ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Switzer endorces Mike Leach

no it isn't, Miles has done a good job and they beat texas tech and played some good teams close.
You’re nuts. Kansas is, and always will be, a basketball school. The fan base is apathetic towards football and always will be. The money and attention all goes to basketball and always will. The football team has no history of success...it’s an afterthought. The facilities all suck. The stadium is a giant, old dump.

Kansas’ win totals since 2010: 3,2,1,3,3,0,2,1,3,3. Miles is doing a very “nice” job with their soon to be 3-9 record (1-8 in conference) this season.

Kansas is a way worse job than Arkansas.

Last edited:
knucklehead, the question was which current TEAM is worse ? not facilities, program, boosters, money, cafeteria, dormitory.....which TEAM ?

Arkansas is the worst major conference team in the country and it isn't close.

knucklehead, the question was which current TEAM is worse ? not facilities, program, boosters, money, cafeteria, dormitory.....which TEAM ?

Arkansas is the worst major conference team in the country and it isn't close.
Don’t call me a knucklehead again, hctib. They are both bad teams. Both teams suck. Kansas is always a bad team, Arkansas has hit a rough stretch recently. Easier to rebuild a team when you have a better tradition, a better (football) fan base, far superior facilities, better resources overall, etc. It matters and impacts which is a better job. That is more important to this thread and topic than which terrible team would beat the other terrible team if they lined up tomorrow.

Don’t be an ignorant knucklehead.

calm down stroker, youre going to stroke out on thanksgiving.

Arkansas would have a hard time beating a high school team right now. Not a good job to step into.
I think that anybody taking over Arkansas is inheriting a terrible roster and a major rebuild. Arkansas has the resources for a good coach to climb out of the hole relatively quickly. Arkansas can be a “final destination” for a good coach.

Kansas sucks and always will, sans a season here and there. It’s a basket school. No resources, no facilities. No good coach will stay there. Les Miles might get them close to mediocrity, but it’s a bad gig and he will bolt.

I suspect that’s because we still don’t know if the offer will be extended. Interest has to be both ways, and as good as Leach is and as excited as many people are at the thought of hiring him, there are just as many or more within a program who say no way in Hell.

How the heck do you pretend to know that Leach is really interested in Arkansas. From stuff you have read from Arkansas message board blow hards ? Stuff that you know personally ?

What Barry Switzer actually said >

“I don’t know if they can get him,” Switzer said. “I don’t know if he’d be interested in the job, but the best guy out there is Mike Leach."

I guess you are more plugged in than Switzer.

Reactions: mikalalas
I think that anybody taking over Arkansas is inheriting a terrible roster and a major rebuild. Arkansas has the resources for a good coach to climb out of the hole relatively quickly. Arkansas can be a “final destination” for a good coach.

Kansas sucks and always will, sans a season here and there. It’s a basket school. No resources, no facilities. No good coach will stay there. Les Miles might get them close to mediocrity, but it’s a bad gig and he will bolt.

As long as Saban is at Alabama, your ceiling is 4th place in the division. That gets you fired in four years.

Reactions: mikalalas
Tickets secondary resale market for this weeks games, ticket available
Arkansas $15
Miss St vs Miss (Egg Bowl) $12 (game today but price held steady all week)
Vandy @ Tenn $32
Louisville at Kentucky $29
Civil War $60
Territorial Cup $64
Apple Cup $59

Football is more important in the SEC

Reactions: mister noon
$5 to $6 Million per isn't mediocrity by any stretch of the imagination.
When Saban gets anointed the greatest coach in college football history (if he hasn't been already), will they be taking into consideration his salary or his results on the football field?

Maybe think a little. But I’ll play along. Take Saban out of the equation. What is Arkansas’s ceiling in the division?
We need to start over because your “logic” is weird.

With Saban at Alabama I would say Arkansas’ (realistic) ceiling is 2nd place. With him gone, their ceiling is 1st place. There is no reason why a good coach can’t have Arkansas competing on even footing with LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc. It will take a solid rebuild.

You seem to be implying either:

1.) with Saban around their ceiling is 4th; with him gone it goes up to 3rd. Or;
2.) with Saban around their ceiling is 4th; with him gone it goes up to 1st.

With Saban at Alabama I would say Arkansas’ (realistic) ceiling is 2nd place. With him gone, their ceiling is 1st place. There is no reason why a good coach can’t have Arkansas competing on even footing with LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc. It will take a solid rebuild.

1.) with Saban around their ceiling is 4th; with him gone it goes up to 3rd. Or;

2nd place would mean finishing ahead of LSU and Auburn. I don’t see Leach’s offense (and certainly his defense) having much success against those programs and their 4/5 star front 7’s.

2nd place would mean finishing ahead of LSU and Auburn. I don’t see Leach’s offense (and certainly his defense) having much success against those programs and their 4/5 star front 7’s.
NE has run a lot of Air Raid concepts for years and Tom Brady is known as the greatest QB in NFL history. It has not stopped NE from winning championships. It is all about recruiting, if Leach and his staff recruit at a high level, then no question, he and his offense can compete and win against those teams.

You shouldn’t call anyone’s logic weird.

It’s all hypothetical at this point. Maybe we’ll find out?

Even after Saban leaves, it's not like Bama will be begging coaches to take the gig. Unless they are on sanctions, they'll have a loaded roster and more than enough money to spend.

And it's not like LSU or Auburn are going anywhere.

I have a hard time predicting any (realistic) coach at Arkansas going much better than 8-4 on a regular basis.

Even after Saban leaves, it's not like Bama will be begging coaches to take the gig. Unless they are on sanctions, they'll have a loaded roster and more than enough money to spend.

I have a hard time predicting any (realistic) coach at Arkansas going much better than 8-4 on a regular basis.
Yeah, I have a hard time feeling that Leach’s style wouldn’t have a hard time in that division. Coach’s don’t think that way, though. Mike Leach certainly doesn’t think that way. He’s not wired like that. He believes in his style of play beyond the point of being arrogant and stubborn. He would likely view the Arkansas job as a challenge and a way to prove that his offense can win anywhere, against anybody.

Bama will take a dip, just like every other team does after a top flight coach leaves.

NE has run a lot of Air Raid concepts for years and Tom Brady is known as the greatest QB in NFL history. It has not stopped NE from winning championships. It is all about recruiting, if Leach and his staff recruit at a high level, then no question, he and his offense can compete and win against those teams.

Nee England has incorporated some air raid concepts into their passing game, but their offense is nothing like Leach’s. Not even a little bit similar. They lean heavily on their running game, they use a traditional fullback, and use multiple tight end sets.

Nee England has incorporated some air raid concepts into their passing game, but their offense is nothing like Leach’s. Not even a little bit similar. They lean heavily on their running game, they use a traditional fullback, and use multiple tight end sets.
I’ve seen New England throw it 15 straight times. I’ve also seen them run it 10 straight times. Belichek doesn’t care how they move the ball. Leach could be as brilliant offensively as Belichek if he weren’t so fascinated with the forward pass. If he had no qualms about running it 5-6 straight times this offense would go from really good to virtually unstoppable.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
The position that is probably off the wall but could see happening at some point for Leach is the Jacksonville Jags. Their fans are having a major melt down on the benching of Minshew , which they do not need as they have always had an attendance problem. Their owner is more of marketing guy than football guy and he has to see the appeal Minshew has had to a historically apathetic fan base. If you bring in Leach you have ignited the whole deal. Kingsbury and Murrary are not tearing up the league but they are putting butts in the seats. And as Florida friend brought to my attention, Tom Coughlin's agent when he was a coach is now Leach's agent. That is the type of deal Leach should look at if he ever leaves WSU not that Arkansas suicide mission.
That is interesting, and he has proximity to the Keys and an interesting new challenge/opportunity and a team with little historical success (low expectations) desperately in need of excitement to get his old QB back on track. Dark horse but actually far more promising than Arkansas et al

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
it would be cool because the NFL would take care of getting a good DC in place, and if Kingsbury can run the airraid in Arizona, Leach could do it better in Jacksonville. Jacksonville has been a bore on offense since DelRio, a little better now but …….

ive read arkancide(props to bill and Hillary) is leaning towards Fuente from Va Tech. If Leach isn't announced after the Apple Cup he isn't going to Arkansas imo.

Fuente is a dud hire, about like Houston Nutt for them.

ive read arkancide(props to bill and Hillary) is leaning towards Fuente from Va Tech. If Leach isn't announced after the Apple Cup he isn't going to Arkansas imo.

Fuente is a dud hire, about like Houston Nutt for them.

What would make him leave Va Tech? Is there that much of a difference in pay?

yes Arkansas has more money and better facilities and historically was a good program, it wasn't that long ago petrino had them ranked #5
Fuente will get chewed up, he might win 5-6 games a year

yes Arkansas has more money and better facilities and historically was a good program, it wasn't that long ago petrino had them ranked #5
Fuente will get chewed up, he might win 5-6 games a year
You just got done talking about how none of that matters, when comparing Kansas and Arkansas. Now, when comparing Virginia Tech (a markedly better team and job than Kansas) to Arkansas, suddenly facilities, history and money DO matter.

You’re all over the place.

It’s sounds like there could be 2 other SEC coaching vacancies after this weekend:

Mississippi State
Missouri

No idea if either of those schools would be interested in Mike Leach.

i was comparing the teams-that play on the field-between Kansas and Arkansas.

Now im comparing the money each program can pay a coach, and the facilities-between Arkansas and Va Tech.

Got it Stroker ? too much cranberry sauce is turning your brain to mush

i was comparing the teams-that play on the field-between Kansas and Arkansas.

Now im comparing the money each program can pay a coach, and the facilities-between Arkansas and Va Tech.

Got it Stroker ? too much cranberry sauce is turning your brain to mush

Roy....I'm not sure what you are thinking here. KU is going to finish 3-9 this year and will have failed to reach 4 wins for the 10th straight season. Their record over the past decade is 21-99 and they have a 6-42 stretch stinking up the middle of that. In the same time frame, Arkansas went 58-67 with a pair of 10+ win seasons. Any attempt to paint the KU job as better than Arkansas is just fuggin' stupid.

However, it is obvious that Les Miles has had a positive impact on the KU program and everyone in the conference has seen the change. You say that Leach would be a fool for looking at Arkansas.....but then you use a program with a first year coach as your argument for that. You talk about mush for brains.......but you are hanging out in a glass house right now.

Finally, Leach took over the WSU job that was arguably worse than either Arkansas or KU right at this moment in time. He's not one to shy away from a challenge.

I don't think Leach is going to be the next Arkansas coach, but you're talking smack in a way that doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 32eekortS
I think you are highly confused. I never discussed the Kansas program or the Kansas coaching job, no idea what you are talking about.

I said the Arkansas football team on the field-the 22 starters, were the worst in any major conferece. Stroker ace said no Kansas is a worse team. I then stated Miles has done a pretty good job with them and they beat texas tech, and played other teams closely. Again we are talking about the on the field players/team which is worse. I say Kansas would beat Arkansas.

Obviously Arkansas is a better program/facilities/history/money/job

I was discussing that their team is so bad it is a deterrent to some coaches going there, a dumpster fire as you are going to suffer a lot of losses your first two years and have to play in the sec west.
In fact i know several coaches turned them down.

I think you are highly confused. I never discussed the Kansas program or the Kansas coaching job, no idea what you are talking about.

I said the Arkansas football team on the field-the 22 starters, were the worst in any major conferece. Stroker ace said no Kansas is a worse team. I then stated Miles has done a pretty good job with them and they beat texas tech, and played other teams closely. Again we are talking about the on the field players/team which is worse. I say Kansas would beat Arkansas.

Obviously Arkansas is a better program/facilities/history/money/job

I was discussing that their team is so bad it is a deterrent to some coaches going there, a dumpster fire as you are going to suffer a lot of losses your first two years and have to play in the sec west.
In fact i know several coaches turned them down.

So you're discussing how Kansas played this year....but you aren't discussing the Kansas program? Ummmmmmm...........uhhhhhhh...........ok

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT