ADVERTISEMENT

Been an expat for 10 years now

So no, I'm not allowed my opinion. Got it.

Never understood why one person not liking what someone else likes turns into a pissing match or some type of judgement of character. Its fcking music, its subjective. Idgaf if you like it or if the world likes it, its not for me. How does my non-enjoyment affect your enjoyment? Oh, it doesn't.
Not true. I was just asking what you thought was relevant to music that YOU really have enjoyed. Your non-enjoyment of certain music that we see relevance in has never taken the enjoyment out of good music. Which songs/artists do you find most compelling.

Not true. I was just asking what you thought was relevant to music that YOU really have enjoyed. Your non-enjoyment of certain music that we see relevance in has never taken the enjoyment out of good music. Which songs/artists do you find most compelling.

First concert I ever went to was the Eagles "One of these Nights" tour and the back up band was Linda Ronstad.

Someone spoke to lyrics...I will say Stevie Nicks like her or not everything was heart felt.

Reactions: Coug1990
25? How about Bob Dylan? "Blowing in the Wind", "Like a Rolling Stone". Both at 25 or younger. We all could come up with long lists if we took the time. Hell, the Beatles....

I like Neil Young - "Old Man", "Down by the River", "Heart of Gold". But he is more of a folk singer than rocker.
Now you're talking about our heroes heroes. I love someone like Jack White talking about Dylan willing to fix his gate. White not being able to easily handle their conversations as being "too close" as if talking to a a departed parent.

First concert I ever went to was the Eagles "One of these Nights" tour and the back up band was Linda Ronstad.

Someone spoke to lyrics...I will say Stevie Nicks like her or not everything was heart felt.
That's a hell of a first concert. Linda could sing any genre. Also loved Christine Mcvie.....in addition to the rest.

Last edited:
Well, taking a leap of faith here...

My tastes are eclectic. I was a really angsty, moody teen - a lot of my musical tastes reflect that: Metallica (who had a lot to say, btw. Parts of Ride the Lightning/ Kill 'em All/ ...And Justice for All have incredibly insightful lyrics for kids in their 20's). AC/DC, early Crue.

As I got older and my mood mellowed, found a lot of older music to my liking - I went on a stint where I listened to Mary Robbins and the Eagles for two summers, with some AIC/ STP/ Soundgarden/ PJ/ Nirvana/Pumpkins when I was feeling angsty again. Hell, I was listening to Garth before he was Garth (his first album) and a Chris Ledoux before he had a radio single.

Now I listen to most everything except for what passes for popular on the radio these days - pop, the pop that passes for country, and that god awful mumbling rap non-sense (Post Malone and the ilk). I'll turn on the Earth, Wind and Fire station on alexa, or last weekend I played the "yacht rock" station. Familiar tunes, from my youth, some horrible, some ok, but all that reminded me of the carefree days of my early childhood (pre-teen).

I used to travel a lot by myself between PDX and the tri cities to see my family, so there are some albums that I listened to on those trips that have become engrained in my soul - no necessiarily because they are "great" musically, but because its what I had to listen to pre streaming services. A few from the top of my head: Squirrel Nut Zippers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, a CD of various Irish folk songs, Santanas greatest, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Siberian freaking Orchestra, a sampling of various classical artists (Mozart, Bach, Grieg, Wagner), a mix CD of early 2000s rock and a mix CD of early 2000s rap (Jay Z, P Diddy, Ludacris, et al).

Like I said, all over the place. And whereas I don't find a lot of todays popular music to have a lot of intrinsic, entertainment or societal value (are we going to be giving away the grammy for best mumble rap in 5 years? Doubt it....) and don't like it, I do understand that Neil Young has contributed greatly to a lot of the music I love. Like I said before, appreciate, just don't care for his sound, but his singing voice in particular.

My tastes are eclectic. I was a really angsty, moody teen - a lot of my musical tastes reflect that: Metallica (who had a lot to say, btw. Parts of Ride the Lightning/ Kill 'em All/ ...And Justice for All have incredibly insightful lyrics for kids in their 20's). AC/DC, early Crue.

As I got older and my mood mellowed, found a lot of older music to my liking - I went on a stint where I listened to Mary Robbins and the Eagles for two summers, with some AIC/ STP/ Soundgarden/ PJ/ Nirvana/Pumpkins when I was feeling angsty again. Hell, I was listening to Garth before he was Garth (his first album) and a Chris Ledoux before he had a radio single.

Now I listen to most everything except for what passes for popular on the radio these days - pop, the pop that passes for country, and that god awful mumbling rap non-sense (Post Malone and the ilk). I'll turn on the Earth, Wind and Fire station on alexa, or last weekend I played the "yacht rock" station. Familiar tunes, from my youth, some horrible, some ok, but all that reminded me of the carefree days of my early childhood (pre-teen).

I used to travel a lot by myself between PDX and the tri cities to see my family, so there are some albums that I listened to on those trips that have become engrained in my soul - no necessiarily because they are "great" musically, but because its what I had to listen to pre streaming services. A few from the top of my head: Squirrel Nut Zippers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, a CD of various Irish folk songs, Santanas greatest, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Siberian freaking Orchestra, a sampling of various classical artists (Mozart, Bach, Grieg, Wagner), a mix CD of early 2000s rock and a mix CD of early 2000s rap (Jay Z, P Diddy, Ludacris, et al).

Like I said, all over the place. And whereas I don't find a lot of todays popular music to have a lot of intrinsic, entertainment or societal value (are we going to be giving away the grammy for best mumble rap in 5 years? Doubt it....) and don't like it, I do understand that Neil Young has contributed greatly to a lot of the music I love. Like I said before, appreciate, just don't care for his sound, but his singing voice in particular.
Loved Smashing Pumpkins...Marty Robbins was an incredible voice. Santana was a prodigy. Everything you listed was great.

Last edited:
I saw Madonnas first ever concert. It was at the Paramount theatre.
The opening act got booed off the stage.

Loved Smashing Pumpkins...Marty Robbins was an incredible voice. Santa was a prodigy. Everything you listed was great.

I know way before your time, and even mine but there was a time when I liked going way back in time and listening to Buddy Holly.

And while not ever one's taste, Showtime did a great special on Lynard Skynard.

how someone couldn't insert STP
I was just talking about Madonna and how I didn't appreciate her back in the day, but listening to her the past 15 years or so and what a beautiful voice and message. I saw Alanis Morrisette in 95' after the release of Jagged Pill.....man, it was immediate how appealing she could be.

Saw Chris Ledoux and had to chime in. I have his 20 greatest hits CD (although most weren't really "hits" per se). Haven't listened to his gazillions of other albums/cowboy music. But he was great, RIP. Western Skies, Tougher than the Rest, etc. Google him and you'll find a few great vidoes. Like "$5 Fine for Whining". Garth Brooks cameo - "I thought I had friends in low places".
My CD has duets with Garth, Toby Keith (Copenhagen - hilarious), Jon Bon Jovi and Charlie Daniels. Everyone loved Chris, and he had a little rock and roll in him for sure. Some may not know he was a rodeo champ before becoming a singer/songrwriter/guitar player.

This is a really fun thread. :)

Saw Chris Ledoux and had to chime in. I have his 20 greatest hits CD (although most weren't really "hits" per se). Haven't listened to his gazillions of other albums/cowboy music. But he was great, RIP. Western Skies, Tougher than the Rest, etc. Google him and you'll find a few great vidoes. Like "$5 Fine for Whining". Garth Brooks cameo - "I thought I had friends in low places".
My CD has duets with Garth, Toby Keith (Copenhagen - hilarious), Jon Bon Jovi and Charlie Daniels. Everyone loved Chris, and he had a little rock and roll in him for sure. Some may not know he was a rodeo champ before becoming a singer/songrwriter/guitar player.

This is a really fun thread. :)
Yeah, my uncle was around the rodeo circuit for a while and got me hooked on CL, and CL got me hooked on Cope... a 20 year habit that I'm glad to be rid of. Looking back, not quite sure what the appeal was.

Not sure if Re-Ride is on that album, or Bareback Jack, but those are two classics that anyone can appreciate.

Good to know I'm not the only one that needs the emotional connection to the music. The reliable ways to get that for me, as I suspect it is for most rock fans, is through the vocals or the guitar or both. Hendrix could make you feel plenty without saying a word. Clapton. Tom Morello. So can Cantrell. (His stuff can give you that fever dream creepiness, combined with harmonized vocals and goosebumps). Les Claypool can do it with a bass and it's wild. And some vocalists can say anything, it's the voice and delivery within the context of the song that matters. Joplin. Fogarty. Cobain (a damaged Fogarty). Staley, Cornell. Others are about the composition, like Zeppelin or Bowie. Though I confess sometimes I DO want the virtuoso stuff, and that's when Megadeth or Malmsteen or Van Halen or Iron Maiden come out to play (Maiden less for speed and more for the operatic element)

Amen Brother. I get that some music is just fun, nothing too deep. Much of the pop stuff is of that ilk. I believe it's important to listen to that stuff, as well! Live too deep into the well, you get stuck in that dark and lonely world. Being light has its place.

But at it's core, music should move you, should tell a story that connects.

To help you think, smile, cry, to dance, to pray... to live.

My life wouldn't be the same without music.

EDIT: Might I add, this is what many of you are speaking to, regarding "today's music". There is no depth. There is too much "light" stuff... not nearly enough "deep" stuff. And I'll add a bit more, since I'm down this rabbit hole... It isn't just the topic of the song. It's the production value, it's the talent behind the instruments. It's a mixture of depth of topic and depth of talent, both by instrument and production.
It's a tough thing to describe or quantify, but I think it comes down to a depth of feeling. Not necessarily only on the part of the listener, but also the performer. This is true of a lot of bands that have been mentioned here, but I'm going to pick on Nirvana. The music scene in the late 80's/early 90s was dominated by hair bands and glam rock, and they came out with something totally different. It wasn't commercial - or didn't seem to be - but they did what they wanted to, and it worked. I'm pretty sure they would have been happy playing in Seattle dives for free beer and a couple bucks, even if MTV and record companies never came calling (and I suspect that Kurt Cobain would have been much happier). They weren't playing their stuff for record execs and video producers, they were doing it for themselves and their fans. They were invested - they wrote it, played it, revised it, recorded it, and owned it. Most of the popular bands now, I don't think any of that is true. Someone else writes and arranges, they learn it and record it. It's borrowed, it's not theirs. They are just the face. They're in it for the cash and for the attention, and they have a low level of real investment...and I think it shows.

Reactions: random soul
Good to know I'm not the only one that needs the emotional connection to the music. The reliable ways to get that for me, as I suspect it is for most rock fans, is through the vocals or the guitar or both. Hendrix could make you feel plenty without saying a word. Clapton. Tom Morello. So can Cantrell. (His stuff can give you that fever dream creepiness, combined with harmonized vocals and goosebumps). Les Claypool can do it with a bass and it's wild. And some vocalists can say anything, it's the voice and delivery within the context of the song that matters. Joplin. Fogarty. Cobain (). Staley, Cornell. Others are about the composition, like Zeppelin or Bowie. Though I confess sometimes I DO want the virtuoso stuff, and that's when Megadeth or Malmsteen or Van Halen or Iron Maiden come out to play (Maiden less for speed and more for the operatic element)
(His stuff can give you that fever dream creepiness, combined with harmonized vocals and goosebumps) Which is why I couldn't handle Tool or a couple other bands at the time. Too much of what they had to offer was just too much. I'll take it in Alice In Chain chunks for the moment. I had to tell my brother after playing him some Primus...that the bass player was making the sound of 2 players...when he thought there was 4 in the band. Interesting a damaged Fogarty. I thought he was a damaged Lennon without a McCartney.

Good to know I'm not the only one that needs the emotional connection to the music. The reliable ways to get that for me, as I suspect it is for most rock fans, is through the vocals or the guitar or both. Hendrix could make you feel plenty without saying a word. Clapton. Tom Morello. So can Cantrell. (His stuff can give you that fever dream creepiness, combined with harmonized vocals and goosebumps). Les Claypool can do it with a bass and it's wild. And some vocalists can say anything, it's the voice and delivery within the context of the song that matters. Joplin. Fogarty. Cobain (a damaged Fogarty). Staley, Cornell. Others are about the composition, like Zeppelin or Bowie. Though I confess sometimes I DO want the virtuoso stuff, and that's when Megadeth or Malmsteen or Van Halen or Iron Maiden come out to play (Maiden less for speed and more for the operatic element)
How did Clapton take this long to come up? Tears in Heaven is still hard to listen to, knowing it's inspiration.

Another random thought, following the mention of STP: Velvet Revolver had the makings of something. If Scott Weiland had stayed with them (and stayed alive), I think Slash & Duff McKagan would be saying 'Axl who?'

Reactions: froropmkr72

Madonna was in Vision Quest. She's the lounge singer in the bar scene that was filmed at the Bigfoot.

I once drank a pitcher of beer at the Bigfoot.

Madonna was in Visionquest. She's the lounge singer in the bar scene that was filmed at the Bigfoot.

Did she actually appear, or was she just on the soundtrack? I remember the song/scene, but I don't recall seeing her. Then again, I may have been distracted. I'd still take Linda Fiorentino over her.

How did Clapton take this long to come up? Tears in Heaven is still hard to listen to, knowing it's inspiration.

Another random thought, following the mention of STP: Velvet Revolver had the makings of something. If Scott Weiland had stayed with them (and stayed alive), I think Slash & Duff McKagan would be saying 'Axl who?'
Well, when you think of it's content...there's no other type of inspiration. STP...some of the best musicians all round. Velvet Revolver...what I think of as the greatest rock guitarist of all time with Scott on vocals. Sweet Child O' Mine...greatest Rock lead performance ever.. forget about it.

Madonna was in Vision Quest. She's the lounge singer in the bar scene that was filmed at the Bigfoot.

I was in there a couple of years ago and asked the young bartender about Madonna. He looked at me like I was crazy
Wasn’t it called the Onion?
I must have seen Vision Quest a dozen times. I always went for a run when it was over There must be someone on this board that was in the movie
Great soundtrack also

I like to think I am a founding member of the useless knowledge club
You are correct sir.

I was in there a couple of years ago and asked the young bartender about Madonna. He looked at me like I was crazy
I must have seen Vision Quest a dozen times. I always went for a run when it was over There must be someone on this board that was in the movie
Great soundtrack also

It was the Bigfoot.

He runs past the downtown Onion at least once. The northside Onion didn't get built till the late 80s/early 90s. The beginning scene where the businessman makes a pass at him when he's delivering room service was at the Ridpath.

Fun fact- the ref for the big match at the end was Cash Stone, who was a long time wrestling coach at Mead High School, and a genuinely good dude.

Great soundtrack also
Different scenes. Carla had dinner at the Onion (which I think is still there) with Louden's teacher (can't remember his name). Later in the movie, the two of them are at a different bar, and that's where the Madonna music comes in.

I like to think I am a founding member of the useless knowledge club
You are correct sir.
And you may be one. But I am another. I was not that impressed by James Holzhauer. Thought he might be able to give me a challenge, but that's about it.

I have no idea why that tidbit was in my head. Never liked her, never saw her concert, never wanted to. But you raised the question, and there was the answer. "In bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. So bright and sharp that the sign, it just blows up."

I chatted with Louden Swain a couple years ago. Nice guy considering my wife and her friend stalked him for most of the night.

Reactions: YakiCoug
(His stuff can give you that fever dream creepiness, combined with harmonized vocals and goosebumps) Which is why I couldn't handle Tool or a couple other bands at the time. Too much of what they had to offer was just too much. I'll take it in Alice In Chain chunks for the moment. I had to tell my brother after playing him some Primus...that the bass player was making the sound of 2 players...when he thought there was 4 in the band. Interesting a damaged Fogarty. I thought he was a damaged Lennon without a McCartney.
Play 'Fortunate Son,' and then that Unplugged performance of 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night?' There's something in the resonance of those two voices that sound like they're coming straight from the guts. One sings, the other often screams, but they arrive in roughly the same place

And too much for me these days is a lot of current metal. Tool I still enjoy, but bands of the Gojira/Slipknot ilk are stimulus overload. It's like trying to climb a rock wall and there is no place to find a handhold. If I can't tap or nod my head along to it because I can't locate the beat under all that rhythm, then it can't pull me in

Reactions: Coug1990

I brought up Clapton early in this thread when I mentioned Cream. Clapton was brilliant. I think he has neuropathy, so he cannot play that much anymore. One of my favorite all time songs is Layla, with he and Duane Allman on guitars. Allman is another musician that left us too soon (motorcycle accident when he was 24). We talked about Hendrix. There is Joplin and Morrison, who other all time greats.

Speaking of Stevie Nicks: Fleetwood Mac. Rumors is an all time album. With Nicks and Buckingham's breakup as the backdrop, the album is raw and powerful.

Reactions: kougkurt
That's what music is all about. Most epic concert ever. People told me about it. Didn't understand it until 30 minutes in. Started getting pretty emotional, looked around a bit and a whole of people had tears in their eyes. If an artist makes songs that "you have to stay away from" at times...it's the sign of great artistry. Wish You Were Here....I can only listen to under the right circumstances....it's WAY too powerful.
Syd Barrett. David Gilmour personally made sure that Barrett got royalies from the earlier Floyd songs. Gilmour is a good man.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Play 'Fortunate Son,' and then that Unplugged performance of 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night?' There's something in the resonance of those two voices that sound like they're coming straight from the guts. One sings, the other often screams, but they arrive in roughly the same place

To absolutely know that someone like Simon Cowell would have kicked Kurt Cobain off the stage after an audition and then see and hear Cobain's Unplugged performance on that song, well, music truly is in the ear of the beholder. Great couple songs - and performances - you mention, Random.

It was the Bigfoot.

He runs past the downtown Onion at least once. The northside Onion didn't get built till the late 80s/early 90s. The beginning scene where the businessman makes a pass at him when he's delivering room service was at the Ridpath.

Fun fact- the ref for the big match at the end was Cash Stone, who was a long time wrestling coach at Mead High School, and a genuinely good dude.

Ken Pelo hater.

There are several former Mead wrestlers in the movie - one of whom shall remain nameless but allegedly showed Carla a few takedown moves off-camera.

My attorney has a very brief cameo in a scene, too - he did not show Carla any takedown moves.

Probably another two dozen people I'm acquainted with are in VisionQuest. None of which stack up to my wife's stunning portrayal on the Octopus ride scene at Riverfront Park in "Mozart and the Whale".

Reactions: froropmkr72

David Gilmour donated his guitar collection to combat climate change. His guitars were auctioned off and it raised over $21 million.

Reactions: random soul
My first concert was The Tubes and Night Ranger in Richland.

I know you're jealous, so don't even try to come back with some smarmy comment about big hair and isotopes.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing Sammy Hagar & Michael Anthony at NQ and Bob Seger at the arena. It's my summer of tequila and tighty-whities...

Different scenes. Carla had dinner at the Onion (which I think is still there) with Louden's teacher (can't remember his name). Later in the movie, the two of them are at a different bar, and that's where the Madonna music comes in.

The diner scenes were shot at Ferguson's Cafe; it was also used in "Benny and Joon." It burned down a while back...don't know if it was rebuilt or turned into something else.

The diner scenes were shot at Ferguson's Cafe; it was also used in "Benny and Joon." It burned down a while back...don't know if it was rebuilt or turned into something else.
Are you telling me that I don’t really remember the Onion logo on the window when Louden was watching them?

All this profound stuff. I liked my late '70's Wazzu concerts, especially the Doobies & America. The Doobies were good, but then they got Michael McDonald and became the poster children for blue-eyed soul. I caught McDonald live last summer and he is one of the few guys that age that still sound like a 20-something. As for America, it would be hard to find a better country rock synthesis band.

As for the Floyd lovers, when my company set up the control graphics for their publisher's iconic office building (not mentioning any names), the feature building control graphic was the "back" catalogue poster. All the control push buttons were strategically located. Considering the many groups that this publisher handled, I thought it a tribute to Floyd that those who made the decision picked that specific graphic, showing the many covers in an "interesting" light.

All this profound stuff. I liked my late '70's Wazzu concerts, especially the Doobies & America. The Doobies were good, but then they got Michael McDonald and became the poster children for blue-eyed soul. I caught McDonald live last summer and he is one of the few guys that age that still sound like a 20-something. As for America, it would be hard to find a better country rock synthesis band.

As for the Floyd lovers, when my company set up the control graphics for their publisher's iconic office building (not mentioning any names), the feature building control graphic was the "back" catalogue poster. All the control push buttons were strategically located. Considering the many groups that this publisher handled, I thought it a tribute to Floyd that those who made the decision picked that specific graphic, showing the many covers in an "interesting" light.

This isn't on you, but I hate the term "blue eyed soul". Not often does the white community get to claim victim of overt racism, but that would be one of the times.

Second, whenever I hear Micheal Mcdonald I think of the scene from "40 Year old virgin":

Reactions: SDCoug and ATACFD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT