ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Perry update

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
RB Caleb Perry has departed the program

Last edited by a moderator:
How much weight do you put on these rumors?
Time will tell if he doesn't show and contribute to some roster. How many rb's on under scholarship? There's 3 now? Maybe they should take a JC RB that graduates or a graduate transfer that show great interest. I checked out RB's from California and there was ONE that went to Oklahoma. There's some others that have some top speed that haven't signed yet....but not from Cal. Cal seemed to be a wasteland for RB's this year.

Time will tell if he doesn't show and contribute to some roster. How many rb's on under scholarship? There's 3 now? Maybe they should take a JC RB that graduates or a graduate transfer that show great interest. I checked out RB's from California and there was ONE that went to Oklahoma. There's some others that have some top speed that haven't signed yet....but not from Cal. Cal seemed to be a wasteland for RB's this year.

I liked the big kid from Ohio.

I think RB is where he will be playing and I think that's his best position. He is load to bring down.

I want to see the offense challenge the defense with a legit attack between the tackles.

I wanna see what happens to the passing game when the defense can no longer play 3 DL with 8 dropped into coverage.

Im not advocating a change in scheme or a balanced attack. To be clear, I wanna see a back get 20 carries between the tackles. Defenses have had 7 years of not having to defend the run. What happens when Borghi is featured or splits carries with a bruiser? How does the effect the red zone offense, short yardage offense and play action? How does that effect the personnel dropping into coverage? Can you force the defense into 4 DL, 2 LBs and 5 DBs? Can you force them into a true 43 defense and remove another DB from their scheme?

I want to see the offense challenge the defense with a legit attack between the tackles.

I wanna see what happens to the passing game when the defense can no longer play 3 DL with 8 dropped into coverage.

Im not advocating a change in scheme or a balanced attack. To be clear, I wanna see a back get 20 carries between the tackles. Defenses have had 7 years of not having to defend the run. What happens when Borghi is featured or splits carries with a bruiser? How does the effect the red zone offense, short yardage offense and play action? How does that effect the personnel dropping into coverage? Can you force the defense into 4 DL, 2 LBs and 5 DBs? Can you force them into a true 43 defense and remove another DB from their scheme?
That's a great point and obviously a guy like Thomas brings that element to the game. I think it would be a waste and a mistake to bring him in at LB when we are pretty loaded at that position already.

That's a great point and obviously a guy like Thomas brings that element to the game. I think it would be a waste and a mistake to bring him in at LB when we are pretty loaded at that position already.
We are loaded at LB? Not arguing per se, but I see LB as needing upgrading.

He can run the ball. Can he block? Can he catch a pass out of the backfield? The highlights do not show those things. We use APB's, not RB's. I guess we will find out.

He needs to run the ball between the tackles. Blocking helps for sure. Catching the ball is a bonus.

IMO, for the offense to take a step forward they need to get out of the backs catching passes. They need the ball thrown downfield and the LOS attacked.

He needs to run the ball between the tackles. Blocking helps for sure. Catching the ball is a bonus.

IMO, for the offense to take a step forward they need to get out of the backs catching passes. They need the ball thrown downfield and the LOS attacked.
Maybe. But not gonna happen.
Maybe if we had a FB or TE might help with that

Reactions: CougEd
FB and TE are awful positions for WSU.

This is the Air Raid. Not the Air Backs. Throw it downfield!!!
Air Backs is part of the Air Raid. It is about the all purpose yards of the backs.
Our backs need to lead the league in all purpose yards. It is about getting the ball to the open position. Make the defense cover the whole field. You are wrong about the step forward. Yes, throw the ball down field when it is open, but it is a lower percentage pass. If you expect anything else, the Air Raid will make you crazy.

Just love the wins Leach will get WSU.

Air Backs is part of the Air Raid. It is about the all purpose yards of the backs.
Our backs need to lead the league in all purpose yards. It is about getting the ball to the open position. Make the defense cover the whole field. You are wrong about the step forward. Yes, throw the ball down field when it is open, but it is a lower percentage pass. If you expect anything else, the Air Raid will make you crazy.

Just love the wins Leach will get WSU.

The defense doesnt cover the whole field. Thats the prob with the offense.

Defenses would rather defend deep and rally up to make a tackle on a back out of the backfield. They are giving the offense that pass. What you get is a DC calling the plays for the WSU qb.

I am not wrong about the step forward. A defense that is forced to defend the entire field will get smoked. You cant do it. So they roll the dice with 3 men stopping the run cause they know Leach wont run between the tackles. Then they trick the QB into making the easy throw to the backs, never challenging their dbs down field.

As soon as WSU can run between the tackles and throw the ball down field rather than to the backs this offense will score 7 tds per game in league play.

Reactions: CougDave
Why would you see it as needing an upgrade? I see Woods, Fa'avae and Sherman or Rogers as our starting core LB's and our rush LB's are stacked with Silvels/Vinyard/Taylor III. Outside of Thomas, we have 3 LB's coming in with the 2019 class.

Back when the wishbone and veer was run, people could not understand why it was run in every situation. They were even pitching out of their own end zone. Think of throwing to the back in the Air Raid as the pitch. It is an offense designed to allow lesser athletes to be successful again stronger defensive personnel. Washington gets away with three defensive linemen, because of the defensive lineman they are able to recruit. Running right at them is not the answer. There are ways to finesse them, but even that can only go so far. Field conditions effect how successful finessing can be. As recruiting improves, Leach will have more options that he can run in his bag of tricks. Don't you think Leach reviews his options and compares them to his personnel? The offense will be fine. Having a back that can only run between the tackles, gives the defense less to cover.

I am more concerned about DT recruiting than any other position. The defensive coaches will make it work, but having ready made DT recruits would help. There are not many out there. The defense has to gamble more without those DTs. Washington did not have to gamble on defense, because of the DTs.

Why would you see it as needing an upgrade? I see Woods, Fa'avae and Sherman or Rogers as our starting core LB's and our rush LB's are stacked with Silvels/Vinyard/Taylor III. Outside of Thomas, we have 3 LB's coming in with the 2019 class.
Outside of Woods, all those guys you list as potential starters have limited game experience, and none of them have demonstrated they are going to be big time players, and incoming freshman mean absolutely nothing until we see something on the field. I was optimistic about Woods his freshman year, but he hasn't really shown consistent improvement in my eyes, and he (including the rest of the starters) were terrible in the bowl game--the middle of the field was constantly being exploited by Iowa State because our LB's weren't there (not to mention their horrible tackling when they were there). Silvels seems like the only guy that really shows some flashes of greatness, so maybe we have a serviceable LB corp next year, but saying we're loaded is really a stretch in my opinion.

Reactions: acgcoug and Cougzz
As recruiting improves, Leach will have more options that he can run in his bag of tricks. Don't you think Leach reviews his options and compares them to his personnel?
People ask where the shuffle went or why aren't we doing this or that. THIS is the answer. CML lives and breathes "The Art of War". He will play to his advantages. And those advantages change with personnel. I'm sure he works at teaching stuff, getting these kids out of their comfort zone but you still play to your strengths.

I got a copy of "The Art of War" when CML was hired. I think I need to re-read it. The recent class CML w/ Baumgartner is trying to get wheels on, refers to it. I'd strongly recommend it. It goes to War strategy, sure. But it goes to leadership. It goes to winning whatever is going on in your life, be it a position at work or just the day.

Reactions: Tx64
Outside of Woods, all those guys you list as potential starters have limited game experience, and none of them have demonstrated they are going to be big time players, and incoming freshman mean absolutely nothing until we see something on the field. I was optimistic about Woods his freshman year, but he hasn't really shown consistent improvement in my eyes, and he (including the rest of the starters) were terrible in the bowl game--the middle of the field was constantly being exploited by Iowa State because our LB's weren't there (not to mention their horrible tackling when they were there). Silvels seems like the only guy that really shows some flashes of greatness, so maybe we have a serviceable LB corp next year, but saying we're loaded is really a stretch in my opinion.
Agreed that not loaded but I think the talent is there to field a decent LB unit

Reactions: earldacoug
Back when the wishbone and veer was run, people could not understand why it was run in every situation. They were even pitching out of their own end zone. Think of throwing to the back in the Air Raid as the pitch. It is an offense designed to allow lesser athletes to be successful again stronger defensive personnel. Washington gets away with three defensive linemen, because of the defensive lineman they are able to recruit. Running right at them is not the answer. There are ways to finesse them, but even that can only go so far. Field conditions effect how successful finessing can be. As recruiting improves, Leach will have more options that he can run in his bag of tricks. Don't you think Leach reviews his options and compares them to his personnel? The offense will be fine. Having a back that can only run between the tackles, gives the defense less to cover.

I am more concerned about DT recruiting than any other position. The defensive coaches will make it work, but having ready made DT recruits would help. There are not many out there. The defense has to gamble more without those DTs. Washington did not have to gamble on defense, because of the DTs.

Im not sold on passing to the backs on the hash as a pitch play. If you wanna force the defense into changing their personnel by adding a 4th DL, its gonna mean running the ball between the tackles. So yes, running right at them has to happen. The new OL coach is light years better than the last guy.

Ive made no comment about a back that only carries between the tackles and cant catch a ball.

Every team plays a 3 man front. It isnt just the uw.

If you wanna open up the defensive backfield, you start by removing their dime package. Forcing the defense to add bigger bodies will create better match ups for the WRs and give them better numbers against the DBs.

Ive posted on this a lot. One mote time, with feeling...

Im not advocating a balanced attack. Im not advocating changing the offense. Im advocating a stronger attack at the LOS, the one place WSU doesnt challenge the defense. Dont tell me youre attacking the entire field when you run the ball 5 times out of 70 plays.

Im not sold on passing to the backs on the hash as a pitch play. If you wanna force the defense into changing their personnel by adding a 4th DL, its gonna mean running the ball between the tackles. So yes, running right at them has to happen. The new OL coach is light years better than the last guy.

Ive made no comment about a back that only carries between the tackles and cant catch a ball.

Every team plays a 3 man front. It isnt just the uw.

If you wanna open up the defensive backfield, you start by removing their dime package. Forcing the defense to add bigger bodies will create better match ups for the WRs and give them better numbers against the DBs.

Ive posted on this a lot. One mote time, with feeling...

Im not advocating a balanced attack. Im not advocating changing the offense. Im advocating a stronger attack at the LOS, the one place WSU doesnt challenge the defense. Dont tell me youre attacking the entire field when you run the ball 5 times out of 70 plays.
I can't help but feel the same way. If Leach described a 50/50 attack as half-stupid, he probably might describe us as a little stupid. Not bad:)

Agreed. Most of our LB's have been on the small side too, height and weight. We've really needed a long rangy LB or two for a while now that can cover the teams that utilize the TE's a lot, like Stanford, and somewhat UW.

Frankly this class and last year's offer plenty of LB talent. Pelluer's leadership will be missed but Woods is ready to take over. Hunter Dale may be more difficult to replace at nickel.

Maybe. But not gonna happen.
Maybe if we had a FB or TE might help with that
One or the other as an accidental walkon is the most you'll ever see. I want the jumbo 7 man offensive line package and the inverted wishbone to come back. Use the players you've got

Reactions: etowncoug
Frankly this class and last year's offer plenty of LB talent. Pelluer's leadership will be missed but Woods is ready to take over. Hunter Dale may be more difficult to replace at nickel.
Maybe, but until we see them on the field, potential is all they represent right now. I'm a big Hunter D. fan, so I concur, he will be missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT