ADVERTISEMENT

Been an expat for 10 years now

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
And every once on a while I'll find something that makes me miss home aside from special occasions. This tribute to Rainier Beer from one of the last local bands of my youth still chugging along did it. Music won't be to everyone's taste, but if you're over 35 you'll get the video

Reactions: froropmkr72
And every once on a while I'll find something that makes me miss home aside from special occasions. This tribute to Rainier Beer from one of the last local bands of my youth still chugging along did it. Music won't be to everyone's taste, but if you're over 35 you'll get the video
Thanks for this. Love AIC. Still putting out good music. Not as good as their hey day with Layne (RIP), as his vocals were amazing. Still, much better than what is called music nowadays.

The Rainier beer reference was great.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Thanks for this. Love AIC. Still putting out good music. Not as good as their hey day with Layne (RIP), as his vocals were amazing. Still, much better than what is called music nowadays.

I did not know these guys were from Seattle. In the video, did the beer creature think they were drinking his/her spawn/beer eggs and got pissed?

I worked with a marketing guy years ago who said he was the one who invented the Rainier Beer (Raindeer?) ads.

I did not know these guys were from Seattle. In the video, did the beer creature think they were drinking his/her spawn/beer eggs and got pissed?

I worked with a marketing guy years ago who said he was the one who invented the Rainier Beer (Raindeer?) ads.
Yes, they were local guys. They were part of the music explosion with Peal Jam, Nirvana, Candlebox, etc. So much great music. I was more of a rocker than listening to pop or rap.

I think the bottle was pissed, as he kicked the plant as he left.

Yes, they were local guys. They were part of the music explosion with Peal Jam, Nirvana, Candlebox, etc. So much great music. I was more of a rocker than listening to pop or rap.

I think the bottle was pissed, as he kicked the plant as he left.

Uhhh sorry but I don't necessarily agree with your list associated with "great music".

At least around here. Sincerely,

The Wilson sisters and Jimi Hendrix

Uhhh sorry but I don't necessarily agree with your list associated with "great music".

Grunge and the bands that made it huge around the world doesn’t negate or take anything away from what Jimi or Heart accomplished, many of those bands likely would have cited them as influential in their early years

Love Heart and Hendrix as well. They came before. The Puget Sound area has long produced great music. Queensryche, Soundgarden, etc. I don't think that Ann and Nancy would disagree.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
One of the coolest things I saw happened back in the 80's when the Wenatchee Apple Blossom Festival was still rocking. The Rainier Beers ran the parade route during the parade. Had some guy trying to herd them along the way. Pretty awesome.

Only thing greater is if they did it before Mickey Rooney died. Rock is dead folks. All there is is the memories.

Reactions: earldacoug
Only thing greater is if they did it before Mickey Rooney died. Rock is dead folks. All there is is the memories.
Unfortunately, music is in a dead spell right now. What is popular is generally bad. There is a rock band that is making some noise in the music world called Greta Van Fleet. People either love them or hate them. I am in the positive group.

Unfortunately, music is in a dead spell right now. What is popular is generally bad. There is a rock band that is making some noise in the music world called Greta Van Fleet. People either love them or hate them. I am in the positive group.
Saw them on SNL. Reminded me of the Jonas Bros

Saw them on SNL. Reminded me of the Jonas Bros
That is the first I've heard that comparison. They have mostly been compared to Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant likes them. Paul McCartney just said nice things about them.

That is the first I've heard that comparison. They have mostly been compared to Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant likes them. Paul McCartney just said nice things about them.
Didn’t say I don’t like them. Maybe it says more for my appreciation of Kevin, Joe and Nick.

For those of us that grew up with the rock music from the 60's and 70's, the dearth (or death?) of rock music is sad. There were SO many groups and solo artists making good music back then. Just take country rock - Allman Bros, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Elvin Bishop, young Charlie Daniels (not today's redneck), Steve Earle, Blackfoot, ZZ Top, I know I'm missing several. Today? I don't know of any.

Nowadays any group that still has an electric guitar is put on a pedestal, where 40 years ago they would have been nobodies. There is a reason that these old bands, literally old and grey, are still on the road doing concerts. Nobody filled in after them. The bad news is that very few still make music. Now my favorite band, the unappreciated UFO, released albums in 2015 and 2017. That's probably it, as they are on their final, 50th(!) anniversary tour. Almost all other old bands are still playing their 70's hits. Maybe 80's.

This reminds me of motorcycles. Back in the 70's, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki had full line ups of street and dirt bikes. Yamaha had the 125, 200, 250, RD 350/400, XS 400, 500, 650, 750/850 and 1100 street bikes. I owned 3 of these at one time or another. Now the only road bikes you can get are Harley's and Harley takeoffs.

Van Fleet is a Led Zeppelin tribute band that won't admit it's a Led Zeppelin tribute band

Reactions: ATACFD
No, not the Jonas Bros. I just appreciate groups like this and Cage The Elephant who carry on some true rock. Just saying....there's a fraction of young rock groups compared to the 90's and before as you well know. Thanks for posting this...you give up looking after a while. before passing away...Petty used Cage as an example of a rock group who could keep things going, but he could of named a hundred back in the day.

Van Fleet is a Led Zeppelin tribute band that won't admit it's a Led Zeppelin tribute band
They do original music. Not a tribute band. They do admit they they are influenced by them. Vocals are similar to Plant, but different.

No, not the Jonas Bros. I just appreciate groups like this and Cage The Elephant who carry on some true rock. Just saying....there's a fraction of young rock groups compared to the 90's and before as you well know. Thanks for posting this...you give up looking after a while. before passing away...Petty used Cage as an example of a rock group who could keep things going, but he could of named a hundred back in the day.
Unfortunately, the "Elephant " in the room is that there are few bands that are scouted nowadays.

By the way earlier this year I saw a Hendrix documentary and concert regarding a festival he headlined in Georgia a few months before he died. It probably wasn't his greatest performance, but he was still amazing.

A big part of the problem is the slow death of live music in small venues. Bands don't have a chance to develop anymore, learn to play together and figure out how what they're writing and playing will go over with audiences that may not be there specifically to see them. It's like stand up, everybody has to be terrible before they're good, and rock bands don't get many chances to be terrible anymore
In addition to fewer bands trying to make rock and the industry making much less as a whole.

A big part of the problem is the slow death of live music in small venues. Bands don't have a chance to develop anymore, learn to play together and figure out how what they're writing and playing will go over with audiences that may not be there specifically to see them. It's like stand up, everybody has to be terrible before they're good, and rock bands don't get many chances to be terrible anymore
The music industry truly is an industry now. As in assembly line. Figure out what's popular, find something that looks similar. Use technology to tweak it. Cover weaknesses with synthesized music. Shorten the skirts, wear shirts a size too small. Record the same song with a few different words until people start to catch on, then repeat the process.

There are still Coldplay, and good new stuff like Chainsmokers, Imagine Dragons, and songs like Thunder, Something Just like this, DJ Snake Turn Down the What

Granted a lot of the new stuff, is Hip Hop, R&B, Dance, Techno, Boy bands, etc.

But there is still good new stuff.

And also there is still songs like Centuries, Fall Out Boys, that is a good rock.

I also didnt think so, until I started DJ ing.

For those of us that grew up with the rock music from the 60's and 70's, the dearth (or death?) of rock music is sad. There were SO many groups and solo artists making good music back then. Just take country rock - Allman Bros, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Elvin Bishop, young Charlie Daniels (not today's redneck), Steve Earle, Blackfoot, ZZ Top, I know I'm missing several. Today? I don't know of any.

Nowadays any group that still has an electric guitar is put on a pedestal, where 40 years ago they would have been nobodies. There is a reason that these old bands, literally old and grey, are still on the road doing concerts. Nobody filled in after them. The bad news is that very few still make music. Now my favorite band, the unappreciated UFO, released albums in 2015 and 2017. That's probably it, as they are on their final, 50th(!) anniversary tour. Almost all other old bands are still playing their 70's hits. Maybe 80's.

This reminds me of motorcycles. Back in the 70's, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki had full line ups of street and dirt bikes. Yamaha had the 125, 200, 250, RD 350/400, XS 400, 500, 650, 750/850 and 1100 street bikes. I owned 3 of these at one time or another. Now the only road bikes you can get are Harley's and Harley takeoffs.

While I semi share your sentiment, having liked the 80's, 90's hardrock, buttrock, glam hair metal rock.

And having liked bands like AC/DC, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Van Halen, Great White, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Poison, Guns N Roses, Firehouse, Queen, Queensryche, Metallica, Nirvana, Journey, Foreigner, Ratt, White Lion, Slaughter, Skid Row, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Kiss, sure I am forgetting some.

There has been newer stuff, that has been good.

Creed, Linkin Park(2000's), Cranberries, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons.

After 1998,99,2000,2001,02,03,04,05,etc, your semi right, in that there has only been a couple, few, some good rock.

But your overexaggerating when you say there has not been any good rock since the 70's, 80's, 90's.

Last edited:
While I semi share your sentiment, having liked the 80's, 90's hardrock, buttrock, glam hair metal rock.

But your overexaggerating when you say there has not been any good rock since the 70's, 80's, 90's.

Well actually I don't believe I said that. But the quantity of good rock - or good music of any genre, is miniscule compared to the good old days.

Just curious:

Expat on purpose or for work/ other reason?

Where at?

How do you like it?

(if all that's not too personal...)

I liked pretty much everything in the '70's except heavy metal. Country rock, pop rock, funk, blues, jazz, soul, disco....there was incredible variety. In the mid/late '70's you could hit a popular FM station and get Boston, Bee Gees, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Billy Joel, Rick James, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Allman Brothers, Kansas and Donna Summer on consecutive songs. It was relatively easy to find Bird or something bluesy, and if you picked up the King Biscuit Flour Hour you never knew what you might get. Now unless I plug into a Sirius theme channel I'm doing well to get a combo Country Rock/Celt band song mix with some bluegrassy stuff. I do take issue with the "Rock is Dead" comment; it seems to me that the pendulum has reached its end and is starting back in that direction. But it hasn't picked up a lot of speed yet.

Well actually I don't believe I said that. But the quantity of good rock - or good music of any genre, is miniscule compared to the good old days.
Agree with this 100%. There are some of the bands of today that mikalalas listed that I am not as high on as he. I have loved rock music from every decade starting in the 60's (The Beatles, Stones, The Who, Cream, Hendrix, etc.) until the last decade. Shows like American Idle, and The Voice are so formulaic and stifle good music, as so do record companies.

I liked pretty much everything in the '70's except heavy metal. Country rock, pop rock, funk, blues, jazz, soul, disco....there was incredible variety. In the mid/late '70's you could hit a popular FM station and get Boston, Bee Gees, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Billy Joel, Rick James, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Allman Brothers, Kansas and Donna Summer on consecutive songs. It was relatively easy to find Bird or something bluesy, and if you picked up the King Biscuit Flour Hour you never knew what you might get. Now unless I plug into a Sirius theme channel I'm doing well to get a combo Country Rock/Celt band song mix with some bluegrassy stuff. I do take issue with the "Rock is Dead" comment; it seems to me that the pendulum has reached its end and is starting back in that direction. But it hasn't picked up a lot of speed yet.
It has been on life support. Hopefully, bands like GVF will be the start of the renaissance and more young people will take their lead. There are many young people who do enjoy older music because of Guitar Hero.

It has been on life support. Hopefully, bands like GVF will be the start of the renaissance and more young people will take their lead. There are many young people who do enjoy older music because of Guitar Hero.
Check out reddit to discover new music. Find a subreddit for the genre you're looking for and try some of the bands.

Used to be Pandora would play a bunch of newer/ unknown stuff, but they are all monetized now.

I don't have the time to sift through soundcloud to find good music, but I hear there is good stuff on there too.

No one is doing AC/DC style rock anymore, but there is new music if you can handle it a bit harder.

Reactions: mikalalas
Check out reddit to discover new music. Find a subreddit for the genre you're looking for and try some of the bands.

Used to be Pandora would play a bunch of newer/ unknown stuff, but they are all monetized now.

I don't have the time to sift through soundcloud to find good music, but I hear there is good stuff on there too.

No one is doing AC/DC style rock anymore, but there is new music if you can handle it a bit harder.
It takes work to find new stuff, and with a fulltime job and kids and the unfortunate tendency among people over 30 to deem anything new as crap because it doesn't fit with tastes that were established 15 years earlier, well you get a lot of yelling at clouds like Loyal

Reactions: mikalalas
I like a lot of classic rock, some punk, old school thrash metal is good, and more niche indy type stuff (shoegaze etc) can be good too. I find with anything a bit different I have to give a record half a dozen listens before I can really say if it's good or not.

Agree with this 100%. There are some of the bands of today that mikalalas listed that I am not as high on as he. I have loved rock music from every decade starting in the 60's (The Beatles, Stones, The Who, Cream, Hendrix, etc.) until the last decade. Shows like American Idle, and The Voice are so formulaic and stifle good music, as so do record companies.
Cream. I used to think that Black Sabbath was pretty unique. My guitar teacher told me this group he grew up with called Cream. Very dark and really cool.

Cream. I used to think that Black Sabbath was pretty unique. My guitar teacher told me this group he grew up with called Cream. Very dark and really cool.
Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton. The first supergroup. Bruce is noted to be one of the best rock bassists. Baker is noted to be one of the best drummers. Clapton is noted to be one of the best guitarists.

Bruce and Baker constantly argued and that lead to the break up of the band. Interestingly enough, Bruce's son, Baker's son, and Clapton's nephew, travel the country leading a Cream tribute band.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT