ADVERTISEMENT

Bryan Harsin to Auburn

Interesting.
I got a friend who’s a BSU grad and he thinks of Harsin same way most of us thought of Leach. Good coach, but he’s done what he can at BSU and he needs to strike while the irons hot and BSU isn’t going to elevate any further w him. If BSU finds the right replacement may be mutually beneficial.
Auburn’s a tough gig...their fans expect an Alabama takeover but Sabans got them so dialed in Auburn ain’t touching them till he’s wearing depends.

Reactions: 32eekortS
I got a friend who’s a BSU grad and he thinks of Harsin same way most of us thought of Leach. Good coach, but he’s done what he can at BSU and he needs to strike while the irons hot and BSU isn’t going to elevate any further w him. If BSU finds the right replacement may be mutually beneficial.
Auburn’s a tough gig...their fans expect an Alabama takeover but Sabans got them so dialed in Auburn ain’t touching them till he’s wearing depends.
That’s pretty much the way I was looking at it from the outside. There are a lot of parallels to the Leach-WSU situation, even the “now you’re playing with the big boys” thoughts about the upgrade in competition. Leach will certainly have more patience from the fans at MSU than Harsin will at Auburn.

Saban has made opposing coaches hundreds of millions of dollars on buyouts.

Reactions: M-I-Coug and Coug90
Auburn's AD has been criticized on the timing a lack of a "plan" to fill Gus' job. Not to mention, 21M on the buy-out.

Harsin is a good coach. Not a great coach. If he brings in a good staff (easy to do if he has some hiring judgement, because he will certainly have some budget to use), he will do OK. If Auburn is willing to be happy with OK, then it will be a good fit. I can see him knocking off the cream puff noncons, and being very competitive with the better noncons. And he will beat the SEC doormats. But more than 8 wins (9 in a year when his half of the league is weak) is probably outside his capability level unless lightning strikes with a couple of his recruits. And historically Auburn has not been a big enough cheater to edge Alabama, especially in recruiting. Maybe Harsin will be willing to cheat more, particularly under the SEC pressure. Time will tell, but not a lot of time. We'll know for sure after 3 years, and have some good indications sooner than that. I wish him well, while at the same time I'm not rooting for the BSU AD to make a good replacement choice.

I wonder if Chun ever reached out to Harsin last year, not that I would necessarily expect Harsin to have a lot of interest in the WSU job. He was a popular choice among some Cougar fans.

Glad Cougar

Auburn's AD has been criticized on the timing a lack of a "plan" to fill Gus' job. Not to mention, 21M on the buy-out.

Apparently the booters and "search committee" told coaching candidates they couldn't choose their own staff so Auburn lost out a lot of top choices. I think firing Gus is going to backfire for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT