ADVERTISEMENT

Ashley Interviews Limo Larry

SDCoug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Hamilton, MT
Saw Ashley Adamson interviewing Limo Larry tonight on the PAC-12 Network. Was golfing on on my buddies simulator and didn’t really pay attention. But seemed as though he was completely delusional about his accomplishments

I can’t get a link to work but is on the Pac-12 app under videos. Titled: "Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott reflects on his tenure.”

Saw Ashley Adamson interviewing Limo Larry tonight on the PAC-12 Network. Was golfing on on my buddies simulator and didn’t really pay attention. But seemed as though he was completely delusional about his accomplishments

I can’t get a link to work but is on the Pac-12 app under videos. Titled: "Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott reflects on his tenure.”

Here you go:

Last edited:
Reactions: SDCoug
Humans develop an amazing ability to rationalize their behavior and judge it to their own benefit.

Look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Larry has several of the classic symptoms.

Reactions: Coug90 and SDCoug
Humans develop an amazing ability to rationalize their behavior and judge it to their own benefit.

Look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Larry has several of the classic symptoms.
Problem is how easily people are suckered by those who exhibit these traits. I don’t necessarily blame the conference representatives for hiring Larry, but to stick with him so long when it was clear long ago he wasn’t up to the job was insane.

Some may not agree with me but I'm very disappointed that she didn't hold his feet to the fire. Softball questions, fluff piece. There were several opportunities where she could have grilled him with follow up tough questions and she passed. Obviously she was given pretty strict guidelines by the network.

Reactions: ATACFD
Some may not agree with me but I'm very disappointed that she didn't hold his feet to the fire. Softball questions, fluff piece. There were several opportunities where she could have grilled him with follow up tough questions and she passed. Obviously she was given pretty strict guidelines by the network.

I thought the same. Didn’t realize that he wasn’t out already as I didn’t read anything about it other than the original tweet that circulated.

I guess he’s still technically her boss. I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t order her to interview him so that he could control the narrative and set himself up for the next scam.

Reactions: chipdouglas
I thought the same. Didn’t realize that he wasn’t out already as I didn’t read anything about it other than the original tweet that circulated.

I guess he’s still technically her boss. I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t order her to interview him so that he could control the narrative and set himself up for the next scam.
That's interesting. If your theory is correct, she should do a scathing expose' after he's gone...just for fun.

That's interesting. If your theory is correct, she should do a scathing expose' after he's gone...just for fun.
Like when Clambake Mary always asked Doba a softball question during his coach's show and then on Paul Saban's first coach's show she calls in and says she was happy with the coaching change?

Et tu Clambake Mary!

One of the reasons the Pac-12 network gets zero views is because they run awful propaganda pieces 24/7. Very rarely do you see anything compelling. If they run a feature talking about the community service work one of the Cougs is doing I might watch, but I can care less if it has anything to do with the other 11 schools. A little controversy would go a long way. But until the focus of the network changes, don't expect them to do anything anyone might think is controversial.

Yep....Ashley doesn't forget where her paycheck comes from!

I felt it was a "take the high road, politically correct" interview. Just fluff.

But what's interesting from Ashely, is that there was no praise whatsoever, for anything. No compliments or praise. In politically correct interviews....that's unheard of!

Last edited:
Problem is how easily people are suckered by those who exhibit these traits. I don’t necessarily blame the conference representatives for hiring Larry, but to stick with him so long when it was clear long ago he wasn’t up to the job was insane.

The fact it collectively took the university presidents and ADs to get rid of him gives me reason to believe they're cowards. Their ineptitude of allowing Larry to continue as commish for so long and the decline of the conference as a power is also on them, this specifically goes for the ones that have been in their positions 3+ years or further.

A few comments:
  1. It felt like Larry's extension was done in a vacuum.
  2. I give Larry credit for the Pac-12 revenue sharing agreement. We gained the most of any school.
  3. The Pac-12 network idea got Colorado and Utah on board. I still would look at expanding at some point.
  4. Before the Pac-12 network, we had very little TV coverage and visibility. Basketball TV coverage as a joke. TV coverage for football too.
Larry's high point is/was building out a network and getting the ball moving.

Reactions: FnuLnu
The fact it collectively took the university presidents and ADs to get rid of him gives me reason to believe they're cowards. Their ineptitude of allowing Larry to continue as commish for so long and the decline of the conference as a power is also on them, this specifically goes for the ones that have been in their positions 3+ years or further.

The PAC 12 does not want to win. They are content with just having programs and making whatever money they get.

As a league, they do not invest in facilities, they do not pay top dollar, they sell their wins to other leagues in cross country pay for play games, they do not invest in recruiting, they do not care. It shows.

Is it really surprising that the best West Coast talent is leaving in droves??? The sales pitch against the PAC 12 is too easy.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
A few comments:
  1. It felt like Larry's extension was done in a vacuum.
  2. I give Larry credit for the Pac-12 revenue sharing agreement. We gained the most of any school.
  3. The Pac-12 network idea got Colorado and Utah on board. I still would look at expanding at some point.
  4. Before the Pac-12 network, we had very little TV coverage and visibility. Basketball TV coverage as a joke. TV coverage for football too.
Larry's high point is/was building out a network and getting the ball moving.
Fine, but get your product out there and make sure it’s available to everyone. The feuds with the different providers serves no purpose other than cutting off huge chunks of your audience that you can get exposure to.

90 - agreed. He got the ball rolling, but failed to execute on the plan. Over solid subscriptions. Wasn't (truly) interested in broadcast partners (which will change) and wanted to keep it all to himself.

The reality is, I think Larry knew the conference sort of needed him to oversee the network. His involvement and oversite of the day to day stuff.

You hear the presidents indicating what has been obvious to me:
1. Outsource the network. Sell 40% of the network to Fox Sports. Get cash now.
2. Have them bundle with other sports bundles. The Big 10 network is the JV model to follow. They partner with Fox. We are "aligned" with the Big 10 and we could/should get some OOC game agreements with them.

The Pac-12 needs to down size overhead. Spin off cash to pay off school debt and coaching salaries.

Reactions: Coug90
Like when Clambake Mary always asked Doba a softball question during his coach's show and then on Paul Saban's first coach's show she calls in and says she was happy with the coaching change?

Who are Clambake Mary and Paul Saban and why would anyone ask Bill Doba about WSU's softball team?

Guess journalism isn't the profession it used to be.

Who are Clambake Mary and Paul Saban and why would anyone ask Bill Doba about WSU's softball team?

Guess journalism isn't the profession it used to be.
If you don't know who Clambake Mary is, you probably are a UW troll.

90 - agreed. He got the ball rolling, but failed to execute on the plan. Over solid subscriptions. Wasn't (truly) interested in broadcast partners (which will change) and wanted to keep it all to himself.

The reality is, I think Larry knew the conference sort of needed him to oversee the network. His involvement and oversite of the day to day stuff.

2. Have them bundle with other sports bundles. The Big 10 network is the JV model to follow. They partner with Fox. We are "aligned" with the Big 10 and we could/should get some OOC game agreements with them.

The Pac-12 needs to down size overhead. Spin off cash to pay off school debt and coaching salaries.

All this has been obvious for at least 6 or 7 years and should have been implemented since 2011, since one of the major shortcomings of Larry's stupid idea was absorbing the massive startup costs for a network while losing all of the opportunities for cross-promotion. The only thing that makes "sense," but was still flawed and detrimental, was focusing on the sunk cost presented by Larry's stupidity up front. Once it became obvious good distribution wasn't going to happen, they should have partnered with Fox or ESPN ASAP before they had to get desperate. Instead, Limo Larry wanted the comp and prestige from being a media company CEO. Your plan is sensible and was clearly the way to go from day one. It sucks that it now has to be addressed from a position of great weakness.

Reactions: Coug90 and 79COUG
425 - Scott was great at overpromising and under delivering. I'd also assume, it was just him and the Pac-12 CEO whom he got to sign off on "staying the course."

I still don't really see us being desperate per se. If we partner with Fox, they can create value in some "college sports bundle." I'm betting a fair amount of Big10 network fans would watch our games/content for a small increase in fees. That revenue, even if it's 10/year, is nearly straight profit.

Might even be more of a global sports/broadcasting play if we can continue to focus on international recruiting for key sports.

Those are the types of strategies we need to be focusing on. Huge untapped markets, namely in the live content age.

Reactions: 425cougfan
425 - Scott was great at overpromising and under delivering. I'd also assume, it was just him and the Pac-12 CEO whom he got to sign off on "staying the course."

I still don't really see us being desperate per se. If we partner with Fox, they can create value in some "college sports bundle." I'm betting a fair amount of Big10 network fans would watch our games/content for a small increase in fees. That revenue, even if it's 10/year, is nearly straight profit.

Might even be more of a global sports/broadcasting play if we can continue to focus on international recruiting for key sports.

Those are the types of strategies we need to be focusing on. Huge untapped markets, namely in the live content age.

I hope so. The problem is that even random low-info fans are well aware of the Pac-12's troubles, and ESPN may be tapped out at this point due to, e.g., the ACC Network being up and running, ESPN taking over for CBS in SEC big-ticket games, ESPN having in recent years come to televise almost every single bowl game, etc. Hard to see how this isn't a relative position of weakness, even if there aren't some reasons to think a deal could be done. I do like your Fox idea, though. Hopefully they can try to get Fox and ESPN to negotiate against each other on the partnership side while maintaining some semblance of a credible threat of staying independent and going with a big tech company (e.g., Amazon or Apple).

The PAC 12 does not want to win. They are content with just having programs and making whatever money they get.

As a league, they do not invest in facilities, they do not pay top dollar, they sell their wins to other leagues in cross country pay for play games, they do not invest in recruiting, they do not care. It shows.

Is it really surprising that the best West Coast talent is leaving in droves??? The sales pitch against the PAC 12 is too easy.

The P12 should be the biggest event on the West Coast. Instead they're driving top talent away because of their own ineptitude.

Larry should've been the stop-gap guy. He came in, put the conference into the 21st century, and then when things weren't transpiring, the presidents/ADs should've found the person to take them to the next level. Like the Mark Jackson to the Steve Kerr for the Warriors.

P12 has to re-make themselves a destination again. It's my belief it's going to take a special human to make that happen as Scott and the presidents/ADs allowed the downfall it to go on too long.

Reactions: Coug90

Yup. Unfortunately his unfounded arrogance wouldn’t allow for that.

The P12 should be the biggest event on the West Coast. Instead they're driving top talent away because of their own ineptitude.

Larry should've been the stop-gap guy. He came in, put the conference into the 21st century, and then when things weren't transpiring, the presidents/ADs should've found the person to take them to the next level. Like the Mark Jackson to the Steve Kerr for the Warriors.

P12 has to re-make themselves a destination again. It's my belief it's going to take a special human to make that happen as Scott and the presidents/ADs allowed the downfall it to go on too long.

They have to spend $. The league doesnt need Oregon or SC to spend money. They already do. The entirety of the conference has to spend. Every school has to pull their weight to make the conference better. If you want to keep West Coast kids home you have to give them a reason. It is too easy for other conferences to come in and sell their school, their conference, their exposure and take kids. Too many schools just dont wanna spend the $ to make more $.

The $ comes from the TV deal.... If it’s me... I recognize it for what it is, a tv show. TV shows that have the best viewership have drama, comedy, action, suspense, something happens that makes you tune in every week. PAC 12 football needs close games, regional rivalries, trophy games, etc. How do you do that???? You play all 11. You dump the conf champ game. You start selling the race to the league title like it’s a pennant race. Every week matters. Every game matters. Stop leaving the West Coast for non league games. Stop scheduling FCS teams. Give the networks what they want, great games! All 11 and 1 non con.

Sign the network deal, play all 11 and send the commish out in front of the media like Clubber Lang and dog the other leagues. Call them out for being soft and playing 4 non con games. Tell them theyre soft for never leaving their time zone. Refuse to schedule a game with any team that wont play here first.

And kick off is at 11:30, 3:00, 6:30. No more bullshit 9am or 9 pm kick offs. No more Thursday night or Friday night games. Demand respect. Demand prime slots. Stop taking the scraps. Stop being sold a bill of goods to play on weeknights.

NBC and CBS could both use the programming boost brought on by having some sports programing. CBS in particular needs something to drive people to it's online platform (Star Trek has bombed) and having sports available might drive some subscriptions.
NBC has Notre Dame football, but they might be looking for more than one game a week.
Say what you will about what Scott did but the fact we have so much of the infrastructure in place lowers the operational cost for someone to come in.
Want to think outside the box? Netflix, Amazon, Google, or Facebook would love to have broadcast rights on their platforms. Facebook in particular would love to funnel online traffic to the website.

The opportunity is there but it'll take someone slick to pull it off. Disney would be a lousy partner for this (Fox and ESPN) as they'd rather push the other conferences. But going with some nontraditional partners would be a fantastic way to differentiate ourselves and if we can improve the product on the field we'll have the ability to rise in prestige.

NBC and CBS could both use the programming boost brought on by having some sports programing. CBS in particular needs something to drive people to it's online platform (Star Trek has bombed) and having sports available might drive some subscriptions.
NBC has Notre Dame football, but they might be looking for more than one game a week.
Say what you will about what Scott did but the fact we have so much of the infrastructure in place lowers the operational cost for someone to come in.
Want to think outside the box? Netflix, Amazon, Google, or Facebook would love to have broadcast rights on their platforms. Facebook in particular would love to funnel online traffic to the website.

The opportunity is there but it'll take someone slick to pull it off. Disney would be a lousy partner for this (Fox and ESPN) as they'd rather push the other conferences. But going with some nontraditional partners would be a fantastic way to differentiate ourselves and if we can improve the product on the field we'll have the ability to rise in prestige.

Long as we don't end up on Peacock...NBC is already screwing me out of good network EPL matches.

They have to spend $. The league doesnt need Oregon or SC to spend money. They already do. The entirety of the conference has to spend. Every school has to pull their weight to make the conference better. If you want to keep West Coast kids home you have to give them a reason. It is too easy for other conferences to come in and sell their school, their conference, their exposure and take kids. Too many schools just dont wanna spend the $ to make more $.

The $ comes from the TV deal.... If it’s me... I recognize it for what it is, a tv show. TV shows that have the best viewership have drama, comedy, action, suspense, something happens that makes you tune in every week. PAC 12 football needs close games, regional rivalries, trophy games, etc. How do you do that???? You play all 11. You dump the conf champ game. You start selling the race to the league title like it’s a pennant race. Every week matters. Every game matters. Stop leaving the West Coast for non league games. Stop scheduling FCS teams. Give the networks what they want, great games! All 11 and 1 non con.

Sign the network deal, play all 11 and send the commish out in front of the media like Clubber Lang and dog the other leagues. Call them out for being soft and playing 4 non con games. Tell them theyre soft for never leaving their time zone. Refuse to schedule a game with any team that wont play here first.

And kick off is at 11:30, 3:00, 6:30. No more bullshit 9am or 9 pm kick offs. No more Thursday night or Friday night games. Demand respect. Demand prime slots. Stop taking the scraps. Stop being sold a bill of goods to play on weeknights.

Agree with a lot of points here. Don't sell out for late windows, ESPN just defaults to that because it's lazy and easy - they truly do not give two craps about the P12.

Really, all P5 football should standardize scheduling - it would create a better viewership and product. 11 conference games and one P5 non-conference, cool. 8 conference games, 4 P5 non-conference, cool.

Think the P12 needs to be very aggressive in their next deal. As etown said, Netflix, Amazon, Twitter, YouTube, Apple (I'll pass on Zuck)...all want a piece sooner than later, and capitalizing on CBS maybe losing the SEC, and NBC maybe wanting to grow. You don't even need the Mouse.

Love him or hate him, I do love that Bill Walton always refers to the P12 as "The Conference of Champions," and though the conference is down, it's a great, but true dig if you take the historical into play.

Agree with a lot of points here. Don't sell out for late windows, ESPN just defaults to that because it's lazy and easy - they truly do not give two craps about the P12.

Really, all P5 football should standardize scheduling - it would create a better viewership and product. 11 conference games and one P5 non-conference, cool. 8 conference games, 4 P5 non-conference, cool.

Think the P12 needs to be very aggressive in their next deal. As etown said, Netflix, Amazon, Twitter, YouTube, Apple (I'll pass on Zuck)...all want a piece sooner than later, and capitalizing on CBS maybe losing the SEC, and NBC maybe wanting to grow. You don't even need the Mouse.

Love him or hate him, I do love that Bill Walton always refers to the P12 as "The Conference of Champions," and though the conference is down, it's a great, but true dig if you take the historical into play.

The prob with the PAC 12 playing so many non con games is they cant get other P5 teams to travel west. When you are trying to sell the best season of games possible, that’s a problem. And if you’re trying to sell regional fans on the West Coast, you need West Coast games.

I was a toss up between playing all 11 or playing 8. Now Im all in on all 11. F&ck the rest of the country. They dont care about the Pac 12. ESPN has manufactured a way to make one conference irrelevant. Why play games to cater to their needs? Play only West Coast teams, put a ton of pressure on kids to stay home, sign a tv deal that soaks the region with your product, move forward.

It used to be about bowl money. It’s a drop in the bucket now. It used to be about going to bowls. Kids will go to schools that don’t win shit if they have nice stuff. Spend the f&cking money and get the talent.

All this has been obvious for at least 6 or 7 years and should have been implemented since 2011, since one of the major shortcomings of Larry's stupid idea was absorbing the massive startup costs for a network while losing all of the opportunities for cross-promotion. The only thing that makes "sense," but was still flawed and detrimental, was focusing on the sunk cost presented by Larry's stupidity up front. Once it became obvious good distribution wasn't going to happen, they should have partnered with Fox or ESPN ASAP before they had to get desperate. Instead, Limo Larry wanted the comp and prestige from being a media company CEO. Your plan is sensible and was clearly the way to go from day one. It sucks that it now has to be addressed from a position of great weakness.

Yeha, but then Larry wouldn't have been able to call himself a media executive.

As I see it for a Pac-12 game to fill the 5:00 pm ABC time slot there must be two conditions present: (1) a "game of the week" matchup from the SEC, B1G, Big XII AND ACC is totally absent; AND (2) there is genuine "game of the week" matchup in the Pac-12. It's not a choice to sell out for late night windows. That's the market talking. The Pac-12 is not drawing eyeballs, and some other conference will be able to dish up a top 10 matchup.

Last edited:

So what happens when the demands are met with silence?

I personally see us partnering with Fox. The 3.30pm Saturday window to compete with ABC's new SEC partnership which starts in 2024 at the 5pm slot.

I'm personally fine with Friday night games in the 5pm window as long as we are getting prime exposure. I think it's better than those early kicks with an already crowded TV line up.

Pac-12 after dark (7pm) actually gets good ratings and east coast exposure.

I'm optimistic we can and will strike a good deal.

The conference really needs a partner on board to market the crap out of them. 11 conference games don't mean jack squat if they are 11 games no one cares about.

We have 12 programs and lots of unique things to market. More than any other conference. And the west coast culture is diverse in ways no other conference has.

The SEC is a bunch of southern schools. Not a ton of difference culturally between Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. LSU brings some Cajun to the party and A&M is a whole nother animal but there isn't much for a casual fan to sink their teeth into and take sides. Except for the fact that all these fan bases hate each other and the winner determines trailer park bragging rights. Players hate each other too. Makes for compelling TV.

The pac-12 should bring more of an edge to its programming. Accuse other conferences of being boring. This will especially trigger SEC fans and give the conference tons of free press (Finebaum has been the master of this for the SEC). Say anyone can prepare for the same boring style of football each and every week. Tout the diverse styles of football being played out here. And play up the stereotypes of each fanbase. These elements have always been present in college sports on some level, leaning into them is going to draw some attention.

My wife and I love college football any day it’s played, just don’t like the late night starts. No starts after 7:00pm please. Also, we both love Pac 12 games on Thursday and Friday eves.

My wife and I love college football any day it’s played, just don’t like the late night starts. No starts after 7:00pm please. Also, we both love Pac 12 games on Thursday and Friday eves.

I have no problem with the Cougs kicking off at 7:30 pm, for road games. The 7:30 kickoffs for home games are rough. I think the conference needs to own Friday or Thursday. Squeeze others out of the best time slot.

No one on the East Coast gives two shits about the PAC 12. Ive lived there. Im speaking from experience. No one in Texas gives a shit about the PAC 12 either. Im speaking from experience. Ive lived there too. The idea that the league is trying to market itself nationwide while doing such a piss poor job in its own backyard is stupid. Win your region, then go looking for more regions.

Play all 11. Create an us against them mentality of West Coast vs everyone else. Win tv ratings in your backyard. Stop caring about everyone else. They clearly dont care about the PAC 12. When bowl games come, run the score up and talk trash.

It is time for the PAC 12 to stop playing FCS and G5 teams. No one cares. It isnt helping the brand. If you want respect you have to beat other P5 teams. No more bowls against G5 teams.

Sure, become the only power conference in the modern era, if not ever, to not play G of 5 teams. Demand time slots that won't be available. Build 55,000-seat stadiums for teams who can't sell out 30,000 seats in an era of free or virtually free telecasts. Don't have a championship game since that somehow cheapens the "race" of winning a title, but that would have the same participants as a scenario with a championship game and which would have the effect of most teams being out of it early. Don't have 1/2 your teams play in bowls. Take your shot at a playoff slot from low to nil. Give other conferences the easiest path possible to declaring the Pac-12 an isolated minor league. Sell "west coast vs. everyone else" when "everyone else" are the areas that actually give a shit about football and have most of the population and who have, and in this scenario would have even more of, media attention, national attention, and championships. Have your best team be 9-2 most years, not having played a title game, and positioned as a #15 team in an outlier minor league of west coast granolas. Accelerate talent efflux and accelerate the relegation of the Pac-12 from Power 5 status.

Any more dumb as **** ideas, Biggs?

Last edited:
Sure, become the only power conference in the modern era, if not ever, to not play G of 5 teams. Demand time slots that won't be available. Build 55,000-seat stadiums for teams who can't sell out 30,000 seats in an era of free or virtually free telecasts. Don't have a championship game since that somehow cheapens the "race" of winning a title, but that would have the same participants as a scenario with a championship game and which would have the effect of most teams being out of it early. Don't have 1/2 your teams play in bowls. Take your shot at a playoff slot from low to nil. Give other conferences the easiest path possible to declaring the Pac-12 an isolated minor league. Sell "west coast vs. everyone else" when "everyone else" are the areas that actually give a shit about football and have most of the population and who have, and in this scenario would have even more of, media attention, national attention, and championships. Have your best team be 9-2 most years, not having played a title game, and positioned as a #15 team in an outlier minor league of west coast granolas. Accelerate talent efflux and accelerate the relegation of the Pac-12 from Power 5 status.

Any more dumb as **** ideas, Biggs?

I'm curious why Biggs has not demanded a complimentary luxury suite. For all those great ideas....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT