ADVERTISEMENT

Another Portal Entry

You get you are talking about someone who had talent in high school and hasn’t done anything close to being the number two player coming out of high school. .

leave the high school accolades in the trophy room at home . Doesn’t mean squat when you are in college . Ask Ark Hall.

You keep on ONLY FOCUSING ON THAT.

PAY ATTENTION, COMPREHEND.

1. TOP 10 PASSER STAT WISE IN UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HISTORY, RUBBING ELBOWS STAT WISE WITH PEYTON MANNING, AGAINST THE BEST DEFENSES IN THE NATION IN THE SEC.

COMBINED TOGETHER WITH:

2. #2 QB in the Nation, 5 stars, coming out of HS(NOT ONLY THING)

COMBINED TOGETHER WITH:

3. Had and still has NFL SCOUTS interested in him.

Combined together with

4. A lot of BLUE BLOODS like Alabama types, USC, Ohio State, etc, types, tried to get him, once he entered the transfer portal, that WSU had to then BEAT OUT to get him.

Combined with.

5. The Sports Media. Experts, etc. Have him penciled in as the starter

Combined with

6. A perfect 8 for 8 for 100 yards, no incompletions, 2 TD's 23+ yard TD, during first scrimmage of spring practice. JDL, cooper did CRAP.

LAST WSU QB to do a perfect like that, was Gardner Minshew.

ALL OF THE ABOVE COMBINED TOGETHER, NOT GOING BY JUST ONLY 1 OF THE THINGS, IS WHY GUARANTANO IS A PRETTY GOOD, EXPERIENCED QB, that is BLOODY DAMN LIKELY TO START OVER JDL, COOPER(JDL was Crap last year, except in 1 game)

And you are still stupidly only going by ONLY 1 THING, and not everything combined together

By itself its meaningless. Combined with everything else, is not meaningless.

Why cant you, others go by everything combined together instead of focusing on only 1 thing out of everything said??

Ummm...I think you are missing the point. Maybe he did have the best spring. But he being a five star Qb out of high school is way in the rear view mirror. If you say he has the physical tools great, but his high school ranking clearly doesn't mean squat this far into his college career.

Everyone said the same thing when Leach brought in the kid from Eastern in 2019. No way that he'd sign unless he was going to be the starter.....and he barely took a snap that year. Nobody knows who's going to start at QB.

1. Gubrud got injured. That prevented him from wimning thevstartimg job, and he still almost started.

2. Gubrud did what he did vs WEAK DEFENSES.

Guarantano mafe the Top 10 passer list stat wise vs the BEST DEFENSES IN THE NATION IN THE SEC, big difference.

3. Gordon was tougher competition for Gubrud, then JDL, Cooper is for Guarantano.

Mike, let me translate.

While you did indeed list a number of reasons why Guarantano is a qualified QB, the fact that you listed one that is irrelevant (how he was rated in HS) and some that were of of questionable value (what the sports media thinks; polite interest from NFL scouts; also the other programs that showed some interest...after all, Alabama was not going to take him and I'm not sure how many of the others would have actually offered) means that the messages were mixed. Better to focus on the more valid comparison items (his performance in spring ball...and his passing stats at Tennessee). The spring ball numbers are relative to the quality of the D we had available, but still were as good as we could have asked for, so those are relevant mileposts. The Tennessee thing is a bit more problematic. His stats were good. His ability to make key decisions down the stretch and avoid picks was not as good...certainly no resemblance to Peyton Manning. He lost the starting job, after all. Still, the Tennessee experience (and it is experience with a capital E....almost worthy of your ALL CAPS emphasis) has a lot of value. He was playing against outstanding defenses in those games, so it isn't like he is a QB that moved up from FCS.

On paper, Guarantano looks great. Yet he lost his starting job. If he has absorbed the lessons, he may emerge as our starter. The experience certainly should have a lot of value. In any event, we will have some good competition at QB in fall camp, and that is a plus.

Mike, let me translate.

While you did indeed list a number of reasons why Guarantano is a qualified QB, the fact that you listed one that is irrelevant (how he was rated in HS) and some that were of of questionable value (what the sports media thinks; polite interest from NFL scouts; also the other programs that showed some interest...after all, Alabama was not going to take him and I'm not sure how many of the others would have actually offered) means that the messages were mixed. Better to focus on the more valid comparison items (his performance in spring ball...and his passing stats at Tennessee). The spring ball numbers are relative to the quality of the D we had available, but still were as good as we could have asked for, so those are relevant mileposts. The Tennessee thing is a bit more problematic. His stats were good. His ability to make key decisions down the stretch and avoid picks was not as good...certainly no resemblance to Peyton Manning. He lost the starting job, after all. Still, the Tennessee experience (and it is experience with a capital E....almost worthy of your ALL CAPS emphasis) has a lot of value. He was playing against outstanding defenses in those games, so it isn't like he is a QB that moved up from FCS.

On paper, Guarantano looks great. Yet he lost his starting job. If he has absorbed the lessons, he may emerge as our starter. The experience certainly should have a lot of value. In any event, we will have some good competition at QB in fall camp, and that is a plus.

Its still BLOODY DAMN LIKELY he Guarantano will probably be the starter, unless he gets injured, suspended, booted, etc.

Mike, let me translate.

It was more then just interest from Alabama types. Guarantano, when he entered the Transfer Portal got some semi blue blood to blue blood, semi big time to big time OFFERS, that were TRYING TO GET HIM, that WSU had to BEAT OUT to get him.

It was more then just interest from Alabama types. Guarantano, when he entered the Transfer Portal got some semi blue blood to blue blood, semi big time to big time OFFERS, that were TRYING TO GET HIM, that WSU had to BEAT OUT to get him.
Can you please link to any article that specifically lists those big time offers from blue blood-semi blue blood schools? I have combed the internet for any reference to other offers or even interest in Guarantano and can't find a thing. Again, I hope Guarantano is another Minshew....I'd be really happy if he won the QB job in the fall and led the Cougars to a good season. But if you are going to keep repeating the same arguments about how WSU beat out all these big time schools to land Guarantano, I'd like to see it verified. Actual link, please. Not you just saying you read it somewhere or heard it somewhere. Thank you, Mik.

Glad Cougar

Can you please link to any article that specifically lists those big time offers from blue blood-semi blue blood schools? I have combed the internet for any reference to other offers or even interest in Guarantano and can't find a thing. Again, I hope Guarantano is another Minshew....I'd be really happy if he won the QB job in the fall and led the Cougars to a good season. But if you are going to keep repeating the same arguments about how WSU beat out all these big time schools to land Guarantano, I'd like to see it verified. Actual link, please. Not you just saying you read it somewhere or heard it somewhere. Thank you, Mik.

Glad Cougar
Agree with the "blueblood" comment. Only thing I found was speculation that he might go to Rutgers.

Also, Tennessee wasn't devoid of WR talent, just they weren't SEC great. They had a late rounder in 2020 drafted and a 3rd rounder (I believe) drafted in 2021. Both got most of their yards from Guarantano. The concern with the Tennessee football team, position wise, was with both lines.

And BTW Guarantano was benched at the end of last year and was replaced by a true freshman despite his all-time top ten passing records.

All that said, I am excited we picked up Guarantano and wish him the best. I feel we need one of our QBs to be at least average to have a chance to return to a bowl game.

And you are still stupidly only going by ONLY 1 THING, and not everything combined together

By itself its meaningless. Combined with everything else, is not meaningless.

Why cant you, others go by everything combined together instead of focusing on only 1 thing out of everything said??
Mik...I am comprehending. His high school accolades four years removed mean jack. No one especially Rolo should take that into consideration when evaluating QB's for the fall.

That is like saying the Seahawks should sign Mitch Tribusky (SIC) because he was the 6th pick in the draft and he is in the top five all time passing leaders for the the Bears in terms of TD's thrown.

Mik...I am comprehending. His high school accolades four years removed mean jack. No one especially Rolo should take that into consideration when evaluating QB's for the fall.

That is like saying the Seahawks should sign Mitch Tribusky (SIC) because he was the 6th pick in the draft and he is in the top five all time passing leaders for the the Bears in terms of TD's thrown.

YOU ARE STILL ONLY GOING BY ONLY THAT 1 THING INSTEAD OF EVERYTHING COMBINED.

Agree with the "blueblood" comment. Only thing I found was speculation that he might go to Rutgers.

Also, Tennessee wasn't devoid of WR talent, just they weren't SEC great. They had a late rounder in 2020 drafted and a 3rd rounder (I believe) drafted in 2021. Both got most of their yards from Guarantano. The concern with the Tennessee football team, position wise, was with both lines.

And BTW Guarantano was benched at the end of last year and was replaced by a true freshman despite his all-time top ten passing records.

All that said, I am excited we picked up Guarantano and wish him the best. I feel we need one of our QBs to be at least average to have a chance to return to a bowl game.

Those 1,2 WR's got most of Guarantano's Yards, TD's, etc. But those WR's and the other WR's DROPPED A LOT OF BALLS.

Hard to be successful with only 1,2 good WR's and the Rest being CRAP, DROPPING BALLS, MISRUNNIMG ROUTES, NOT GETTING OPEN, ETC.

But Despite that, he still made the Top 10 passer list.

A lesser QB, if tbey had CRAP coaching, multiple coaches, schemes, systems, CRAP O LINE, only 1 or 2 good WR's, that dropped the ball a lot, and the rest CRAP WR'S that DROPPED A LOT OF BALLS, ETC.

If a lesser QB had to deal with that crap, they wouldnt have done even crap, let alone make a top 10 passer list

He was stupidly benched at the end of last year by STUPID, CRAP COACHES, that put CRAP O LINE, CRAP RB, CRAP WR'S, CRAP DEFENSE, CRAP COACHES, etc, around him.

I do give the Crap coaches enough credit to be smart enough to, that if your going to bench, replace him, you do so with a 5, FIVE STAR, A TOP QB IN NATION, TRUE FRESHMAN.

Those 1,2 WR's got most of Guarantano's Yards, TD's, etc. But those WR's and the other WR's DROPPED A LOT OF BALLS.

Hard to be successful with only 1,2 good WR's and the Rest being CRAP, DROPPING BALLS, MISRUNNIMG ROUTES, NOT GETTING OPEN, ETC.

But Despite that, he still made the Top 10 passer list.

A lesser QB, if tbey had CRAP coaching, multiple coaches, schemes, systems, CRAP O LINE, only 1 or 2 good WR's, that dropped the ball a lot, and the rest CRAP WR'S that DROPPED A LOT OF BALLS, ETC.

If a lesser QB had to deal with that crap, they wouldnt have done even crap, let alone make a top 10 passer list
Tennessee WR group were considered solid all around with a couple drafted. Much like our receiving groups historically have been solid with very few if any drafted. Guarantano is a tall receiver that has shown he can take a hit and has a decent deep ball. He had games he looked great followed by games he looked terrible. Not going too deep into his last full season (2019), but against Vandy his QBR 42.8, followed by MIZZOU (93) and UK (97.5) only to dip down to 43 against UAB. Historically that's is how he has played. A good game or two followed by a bad game or two.

Also, though was recruited by Butch Davis and played a few games for him his RS freshman year the rest of his time at Tennessee he played for Pruitt. I wouldn't call him a good coach, but its not like he had to learn a whole new system after his first full year starting. He also had many of the WR group "grow up" with him and again the group was solid, but not spectacular.

I'm not bearish on the guy. I think he has a lot of positives, but he also has a lot to work on.

EDIT: I was wrong on Guarantano not having to learn new system. He had 3 different coordinators in 3 years each with a different system. The kid was yank around a bit and looks like he was in a constant battle for playing time. This link has a interesting write up of his time in Tennessee along with a brief video of him talking to reporters about his upcoming RS Senior year. Sorry if it has already been posted.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT