ADVERTISEMENT

Been an expat for 10 years now

Oh gawd - Phish is just noise. A buddy of mine has all their albums. He made me sit through some of it once. Sounded like 8 guys in a room blowing and strumming on instruments that they had never seen or played before. No thanks.
If you want "just noise" I give you....Ween

Only album you’ll ever need
220px-Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

I have been meaning to bring Floyd into this thread. Yesterday I was on Youtube and watched a video of Shine on you Crazy Diamond with David Crosby and Graham Nash singing backup vocals. Gilmour is not flashy, but his sound is just amazing.

Oh gawd - Phish is just noise. A buddy of mine has all their albums. He made me sit through some of it once. Sounded like 8 guys in a room blowing and strumming on instruments that they had never seen or played before. No thanks.
I have never been a Phish fan either. They just do not move me, but I do respect that for those who do love them, they put on a long show.

I have been meaning to bring Floyd into this thread. Yesterday I was on Youtube and watched a video of Shine on you Crazy Diamond with David Crosby and Graham Nash singing backup vocals. Gilmour is not flashy, but his sound is just amazing.
It’s a shame Waters was such a controlling ass...his lyrics and DG’s guitar had a lot left to give the world.

Btw, if you haven’t watched the Live in Gdansk performance, you’re missing out.

Hard to believe that Bon Scott has been dead for 39 years. I really don't listen to post-Bon AC/DC. Brian Johnson doesn't sing, he just screams.

Speaking of AC/DC, let's not forget Australian rock bands in general. Not a big INXS fan, but they were OK. My personal favorite? The Divinyls. When I think about them I touch.......oh never mind. And of course hard rockers Men at Work and Air Supply! :D
Do you remember The Little River Band and Silverchair? Both excellent bands. I did like Men at Work's "Down Under". Regarding Air Supply, too soft for me, but I do have to say that Russell Hitchcock has an outstanding voice.

It’s a shame Waters was such a controlling ass...his lyrics and DG’s guitar had a lot left to give the world.

Btw, if you haven’t watched the Live in Gdansk performance, you’re missing out.
For those whose formative years were in the Seattle area, did anybody go to the Seattle Center to watch Laser Floyd at the Laserium? That was so much fun.

Also, yes Waters was an egotistical jerk. Great lyricist, but he was not a good guy.

For those whose formative years were in the Seattle area, did anybody go to the Seattle Center to watch Laser Floyd at the Laserium? That was so much fun.
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!! I usually wasn't of a clear mind either.
No just Laser Floyd..........Laser everything. I feel sorry for anyone that didn’t experience this.

Do you remember The Little River Band and Silverchair? Both excellent bands. I did like Men at Work's "Down Under". Regarding Air Supply, too soft for me, but I do have to say that Russell Hitchcock has an outstanding voice.

Saw Little River Band in Beasley ... it was a good show

Reactions: Coug1990
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!! I usually wasn't of a clear mind either.
No just Laser Floyd..........Laser everything. I feel sorry for anyone that didn’t experience this.
So true. I wasn't either. I went to a few shows. I can still picture the song "Cars" by Gary Numan.

Reactions: kougkurt

Also, yes Waters was an egotistical jerk. Great lyricist, but he was not a good guy.
Laser Floyd The Wall will be forever etched in my brain

What year was that? I still think that "It's a long way there" is a classic.
Best part it was free. A good friend of mine invited a date, then the night before an old girlfriend from the west side was over visiting friends and he ran into her. He at that moment decided to ditch date number 1. The only problem by a chance meeting date number 1 ran into date number 2 later that Friday eve, and they decided both to ditch him and not take his calls. So 20 minutes before tbe warm up band comes on I get a call .

Best part it was free. A good friend of mine invited a date, then the night before an old girlfriend from the west side was over visiting friends and he ran into her. He at that moment decided to ditch date number 1. The only problem by a chance meeting date number 1 ran into date number 2 later that Friday eve, and they decided both to ditch him and not take his calls. So 20 minutes before tbe warm up band comes on I get a call .
Good story. I am sure he had more fun during the concert with you. After the concert is probably a different story.

I found this very timely. Interview with Vivien Campbell (guitar for Def Leppard), he says that the big problem with music now is that bands have no balls.

"Bands who come out in this day and age, a lot of 'em, what is missing… I mean, they have talent, they can write songs, they can sing, they can play, but they don't have balls. And you listen to something back from the '90s or the '80s or '70s, there was something earthy about it, there was an intent you had to have. "

Strong words from a man named Vivien, but I think he hits the mark.

https://loudwire.com/def-leppard-vivian-campbell-new-bands-no-balls/

I go back a few years in Rock n Roll history, but saw Avenged Sevenfold and thought they held up pretty well to the Classic Rockers.
I can't really do Avenged Sevenfold. They felt like a bad blend of hairband and nu metal to me.

I found this very timely. Interview with Vivien Campbell (guitar for Def Leppard), he says that the big problem with music now is that bands have no balls.

"Bands who come out in this day and age, a lot of 'em, what is missing… I mean, they have talent, they can write songs, they can sing, they can play, but they don't have balls. And you listen to something back from the '90s or the '80s or '70s, there was something earthy about it, there was an intent you had to have. "

Strong words from a man named Vivien, but I think he hits the mark.

https://loudwire.com/def-leppard-vivian-campbell-new-bands-no-balls/
I think there's something to that. Whatever you're singing about has to come from someplace "genuine." It doesn't have to be political but sometimes it is (Rage Against the Machine, for example, or Bad Religion). Sometimes the words themselves don't even necessarily matter that much (Nirvana). And the music itself has to trigger an emotional reaction from the audience for them to 'connect' with it and invest their energy into it. I'm a big believer in that, which is why I love both Nirvana and Pink Floyd. They have totally different approaches, but they both give you something to feel.

Reactions: Coug1990
Saw Little River Band in Beasley ... it was a good show
My two Beasley shows were old school acts. I saw Bob Dylan with one of my best friends, and took my mom to the Mom's Weekend performance by Elton John because she was a fan. Both were fun, but my best concert experience was floor seats for Pearl Jam at Key. Chili Peppers opened and knocked out my hearing before the main event had even begun

Super group idea. 1980...bring Jack Bruce out of retirement...he was 37. Tony Iommi on lead guitar, Bill Ward on drums, Bruce and John Paul Jones could play anything and Plant on vocals. I'd be loud and dark like an ominous thunder cloud.Bruce could sing a couple of leads and background for Plant. Sabbath was still making music with Dio on lead during that time and it shouldn't of happened. Dio was better by himself and Geezer was a little bit of a control freak.
When I hear Dio I just think Heavy Metal Freddie Mercury, at least in terms of his voice (not stage presence, obviously)

Reactions: froropmkr72
And every once on a while I'll find something that makes me miss home aside from special occasions. This tribute to Rainier Beer from one of the last local bands of my youth still chugging along did it. Music won't be to everyone's taste, but if you're over 35 you'll get the video

When I was just a kid, an older cousin introduced me to this guy named Neil Young. "Harvest" and "After the Gold Rush" were burned indelibly into my soul. Best gift ever. Saw another post in this thread on Charlie Daniels. I was backstage at one of his shows years ago. Saw him down three Bud Lights in about 20 seconds. He then went back on stage for "Devil Went Down to Georgia."

Last edited:
Reactions: kougkurt
I was fortunate enough to fly down to the Rose Bowl in 1994 to see Floyd. Met the audio engineer. It was literally surround sound. Not even 5.1 They had the normal towers on the stage but then they had 6 (or was it 8?) towers that were independent of each other that surrounded the Bowl, up on the top of the bowl.

Incredible. I actually have a Floyd tattoo. An image mixing the prism, an image portion of Momentary Lapse, The Pulse and The Wall.

Believe it or not, that group got me through some pretty rough times.

Reactions: ATACFD and Coug1990
For my money, the Foo Fighters are doing it right and carrying the torch for mainstream rock. Wasting Light, mixed in analog, is one of the best albums of the last 20 years imho. (Here is a link to them performing the entire album from Dave's home studio. They aired this on YT live and for free shortly after the album dropped.) Their latest, Concrete and Gold is pretty solid as well. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as far as the definition of guitar and drum driven rock and roll, they are currently setting the standard.

(edited to add - I remember first hearing Wasting Light when my I was going to the store with my wife and decided to stay in the car and listen while she shopped. Its one of those moments when you are in disbelief about what you are hearing, as in "is this really THAT good? EVERY song?" I was gobsmacked.)

Had a chance to see Roger Waters ($200 a seat... for nose bleeds) but heard he was Trump bashing at all of his shows. Like, a 20 minute diatribe with video. F that. Don't care about Trump or that he doesn't like him, I wasn't going to pay $200 to listen to a Brit give political discourse.

My only Beasley experience was Metallica for 3 straight hours back in '92. They broke off from the Monsters of Rock tour to do Beasley by themselves and it was insane. Prefunk at the AGR house, quarters with hard A, some chick with a boa constrictor wandering campus, not being able to hear or move my head for a week afterwards.

Last edited:
For my money, the Foo Fighters are doing it right and carrying the torch for mainstream rock.

My only Beasley experience was Metallica for 3 straight hours back in '92. They broke off from the Monsters of Rock tour to do Beasley by themselves and it was insane. Prefunk at the AGR house, quarters with hard A, some chick with a boa constrictor wandering campus, not being able to hear or move my head for a week afterwards.

Yeah, I like what little I've heard of Foo Fighters. One big complaint I have about much of the recent "rock" music is that often you can't really understand the words and the instruments are just kind of mushed together as sound. Granted I don't have fancy hi def audio equipment in my car or house, But I like to be able to understand most of the words and hear the guitar and drums and keyboards individually. That is why I don't care for Nirvana (much) or Pearl Jam or other grungey bands. Although I don't hate either - I don't turn 'em off when they come on - just wouldn't buy the albums.

Beasley - if you go to the Beasley webpage, they list all the acts that have played there over the decades. A really impressive list for little old Pullman. The opening of the Spokane Coliseum stole a lot of that thunder though (It's always Spokane's fault :rolleyes:), now big acts only show up on Mom or Dad's weekend. If then......

I was fortunate enough to fly down to the Rose Bowl in 1994 to see Floyd. Met the audio engineer. It was literally surround sound. Not even 5.1 They had the normal towers on the stage but then they had 6 (or was it 8?) towers that were independent of each other that surrounded the Bowl, up on the top of the bowl.

Incredible. I actually have a Floyd tattoo. An image mixing the prism, an image portion of Momentary Lapse, The Pulse and The Wall.

I believe it, Floyd is very therapeutic

That's what music is all about. Most epic concert ever. People told me about it. Didn't understand it until 30 minutes in. Started getting pretty emotional, looked around a bit and a whole of people had tears in their eyes. If an artist makes songs that "you have to stay away from" at times...it's the sign of great artistry. Wish You Were Here....I can only listen to under the right circumstances....it's WAY too powerful.

When I was just a kid, an older cousin introduced me to this guy named Neil Young. "Harvest" and "After the Gold Rush" were burned indelibly into my soul. Best gift ever. Saw another post in this thread on Charlie Daniels. I was backstage at one of his shows years ago. Saw him down three Bud Lights in about 20 seconds. He then went back on stage for "Devil Went Down to Georgia."
One of my favorites. He wanted to give it to Synard, but certain things had happened.

Reactions: Coug95man2
That's what music is all about. Most epic concert ever. People told me about it. Didn't understand it until 30 minutes in. Started getting pretty emotional, looked around a bit and a whole of people had tears in their eyes. If an artist makes songs that "you have to stay away from" at times...it's the sign of great artistry. Wish You Were Here....I can only listen to under the right circumstances....it's WAY too powerful.
Amen Brother. I get that some music is just fun, nothing too deep. Much of the pop stuff is of that ilk. I believe it's important to listen to that stuff, as well! Live too deep into the well, you get stuck in that dark and lonely world. Being light has its place.

But at it's core, music should move you, should tell a story that connects.

To help you think, smile, cry, to dance, to pray... to live.

My life wouldn't be the same without music.

EDIT: Might I add, this is what many of you are speaking to, regarding "today's music". There is no depth. There is too much "light" stuff... not nearly enough "deep" stuff. And I'll add a bit more, since I'm down this rabbit hole... It isn't just the topic of the song. It's the production value, it's the talent behind the instruments. It's a mixture of depth of topic and depth of talent, both by instrument and production.

Reactions: random soul
To help you think, smile, cry, to dance, to pray... to live. Very, very nice. Yes, there's a time for "pop stuff" . Van Halen used to bring out that "happy go lucky" vibe that was missing in the early 2000's. Sometimes we don't appreciates these things until they've been gone for a long time. Like the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson himself who endured way more than the vast majority of us...yet...reflected on this the most.

Reactions: random soul
On that point, some of the lightening rods are

1. phish ( I can't take more than 5 minutes)
2. rush ( I can't take more that 5 seconds but I can see the talent in that 5 seconds)
3. The band. They are one of my favorites but it always amazes me to see how many people that love Americana hate them.
The weight was immediate....even as child. The Band...I'm referring to.

Last edited:
Can't stand this guy. Never thought of him as "rock", yet he dominated the grammys in the rock category every year.

I can appreciate him and why people like his music, and I understand his position in music history, just not a fan.
Are we talking about the "father of grunge"?

Are we talking about the "father of grunge"?
Another thing that irked me... was it because he was the first one to look like a hobo on purpose?

Look, I get it. My heroes all love him. Hes an icon. A legend.

Just not for me. All that warbling. Dear God, the warbling.

FWIW, the Godfather is overrated as well.

Another thing that irked me... was it because he was the first one to look like a hobo on purpose?

Look, I get it. My heroes all love him. Hes an icon. A legend.

Just not for me. All that warbling. Dear God, the warbling.

FWIW, the Godfather is overrated as well.
Name me an artist who could write these lyrics at 25 that are this meaningful? Post them.

Just saying that your opinion should be relevant....to something.
So no, I'm not allowed my opinion. Got it.

Never understood why one person not liking what someone else likes turns into a pissing match or some type of judgement of character. Its fcking music, its subjective. Idgaf if you like it or if the world likes it, its not for me. How does my non-enjoyment affect your enjoyment? Oh, it doesn't.

Name me an artist who could write these lyrics at 25 that are this meaningful? Post them.
Its not an argument. Am I not allowed my opinion now?
Just saying that your opinion should be relevant....to something.

25? How about Bob Dylan? "Blowing in the Wind", "Like a Rolling Stone". Both at 25 or younger. We all could come up with long lists if we took the time. Hell, the Beatles....

I like Neil Young - "Old Man", "Down by the River", "Heart of Gold". But he is more of a folk singer than rocker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT