ADVERTISEMENT

Been an expat for 10 years now

David Gilmour donated his guitar collection to combat climate change. His guitars were auctioned off and it raised over $21 million.
I was totally interested after hearing about it. The calculator comes out and 120 guitars at maybe $50,000 on average...6 million tops. $21 million dollars for charity. Several people stepped up big time on this. $175,000 average. WOW!

This isn't on you, but I hate the term "blue eyed soul". Not often does the white community get to claim victim of overt racism, but that would be one of the times.

Second, whenever I hear Micheal Mcdonald I think of the scene from "40 Year old virgin":

Not to start an argument, but the terms roots are not exactly clear. Some say it was used by white executives to promote white artists who had a "naturally" soulful sounding voice. It really is a rabbit hole. That's why I'd never use that phrase. Soulful voice is soulful voice.

Not to start an argument, but the terms roots are not exactly clear. Some say it was used by white executives to promote white artists who had a "naturally" soulful sounding voice. It really is a rabbit hole. That's why I'd never use that phrase. Soulful voice is soulful voice.
White people can be racist to white people.

Either way, agree that soulful voice is soulful, regardless.

White people can be racist to white people.

Either way, agree that soulful voice is soulful, regardless.
i don't see it terms of racism, but people trying to stay within their comfort zone. I've had black friends who never accepted Lionel Ritchie as a solo artist. Loved The Commodores, but loved songs like "Hello".

I was totally interested after hearing about it. The calculator comes out and 120 guitars at maybe $50,000 on average...6 million tops. $21 million dollars for charity. Several people stepped up big time on this. $175,000 average. WOW!
The most expensive guitar went for something like a little under 3 1/2 million if I remember correctly. It was one he used for some of their greatest hits.

i don't see it terms of racism, but people trying to stay within their comfort zone. I've had black friends who never accepted Lionel Ritchie as a solo artist. Loved The Commodores, but loved songs like "Hello".
I saw The Commodores in concert. I thought that Ritchie's music was much better with The Commodores than when he went on his own (I loved "Hello" as well). That occurs with a lot of artists that are in bands and then go solo. They become more poppy than they had been. Peter Cetera and Kenny Loggins are a couple of examples.

Syd Barrett. David Gilmour personally made sure that Barrett got royalies from the earlier Floyd songs. Gilmour is a good man.
I’m hoping like hell he does one more tour before he retires for good—I have not been fortunate enough to see him/Floyd live, so not many places I wouldn’t go to see that brilliant musician on stage once before I die.

I saw The Commodores in concert. I thought that Ritchie's music was much better with The Commodores than when he went on his own (I loved "Hello" as well). That occurs with a lot of artists that are in bands and then go solo. They become more poppy than they had been. Peter Cetera and Kenny Loggins are a couple of examples.
Saw the last tour Peter did with Chicago. This guy fronting would of been incredible.

Kath and mates at 23 years of age. Seraphine on drums...perfect energy.

and if you're going to cover a band....make it as good as the original's best performance. Does this make me a Putin lover?

Last edited:
Reactions: ATACFD
Saw the last tour Peter did with Chicago. This guy fronting would of been incredible.

Kath and mates at 23 years of age. Seraphine on drums...perfect energy.

and if you're going to cover a band....make it as good as the original's best performance. Does this make me a Putin lover?

Just great music. Terry Kath was another whose life ended way to early. He was a great and even underrated guitarist. His lead on 25 or 6 to 4 is amazing.

I’m hoping like hell he does one more tour before he retires for good—I have not been fortunate enough to see him/Floyd live, so not many places I wouldn’t go to see that brilliant musician on stage once before I die.
I agree. I haven't seen him live either. I would plan a vacation around seeing him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT