ADVERTISEMENT

Buffs starting QB might give us problems....

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_29118500/apsay-suddenly-cus-starting-qb

They say he's accurate.
Can move.
Almost beat USC.

We BETTER bring our A game. We have been really hurt by mobile QBs when they scramble to the right.
I don't know that I'd say he "almost beat USC". They scored 17 of their 24 points with him running the show, yes. But all indications are that USC slept through the first 2 1/2 quarters. Probably would have ended up 27-17, with a goose egg for CU in the second half, but they got a good punt return and a personal foul in the 4th quarter that meant they started a drive at the USC 2.

Apsay had a good completion percentage, and that's about it. His line for the game: 18/23 for 128 yards, 2 TDs. 8 rushes for -36 yards, sacked 5 times. Longest run was 3 yards.

Not saying you're wrong, I mean there's practically no film on the guy at this point...and it's certainly true that we haven't defended the QB well all season. But there's nothing from the game against USC that makes him look like a serious issue.

I agree that this is a trap game - a big one - but if our offense comes to play, I'm honestly not that worried. I do expect a below average effort though.

The fact is, the way to beat Washington State is to keep our offense off the field and control the clock for better than 2/3 of the game. While it's possible for a running QB to move the chains a handful of times, I seriously doubt they can go to that well for the full 60 minutes. Plus, unlike Stanford, we now know everybody is going to try to exploit us with that from here on out, so the first 3 runs won't be "free" this time.

The teams we have to be worried about are dominant running teams with maulers on the OL who can run the same play at us and rip off 5 yards a carry even when we know it's coming. Fortunately there aren't too many of them in this conference. If every team in the PAC plays their very best football, there's arguably only one team in the league that can beat us and it's Stanford - perhaps one or two others if Oregon etc. rediscover their running mojo.

Concerned, but not at all pessimistic. Hopefully the trap game idea is reaching our players and nobody's sleeping on this game.

The fact that Colorado's QB is making his first start will energize their entire offense. If we play welI early, I doubt they'll be able to match us score for score. If we slog our way through the first half, they'll hang around all game.

Their QB is a freshman starting his first game who hangs on to the ball too long and likes to pass into the dirt. Look for his replacement after the half.

Pretty much everybody's quarterback has given us a problem, but with the exception of PSU, it seems we've managed to compensate.

it seems that we will always have nervous nellie fans, worrying about a backup QB tearing us up is classic Coug insecurity. we will dominate.

Backup QB's, especially when they are freshman with little experience, tend to be inconsistent. Falk was last year and earlier this year. A large part of CU's offense was Luifau running the read option. He has the second most rushes on the team. Luifau is 6'4" 235lbs. Will CU want to run Apsay, 6'1" 190lbs considering that the 3rd string QB, Jordan Gehrke, has four passes this season?

I guess Apsay could have the kind of game that Falk had against OSU last season. But, I doubt he does. I don't think Apsay is Falk.

I agree that this is a trap game - a big one - but if our offense comes to play, I'm honestly not that worried. I do expect a below average effort though.

The fact is, the way to beat Washington State is to keep our offense off the field and control the clock for better than 2/3 of the game. While it's possible for a running QB to move the chains a handful of times, I seriously doubt they can go to that well for the full 60 minutes. Plus, unlike Stanford, we now know everybody is going to try to exploit us with that from here on out, so the first 3 runs won't be "free" this time.

The teams we have to be worried about are dominant running teams with maulers on the OL who can run the same play at us and rip off 5 yards a carry even when we know it's coming. Fortunately there aren't too many of them in this conference. If every team in the PAC plays their very best football, there's arguably only one team in the league that can beat us and it's Stanford - perhaps one or two others if Oregon etc. rediscover their running mojo.

Concerned, but not at all pessimistic. Hopefully the trap game idea is reaching our players and nobody's sleeping on this game.

That's an odd statement. Maybe I'm just misreading it. If every team we played, played their absolute best game, I think any of them could beat us. Maybe Oregon St couldn't right now, assuming we didn't have a PSU style sleep walk game.

Conversely, if we play our best football, I don't think there's a team in this conference we couldn't beat.

I'd be more worried about the game if Luifau was healthy. Much rather face a backup in his first start than an experienced starter. Nonetheless, Cougars need to focus and continue to play hard.

Glad Cougar

Bottom line: we go from hunter to hunted this week. These kids haven't experienced success. Success can get to one's head. This will prove if we can handle success. Not insecurity, pure fact.

it seems that we will always have nervous nellie fans, worrying about a backup QB tearing us up is classic Coug insecurity. we will dominate.
To be fair, we're not even finished with our first winning season in a decade. Wondering whether a conference foe's backup QB could tear us a new one is a COMPLETELY justified fear for Coug fans.

That's an odd statement. Maybe I'm just misreading it. If every team we played, played their absolute best game, I think any of them could beat us. Maybe Oregon St couldn't right now, assuming we didn't have a PSU style sleep walk game.

Conversely, if we play our best football, I don't think there's a team in this conference we couldn't beat.
Not so odd - the claim is that if EVERY team plays their best football (including us), there are perhaps one - or at most a very small handful in the conference - who could beat us. I think we both just said the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT