ADVERTISEMENT

Buffs prediction

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
We start slow, they start hot. We never catch up, and Falk has a sub par day. 3ints and a sloppy play do us in early as we try to hurry back into the game. We play in spurts and finish the game with a late td, never that close 28-41.

Even with River out of the game I like WSU. I'm thinking

38-30 Cougs F

There is no reason for this team to let down at this point.

Reactions: earldacoug
I don't see us winning in Colorado. Our last coach to win there was Paul Wulff, and lets face it, Mike Leach is no Paul Wulff.

WSU 27
Colorado 38

Reactions: CPtheCoug
We start slow, they start hot. We never catch up, and Falk has a sub par day. 3ints and a sloppy play do us in early as we try to hurry back into the game. We play in spurts and finish the game with a late td, never that close 28-41.

You really had to start a thread for this Captain Wet Blanket?

First quarter we have trouble holding them on 3rd downs due a variety of reasons, but by the middle of the 2nd quarter we'll settle down.

Their offense is not good - "just good enough to win" is a thin margin. Our defense has handled "great" offensive teams all season long. We can handle "just good enough" offenses.

Their defense is great so far, however they haven't had to deal with a great quarter back yet. Arguably Luke is the best performing quarterback standing behind one of the best performing offensive lines they have faced all season. "Our corners can cover their WR's" - Buff fan. No they can't actually. We've heard that rhetoric the past two seasons straight and have survived. Even in losses our WR's got theirs all game long. Our losses came with Falk getting slapped around in the back field, and the inability to get the ball out accurately/on-time (also inability to run the ball effectively when we needed to). Luke WILL be tested on Saturday, but again it is nothing we haven't experienced and prevailed over before. With the 2016 Cougs you cannot drop eight into coverage and expect pressure on Falk.

The 4th quarter is our quarter. We'll have three turnovers on defense by the end of the game.

WSU 38 (at least) - Colorado 24 (at most)

I don't see us winning in Colorado. Our last coach to win there was Paul Wulff, and lets face it, Mike Leach is no Paul Wulff.

WSU 27
Colorado 38

I don't agree with the prediction, but I appreciate the justification.

When you look at the Buffs, they crushed OSU, ASU and Arizona. They struggled to score against UCLA, Stanford and USC. They won a track meet against the Ducks. They played great against Michigan before their QB got hurt but fell in a funk and got crushed after that. What does that mean? Probably nothing.

My take is that Colorado has done a better job than WSU of showing killer instinct against teams that quit when the going gets tough. Teams that have good defenses have been effective against Colorado. We've had a few games where we came in feeling a little too good about ourselves and played soft early but got it figured out. Our team is not the kind to quit when we are down. Wins aren't guaranteed, but double digit deficits will not scare our team.

I will not be surprised to see WSU trailing 17-7 in the second quarter. This is the kind of game to have that happen. I think we'll see a halftime score of CU 24, WSU 17 as we start to fight our way back into it (similar to their game against Oregon). We score on the opening possession of the 2nd half to tie the game and lead 31-27 heading into the fourth quarter. Defense creates a turnover and we go up 38-27. Buffs get a TD to get within 38-34 before we get a game sealing drive to push the score out to 45-34. Cougs jump up to #14 in the polls and everyone gets drunk.

Final Score: WSU 45 - CU 34

Reactions: GoldenCoug
I don't agree with the prediction, but I appreciate the justification.

When you look at the Buffs, they crushed OSU, ASU and Arizona. They struggled to score against UCLA, Stanford and USC. They won a track meet against the Ducks. They played great against Michigan before their QB got hurt but fell in a funk and got crushed after that. What does that mean? Probably nothing.

My take is that Colorado has done a better job than WSU of showing killer instinct against teams that quit when the going gets tough. Teams that have good defenses have been effective against Colorado. We've had a few games where we came in feeling a little too good about ourselves and played soft early but got it figured out. Our team is not the kind to quit when we are down. Wins aren't guaranteed, but double digit deficits will not scare our team.

I will not be surprised to see WSU trailing 17-7 in the second quarter. This is the kind of game to have that happen. I think we'll see a halftime score of CU 24, WSU 17 as we start to fight our way back into it (similar to their game against Oregon). We score on the opening possession of the 2nd half to tie the game and lead 31-27 heading into the fourth quarter. Defense creates a turnover and we go up 38-27. Buffs get a TD to get within 38-34 before we get a game sealing drive to push the score out to 45-34. Cougs jump up to #14 in the polls and everyone gets drunk.

Final Score: WSU 45 - CU 34

No, you're just being selective in the games you're looking at.

Yes, CU throttled OSU, ASU & Zona. We throttled Stanford, Oregon, Arizona & Cal.

They struggled with Oregon, Stanford & UCLA. We struggled with ASU, OSU & UCLA.

they will be exposed, the Cougs will roll and slowly but surely build an insurmountable lead. we haven't been stopped yet and won't be this week

Reactions: Orecoug
Cougs 6- Buffs 4 in 3 OT

Our O will not start slow.

Their O will score on its first drive.

1st Qtr ends WSU 10, CU 7.
Half: WSU 20, CU 17.
3rd Qtr: WSU 34, CU 27.
Final: WSU 41, CU 37.

So let it be written; so let it be done.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
I'm picking the Buffs for no other reason than I suck at predicting football games, and if I pick the Cougs we will probably lose. So 34-30 Buffs. You can thank me later.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I don't feel good about Saturday. Intuition.

The good news is, IF we win....I'll be shocked, and the shock will continue during the entire hype of the Apple Cup Week.

Before River got injured I was thinking 38-28 Cougs F

But since his injury, Cougs 35 Buffs 27 F

Cougs 36 Buffs 24. Watched a replay of Buffs vs Zona and I feel pretty confident. I think both lines up front we will give them fits. And yes RichRod was visibly frustrated often and I enjoyed it !!

'90, I like your thinking re: Sweet.

But more likely we get at least two red zone stops and it results in 2 field goals.

34-31 Buffs. Their Defense, with many Seniors will be the toughest we've faced all season. IF we win, then I'll be in such a huge SHOCK MODE all next week.

Reactions: BUFFjunkie
34-31 Buffs. Their Defense, with many Seniors will be the toughest we've faced all season. IF we win, then I'll be in such a huge SHOCK MODE all next week.
Our offense, particularly the offensive line will be the toughest theyve seen all season as well. Strength on strength is always fun to watch.

Michigan and USC have decent talent as well. :confused:
As much hype as UW has been getting for, well, everthing, that USC line is stout. 10 sacks allowed all year; thats 1 per game, and with numbers like that you know half were coverage sacks/ qb holding it too long.

We're at 23, but that includes a 7 sack shit-fest in Tempe. Despite that we still hung 37 on them. I don't think CU is a blitzing D, so I expect that number to be a more manageable 2 or 3 sacks.

First quarter we have trouble holding them on 3rd downs due a variety of reasons, but by the middle of the 2nd quarter we'll settle down.

Their offense is not good - "just good enough to win" is a thin margin. Our defense has handled "great" offensive teams all season long. We can handle "just good enough" offenses.

Their defense is great so far, however they haven't had to deal with a great quarter back yet. Arguably Luke is the best performing quarterback standing behind one of the best performing offensive lines they have faced all season. "Our corners can cover their WR's" - Buff fan. No they can't actually. We've heard that rhetoric the past two seasons straight and have survived. Even in losses our WR's got theirs all game long. Our losses came with Falk getting slapped around in the back field, and the inability to get the ball out accurately/on-time (also inability to run the ball effectively when we needed to). Luke WILL be tested on Saturday, but again it is nothing we haven't experienced and prevailed over before. With the 2016 Cougs you cannot drop eight into coverage and expect pressure on Falk.

The 4th quarter is our quarter. We'll have three turnovers on defense by the end of the game.

WSU 38 (at least) - Colorado 24 (at most)
Hopefully if they drop 8 into coverage Falk won't need to worry about pressure because he will be watching the bottom of his RBs cleats as they gash the shit out of CU with the run.

I expect a close game. In the end I give the edge to the home team with the better ranking.

35-31 Buffs

Wouldn't surprise me if the result was flipped. This could come down to the last play.

Cougs have proven they know how to win. No reason to believe they can't continue the streak. Offense will dominate, defense will step up and score off takeaways. Cougs walk away with a solid win.
Cougs 38-24.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
I don't doubt that Colorado has a good defense but their passing stats are aided by the fact that they haven't played the three best passing teams in the Pac-12. They haven't played Cal or UW or the Cougs. They, like us, played UCLA without Rosen but they also had the benefit of playing Stanford without McCafferty and Oregon without Freeman. Cougs-38-28.

Tough call. CU hasn't really played a pass-first team. USC is as close as they've come, and they won...but Darnold threw 25/37 for 358 and 3 TDs. Then again, Colorado played without Liufau.

Cougs D is playing for Barber's return, and the O is playing for Cracraft--both sides are going to turn in a stellar performance, and we win this one by >10.

Cougs D is playing for Barber's return, and the O is playing for Cracraft--both sides are going to turn in a stellar performance, and we win this one by >10.

Exactly. Cougs are going to roll tomorrow. Barber is going to be huge and the d will stuff them all day. Luke and friends will dice up the overrated defense. 49 -24. Or better.

Just watched the PAC12 Sports Report and they interviewed Mike McIntyre. Talked about all the accomplishments for Colorado this season, etc... They then asked him what Colorado has to do to stop WSU's offense, his response was pretty funny:

"Oh... Well, uhhh hopefully they (Gabe/Luke/etc...) twist their own ankles during pregame warm ups"

Despite the humor, I sense a little worry in his voice.

This is going to be a nail-biter!! I don't see either team being able to pull away. I do think the weather and altitude and nerves and defense lower the scoring somewhat and make for more FGs than usual. COUGS 34, BUFFS 31

The Boulder campus is like a small city and is very compact with the stadium located in the middle of it. It is a very tough place to play and the noise level will be high. The cougs will have to play their best game of the year to win. I said earlier that the cougs will prevail 27-17 with the final TD coming in the last minutes. That said,i would not bet on this game.

Exactly. Cougs are going to roll tomorrow. Barber is going to be huge and the d will stuff them all day. Luke and friends will dice up the overrated defense. 49 -24. Or better.
You are quite optimistic. I just don't see us blowing them out. Would certainly love to see it happen though.

The Las Vegas " smart money" is on the buffs. The line has moved to -6 pts as the late money and professional bettors are going with the buffs at home.

The Las Vegas " smart money" is on the buffs. The line has moved to -6 pts as the late money and professional bettors are going with the buffs at home.
The Buffs' betting advantage is hugely influenced by bettors who don't follow these teams closely looking at their undeserved #10 ranking. Even if Buffs win, they're not Top 10.

I'm going Cougs 27-23 but it's not as close as the score. Buffs have 1 legitimate TD, Cougs give up 1 fourth-quarter dud TD at the end, and Buffs' struggling offense has to settle for 3 FGs. Cougs get 3 legit TDs and 2 FGs. Cougs jump to #15 or so next week.

The backers of the college teams tend to place their bets early.The professional bettors wait and if they see a line they like they jump on the game.That is the reason the point spread jumped from 41/2 to 6 points.They also tend to favor the Big 10 teams and more recently, SEC teams. The buff s game with Michigan in which they were competitive flavors their thinking. I played the Las Vegas game for many years and intensely for three years,
every week of the football season. That was way back when they"set" the line at the Stardust . That was probably way before people here started paying attention to betting lines.

The Boulder campus is like a small city and is very compact with the stadium located in the middle of it. It is a very tough place to play and the noise level will be high. The cougs will have to play their best game of the year to win. I said earlier that the cougs will prevail 27-17 with the final TD coming in the last minutes. That said,i would not bet on this game.

We went to the games in 2003 and 2011. In 2003, the Buffs were overmatched so the crowd noise wasn't an issue. In 2011, they were sucking, we were sucking, there wasn't a great amount of energy and the crowd noise wasn't a factor. We were at the game today and they were legitimately loud. It wasn't Auburn loud, but it was far louder than the ASU game we went to a few weeks ago and probably the loudest stadium I've been in since 2013 at Auburn. I was not expecting that after prior experiences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT