. Kudos to him, strength coach, and coach McGuire.

All of the critical Cougs 3 yrs ago about Dillard being the future Left Tackle & McGuire not having any OLine experience have been proven wrong.

Were there a lot of people openly critical of Dillard early on?

Agree. Not slamming into the defensive line every snap helps. You just take less tread off the tire in this offense. The OL stays healthy, the running backs aren't beat to all hell. Your receivers probably get run more but they're skinny anyways so tough.

The thing I like the most about Leach is that he has a complete system and he doesn't deviate from it. Some critics will point out that the air-raid has a ceiling, and that it's only good for 7-8 win seasons. My short answer to that is, whatever...

Leach's system is perfect for a program like WSU, but it's enhanced because of the way Leach himself runs the program. He recruits a stable of big, long-levered linemen; but most important is the fact that he knows how to train and develop them. Wide splits, upright blocking in space, depth to rotate players across the line if needed. Then it boils down to practice and repetition. Get rid of the ball quickly, mix in 10-15% running plays, make the defense either commit to a heavy pass rush or drop 7 guys into coverage. How many teams on our schedule every season can routinely pressure the Hell out of us and our 6'5 / 315lb offensive line?

Leach leverages WSU's already solid reputation for being a program that produces quality QBs, and as a result, we now have a revolving door of quality QBs on the roster. A lot of P12 schools can say that, but where we have a leg up is that Leach recruits AND teaches his players a concrete scheme and system. We don't flip-flop based on personnel. That means virtually every season, we have depth and talent on the offensive line, and highly developed QBs. Supplement that with good, but necessarily "great" WRs and RBs. That's a pretty good place to start when evaluating a college football program.

That's where we are under Leach. Elite programs can beat us with power and depth, but we can also rise up against anyone. Even the likes of USC, Stanford, and UW have to take us seriously now, because if they're not on their game, we can score 40+ on them. The program is now mature, and if people say we've reached a ceiling, then so be it. I like the ceiling we've enjoyed the past 2 years. It's a good place to reside.

The thing I like the most about Leach is that he has a complete system and he doesn't deviate from it. Some critics will point out that the air-raid has a ceiling, and that it's only good for 7-8 win seasons. My short answer to that is, whatever...

Leach's system is perfect for a program like WSU, but it's enhanced because of the way Leach himself runs the program. He recruits a stable of big, long-levered linemen; but most important is the fact that he knows how to train and develop them. Wide splits, upright blocking in space, depth to rotate players across the line if needed. Then it boils down to practice and repetition. Get rid of the ball quickly, mix in 10-15% running plays, make the defense either commit to a heavy pass rush or drop 7 guys into coverage. How many teams on our schedule every season can routinely pressure the Hell out of us and our 6'5 / 315lb offensive line?

Leach leverages WSU's already solid reputation for being a program that produces quality QBs, and as a result, we now have a revolving door of quality QBs on the roster. A lot of P12 schools can say that, but where we have a leg up is that Leach recruits AND teaches his players a concrete scheme and system. We don't flip-flop based on personnel. That means virtually every season, we have depth and talent on the offensive line, and highly developed QBs. Supplement that with good, but necessarily "great" WRs and RBs. That's a pretty good place to start when evaluating a college football program.

That's where we are under Leach. Elite programs can beat us with power and depth, but we can also rise up against anyone. Even the likes of USC, Stanford, and UW have to take us seriously now, because if they're not on their game, we can score 40+ on them. The program is now mature, and if people say we've reached a ceiling, then so be it. I like the ceiling we've enjoyed the past 2 years. It's a good place to reside.

Good comments, but regarding this comment...

"Get rid of the ball quickly, mix in 10-15% running plays, make the defense either commit to a heavy pass rush or drop 7 guys into coverage."

How come every season we start out befuddled on how to attack a defense that drops 7 guys into coverage...as inevitably happens?

Why do we sputter on offense when we've seen this over and over again...and presumably practice against it regularly?

I don't understand it.

"Get rid of the ball quickly, mix in 10-15% running plays, make the defense either commit to a heavy pass rush or drop 7 guys into coverage."

How come every season we start out befuddled on how to attack a defense that drops 7 guys into coverage...as inevitably happens?

Why do we sputter on offense when we've seen this over and over again...and presumably practice against it regularly?

I don't understand it.
the QB, whomever it is has to read the defense and hand the ball of enough to force them out of dropping 7-8 players into coverage, if they don't we have trouble trying to force pass after pass into coverage

the QB, whomever it is has to read the defense and hand the ball of enough to force them out of dropping 7-8 players into coverage, if they don't we have trouble trying to force pass after pass into coverage

Yes...so is the QB stubborn or not seeing the coverage or the defense we face good at disguising it or...??

I know things happen very quickly.

You have to maximize your money at WSU. Some schools can afford to have fullbacks and tight ends on scholarship, WSU cannot. WSU needs to push that money into the offensive line to make it go. Seriously, which would you rather have... 4 or 5 scholarship tight ends where the only one that sees the field is the starter and even that might only be 70% of the snaps... Or have another 5 offensive linemen in the depth chart? One position is nice to have. The other is a must have.

This is the most consistently, highly rated high school quarterback talent I've seen come to WSU. No, not all have worked out. But at least showing up they looked like they'd blown it up in high school and were worthy of being highly touted.

I don't understand it.

This is the year to make teams pay for dropping 7 or 8 into coverage. You have an All American at guard. Let him go out and earn a 1st round NFL pay check by running behind him.

I'd also like to see Falk tuck and run a few times. 4 or 5 yards and slide or get out of bounds. Just enough to keep the defense honest and the chains moving.

It's one thing for the defense to know you're gonna throw the ball 60 times. It's another thing for them to defend your QB taking off 6 times.

Oh yeah, run a f*cking draw play!!!

Reactions: longtimecoug
This is the year to make teams pay for dropping 7 or 8 into coverage. You have an All American at guard. Let him go out and earn a 1st round NFL pay check by running behind him.

I'd also like to see Falk tuck and run a few times. 4 or 5 yards and slide or get out of bounds. Just enough to keep the defense honest and the chains moving.

It's one thing for the defense to know you're gonna throw the ball 60 times. It's another thing for them to defend your QB taking off 6 times.

my thought exactly, if they want to drop 8 into coverage, jam it down their throats behind O Connel et al

++++++++

This!

A draw, a center screen, a shovel pass...even the occasional dive...depending upon how many the D is dropping (7 or 8), and from where, one of these should be an automatic 4 yards with the potential for more if things break right. To really work well, the air raid needs to have the D thinking that not only do they have to cover a mesh route, but they also have to leave somebody home in the middle (preferably the MLB) to keep us honest. When we are at that point, our receivers (or RB coming out of the backfield) will be hard to cover.

++++++++

This!

A draw, a center screen, a shovel pass...even the occasional dive...depending upon how many the D is dropping (7 or 8), and from where, one of these should be an automatic 4 yards with the potential for more if things break right. To really work well, the air raid needs to have the D thinking that not only do they have to cover a mesh route, but they also have to leave somebody home in the middle (preferably the MLB) to keep us honest. When we are at that point, our receivers (or RB coming out of the backfield) will be hard to cover.

I'd run dive left and dive right until they stopped it.

Goliath plays guard for WSU!!! There are no stones on the field! Pound the DT into submission. Make that DT play the run with 370lbs. on top of him, then rush the passer. He will be spent.

Make the defense play man because they're getting gashed in the box. First downs lead to touchdowns. Move the chains. Maybe it's not 60 passes per game but at 45 passes per game, an All American guard and a stable of talented backs this offense averages 42 per game.

Say amen if you're with me!!!

Goliath plays guard for WSU!!! There are no stones on the field! Pound the DT into submission. Make that DT play the run with 370lbs. on top of him, then rush the passer. He will be spent.

Make the defense play man because they're getting gashed in the box. First downs lead to touchdowns. Move the chains. Maybe it's not 60 passes per game but at 45 passes per game, an All American guard and a stable of talented backs this offense averages 42 per game.

There should be plenty of opportunity to do just that against some teams on the schedule with very suspect run defenses. Get some good practice in earlier games and prove the commodity. It should make d coordinators nervous in the last half of the season.

I favor running the ball more as well when defenses are dropping back into coverage, but I think another easy way to exploit this is by favoring QB recruits who have the foot speed to tuck the ball and pick up 7-10 easy yards. Leach is never going to be a run first guy, so augment that with a QB who makes defenses think. Not a dual threat, just a mobile runner.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
I favor running the ball more as well when defenses are dropping back into coverage, but I think another easy way to exploit this is by favoring QB recruits who have the foot speed to tuck the ball and pick up 7-10 easy yards. Leach is never going to be a run first guy, so augment that with a QB who makes defenses think. Not a dual threat, just a mobile runner.

I dunno that it even needs to be 7-10 yards. 4 yards and slide on big downs to move the chains sends a message. Run or pass option on 3rd down makes defenses think.

There should be plenty of opportunity to do just that against some teams on the schedule with very suspect run defenses. Get some good practice in earlier games and prove the commodity. It should make d coordinators nervous in the last half of the season.

From the 10 yard line to the goal line, WSU needs to slam the ball down the defenses throat.

You're right. Set the tone early in the season and let DC's watch the game film of what's gonna happen if they can't stop the run.

"You're right. Set the tone early in the season and let DC's watch the game film of what's gonna happen if they can't stop the run."

Correct. It is all about getting into the head of the D staff for the next game. The more divided their concerns, the harder it will be for them to game plan.

AMEN!!

Amen. Probably my biggest criticism of Leach. We've got a great stable of backs and an O Line capable of mauling teams, especially when they have 6, 7 DBs in. If Leach wants to see the Air Raid as he intended it, make the defense respect the run, and the pass will be virtually unstoppable.

Amen. Probably my biggest criticism of Leach. We've got a great stable of backs and an O Line capable of mauling teams, especially when they have 6, 7 DBs in. If Leach wants to see the Air Raid as he intended it, make the defense respect the run, and the pass will be virtually unstoppable.

If you look at the number of touches by position you will see that the RBs are getting the ball far more often then the X, Y, H or Z positions. Greater production from the H and X spots would help the offense more.

We all know Leach isn't going to suddenly change the way structures the offense, but I think he should look at incorporating something unique to the offense every year to help break tendencies. For whatever reason, he hates trick plays. That I don't understand.

The greatest coaches in the game incorporate the occasional trick play to gain a matchup advantage. Belichick, Saban, Meyer, Chris Peterson (kidding) all use them on occasion, so I don't get Leach's perspective on it. He's adverse to taking risks on 4th down, so why not run a flee-flicker, halfback pass, bubble screen WR pass, etc. every now and then?

I think Peterson does a great job with them at UW (and Boise). It enables them to get their top WR in a favorable 1-on-1 matchup on the outside. To me, that's not a trick play, but sound offensive strategy.

When coaches deviate from what they do best they are in trouble. Doesn't mean a system cant evolve. Back in the day in the NFL it was Joe Gibbs and the two tight end system. He came from Air Coryell and modified what they did to fit him and had Beathard get talent for that system. There are two coaches I can think of that have or had the ability to switch their philosophy and be successful. The first was Bill Parcels and the second is Bill Belichek.

Leach's system allows him to get his players on campus and be successful. It does mean we can go up against USC and have a chance and it also exposes us to the down side of that as well, which is losing to a D2 school.

But we should be happy with 8-11 wins a year. Will that be good enough to win the Pac 12 north? We will see.

We all know Leach isn't going to suddenly change the way structures the offense, but I think he should look at incorporating something unique to the offense every year to help break tendencies. For whatever reason, he hates trick plays. That I don't understand.

The greatest coaches in the game incorporate the occasional trick play to gain a matchup advantage. Belichick, Saban, Meyer, Chris Peterson (kidding) all use them on occasion, so I don't get Leach's perspective on it. He's adverse to taking risks on 4th down, so why not run a flee-flicker, halfback pass, bubble screen WR pass, etc. every now and then?

I think Peterson does a great job with them at UW (and Boise). It enables them to get their top WR in a favorable 1-on-1 matchup on the outside. To me, that's not a trick play, but sound offensive strategy.

I can't tell you why he doesn't use them. I can tell you why I hate them.

You are essentially asking a kid to perform a skill that they don't have a lot of reps at, might not be that great at to begin with and adding pressure to perform at an even higher level at what could be a very crucial part of the game.

I don't like asking running backs or receivers to throw the ball. There's a reason they're not quarterbacks. So if you need a big play, who do you want throwing the ball?

I don't like punters running or throwing the ball. They spend years kicking the ball. Now you're gonna ask them to convert a pass or run on a 4th down? No thanks.

Even if you practice these skills, it's just not enough reps to make it go.

Statue of liberty play? Alright maybe.

Flee flicker? Nothing more desperate.

Sound defensive strategy is to make sure you coach your kids not to let the offense's best receiver run wild downfield uncovered. That should be taught on the first day of practice.

I can't tell you why he doesn't use them. I can tell you why I hate them.

You are essentially asking a kid to perform a skill that they don't have a lot of reps at, might not be that great at to begin with and adding pressure to perform at an even higher level at what could be a very crucial part of the game.

I don't like asking running backs or receivers to throw the ball. There's a reason they're not quarterbacks. So if you need a big play, who do you want throwing the ball?

I don't like punters running or throwing the ball. They spend years kicking the ball. Now you're gonna ask them to convert a pass or run on a 4th down? No thanks.

Even if you practice these skills, it's just not enough reps to make it go.

Statue of liberty play? Alright maybe.

Flee flicker? Nothing more desperate.

Sound defensive strategy is to make sure you coach your kids not to let the offense's best receiver run wild downfield uncovered. That should be taught on the first day of practice.
Well for a team that doesn't practice them in the UW they sure kill us on them? The reason he doesn't run them is a mixture of arrogance and confidence. He believe in his system so much it can be successful against anyone, and believes he will call the right play. UW uses them as a great momentum change.

Well for a team that doesn't practice them in the UW they sure kill us on them? The reason he doesn't run them is a mixture of arrogance and confidence. He believe in his system so much it can be successful against anyone, and believes he will call the right play. UW uses them as a great momentum change.

Yes, Dick. We know you're a husky fan now, but take your wagging tongue to realdawg or some other "fake news" site. And arrogance is going 6 and 40 and believing your firing was unjust, but you never once suggested as much in your oxygen-deprived state.

Last edited:
Reactions: longtimecoug
Biggs, I agree with you as far as running a lot of them, but when you have an elite senior QB, Leach, the air raid, tons of WRs, a stable of RBs, it's the perfect opportunity to flash a reverse, a WR pass, run a wildcat set, flash Hilinski as a 4th WR in some situations.

Most elite coaches today do this now.

Biggs, I agree with you as far as running a lot of them, but when you have an elite senior QB, Leach, the air raid, tons of WRs, a stable of RBs, it's the perfect opportunity to flash a reverse, a WR pass, run a wildcat set, flash Hilinski as a 4th WR in some situations.

Most elite coaches today do this now.

What gimmicks do you have in keeping up with your 5-year-old twins? Just asking ...

I've seen us run the shovel and draw so those plays are in there. It really depends on Falk getting us into the right play and the execution.

Last year we had 1500 yards rushing and 23 TDs believe it or not.

We haven't had that much rushing production since 2006.

2003 - 1496
2002 - 1680
2001 - 1515

So we are actually getting the right production, we just need to capitalize on it, take it when it's there and execute consistency.

If we increase the precision and crispness on execution we will do very well.

We are no longer a bad program, we are a decent program, and what we need to do is take that next step to be a great program. It's there we just have to keep building.

One disadvantage to the shotgun is the play motion you get from a conventional draw play goes away. Seems like the straight up the middle dive plays with or without a lead blocker have more consistent success because you get that first step of surprise. Our shotgun draw plays don't fool anybody. The shovel pass is the only similar play that works, because the motion of the play gives you that bit of misdirection back.

What gimmicks do you have in keeping up with your 5-year-old twins? Just asking ...
I actually like not having a lot of gimmicks in the arsenal. They generally aren't necessary. This offense needs to distribute the ball FAST in order to work. The only exception to that is some of the screen game, which we got away from with the wideouts last year (I'm thinking mainly of that signature Leach tunnel screen to the middle for one of the outside wideouts). I'd like to see it come back. Reverses are just too damn slow, and our line is spread out so wide that I'm not sure a running back could flip a flea flicker toss back to the QB without getting killed unless the run was already there to take.

UW also runs a far more conventional offense, one where you can expect a more bunched up offensive line with a more traditional approach to running the ball to clog up the middle long enough for a trick play to take shape behind it. I don't see a lot of crazy double reverses from Oregon because the ball carriers would be flat on their backs in seconds.

As Biggs noted, that's a personnel decision as much as it's scheme or philosophy. Collin Henderson has the best QB rating in WSU history because he could actually throw the ball worth a damn on those trick plays. I remember an attempt from David Minnich in one of those ill-fated Apple Cups that wasn't nearly as successful. How many receivers or running backs on the roster now have attempted a reasonable number of passes in live game action in high school and gotten reps in practice? Probably none. Plus as a rule side to side action loses yards in the Air Raid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT