ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Dillard

If you look at the number of touches by position you will see that the RBs are getting the ball far more often then the X, Y, H or Z positions. Greater production from the H and X spots would help the offense more.
I don't care how many "touches" a RB gets. A swing pass is still a pass. Cramming it down a soft defenses throat for 5 yards a pop behind a 350 lb Lineman is much different than a swing pass that might go for five yards. It changes the mentality the defense has to take and opens up passing lanes that otherwise won't be open if you are relying on swing passes as your run game.

I don't care how many "touches" a RB gets. A swing pass is still a pass. Cramming it down a soft defenses throat for 5 yards a pop behind a 350 lb Lineman is much different than a swing pass that might go for five yards. It changes the mentality the defense has to take and opens up passing lanes that otherwise won't be open if you are relying on swing passes as your run game.

Your opinion contradicts that of the head coach. I suggest that you come to grips with Leach's philosophy.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN

What is the bigger point you are trying to make?

5 Years Later and People Still Don't Understand Leach's Air Raid philosophy

Sigh...................
Huh? I understand his philosophy completely, doesn't mean I agree with 100% of it. Leach isn't the only coach in the world who looks at swing passes and slip screens as an "extension of the running game"...that's fine if you want to think of it that way, but a defense has to adjust way more if you are gashing them with runs.

Not sure how short all of your memories are but the crapfest at the beginning of last year stopped after Leach actually started committing to running the ball during the Idaho game.

Huh? I understand his philosophy completely, doesn't mean I agree with 100% of it. Leach isn't the only coach in the world who looks at swing passes and slip screens as an "extension of the running game"...that's fine if you want to think of it that way, but a defense has to adjust way more if you are gashing them with runs.

Not sure how short all of your memories are but the crapfest at the beginning of last year stopped after Leach actually started committing to running the ball during the Idaho game.
Don't forget, it isn't CML that makes those decisions. He signals a base call but it's the QB who makes those calls, 90.

Trick plays tend to be something to use when execution doesn't get it done for you. Leach's mantra in all things is execution. I think the obvious contradiction you see there is why Leach seldom runs a trick play. But it also depends upon what you consider to be a trick play. I tend to agree with Biggs that asking a punter or receiver or RB to throw the ball is asking for trouble. Misdirection, reverses, etc., do not fall within the trick play category for me. Heck, a cross buck is misdirection; maybe at its simplest, but misdirection none the less. And any offense with 4 WR's and a RB begs for the occasional reverse…though that is more dependent upon how the D is (over)pursuing than what you have in terms of offensive personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT