ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching search(es)

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
I recently saw this article (see below) on how Mike Gundy found his OC by searching the internet. Kind of fascinating I thought.

Looking at our Cougs, CML found Grinch coaching DB's at Missouri. There are other diamonds out there. Going back to my link to asst coaches salaries in another thread, when you look at the Group of 5 conference coaches, these guys don't make squat. Gotta be quality coaches among them waiting for their break. Guys that may stay around for awhile.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...oys-mike-gundy-offensive-coordinator-internet

Reactions: Tx64
The whole Grinch & Manning situation just points out two things:

1.) Leach can identify talent.
2.) WSU under Leach now has a reputation as a place that a talented guy can come to coach and progress in his profession. Which means that getting the next one is that much easier.

This is a far better scenario than never having assistants that are good enough to be targets for other programs.

2.) WSU under Leach now has a reputation as a place that a talented guy can come to coach and progress in his profession. Which means that getting the next one is that much easier.

This is a far better scenario than never having assistants that are good enough to be targets for other programs.

Todd Sturdy (out of football) and I want to know what you are saying here. A backhand slap at former coaches?

Reactions: earldacoug
Three coaches to hire. Four days away from being able to announce a 10th coach and no leaks? We knew about Grinch for a couple months. So the search for a replacement had to be going on even if informally. I know Leach is secretive, but this is unbelievable. As an administrator, I was always looking for talent. I am sure Leach keeps feelers out there for potential hires, as the need arrives.

I have heard only about Leach going outside for a DC and an informal shout out to Scott White, formally of UCLA. Scott White I would assume would be an outside linebacker coach only. Great recruiting. Martin, also of UCLA, is a secondary coach and a great recruiter. I do not see either one of them being DC, but if the DC was hired within they would work. There is also a third opening to hire. I am confident the Leach will hire well. I just am anguish for news. On January 12th, recruiting starts up full blast again. I would like for WSU to finish strong with a surprise or two.

Reactions: earldacoug
Regarding CML's job offer to Grinch, I seem to recall that Yost suggested that Mike consider Alex. He was familiar with him due to their time together at Missouri.

Yost made the introduction to Grinch . Not sure Grinch was on anyone’s radar .

Speaking of Yost, he is now at Utah State making $102,000/year. From WSU and 243K to Oregon and 353K to that.
That is why everyone wants to be a head coach. Yost could have done a great job at Oregon but the other part of staff sucked . They get blown out and start over . It is a tough gig .

Todd Sturdy (out of football) and I want to know what you are saying here. A backhand slap at former coaches?
Todd Sturdy and the St. Ambrose Fighting Bees!
Todd Sturdy's worst record as head coach of the St Ambrose Fighting Bees was in 1999 when he had both Rosie and Jody Sears as his assistants.
Together they gave up 52 points to Tri-State.
No, not Tri-State "Idaho's Most Interesting Store" but the Division III Tri-State Thunder out of Angola, Indiana.
Tri-State University since changed its name to Trine University since it wasn't exactly "Indiana's Most Interesting University"
Less than two years after Sturdy was eeking out wins over Olivet Nazarine and McKendree at St. Ambrose, he was coaching against Pete Carroll in the Possum Bowl while trying not to burn JT Levenseller's redshirt..

Ed, it sure seems likely that Yost was the initial source for Leach to look at Grinch, as you suggest. But Leach made his decision on more than that introduction. I think Leach's history & coaching tree makes it clear that he is a good coaching talent evaluator. At this point it has to be somewhat of a compliment for an assistant to get a call from Mike Leach, and given the advance rumors with Grinch, I would imagine that CML has been looking for a while. The jumble of recently fired staffs may bring more names into play, however.

Something was not right in his approach to life and career.He seemingly did not contribute much in his tenure at WSU.

Todd Sturdy and the St. Ambrose Fighting Bees!
Todd Sturdy's worst record as head coach of the St Ambrose Fighting Bees was in 1999 when he had both Rosie and Jody Sears as his assistants.
Together they gave up 52 points to Tri-State.
No, not Tri-State "Idaho's Most Interesting Store" but the Division III Tri-State Thunder out of Angola, Indiana.
Tri-State University since changed its name to Trine University since it wasn't exactly "Indiana's Most Interesting University"
Less than two years after Sturdy was eeking out wins over Olivet Nazarine and McKendree at St. Ambrose, he was coaching against Pete Carroll in the Possum Bowl while trying not to burn JT Levenseller's redshirt..
Paul Wulff had several assistants he brought with him from EWU that I thought were way over their head, but I actually thought Sturdy was okay. He did end up becoming DC at Iowa State but got swept out when the head coach was fired a couple of years ago.

Glad Cougar

Agree. Yost leaving WSU has been a spiral downward in his career. But the rumor was that Yost didn't want to recruit while at WSU and that's a big no go imo.

If you don’t want to recruit either go to high school or the NFL.

For a quarter million dollars I don’t think it’s much to ask to recruit 30 kids in hopes of landing 4 of them.

Reactions: E Jones and Tx64
Yost was a big boy recruiter at Missouri. Brought in some highly rated talent. He suffered career burn out and Leach let him just coach and refresh his battery without being on the road constantly (his territory was, like, E. Wa and N. Idaho). That was well understood. He was on point with the Brett Rypien recruitment but that went a different direction for a variety of other reasons, not Yost.

Then once his batteries were recharged, he bolted to the big money at Oregon and stabbed Leach in the back.

Agree. Yost leaving WSU has been a spiral downward in his career. But the rumor was that Yost didn't want to recruit while at WSU and that's a big no go imo.

Football career, yes, but not his acting career. Here he is cast in a leading role as a zombie (left of middle zombie)...
zombies.jpg

Yaki, you may be right. That zombie's pants look like they might have originally been Oregon colors...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT