ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 12 RUMOR: ESPN/Fox Could Sponsor WSU & OSU Expansion Into the Big 12

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
We need to hire a Public Relations publicist, and is Oliver Luck stepping up? Get hundreds of people write ESPN and FOX, their congressman and the Governor(s). We need a huge campaign, with this link....to sell it....so ESPN & FOX, and the B12 unanimously agree and say...YES.

SELL IT.

NOTE: Topic ends at 9:23.

Someone send Pat Chun and Pres. Kirk Shultz this link.

Why would ESPN and Fox pass on the Seattle and Portland TV market, let alone the entire state of Washington and Oregon? So we don't have a big national brand, but we have the TV numbers. This is a no brainer.

Last edited:
We need to hire a Public Relations publicist, and is Oliver Luck stepping up? Get hundreds of people write ESPN and FOX, their congressman and the Governor(s). We need a huge campaign, with this link....to sell it....so ESPN & FOX, and the B12 unanimously agree and say...YES.

SELL IT.

NOTE: Topic ends at 9:23.

Someone send Pat Chun and Pres. Kirk Shultz this link.

Why would ESPN and Fox pass on the Seattle and Portland TV market, let alone the entire state of Washington and Oregon? So we don't have a big national brand, but we have the TV numbers. This is a no brainer.

Is our esteemed alumna, Senator Patty Murray, pushing the interests of WSU/OSU, or would that alienate her King County constituency?

Last edited:
Is our esteemed alumnus, Senator Patty Murray, pushing the interests of WSU/OSU, or would that alienate her King County constituency?
I felt a lot better before learning she is a WSU alumna. Brutal. As for the question, she's a moron but smart enough to know who pays the bills and keeps her in power.

It would give the Big 12 1/2 of whatever value the PAC has without a bunch of hassle, so there’s that. I’m doubt it will happen though.

I felt a lot better before learning she is a WSU alumna. Brutal. As for the question, she's a moron but smart enough to know who pays the bills and keeps her in power.
I don't see a B12 push as something that would bring big hostility in metro Seattle. The B10 is a different story.

I don't see a B12 push as something that would bring big hostility in metro Seattle. The B10 is a different story.
I meant to allude not so much to pushback as I did a lack of motivation. I am curious as to what you are getting at, though. You mean in WSU's case, specifically, as opposed to UW trying to justify the Big Ten move? Culturally and politically, the Big Ten, and the states in which most of its schools are located, are a lot closer to Seattle's respective culture and politics than most Big 12 schools / states are.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's some backroom deals being made.

Fox and ESPN don't want to go down the path of anti-trust/collusion. The departing 10 just assumed they were going to skate with a big chunk of Pac-12 cash so they bolted to the B10/12 for partial shares.

Now that that the TuPac is fighting back, none of the parties are going to want the ugly details to come out in public.

Easier to provide a landing spot for WSU/OSU and just move on.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's some backroom deals being made.

Fox and ESPN don't want to go down the path of anti-trust/collusion. The departing 10 just assumed they were going to skate with a big chunk of Pac-12 cash so they bolted to the B10/12 for partial shares.

Now that that the TuPac is fighting back, none of the parties are going to want the ugly details to come out in public.

Easier to provide a landing spot for WSU/OSU and just move on.
Let's hope so. I know there are reasons to want to rebuild the Pac, but a Big 12 invite, especially with a full share, would be a lot better than rebuilding the Pac with G of 5 schools or joining a G of 5 conference. Not even close, really.

I didn’t agree that there’s not a way to win your way in. If
Let's hope so. I know there are reasons to want to rebuild the Pac, but a Big 12 invite, especially with a full share, would be a lot better than rebuilding the Pac with G of 5 schools or joining a G of 5 conference. Not even close, really.
my guess is if we receive a big12 invite it will come with a reduced share initially. I don’t think their schools will want to lose $ any more than the departing 10 do with the Pac 12 bank account.

Ironic that Iowa St. just lost to Ohio. Cincinnati to Miami if Ohio, Oklahoma St to South Alabama, TTU to Texas St. They aren’t having a good year. Us and OSU would be two top teams this year.

Reactions: 78Chief and Coug90
Watched the video. Not going to happen. I was looking at what they have going on and four pods with four teams (as things stand now) is going to be an easy, happy balance:

West
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

Southwest
Baylor
BYU
TCU
Texas Tech

Midwest
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

East
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
West Virginia

It maintains a lot of old rivalries, makes sense geographically (for the most part) and gives three games in each pod plus two from other pods. You play everyone outside your pod two times every four years. You add WSU and OSU into the mix and it has to be three six team pods. That would cut down the contests against other pod teams to only twice every six years but most importantly, it puts Baylor, BYU and TCU into a weird standoff where a couple teams end up where they don't fit as well and breaks up an existing Big 12 "rivalry".

Pacific
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

Central
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech

East
Baylor
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
West Virginia

No way that Baylor supports the above and they would have to be forced into it. BYU wouldn't be happy but no way that the former Big 8/12 members willingly give way to accepting them at the expense of other Big 8/12 schools. If they could get past that, the 18 team conference could be workable

It would most importantly keep the Cougs in Power Five and better situated for the next round of realignment.

I didn’t agree that there’s not a way to win your way in. If

my guess is if we receive a big12 invite it will come with a reduced share initially. I don’t think their schools will want to lose $ any more than the departing 10 do with the Pac 12 bank account.
Yeah, likely true. I'd still take it. $15.5m with a path toward a full share in the next deal, or whatever, is going to beat whatever is out there for a bunch of MWC schools, and the other benefits, like staying in "legitimate" P5 for recruiting and retention purposes, actually getting games on TV, getting exposure on ESPN and cross-promotion, and the rest of it, all cut that way. Current MWC deal is $4m per school other than Boise, the games are on CBS Sports Network and similar nonsense, and these aren't exactly boom times for media companies.

Reactions: mikalalas and HCoug
Yeah, likely true. I'd still take it. $15.5m with a path toward a full share in the next deal, or whatever, is going to beat whatever is out there for a bunch of MWC schools, and the other benefits, like staying in "legitimate" P5 for recruiting and retention purposes, actually getting games on TV, getting exposure on ESPN and cross-promotion, and the rest of it, all cut that way. Current MWC deal is $4m per school other than Boise, the games are on CBS Sports Network and similar nonsense, and these aren't exactly boom times for media companies.
I don't like setting a precedent of not taking a full share. However, I don't like the prospect of being outside a power conference far more.

Watched the video. Not going to happen. I was looking at what they have going on and four pods with four teams (as things stand now) is going to be an easy, happy balance:

West
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

Southwest
Baylor
BYU
TCU
Texas Tech

Midwest
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

East
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
West Virginia

It maintains a lot of old rivalries, makes sense geographically (for the most part) and gives three games in each pod plus two from other pods. You play everyone outside your pod two times every four years. You add WSU and OSU into the mix and it has to be three six team pods. That would cut down the contests against other pod teams to only twice every six years but most importantly, it puts Baylor, BYU and TCU into a weird standoff where a couple teams end up where they don't fit as well and breaks up an existing Big 12 "rivalry".

Pacific
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

Central
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech

East
Baylor
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
West Virginia

No way that Baylor supports the above and they would have to be forced into it. BYU wouldn't be happy but no way that the former Big 8/12 members willingly give way to accepting them at the expense of other Big 8/12 schools. If they could get past that, the 18 team conference could be workable
No need for divisions or pods anymore, unless you just want to facilitate scheduling. The best two teams can meet in the championship game. And I suspect the scheduling and therefore travel for the non-revenue sports can be different from football and mens basketball.

No need for divisions or pods anymore, unless you just want to facilitate scheduling. The best two teams can meet in the championship game. And I suspect the scheduling and therefore travel for the non-revenue sports can be different from football and mens basketball.

The pods would only be for scheduling. Agree 100% that you want your two best teams in the championship game. Not that rivalries or tradition matter anymore, but the pods/divisions that I showed above would help maintain some historical cohesion for most of the teams on the list.

I meant to allude not so much to pushback as I did a lack of motivation. I am curious as to what you are getting at, though. You mean in WSU's case, specifically, as opposed to UW trying to justify the Big Ten move? Culturally and politically, the Big Ten, and the states in which most of its schools are located, are a lot closer to Seattle's respective culture and politics than most Big 12 schools / states are.
Just following on the original HCoug comments. I don't see WSU in the B12 as something that would stir up any furor from the Seattle folks. If we were perceived as trying to horn in on UW's move to B10, on the other hand, the Green River Booster Club would certainly complain. Maybe some legit Husky alums, as well.

Reactions: mikalalas
After what Stanford and cal got from the ACC $15Mil would do just fine.

Just following on the original HCoug comments. I don't see WSU in the B12 as something that would stir up any furor from the Seattle folks. If we were perceived as trying to horn in on UW's move to B10, on the other hand, the Green River Booster Club would certainly complain. Maybe some legit Husky alums, as well.
F all this. I don't want to see VB, Soccer, Basketball and Baseball flying clear across the country to play league games. Get the Mtn West to let us swallow them up and create the Pac14 or 16 or whatever the number. Stay the hell out West. Even though that means (barf) welcoming Boise State.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
After what Stanford and cal got from the ACC $15Mil would do just fine.
Athletics would still be looking at an approximate $15 million revenue shortfall. Still pretty damn painful, but if it's the best option, it's the best option.

F all this. I don't want to see VB, Soccer, Basketball and Baseball flying clear across the country to play league games. Get the Mtn West to let us swallow them up and create the Pac14 or 16 or whatever the number. Stay the hell out West. Even though that means (barf) welcoming Boise State.
How much are you willing to donate to cover the revenue shortfall?

Athletics would still be looking at an approximate $15 million revenue shortfall. Still pretty damn painful, but if it's the best option, it's the best option.
We can all go back to the cord, and that would solve the reduction of ESPN/FOX revenue issues. :cool:

They could make it podish and keep everyone happy. Keep travel down somewhat and still sort of geographical.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Beavers & Big Cats must keep winning to have the best chance to be invited to the B12 & then keep winning to get to the 31.7 million $/year much sooner that we enjoy now.

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

We’re not getting a B12 invitation.
Even if we got one, at this point we’re an afterthought. It’ll be reduced share, so we’re stuck playing from behind for years, and we’ll realistically have zero say in future developments.
And…as last in, we’ll be first out in a few years for the next round of realignment.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

West
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

Southwest
Baylor
BYU
TCU
Texas Tech

Midwest
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

East
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
West Virginia

Pacific
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

Central
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech

East
Baylor
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
West Virginia

Not saying that WSU wins a NATTY this season, but EXTREMELY GIANT IF IF IF IF WSU were to go 13-0, then win a National Championship, THIS SEASON:

Combined with the court ruling, and Combined with a likely GameDay appearance in Pullman, IF WSU went 13-0, Combined with the threat of what WSU might do in court, Combined with RECORD TV viewership, linked to 13-0, Combined with WSU fans, college football fans, GOVERNMENT, ETC, would PETITION, CHAMPION WSU going to Big 12, Big 10, IF WSU went 13-0, Combined with how ESPN, FOX, BIG 12, would make SO MUCH MONEY, IF WSU went 13-0, AND IF they were to then push WSU to Big 12, Combined with how many skeletons would end up hidden in closets.

Those things would get WSU, OSU to Big 12

Even if we got one, at this point we’re an afterthought. It’ll be reduced share, so we’re stuck playing from behind for years, and we’ll realistically have zero say in future developments.
And…as last in, we’ll be first out in a few years for the next round of realignment.
At least we are in. Then let the chips fall

Not saying that WSU wins a NATTY this season, but EXTREMELY GIANT IF IF IF IF WSU were to go 13-0, then win a National Championship, THIS SEASON:

Combined with the court ruling, and Combined with a likely GameDay appearance in Pullman, IF WSU went 13-0, Combined with the threat of what WSU might do in court, Combined with RECORD TV viewership, linked to 13-0, Combined with WSU fans, college football fans, GOVERNMENT, ETC, would PETITION, CHAMPION WSU going to Big 12, Big 10, IF WSU went 13-0, Combined with how ESPN, FOX, BIG 12, would make SO MUCH MONEY, IF WSU went 13-0, AND IF they were to then push WSU to Big 12, Combined with how many skeletons would end up hidden in closets.

Those things would get WSU, OSU to Big 12
100% Mik. Ain’t likely to happen but ain’t no way the National Champion would end up without a power 5 home the following season. That would be one of the dumbest things ever in sports. There’s people who can pull strings, they just need the reasons to do so.

100% Mik. Ain’t likely to happen but ain’t no way the National Champion would end up without a power 5 home the following season. That would be one of the dumbest things ever in sports. There’s people who can pull strings, they just need the reasons to do so.
Two thoughts there, actually:

- If a G of 5 team could get invited to a 4-team playoff, ostensibly with the same opportunity to win it as a team like WSU would have if it managed to get in, I don't see why WSU winning a natty this year (silly exercise, of course) would, in and of itself, compel it being invited to any conference. In fact, I could see that being the ultimate FU to WSU and its fans, staff, and players. It would be cited as proof that G of 5-level teams can still win and serve as evidence of what really matter ... markets, resources, and eyeballs, all of which have a common denominator ... money.

- Stepping back a bit and looking more at something like going 10-3, the same rationale applies but even more so. It's certainly better to be having these conversations with a 10-3 team drawing some interest than a 2-10 team that looks like it doesn't belong, but on-field performance isn't what's driving this, and as sad as it would be, I absolutely could see WSU still getting left out. The focus would be on the three losses and there wouldn't be anything about that performance that compelled being invited anywhere in and of itself.

Sorry to be a downer but it's reality.

- If a G of 5 team could get invited to a 4-team playoff, ostensibly with the same opportunity to win it as a team like WSU would have if it managed to get in, I don't see why WSU winning a natty this year (silly exercise, of course) would, in and of itself, compel it being invited to any conference. In fact, I could see that being the ultimate FU to WSU and its fans, staff, and players. It would be cited as proof that G of 5-level teams can still win and serve as evidence of what really matter ... markets, resources, and eyeballs, all of which have a common denominator ... money.

- Stepping back a bit and looking more at something like going 10-3, the same rationale applies but even more so. It's certainly better to be having these conversations with a 10-3 team drawing some interest than a 2-10 team that looks like it doesn't belong, but on-field performance isn't what's driving this, and as sad as it would be, I absolutely could see WSU still getting left out. The focus would be on the three losses and there wouldn't be anything about that performance that compelled being invited anywhere in and of itself.

There are certainly still a lot of people, colleges, coaches, fans, etc that would certainly try to still leave WSU behind, even if a NATTY win, etc

Winning a NATTY by ITSELF, might not be enough, it might be enough.

Also there is a difference between BSU, G5 type going to the 4 team playoffs, BCS, and a in danger of being left behind Power 5 WSU going 13-0, and then going to a 12 team playoff, and then beating 2,3 straight playoff, national champion blue bloods, to become the National Champion.

BUT IF WSU wins a NATTY, AND AND AND COMBINED WITH ALL THE OTHER FACTORS THAT I LISTED ABOVE, that's what would get WSU to P5.

Those other listed above factors, by themselves, without a NATTY, might not be enough to get WSU to a P5.

The Natty would be a proverbial LAST STRAW, that would break the Camel's back, and get WSU to stay, be, to, etc, P5.

Yeah there would be those that would not care if WSU won a NATTY, and therefore would still leave WSU behind, if they can.

But ESPN, FOX, a judge, and a lot, majority of WSU fans, College Football fans, government governors, senators, etc, coaches, colleges, etc, would PETITION, CHAMPION, PUSH, PULL STRINGS, ETC, until WSU was P5 again, or stayed P5, etc.

Also as Coug90 said it would be the stupidest, dumbest, MORONIC thing ever if WSU were to win a NATTY, and still got left behind.

If that happened, the Powers That Be would look, be so stupid, lose all credibility, start to lose power, money, etc.

There are certainly still a lot of people, colleges, coaches, fans, etc that would certainly try to still leave WSU behind, even if a NATTY win, etc

Winning a NATTY by ITSELF, might not be enough, it might be enough.

Also there is a difference between BSU, G5 type going to the 4 team playoffs, BCS, and a in danger of being left behind Power 5 WSU going 13-0, and then going to a 12 team playoff, and then beating 2,3 straight playoff, national champion blue bloods, to become the National Champion.

BUT IF WSU wins a NATTY, AND AND AND COMBINED WITH ALL THE OTHER FACTORS THAT I LISTED ABOVE, that's what would get WSU to P5.

Those other listed above factors, by themselves, without a NATTY, might not be enough to get WSU to a P5.

The Natty would be a proverbial LAST STRAW, that would break the Camel's back, and get WSU to stay, be, to, etc, P5.

Yeah there would be those that would not care if WSU won a NATTY, and therefore would still leave WSU behind, if they can.

But ESPN, FOX, a judge, and a lot, majority of WSU fans, College Football fans, government governors, senators, etc, coaches, colleges, etc, would PETITION, CHAMPION, PUSH, PULL STRINGS, ETC, until WSU was P5 again, or stayed P5, etc.

Also as Coug90 said it would be the stupidest, dumbest, MORONIC thing ever if WSU were to win a NATTY, and still got left behind.

If that happened, the Powers That Be would look, be so stupid, lose all credibility, start to lose power, money, etc.

So yes in theory, WSU could theoretically, technically win their way into the Big 12.

But the chances of that happening is about .01% of winning a NATTY.

Of course they could leave us out with 10 wins and probably will regardless of the result of the season outside of something crazy like winning it all. Point remains our slim chances are less slim if we stay in the spotlight this year with a good season…same as OSU. TV and $ is driving this but every win, every week in the top 25, every top 25 matchup that gets talked about on Gameday and other shows keeps us in the conversation and gives us a fighting chance to stay at the adults table.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT