ADVERTISEMENT

Cody, what is the problem?

CrimsonDisciple

Head Coach
Dec 26, 2005
How does a 2 time All-American not get at least a Free Agent deal? Trey Adams is the same size and regarded as the top OL in next years draft and a top 10 pick. This guy didn’t even get an invite to the combine. Anyone know what the scouts are saying about him?

https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/1...hington-state-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Click the link.

He has size going for him. Which you cannot coach. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there were question marks about how well he has been coached. He is a project regardless of how many accolades he's had.

Why a team won't cut him a check for $5,000 to show up as a FA is beyond me. It's not like it's a lot of money in the realm of pro football. Who knows if the thrives once you've got him and now you have a guy that makes your roster.

A rugby player gets drafted, purely a project. Yet a 2 time, consensus AA can't even get a shot as a potential "project"?

He was a project coming to WSU and he proved everyone wrong. Not sure how the NFL doesn't take that into consideration.

A rugby player gets drafted, purely a project. Yet a 2 time, consensus AA can't even get a shot as a potential "project"?

He was a project coming to WSU and he proved everyone wrong. Not sure how the NFL doesn't take that into consideration.

Agree. Especially in rounds 5 or later. What is the financial risk versus the reward? If he shows up and you can't work with him, fine. Cut losses and move on. If he shows up and makes your roster, you're a draft whiz.

If the NFL doesn't work out for him there's always the WWE.

That one viral video doomed him, I think. Even if they thought he was worthy of a try, the PR wouldn't have been very good. Fans would have screamed over that one. And his reaction didn't instill confidence, either. He kinda chuckled it off. He needed to be pissed.

Reactions: Cougzz
That one viral video doomed him, I think. Even if they thought he was worthy of a try, the PR wouldn't have been very good. Fans would have screamed over that one. And his reaction didn't instill confidence, either. He kinda chuckled it off. He needed to be pissed.
He participated in the https://www.all-starfootballchallenge.com/, and did just fine. I think it was the practice session that went viral.

"The Pac-12, which was represented by Rosen, USC outside linebacker Uchenna Nwosu, Washington State offensive lineman Cody O’Connell and Colorado cornerback Isaiah Oliver, finished second overall to the Wild Card group, but Rosen’s flawless performance in the team competition helped the Pac-12 win the relay-race event." Cody was did very well in the final lag.

I saw way too many instances where we couldn't pick up 1 yard when needed. Boise State sticks in my mind, for example. When you can't run off tackle or sneak for a yard, behind a 370lb lineman, it's telling.

He participated in the https://www.all-starfootballchallenge.com/, and did just fine. I think it was the practice session that went viral.

"The Pac-12, which was represented by Rosen, USC outside linebacker Uchenna Nwosu, Washington State offensive lineman Cody O’Connell and Colorado cornerback Isaiah Oliver, finished second overall to the Wild Card group, but Rosen’s flawless performance in the team competition helped the Pac-12 win the relay-race event." Cody was did very well in the final lag.
WHile I knew he'd done OK at others, I think a portion of the problem was still that viral video. We live in an era where, if you do one thing wrong, it'll be caught on video, it'll go viral and you'll always be remembered for such. PR is almost as bad, if not worse, than the "lawyer mentality". If there's an iota of a chance you could get sued, don't do it. Even if it's the right thing to do. Same with PR. If you have an iota of a chance that PR will be an issue, why risk it? In this instance, there's plenty of other "projects" out there, where PR isn't even an issue. And while O'Connell isn't a thug, druggy, wife abuser, the NFL has had years of PR issues. I'd say any team just wants to make sure the water is as still as possible. I can't say this is the whole issue but I've got to think it's a portion

I saw way too many instances where we couldn't pick up 1 yard when needed. Boise State sticks in my mind, for example. When you can't run off tackle or sneak for a yard, behind a 370lb lineman, it's telling.

This was a contract year for him. Play well, knock people off the football, get drafted. WSU should have been able to run the ball at will behind him and Madison. They couldn't.

Im not upset the OL coach left. Ask yourself, was his position group overachieving or underachieving???

We all know the answer to that one. Showhow,people have a hard time when one of the coaches is rightly criticized.The defense of the indefensible almost becomes the norm on this board.

This was a contract year for him. Play well, knock people off the football, get drafted. WSU should have been able to run the ball at will behind him and Madison. They couldn't.

Im not upset the OL coach left. Ask yourself, was his position group overachieving or underachieving???
There is a third option...

How does a 2 time All-American not get at least a Free Agent deal? Trey Adams is the same size and regarded as the top OL in next years draft and a top 10 pick. This guy didn’t even get an invite to the combine. Anyone know what the scouts are saying about him?

Bad feet is what doomed him. Yeah he could get in front of someone to screen them from getting to the qb. He had no drive, can't pull, never had his hand in the dirt. Where does he compare to Madison or Dahl?

According to other reports, he had multiple mini-camp offers. Is that not accurate?

Interesting comments I actually remember his HS videos and he blocked for the run and had good feet then if i remember correctly. I somehow cannot visualize him not being able to have drive and being able to put his hand on the ground. He will surface somewhere and we will find if he can do these things.He has to adjust his goals and adopt a "i will prove them wrong" attitude.Poor coaching almost inept in my opinion is a big part of the problem.. I have said that for a long time and it is certainly looking that way.I guess we will have to see what happens next.

His biggest man to man loss that I remember was when Gaines owned him at the goal-line in 2016 when that game was still maybe competitive. He seemed to hold up better against UW this last time. It was Mauigoa and Salmonsen that got wrecked, and it's hard to be surprised by that.

O'Connell is like Mata'afa in reverse as a 'tweener. Herc has the first step and the motor and the ability to use leverage, but he doesn't have quite enough heft. He's built like an end but plays tackle. Cody is built like a right tackle but plays guard. He's possibly lacking in the lateral quickness necessary to be a tackle, and his height will be hard to see and throw over in an offense without those splits. All that aside from questions of leverage at 6'8". I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a camp invite, but not that he wasn't drafted.

Interesting comments I actually remember his HS videos and he blocked for the run and had good feet then if i remember correctly. I somehow cannot visualize him not being able to have drive and being able to put his hand on the ground. He will surface somewhere and we will find if he can do these things.He has to adjust his goals and adopt a "i will prove them wrong" attitude.Poor coaching almost inept in my opinion is a big part of the problem.. I have said that for a long time and it is certainly looking that way.I guess we will have to see what happens next.
It's not so much about drive or putting his hand on the ground. It's being THAT tall and battling guys only a little lighter than him who will have a natural advantage getting low on him.

Bad feet is what doomed him. Yeah he could get in front of someone to screen them from getting to the qb. He had no drive, can't pull, never had his hand in the dirt. Where does he compare to Madison or Dahl?
Madison is a better athlete and Dahl is a better technician. Dillard is our best NFL body though. If he has a good year I could see him going round 3 or higher.

WHile I knew he'd done OK at others, I think a portion of the problem was still that viral video. We live in an era where, if you do one thing wrong, it'll be caught on video, it'll go viral and you'll always be remembered for such. PR is almost as bad, if not worse, than the "lawyer mentality". If there's an iota of a chance you could get sued, don't do it. Even if it's the right thing to do. Same with PR. If you have an iota of a chance that PR will be an issue, why risk it? In this instance, there's plenty of other "projects" out there, where PR isn't even an issue. And while O'Connell isn't a thug, druggy, wife abuser, the NFL has had years of PR issues. I'd say any team just wants to make sure the water is as still as possible. I can't say this is the whole issue but I've got to think it's a portion

It wasn’t the video..... he wasn’t invited to the combine as a Senior 2 time All-American. Something was up way before the video.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the competition in the minicamps. Hopefully he will surprise a few people

It wasn’t the video..... he wasn’t invited to the combine as a Senior 2 time All-American. Something was up way before the video.

I wish Cody the best and hope that he makes an NFL roster but realistically, it's kind of insane that anyone is surprised that Cody wasn't on the NFL radar. The dude was the biggest guy on our team but didn't start until his fourth season in the program. As we've heard ad nauseum, it wasn't like Wulff left Leach with a bunch of NFL talent that was starting ahead of Cody. In watching Cody during games, he's so big that he typically did pretty well when he was facing off one on one but if the defense made him move more than a couple steps and he wasn't effective most of the time. As mentioned above, when we didn't show the ability to move the ball 2 yards running behind him, it says a lot of bad things about his ability to impose his will on a defensive lineman.

I hope he develops a little bit of a fire in his belly and earns a roster spot, but Cody not getting drafted (or getting an immediate UDFA) was no real surprise. I'm proud that he was a Coug and appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that was shed for our football program.

And you just knew that Dillard, at 240 pounds out of high school, would be an NFL draft pick...
I did? Interesting. You have a point here?

BTW WSU has had a few kids come in light and grew into their position and got drafted. Williams, Millard, Utley, Joe Dahl and now Cole Madison. They were all under 245 when they were recruited.

I did? Interesting. You have a point here?

BTW WSU has had a few kids come in light and grew into their position and got drafted. Williams, Millard, Utley, Joe Dahl and now Cole Madison. They were all under 245 when they were recruited.

How can this be Ed? How can Andre Dillard from the 2014 class "by all accounts was a disaster" be an NFL prospect in your eyes.

mJru0rH.png

How can a 2014 disaster recruit be an NFL prospect? It's as almost as if your 2014 claim is... full of sh*t or just flat out wrong. Flat and wrong often go together too around here so that doesn't surprise me.

Total Disaster 2014....

wuShR20.png

qXGuxOL.png

....tsk tsk... such a disaster...

2014 never contributed anything...just a total disaster...

How can Dillard be another good player from the 2014 class? How can this be?

How can this be Ed? How can Andre Dillard from the 2014 class "by all accounts was a disaster" be an NFL prospect in your eyes.

mJru0rH.png

How can a 2014 disaster recruit be an NFL prospect? It's as almost as if your 2014 claim is... full of sh*t or just flat out wrong. Flat and wrong often go together too around here so that doesn't surprise me.

Total Disaster 2014....

wuShR20.png

qXGuxOL.png

mJru0rH.png

Total Disaster 2014....

wuShR20.png

qXGuxOL.png

I hear what you are saying. So 2009 really wasn't a disaster cause Buckley, Long, Tuel and Rankin all signed NFL free agent contracts. Doesn't matter that Buckley never played for us, he just went elsewhere.

2010 wasn't a disaster either by your accounting methods. Booker, Rodgers, Buchanon, Wilson were all drafted, Fullington is with the Saints, Halliday got a look from Washington. Heck, CJ Mizel probably even went into camp. Again, it doesn't matter that Booker never played with us, Rodgers went to Eastern.

Just because two or three players are good it doesn't define the class. Yes, it is great Luvu and Hercules got free agent contracts. But what about the other kids who should be on the roster? Where are they. Canty, Canada etc. It is about attrition. It is the lack of numbers and even quality players leaving that make it a disaster. They should have more than Dillard you can count on from that class. Two players getting free agent deals does not make the class. If that were the case the 2011 class was not a disaster, and it was....

Tron.......why you got to be a dumbass about this? Seriously! Why? The quality of the class is not determined by it's top 4 members when all the other guys didn't work out. Let's look at a hypothetical recruiting class and their "success" and decide if this was a good class or not:

Defensive End, 3rd Round, still on NFL roster
Safety, 1st Round, still on NFL roster
Wide Receiver, 7th Round, played in NFL for four years, currently on futures contract with an NFL team
Guard, signed UDFA, multiple years on practice squad, currently on NFL roster
Quarterback, signed UDFA, set numerous school records
Defensive Tackle, signed UDFA, failed to make a final roster
Offensive Tackle, multi-year starter, left team after junior year, ended up being drafted in the 7th round

Offensive Tackle, multi-year starter, had NFL mini-camp tryout
Running Back (converted to WR): had over 1000 yards receiving and 600 yards rushing in his career
Defensive Back: double digit starts, Conference honorable mention, Phil Steel All-conference 2nd team, Conference defensive player of the week twice
Wide receiver: Conference honorable mention as a sophomore, career ended early because of concussions
Linebacker: played in 15 games as a backup and recorded close to 50 tackles

So, in this class of 25 guys, there are four guys that were drafted, eight guys total that had at least a brief cup of tea in the NFL (at least on a try-out or practice squad), two more guys that received Conference honorable mention in their career and another couple guys who had decent experience as backups. 12 out of 25 guys have something that you can say about them. Three of the players from this class are currently listed on the rosters of NFL teams right now.

That class? The 2010 class mentioned by Ed.....and I didn't even include Booker.

Tron.......why you got to be a dumbass about this? Seriously! Why? The quality of the class is not determined by it's top 4 members when all the other guys didn't work out. Let's look at a hypothetical recruiting class and their "success" and decide if this was a good class or not:

2010 class got coached by Mike Leach. Paul Wulff couldn't develop anyone. As evident by his total of 2. Just 2 players drafted in his 4 years.

Paul Wulff coached players for the following years

2009 NFL Draft - Brandon Gibson
2010 NFL Draft - NONE
2011 NFL Draft - Zach Williams
2012 NFL Draft - NONE

2 out of 4 years NO PLAYERS TAKEN.

And don't be like but but Doba but but Doba.

Doba had players taken every single year. EVERY SINGLE YEAR and only had 1 year where only 1 was drafted...2008 Alex Brink. MULTIPLE players drafted every single year.

Sh*t Wulff shows up and no player development and 2 out 4 NFL drafts we get ZERO drafted. Z E R O.

Leach?

2013 Draft - Marquitter
2014 Draft - Deone Buchanon
2015 Draft - Vince Mayle / Xavier Cooper
2016 Draft - Joe Dahl
2017 Draft - Shalom Luani
2018 Draft - Cole Madison / Luke Falk

THE ONLY 2 YEARS IN THE ENTIRE DECADE we didn't have someone drafted was piece of Sh*tED Paul Wulff. In fact you had to go all the way back to 1994 for us not to have someone drafted before Wulff produced 2 drafts with ZERO players.

The 2014 class has produced GREAT contributors to one of the WINNINGEST SPANS IN OUR HISTORY. PERIOD.

And will still be contributing this year in the final year of the eligibility period. And quite possibly (if they win 9 games again) will be part of the greatest span in our history and if they win 7+ games will be able to say something that nobody has been a part of at WSU in 100 years. 4 winning seasons in a row.

"What a total disaster" You and Ed have proven yourselves to be idiots OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. You make it too easy for me.

Reactions: YakiCoug
I hear what you are saying. So 2009 really wasn't a disaster cause Buckley, Long, Tuel and Rankin all signed NFL free agent contracts. Doesn't matter that Buckley never played for us, he just went elsewhere.

Paul Wulff has 2 players drafted in his 4 years at WSU. He couldn't develop anyone. He had no "magic eye for talent" He was trash.

Leach developed players. Leach made strength and conditioning a priority. Wulff stink was everywhere and we cleansed it. We washed it away and salvaged what we could from it. We flushed the turd that is blowhard Walden away. We have 3 winning seasons in a row. "Where were the wins from all this "incredible talent" during the Wulff years". Guess what. It never happened.

Leach developed players, he's brought in better players and it shows.

But somehow for you a class that contributed TO WINS and is making it to the next level. Is a "Total Disaster".

You are completely missing the point. Everyone talks sh!t about how terrible Wulff was at recruiting but his 2010 class (whether he coached them or not) kicks the hell out of the 2014 class. More NFL level talent, more contributors and just a better class by far.

From 2011, Paulo and Williams signed UDFA agreements with NFL teams, Monroe was heavily involved until he left (244 tackles in 37 games), Myers was a longtime starter, and Forbes signed an UDFA with the Packers. Hell the 2011 class is only a step behind that 2014 class and again, ain't nobody singing Paul Wulff's praises (well, maybe ED).

Every time you talk about how great the 2014 class was, it just shows that you have a complete lack of objectivity on the subject.

Paul Wulff has 2 players drafted in his 4 years at WSU. He couldn't develop anyone. He had no "magic eye for talent" He was trash.

Leach developed players. Leach made strength and conditioning a priority. Wulff stink was everywhere and we cleansed it. We washed it away and salvaged what we could from it. We flushed the turd that is blowhard Walden away. We have 3 winning seasons in a row. "Where were the wins from all this "incredible talent" during the Wulff years". Guess what. It never happened.

Leach developed players, he's brought in better players and it shows.

But somehow for you a class that contributed TO WINS and is making it to the next level. Is a "Total Disaster".
Understood, three players make a class. And if they don't win nine games and say they win 5, what would be the cause? And the class that propelled them through the winning years was 12/13. They got three contributors in 2014.

The fact that Canty, Canada, Evers, Krepsz, and others never played it was a class that led us to three of the best seasons we have ever had. I know Hercules was good (free agent) as was Luvu (free agent) and I think Dillard will be drafted next year. But if three kids are what you call solid and not "disaster" in the overall evaluation, then feel free to describe it anyway you like. But three kids in which two are free agents and the rest are gone (nine that are gone) causes a real depth problem for 2018.

You are completely missing the point. Everyone talks sh!t about how terrible Wulff was at recruiting but his 2010 class (whether he coached them or not) kicks the hell out of the 2014 class. More NFL level talent, more contributors and just a better class by far.

From 2011, Paulo and Williams signed UDFA agreements with NFL teams, Monroe was heavily involved until he left (244 tackles in 37 games), Myers was a longtime starter, and Forbes signed an UDFA with the Packers. Hell the 2011 class is only a step behind that 2014 class and again, ain't nobody singing Paul Wulff's praises (well, maybe ED).

Every time you talk about how great the 2014 class was, it just shows that you have a complete lack of objectivity on the subject.
Well I will start singing his praises about recruiting if three players in which 2 are UDFA is the standard. Wulff is long gone, and the only reason I brought him up to show a comparison of classes. The 2011 class was a disaster. But using Tron's metric maybe not so bad.

Not to be rude by getting back to the original subject of this thread, but I expect one of two things to happen with Cody:

1.) He ends up on an NFL taxi squad and when he eventually gets a shot (and I think that he will get a shot), it is at guard.

or,

2.) He plays in the CFL. If he goes CFL, I suspect that he will be a tackle.

Not to be rude by getting back to the original subject of this thread, but I expect one of two things to happen with Cody:

1.) He ends up on an NFL taxi squad and when he eventually gets a shot (and I think that he will get a shot), it is at guard.

or,

2.) He plays in the CFL. If he goes CFL, I suspect that he will be a tackle.

If you and I weren't Cougar fans, and we simply talent level, what makes you think Cody will make an NFL roster? If you replaced Cody and say you had to play Fullington or Ecklund, would WSU been any different? What made Cody so good and different than the players I just mentioned?

Well I will start singing his praises about recruiting if three players in which 2 are UDFA is the standard. Wulff is long gone, and the only reason I brought him up is because I just can't let sleeping dogs lie, and I'm bored and wanted to provoke another multi-post rant by certain posters so I could engage in a pointless dead horse beating. The 2011 class was a disaster. But using Tron's metric maybe not so bad.

Fixed your post.

If you and I weren't Cougar fans, and we simply talent level, what makes you think Cody will make an NFL roster? If you replaced Cody and say you had to play Fullington or Ecklund, would WSU been any different? What made Cody so good and different than the players I just mentioned?

Ed, those are fair questions. I like the limited number of sacks that Cody permitted. If he were grossly deficient in terms of lateral speed, I would have expected more. It's not like the PAC doesn't have any pass rushers. I also think that he did well one-on-one with D tackles. He was more than adequate in the Apple Cup when directly facing the best DT in our league (who by the way will probably start in the NFL as a rookie). Another poster noted that Cody really only got a lot of PT in his last two years and questioned how good he could be on that basis. My answer to that is that he appeared to still be growing (and growing into his body) until he was about 20-21. He simply wasn't physically ready to start until it happened, and I think he was a slower developer than most for that reason. As for Cody making an NFL roster, I said taxi squad. I think an experienced coaching staff will see the potential for further development and hold him until the last cut for the final 53 man roster, at which time he will be kept on the practice squad. It would be amazing good luck for an NFL team to have no O line injuries, so the chances of a taxi squad tackle or guard getting a shot is pretty high. At this stage in his development my guess is that when he gets his shot it will be at guard. Alternatively he may go to the CFL and play tackle for a few years and then, barring injury, be able to jump to the NFL. I think the CFL is less likely, because I think some NFL team will keep him around, even if he is not on the 53 man roster.

Why the need to fix it...how about not reading, let alone responding to it?

Fixed this post also. Why you say?

A). I'm a moth to a flame, just like everyone else on this site
B). I foolishly continue to try to get you to modify your behavior. With you I keep thinking there is hope because you are actually a mature, intelligent adult. With others, not so much. Actually, with others not any (maturity or hope).

The 2014 class accomplished more at WSU then the 2010 class did period.

2014 won more games period. They just did.

You live in this fantasy world where a class is what the roster must play. No. NO. NO. That's not how it works.

That's how juice box everybody participates "Wulff football works".

Class A - 22 players. The very BEST players make it into the starting line up. Since it is the first class lets say it has 22 players contribute. 11 on offense 11 on defense.

Class B - 22 players - Now what you are supposed to do here is recruit BETTER players than you think you have from class A. Leach says himself. We are recruiting people to replace you. From class B let's say only 11 are better than Class A.

So there are 44 players on the team. But only half (11 from Class A) and Half from Class B are the very best. = 22 players.

Class C - 22 players. Let's say again only half the players coming in are better than the starters (11) and get a shot.
That's 11 players from Class C and 5 players from Class B and 6 Players from Class A

So at this point in year 3... how many players are still left from Class A contributing from the original 22? only 6! Is it a "DISASTER" NO. NO IT IS NOT. Because when you recruit to improve your starting lineup. People are going to be left behind. That's ALWAYS how it works.

Class D - 22 players - Let's say 6 players from this class are so good they make it in to contribute.

So now the starting lineup is comprised of

6 from Class D -
9 from Class C
4 players from Class B
3 players from class A

That's in the 4th year.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER 19 PLAYERS FROM CLASS A?!?!? IT'S A DISASTER CLASS!

NO NO N ONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's a class that got replaced by BETTER PLAYERS AS TIME PROGRESSED.

But where are the 19 players from Class A? Well..... They can Transfer...or quit..or just finish out their eligibility... and that's what happens.... This also doesn't take into account attention from grades or conduct.

That's why you recruit 25 people every single year. Because you are going to lose some players along the way. ESPECIALLY if you are winning more games as you go along and recruiting....better and better players.... only a few will be left from the original class.

(The very best ones). The Hercules, The Frankie Luvu, The Dillard, Keith Harrington etc.

Honestly go to the T-Ball forums Flat. Your brain can process that but it is very clear that collegiate level roster management and comprehension is way beyond your IQ level.

Seriously T-Ball. Juicebox. Orange Slices. That's good for you.

Cody's inability to move laterally doomed his chances with the NFL. We'll see him in Canada most likely.

Fixed this post also. Why you say?

A). I'm a moth to a flame, just like everyone else on this site
B). I foolishly continue to try to get you to modify your behavior. With you I keep thinking there is hope because you are actually a mature, intelligent adult. With others, not so much. Actually, with others not any (maturity or hope).

Loiled...
images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT