ADVERTISEMENT

De Laura

Maybe, he’s got a NIL deal lined up at a million a year for the next 3 years, provided he doesn’t suffer a major injury in the Sun Bowl. After the first half he doesn’t want to risk losing 3 million. If that’s the case, can’t find fault in that line of thinking.

Player tampering before kids enter the portal… causing kids to stop playing at halftime of bowl games would be a huge issue.

The NCAA left no boundaries on this issue. It’s one thing to enter the portal. It’s another to be fielding offers before you enter the portal.

Reactions: kougkurt
Maybe, he’s got a NIL deal lined up at a million a year for the next 3 years, provided he doesn’t suffer a major injury in the Sun Bowl. After the first half he doesn’t want to risk losing 3 million. If that’s the case, can’t find fault in that line of thinking.
Does tampering exist? Or can a scholarship athlete be approached by “anyone” with regard to transfers or NIL deals?

Player tampering before kids enter the portal… causing kids to stop playing at halftime of bowl games would be a huge issue.

The NCAA left no boundaries on this issue. It’s one thing to enter the portal. It’s another to be fielding offers before you enter the portal.
And what? When has the NCAA ever been a model of consistency for enforcing their “rules”

The NCAA appears to be neutered by the NIL and ensuing chaos. Emmert has the perfect job too as a result. Collect his $1M+ per year and sit in his plush office and twiddle his thumbs all day. What a life!

And what? When has the NCAA ever been a model of consistency for enforcing their “rules”

Oh I don’t disagree. I don’t think the starting qb at Oklahoma rolls into the portal without having had dms offering him $$$.

Is it far fetched to think a SEC school in need of a qb saw JDL and made an offer?

The value is in multi year players because of the 1 time free transfer. Once a kid has transferred in, it costs him eligibility to leave again. QBs with 3 seasons of eligibility and a redshirt season ~ with a year of starting under their belt ~ will likely have more market value.

At this point, why would schools like WSU or Mtn West or Big Sky schools invest in high school players? If they show up, play well, leave for NIL $ and you are left holding the bag.

Im seriously about to change my thinking on recruiting. Why take high school kids at all? Protect your program by taking transfers and burn up their 1 time free roll in the portal. That way they have incentive to stay.

Oh I don’t disagree. I don’t think the starting qb at Oklahoma rolls into the portal without having had dms offering him $$$.

Is it far fetched to think a SEC school in need of a qb saw JDL and made an offer?

The value is in multi year players because of the 1 time free transfer. Once a kid has transferred in, it costs him eligibility to leave again. QBs with 3 seasons of eligibility and a redshirt season ~ with a year of starting under their belt ~ will likely have more market value.

At this point, why would schools like WSU or Mtn West or Big Sky schools invest in high school players? If they show up, play well, leave for NIL $ and you are left holding the bag.

Im seriously about to change my thinking on recruiting. Why take high school kids at all? Protect your program by taking transfers and burn up their 1 time free roll in the portal. That way they have incentive to stay.

"Why take high school kids at all?"

This has become a very legitimate question.

it solidifies my opinion that he gave up
Perhaps he gave up before the game or told someone his plan and the OL got a little payback by letting a few Chippewas in.

We'll never know. It could be he gave up ala Deon Burnett. He could have stalked off like Chad Davis when he saw the competition coming down the pipeline. Or perhaps the whole Rolo/vaxx thing played into it.

He's gone. Bye. Have a nice life, Jayden. You had the chance to be mentioned with the legends. Now you're just a guy.

Reactions: TSKCoug and SDCoug

You wanted this.

Coaches get paid, players should too, remember? Damn the fine print, f the greedy coaches and institutions, let's get players paid NOW!

You wanted this.

Coaches get paid, players should too, remember? Damn the fine print, f the greedy coaches and institutions, let's get players paid NOW!
Here is the problem . They are imitating the NFL. The NFL has control over its players for a certain period. They have cost control in a salary cap. They have one way contracts with the teams . The teams can cut them but a portion is guaranteed .

Eventually the answer will be the NFL will create a developmental league . If your intention is to go to a vo tech then the developmental league is your ticket. If you want an education without the NIL and transfer portal then college ball will be for you .

It will come to a head. Think if A and M really did spend 30 mil on a class in NIL money…. And they don’t win …. There will be a problem . Business people do not like to make bad investments . “I paid 150k in NIL for a qb that can’t the broad side of a barn “.

Does tampering exist? Or can a scholarship athlete be approached by “anyone” with regard to transfers or NIL deals?
I personally think that CougPatrol offered him an NIL, JDL mistook him for someone from another team and he quit at halftime.

I saw everything I needed to see in the USC game in 2020. Then I saw it again v Utah State.

Agree there were some eyebrow raising things. But I don't think I saw enough to know one way or another.

Remember that Mike Price did things that caused us to pull out hair out early on in his career.

You wanted this.

The NCAA needs to step up and act like the SEC.

Not the Southeast Conference. Like the Securities Exchange Commission.

Prior to the Crash of '29, no holds bar trading and all sorts of shenanigans existed. Let the buy beware, get that money. And then it all went to hell in a handbasket.

The NCAA needs to come up with some form of standard contract for its member institutions to use. Something like:

In exchange for a scholarship at a member institution, the student-athlete agrees to contribute x% of any NIL proceeds to a pool to be shared equally among ALL student athletes at NCAA institutions.

In exchange for a scholarship, should the athlete earn in excess of the 1.5 times the value of tuition, books and living stipend, the athlete agrees to reimburse the university for said costs.

In exchange for a scholarship at a member institution, the student-athlete agrees all NIL proceeds shall be administered by NCAA Escrow Co which shall deduct fees and reimbursements prior to net disbursement to the student athlete.

Student athlete shall submit copies of income tax returns to the NCAA.

Without some form of regulation/reimbursement, kiss college athletics good bye. It will become pro club teams with a school attached.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG

Prior to the Crash of '29, no holds bar trading and all sorts of shenanigans existed. Let the buy beware, get that money. And then it all went to hell in a handbasket.

The NCAA needs to come up with some form of standard contract for its member institutions to use. Something like:

In exchange for a scholarship at a member institution, the student-athlete agrees to contribute x% of any NIL proceeds to a pool to be shared equally among ALL student athletes at NCAA institutions.

In exchange for a scholarship, should the athlete earn in excess of the 1.5 times the value of tuition, books and living stipend, the athlete agrees to reimburse the university for said costs.

In exchange for a scholarship at a member institution, the student-athlete agrees all NIL proceeds shall be administered by NCAA Escrow Co which shall deduct fees and reimbursements prior to net disbursement to the student athlete.

Without some form of regulation/reimbursement, kiss college athletics good bye. It will become pro club teams with a school attached.

And coaches should put their earnings in a pool to be shared equally by all head coaches...

That'll happen, right? 😀

Here is the problem . They are imitating the NFL. The NFL has control over its players for a certain period. They have cost control in a salary cap. They have one way contracts with the teams . The teams can cut them but a portion is guaranteed .

Eventually the answer will be the NFL will create a developmental league . If your intention is to go to a vo tech then the developmental league is your ticket. If you want an education without the NIL and transfer portal then college ball will be for you .

It will come to a head. Think if A and M really did spend 30 mil on a class in NIL money…. And they don’t win …. There will be a problem . Business people do not like to make bad investments . “I paid 150k in NIL for a qb that can’t the broad side of a barn “.
Some were insistent when NIL first arose that businesspeople were smart and wouldn't shell out a bunch of money via NIL for recruits or non-star players outside of legitimate promotional contexts.

Unsurprisingly, that was wrong.

Now we have the fallback position, apparently, of businesspeople being smart and cutting off the spigot if the players they pay for don't win.

That also will turn out to be wrong in the aggregate. All one needs to do is extrapolate from pre-NIL expenditures on coaches, facilities, and bag men. Yes, some boosters at some schools won't be happy with the results and will cut off these expenditures, just like some boosters today will stop shelling out dough if they don't like the AD, the coach, or what they see on the field. Others will replace them and other schools will do well. Boosters and other interested parties at schools not doing well will believe, perhaps accurately, that to succeed, they need to do more.

It's very similar to what we've seen in the past couple decades with facilities and coaching salaries.

Perhaps he gave up before the game or told someone his plan and the OL got a little payback by letting a few Chippewas in.

We'll never know. It could be he gave up ala Deon Burnett. He could have stalked off like Chad Davis when he saw the competition coming down the pipeline. Or perhaps the whole Rolo/vaxx thing played into it.

He's gone. Bye. Have a nice life, Jayden. You had the chance to be mentioned with the legends. Now you're just a guy.
Being reported by a few, JDL threw a fit at halftime of the Sun Bowl Yes he was injured, but not to the point of coming out of the locker room to support his team in the second half

Being reported by a few, JDL threw a fit at halftime of the Sun Bowl Yes he was injured, but not to the point of coming out of the locker room to support his tea
Maturity & Leadership was always going to be an issue far more than his poor mechanics.

Defensive minded head coach & Leach coaching tree on offense wasn’t going to let the shenanigans continue.

Being reported by a few, JDL threw a fit at halftime of the Sun Bowl Yes he was injured, but not to the point of coming out of the locker room to support his team in the second half
That has been my suspicion all along. And I hope that, if that was the case, some coaches put him in his f@cking place and told him he wasn’t starting second half. F@ck this coddle mentality that’s permeated society.

And coaches should put their earnings in a pool to be shared equally by all head coaches...

That'll happen, right? 😀
The NCAA could just as easy put salary caps on coaches and CAPEX.

But they are greedy short term thinkers who won't figure it out until it's too late.

It might already be too late.

Reactions: kougkurt
Agree...so we have no more information about Rolo than we do Dickert. And Dickert chose to do what was best for the team and his coaches.

Rolo chose to do what is best for his health (since covid has zero chance of killing him and omicron will now give him natural immunity with only mild or no symptoms) and stood on a principle that neither of us would have given the incredible cost to him. That is admirable.

Wait until all these 19 year olds realize they have to pay taxes after they’ve spent all their dough on cars, hookers and blow.

Rolo chose to do what is best for his health (since covid has zero chance of killing him and omicron will now give him natural immunity with only mild or no symptoms) and stood on a principle that neither of us would have given the incredible cost to him. That is admirable.
I agree … it is admirable for he and his family. Less so for his coaches and team .

People are asked to do stuff all the time. He chose him. 11 other Pac 12 coaches may in principle agree with him, but there is a higher calling than that principle when it comes to team sports .

Threw a fit about what?

And, playing devils advocate here, but does screaming and yelling "how about you fcking fat pcs of sh!t give me more than half a second to throw the ball, and maybe block for our 3rd string RB" constitute "throwing a fit" or is that just being frustrated about the situation in whole (players sitting out, etc)? I don't know that that is what happened, but I'm struggling to figure out what else he would have been upset up enough to act out inappropriately.

Wait until all these 19 year olds realize they have to pay taxes after they’ve spent all their dough on cars, hookers and blow.
Blow is so 80’s. But it does leave more cash for cars and hookers .

Remember,,, this is the same college generation that is surprised after graduation that they are on the hook to repay their college loan, plus interest.
nah, that's the previous generation who knew exactly what they were doing when they took those loans out - 20 years to repay, like a house. Its been that way since the 90's, except the payments went from $100/ mo to $500-$1000/ mo, depending.

This generation has no idea what its doing, plowing straight ahead with their hands out demaning things they've never earned or have even a notion of what it takes to earn it. The colleges should all be ecstatic that they've been blessed with their presence.

Blow is so 80’s. But it does leave more cash for cars and hookers .
Based on my conversation a few weeks ago with a Spokane County sheriff on the narco squad, cocaine is a big concern right now. The cartels are moving it hard into the State of Washington since the new (lack of) laws make it relatively risk-free.

Threw a fit about what?

And, playing devils advocate here, but does screaming and yelling "how about you fcking fat pcs of sh!t give me more than half a second to throw the ball, and maybe block for our 3rd string RB" constitute "throwing a fit" or is that just being frustrated about the situation in whole (players sitting out, etc)? I don't know that that is what happened, but I'm struggling to figure out what else he would have been upset up enough to act out inappropriately.
Cause that isn’t leadership .

I agree … it is admirable for he and his family. Less so for his coaches and team .

People are asked to do stuff all the time. He chose him. 11 other Pac 12 coaches may in principle agree with him, but there is a higher calling than that principle when it comes to team sports .

Ed, it's not like Rolo was leading a brigade into an attack on an enemy post and bailed out. Let's not get silly. This is sports. Football specifically. He did what he did based on principles that I think are admirable. You don't. That's fine. We disagree. I disagree with you on worldview issues because I value liberty immensely and you value safety over liberty. It's okay. That's life.

Ed, it's not like Rolo was leading a brigade into an attack on an enemy post and bailed out. Let's not get silly. This is sports. Football specifically. He did what he did based on principles that I think are admirable. You don't. That's fine. We disagree. I disagree with you on worldview issues because I value liberty immensely and you value safety over liberty. It's okay. That's life.
Agreed -in the big scheme of things, college football is entertainment and a means for young people to get an education.

It is paltry relative to things that really matter. There are a whole bunch of things that would impact my way of life if lost, far more than whether college athletics survive.

But we just had a Vice President compare a few hundred unarmed people bum-rushing the capitol to Pearl Harbor and 9/11, where, literally, thousands of people lost their lives so not really surprised at any hyperbole these days.

Based on my conversation a few weeks ago with a Spokane County sheriff on the narco squad, cocaine is a big concern right now. The cartels are moving it hard into the State of Washington since the new (lack of) laws make it relatively risk-free.
Plus there’s no money in weed anymore.

criminals are going to criminal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT